Stacking thiefs does not work...

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

What is wrong with thieves? Everyone says thief is fine. Devs apprently think the class is OP since they keep nerfing it non-stop kek.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Thieves are the best at their role, and they are easily the coolest looking profession with their custom dodge. So naturally, a lot of people play them.

If you play ranked, I assume you have at least one other build you’re comfortable with, maybe a bruiser, or a less squishy marauder, like a warrior, guardian or engi. So if you see another thief, swap before the game.

I know it sucks if you try to get the achievements, I had that problem with Champion Shadow and Champion Illusionist. If you really, really want to play thief at all cost, play in unranked. It doesn’t matter that much that you have two thieves there, because it’s in general less competitive. Good luck!

in PvP

Sorel.4870

Im playing thief for years now and its the only class I like…. I have the achievements anyway I just dont want to swap main because the matchmaking is bad. I wont ever play unranked because of trollhamer/courtyard. What is my option?Quit thief?idk…

Well, at this point, not much. If that is of any consolation, I play unranked all the time and almost never get Skyhammer or Courtyard (or even Spirit Watch, that I like) because no one votes for them.

Maybe HoT will bring a new thief build with a different role, but I doubt it: mobility is and always will be our strong suit. The last advice I could give you is to try to find a team to get better games. Again, good luck

edit: also, the matchmaking is not bad (in that case). It’s just that the profession stacking algorithm doesn’t know which builds can be stacked and which can not (it depends on the meta game). So you’re always at risk of having another player playing your profession, unless you’re playing engineer, because you see less of them.

(edited by Sorel.4870)

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

Im playing thief for years now and its the only class I like…. I have the achievements anyway I just dont want to swap main because the matchmaking is bad. I wont ever play unranked because of trollhamer/courtyard. What is my option?Quit thief?idk…

When you want to solo queue at high level with Thief, you NEED to have a secondary class to switch to if there’s too many thieves on your team.That’s just how it is.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

Don’t swap from thief. Ever. Every time your team loses due to double thief, smear it in your teammates face. Because “thief is fine” right?

Baer

in PvP

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

Having two thieves shouldn’t be an autoloss since thief is fine. I mean it’s not like thieves are good at only 1 thing and having extra just hurts your team… oh.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Don’t swap from thief. Ever. Every time your team loses due to double thief, smear it in your teammates face. Because “thief is fine” right?

that is what i am doing lol~

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

Also, I think an even bigger problem is when other thieves defend the class and say it’s perfectly fine, L2P pls.

Thieves that actually believe their class is fine suffer from some kind of mental illness where they prove their superiority over others by ignoring obvious flaws.

It’s interesting most thieves that deny the class’ weakness queue with a higher tier premade. They have no consideration at all for the majority solo queue thieves

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

more then 1 thief in team means lose, if you play against good players
if you win with more then 1 thief , your opponents are rly bad
golden rule of tpvp

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I actually disagree,

Ive ran many teams with 2 thieves and its fine, we were all partied and the comp was good so lets talk about it in a solo que way.

In solo que its all about understanding and skill level. If you have 2 thieves in a 4 vs 4 at mid your thieves might be a little lost on there roles. If you have 2 thieves on your team and there both trying to kill the bunker guardian at mid while 1 person at home needs help and the 2 people at far need help. Of course its gonna be a problem because there not rotating. That goes for any class in the game.

The premade team we ran with 2 thieves was shoutbow, staff ele bunker, cele burn guardian with 2 dps thieves. It worked pretty well not perfect but better then average.

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

You can design a comp around 2 thieves, it just needs 2 very strong bunkers on it too.
2 thieves team are just a a slightly worse version of mesmer + thief.

But in solo queue, 2 thieves works really bad because people don’t play to its strength, and you’ll see the non thieves rotate too much. Also, if the enemy team has a burn guard or a Lock On engineer, double thief is suddenly a lot worse.

By the way, 3 years Thief main here, and I’m in the camp that while Thief has a lot of issues, its a perfectly viable top conquest class. D/P SA is top tier.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

Not at all Nocta,

Thief’s are not viable, they give the apperance that they are through +1’ing and Backcaps, but let’s face it, our plus 1 role is entirely possible due to are offensive passives, you take away Vamp/ Soh, Shadow arts, Panic strikes, i can guarantee you your imaginary role of plus 1 will vanish.

As for backcapping, If your team can not win the 4vs4 at mid, they will not pull there home defender away, Which mean’s the thief will have to 1vs1 at far, If the defender know’s what he’s doing he can easily delay you to get reinforcements.

Finally, The only redeeming feature this game had was it’s combat mechanics, most people will agree with that statement. Sadly, arena net decided to remove that feature from the thieves to do list.

in PvP

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

But in solo queue, 2 thieves works really bad because people don’t play to its strength, and you’ll see the non thieves rotate too much. Also, if the enemy team has a burn guard or a Lock On engineer, double thief is suddenly a lot worse.

