Spvp and PvP in general is dying..

in PvP

Posted by: RaGe.9834

RaGe.9834

A lot of things happened, which were BAD changes:

- power creep introduced by HoT (never remedied, instead they added even more power creep)
- deletion of way too many amulets and thus valid builds
- lack of variety in builds (because of above mentioned reasons)
- match making has been horrible (leading to totally lopsided games)
- newly designed Hall of Memories lobby area is simply confusing, not to attract any newbies
- generally the spvp in Guild Wars 2 is not newbie nor spectator friendly (essential for growing player base)
- Arenanet developers have been listening to the wrong audience: elite players and falsely thinking this game could be esports

First person in a long while that correctly identified the issues at hand. As for The OP, You are right pvp has been dieing for a long godkitten time, most players including myself have quit entirely. I check in on the forums, and reddit once in awhile to see if they’ve clued in yet, but I’ve completely abandoned the game in all other respects. It’s not worth playing right now, nor will it be anytime in the near future, until the above topics are addressed. And bluntly, the core issue is that: “generally the spvp in Guild Wars 2 is not newbie […] friendly”. This is due to power creep, and anet’s HATRED!!!! of allowing anything tanky by which I mean damage mitigation (think protection buff), not damage nullification (think aegis buff). Because they overbuffed the protection of chrono’s early on, and it embarrassed them in a tournament. So instead of removing a few methods of damage nullification like they should have. They completely removed damage mitigation, and overbuffed the living kitten out of damage.

What are you a jock?…. get out, This is nerd landia, where nerds gather!

(edited by RaGe.9834)

in PvP

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

They were able to get away with such incompetence in the past because there literally was no competition.

There still is no competition.

Black Desert Online is so far removed from the qualities that make Guild Wars 2 great, I have no idea how anyone can maintain a lasting connection with that game. I went all in on that game. I bought the $100 pack for the four-days early access, grinded to 50 in literally a day, and then realized there’s absolutely nothing to do in that game aside from just mindlessly trashing mobs in circles.

It has a shallower end-game than Guild Wars 2 had in 2012, and the fact that you have to constantly grind to stay competitive makes it literally the antithesis to Guild Wars 2. There is very little skill involved in winning fights in BDO, and when it’s impossible to setup your combos because you’re trying to grapple someone with over 100 ping, you can’t help but admit the entire combat system is all flash but no substance. More importantly, many professions have too many mobility skills, and they just run away when they start losing a fight. If I could compare it best, it’s as if everyone was a thief or gs+s/wh warrior and just resets the second a fight goes south.

I’d rather play 3 more years of ArcheAge mageball kitten than put myself through that. BDO is a terrible game on so many levels; it’s bad enough that the only time that you can actually participate in castle sieges is on Saturday nights, so you have to choose between having a social life or forgoing experiencing the bulk of that game’s endgame.

I guess everyone has different tastes. But you really havent experienced endgame at 50, the game doesn’t actually begin till you hit 60 and have all TET gear. PvP is the endgame in BDO, the pve is just there as something to get you to 60 so you can pvp. I personally like it that way since i don’t enjoy pve at all. BDO is everything I like about GW2 with all the crap I dislike about it removed. PVE in BDO is basically just a meaningless minigame that you do until you can participate in pvp.

Node wars, GvG, and dueling arenas are the endgame. And once your gear is equal and both people are 60, its purely skill based as far as duels go. There are no cheese carry builds like there are in gw2 with craploads of passive traits and spammy conditions that take no skill to land on someone like in gw2. I like the fact that there are no dungeons or raids. Dungeons and raids, and the crying pvers are what ruined pvp and wvw balance in gw2.

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

TL;DR

1.) Conquest Sucks
2.) Everything is too spammy

end of story

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

It is funny they just removed all the amulets killing so many builds. I bet that is why loads of people quit. Really dumb to remove amulets like sentinal. No celestial and clerics was fine as hp and toughness is op. But sentinal had no healing power and they removed that too.

It is crazy

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Lilyanna.9361

Lilyanna.9361

They were able to get away with such incompetence in the past because there literally was no competition.

Black Desert Online is so far removed from the qualities that make Guild Wars 2 great, I have no idea how anyone can maintain a lasting connection with that game. I went all in on that game. I bought the $100 pack for the four-days early access, grinded to 50 in literally a day, and then realized there’s absolutely nothing to do in that game aside from just mindlessly trashing mobs in circles.

It has a shallower end-game than Guild Wars 2 had in 2012, and the fact that you have to constantly grind to stay competitive makes it literally the antithesis to Guild Wars 2. There is very little skill involved in winning fights in BDO, and when it’s impossible to setup your combos because you’re trying to grapple someone with over 100 ping, you can’t help but admit the entire combat system is all flash but no substance. More importantly, many professions have too many mobility skills, and they just run away when they start losing a fight. If I could compare it best, it’s as if everyone was a thief or gs+s/wh warrior and just resets the second a fight goes south.

I’d rather play 3 more years of ArcheAge mageball kitten than put myself through that. BDO is a terrible game on so many levels; it’s bad enough that the only time that you can actually participate in castle sieges is on Saturday nights, so you have to choose between having a social life or forgoing experiencing the bulk of that game’s endgame.

I guess everyone has different tastes. But you really havent experienced endgame at 50, the game doesn’t actually begin till you hit 60 and have all TET gear. PvP is the endgame in BDO, the pve is just there as something to get you to 60 so you can pvp. I personally like it that way since i don’t enjoy pve at all. BDO is everything I like about GW2 with all the crap I dislike about it removed. PVE in BDO is basically just a meaningless minigame that you do until you can participate in pvp.

Node wars, GvG, and dueling arenas are the endgame. And once your gear is equal and both people are 60, its purely skill based as far as duels go. There are no cheese carry builds like there are in gw2 with craploads of passive traits and spammy conditions that take no skill to land on someone like in gw2. I like the fact that there are no dungeons or raids. Dungeons and raids, and the crying pvers are what ruined pvp and wvw balance in gw2.

You are relating apples to oranges pretty much.
You are trying to compare a PVP-based mmo to a PVE-based mmo that has very little PVP aspects to it.
Good job
/slowclap
And the fact that BDO has a second ‘awakening’ where you are basically revert back to base class, except a little bit stronger is simply laughable.
BDO can do nothing but copycat other franchises and piggyback off of games like Blade and Soul, and any other typical Korean-based PVP mmo.

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

You are relating apples to oranges pretty much.
You are trying to compare a PVP-based mmo to a PVE-based mmo that has very little PVP aspects to it.
Good job
/slowclap
And the fact that BDO has a second ‘awakening’ where you are basically revert back to base class, except a little bit stronger is simply laughable.
BDO can do nothing but copycat other franchises and piggyback off of games like Blade and Soul, and any other typical Korean-based PVP mmo.

Had to laugh at this. You are knocking a game that is adding features that are proving successful far as PvP goes?

I wonder what would have happened If ANet pulled this card from GW1 to GW2?

Maybe we may have had another highly successful PvP MMO. Instead of a wannabe PvP MMO now classified as a PvE MMO. Because the devs highly mismanage all of the PvP aspects of it. And just starting focusing on PvE as a cop out. Because balancing PvE is super easy.

That being said I still enjoy GW2 for it’s PvE action. However I used to enjoy GW2 for both it’s PvP and PvE action before the devs gave up on PvP here.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

And once your gear is equal and both people are 60, its purely skill based as far as duels go.

LOL, okay. It’s “purely skill based” only after you dump hundreds of hours into the game, which for the most part involves getting trashed by top-tier players at Sausen or pirates when you accidentally stumble into their instance.

I have friends of mine from ArcheAge that have full-timed that game since it came out. They literally 1v10 people; if that’s something that interests you, so be it, but you couldn’t pick a game more far removed from the qualities that made up Guild Wars 2.

The completely horizontal PvP progression is what drove this game’s popularity, and until another game on the market offers it—and with a competent PvP team that balances their modes regularly—Guild Wars 2 will continue to have zero competition.

It’s pretty telling when PvE-oriented MMOs like FFXIV and World of Warcraft offer a closer comparison to Guild Wars 2 PvP than Black Desert does.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in PvP

Nikkinella.8254

And once your gear is equal and both people are 60, its purely skill based as far as duels go.

LOL, okay. It’s “purely skill based” only after you dump hundreds of hours into the game, which for the most part involves getting trashed by top-tier players at Sausen or pirates when you accidentally stumble into their instance.

I have friends of mine from ArcheAge that have full-timed that game since it came out. They literally 1v10 people; if that’s something that interests you, so be it, but you couldn’t pick a game more far removed from the qualities that made up Guild Wars 2.

The completely horizontal PvP progression is what drove this game’s popularity, and until another game on the market offers it—and with a competent PvP team that balances their modes regularly—Guild Wars 2 will continue to have zero competition.

It’s pretty telling when PvE-oriented MMOs like FFXIV and World of Warcraft offer a closer comparison to Guild Wars 2 PvP than Black Desert does.

That’s why GW2 is such a success with esports and has thousands of people watching the pvp streams all the time right? Oh yeah, that’s right, GW2 was dropped by ESL. So tell me again how GW2 has zero competition? I guess removing yourself from competition altogether is one way of not having anything else compete against you.

Meanwhile in Korea BDO has the Arsha arena where you can get an instant max level character with all skills and max level gear and compete in structured pvp that’s perfectly balanced. Its only a matter of time before NA/EU get the patch for the arena as well. So, your argument is invalid, They’re atleast doing something rather than stagnating with the same crap for the past 5 years like GW2 has done and failing miserably at trying to get into esports. So yeah, Anet better step up their game and fix their crap because they do have competition with BDO and BNS for people that care more about pvp than pve.

(edited by Nikkinella.8254)

in PvP

Posted by: Tyrion.9015

Tyrion.9015

TLDR: Bring back gw1’s PVP. That was a true esport. You are launching an expac soon so think about it

in PvP

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

TLDR: Bring back gw1’s PVP. That was a true esport. You are launching an expac soon so think about it

GW1’s PvP was ahead of its time, too bad it didn’t come about in the age of Twitch and all that. I miss it.

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Meanwhile in Korea BDO has the Arsha arena where you can get an instant max level character with all skills and max level gear and compete in structured pvp that’s perfectly balanced. Its only a matter of time before NA/EU get the patch for the arena as well. So, your argument is invalid.

Oh, really? I wasn’t aware such a thing existed; that’s actually very interesting. Is there a time table for when NA BDO servers will get this?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Nikkinella.8254

Meanwhile in Korea BDO has the Arsha arena where you can get an instant max level character with all skills and max level gear and compete in structured pvp that’s perfectly balanced. Its only a matter of time before NA/EU get the patch for the arena as well. So, your argument is invalid.

Oh, really? I wasn’t aware such a thing existed; that’s actually very interesting. Is there a time table for when NA BDO servers will get this?

Unfortunately I have no idea. Korea only recently got it, so it will probably be awhile before we get it. We still haven’t even gotten part 1 for the Kamasylvia expansion, and Korea is already in part 2. And they got the arena after that. So its a good possibility we wont be getting it for awhile whenever they decide to release Kamasylvia for our region.