Basically this (though I care a whole lot less about the Lock On engineer since you have no business fighting that anyway, Lock On or no). When you have two thieves on your team the non-thieves need to focus on defending points for the double thief gank squad to come and murder – if one of the non-thieves decides they are going to be rotating heavily or going on solo missions you are going to have a bad time.

Also 2x thief is twice the chance of getting the ’I’m a teef duel me!!!’ #norotation guy on your team.

in PvP

Sorel.4870

Also, I think an even bigger problem is when other thieves defend the class and say it’s perfectly fine, L2P pls.

Thieves that actually believe their class is fine suffer from some kind of mental illness where they prove their superiority over others by ignoring obvious flaws.

It’s interesting most thieves that deny the class’ weakness queue with a higher tier premade. They have no consideration at all for the majority solo queue thieves

Yeah! You tell them! Everyone should play 1v1 builds, and just run to points and kill people!

I happen to have this “mental illness” you describe. While thief is my main, I play every profession but elementalist. You know why that’s fun? Because they all feel and play different. It’s a team game, and it’s balanced again different roles, and thief is not only “perfectly fine”, it’s by far the best in its role. So far, I must say, that it was ALWAYS in the meta. Now, the lack of different builds is boring, but thief is definitely not trash tier.

This thread underlines one of the biggest problem in MMO pvp: people get too attached to one profession. If you don’t like the role a thief is supposed to fill, or can’t play it, then don’t! Play ele, or engineer if you like to duel. And boys, even if you soloq like I do, play this game like it’s a team game!

in PvP

cakeonroof.7385

Yeah! You tell them! Everyone should play 1v1 builds, and just run to points and kill people!

I happen to have this “mental illness” you describe. While thief is my main, I play every profession but elementalist. You know why that’s fun? Because they all feel and play different. It’s a team game, and it’s balanced again different roles, and thief is not only “perfectly fine”, it’s by far the best in its role. So far, I must say, that it was ALWAYS in the meta. Now, the lack of different builds is boring, but thief is definitely not trash tier.

This thread underlines one of the biggest problem in MMO pvp: people get too attached to one profession. If you don’t like the role a thief is supposed to fill, or can’t play it, then don’t! Play ele, or engineer if you like to duel. And boys, even if you soloq like I do, play this game like it’s a team game!

Hell yeah brah. Mentall illness ftw. Dude hook me up w/ some pills so I’m alert when I +1 these noobs.

I love my mobility, damage, stealth. A small buff to survivability is all I need. It’s like this, the longer I’m alive, the sooner I can decap far and rez all you downed scrubbah dub dubs. I play all 8.

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

Why should people have to switch off of thief? If I like thief I’m going to queue thief and I’m not going to swap. How many times have you told an ele to swap? Necro? Warrior? Engi? Chances are, you haven’t. This horse kitten about thief shouldn’t be able to 1v1 needs to end. Ele/Mesmer roams almost as fast as thief, but they can still fight. Using your logic, we should strip all of mesmer and eles mobility, since they are great fighters.

Baer

in PvP

Sorel.4870

Why should people have to switch off of thief? If I like thief I’m going to queue thief and I’m not going to swap. How many times have you told an ele to swap? Necro? Warrior? Engi? Chances are, you haven’t. This horse kitten about thief shouldn’t be able to 1v1 needs to end. Ele/Mesmer roams almost as fast as thief, but they can still fight. Using your logic, we should strip all of mesmer and eles mobility, since they are great fighters.

Well, maybe I’m not the best example, but I switch when:

1) I play a thief and there is another in the team
2) I play a shatter mesmer and there is another in the team
3) I play a marauder engineer and there is another in the team (rare)
3) I play a condition build and there are two necros in the opposite team
4) I play a marauder build and there are three others in my team
5) I play a shatter mesmer and there are two thieves in the opposite team
6) I play anything else than necro and there are two or more eles in the opposite team

Basically, most mobile roamers/team fighters don’t stack well. If you can, and you’re in ranked, it’s always a good idea to compliment your team composition.

edit : that being said, Drennon is not completely wrong. Ele has too much mobility for the 1v1 potential is has. Mesmer has not: let’s be serious, you either rely on stealth or kiting to win, which sucks in Conquest, and have no access to swiftness, no leaps, and Blink. I think we’ll face a similar problem with revenant, which performs extremely well in duel, but has better mobility than thief, given it has a target.

(edited by Sorel.4870)

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

I’m not rude enough to dictate people what class they should run when everyone there queued solo. No one should.

However when someone makes the initiative to swap because they feel it’s best for the team, then I acknowledge what they did and thank them. It creates a pleasant environment too which adds to the enjoyment of the game

in PvP

Posted by: DuckzOnFire.4027

DuckzOnFire.4027

Hah, Gottem.
/15char

Attachments:

Duck

in PvP

cakeonroof.7385

Hah, Gottem.
/15char

how much did u pay them? next time I can negotiate a discount for u

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Since the MMR patch i never had a game with less than 2 thiefs.Does the matchmaking now ignore class or what?!?! Its worse than ever…Please fix this fast Anet 2 thiefs = instaloose

fyi, no combination = instant lose. a 1,000 different things could happen, and you have a equal chance to win or lose.

in PvP

Posted by: Ominous.8702

Ominous.8702

Since the MMR patch i never had a game with less than 2 thiefs.Does the matchmaking now ignore class or what?!?! Its worse than ever…Please fix this fast Anet 2 thiefs = instaloose

I think the real issue is that Thief is not easy to play, at all. The class has one viable spec in the current meta, and is the squishiest class in the game, by far. For whatever reason, a lot of people play Thief and most of the are terrible. Hell, I main Thief and I can honestly say I’m barely above average in terms of skill.

TL;DR: It’s the players, not the class, though the class is certainly far from auto-win.

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

If a thief engages someone 1v1 on point that person has the right to win if they play the fight better.

End of story.

Currently it is not so due to various nerfs and over buffing/dumbing down of the rest of the classes. Anet needs to make it so you can’t just park someone on home denying the point to any thief.

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

hopefully DD brings s/d or something like it back. d/p doesn’t needs buffs imo but thief does suffer heavily in build diversity.

I’ve theory crafted some brutal DD builds for WvW, but i dont know how good they would be for pvp. it’s more roaming focused.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

If enemy team is 50% combined with condi builds you lose with more than 2 thieves. 1 thief is enough.

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Is this another thief player complain thread on how thieves are weak? ………again? sigh….
*rolling my eyes!

in PvP

Posted by: FeelsAlright.5860

FeelsAlright.5860

Hah, Gottem.
/15char

See, Thief is fine! Tbh it probably needs a nerf if people are stacking 5 of them.

/s

Vipassana

in PvP

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

Hah, Gottem.
/15char

Something happens that goes against your prejudices, and you assume bribery. Again. You are so predictable.

in PvP

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I’ve been playing non-stop in my free time in pvp and I’ve been the only thief in most games, others having two at most including myself

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

I’ve been in matches where a kitten thief carried hard – fast decaps, +1, game turning rezzes. Amazing stuff what a good thief can do

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I’ve been in matches where a kitten thief carried hard – fast decaps, +1, game turning rezzes. Amazing stuff what a good thief can do

Exactly that. I’ve also gotten incredibly bad thieves who think they’re Warriors or Guardians… staying in mid fights while i’m over here realizing a node is open, all my skills are on CD so i’m forced to do their job… a Guardian should not have to rotate off to decap when you have two Thieves :/

Thieves are like Mesmers. You can make two work on any competent team who knows how to rotate these mobile classes around the map. Place any two random Thieves in a match and they’re simply hard to make work; rotating the Thieves around. Ping the map – tell the Thieves where to rotate and if they listen, you should have few issues.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

cakeonroof.7385

Hah, Gottem.
/15char

Something happens that goes against your prejudices, and you assume bribery. Again. You are so predictable.

If you looked up rare-freak-anomaly in the diqshunaree, you’d see that screenshot as an image definition.

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

My biggest issue with thief at the moment is that the class is completely dependent on the competence of the other 4 players on your team.

If you have 4 other players who can already win their fights and rotate well, the thief will just help you win by a larger and safer margin.

If you have 4 players that cannot win their fights, the thief is just a liability.

For example, if your team has a 5v5 teamfight in mid and the other 4 wipe, there is literally nothing you can do as a thief to help your team win until all at least one other player on your team respawns. You can’t challenge an opponent to hold a cap or neut at home. Can’t really decap and hold a neut at far. If you try to help an ally push a side point to 2v1 someone, your team will probably wipe 3v4. If you push a 5v5 again your team will probably lose. If you try to keep one opponent occupied by threatening decaps your team will probably lose the 4v4. Etc. The best thing you can do is probably relog as an ele or something.

Other classes can at least maintain a neutral point for a while. Some can even force the opposing team to bring back two of theirs to fight you, thus swinging the favor more towards your team. The thief however, cannot of any of these.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

in PvP

cakeonroof.7385

2 thieves can work if you guys rotate and decap like chickens w/ heads cut off. When I had 2 thieves on my team, I swapped from engie to guard with team support to help them a bit.

Attachments:

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Had 2 thieves, 2 mes, 1 necro the other day. Told my team to send 3 home, 2 far, and for the thieves to rotate like mad.

We won 500 – 70

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

just a rare exception (only because enemy wasn’t organized lol)
enemy had 2 necros, we had ele and mes as non-thief

i have to thank those guys for actually not ragequiting and trying till the end, especially ele, he held point like a baus in 2v3 situation

Attachments: