Staff Elementalist

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Divine.3279

Divine.3279

Someone please explain to me why this is becoming a thing now in PvP.

I’ve seen already 15-20 Staff Elementalist’s running around in Ranked, and every time I have had one of them on my team, its an automatic Loss.

Now, I don’t know much about Elementalists, but I do know that Staff Ele is one of the worst builds to run in PvP

So what’s happening? Is there hype for it or something now that I’m not understanding? Or is it just players trolling?

Just a Necromancer
Nothing that Special
Necromancer Guide for PvP

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Its not boring.

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Glael.7643

Glael.7643

If you are on lower divisons : might be some noob

main necro,thief
nerf thief, nerf it all

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

There are some very skilled players that can pull it off but they’re few and far in between. Most of the attacks are incredibly slow, have massive tells and can be avoided by simply moving

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

So the thing about Staff Tempest is that it puts out more heals and more damage. It’s all around better than Dagger/Focus… except for not having Obsidian Flesh. I run Staff Tempest some games, but never against a Thief and never against two or more power bursts. It’s a very situational, but usable set. Some people just see success with it against some comps, so they decide to run it. When they run into issues, they don’t realize the other team’s comp is different, so something must be different. Their play is the same, so it must be their team. Thus, they learn nothing and keep playing it against bad comps.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Didn’t realize there were other ele weapons besides staff. Have they always been in game?

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: BennyKay.6139

BennyKay.6139

So the thing about Staff Tempest is that it puts out more heals and more damage. It’s all around better than Dagger/Focus… except for not having Obsidian Flesh. I run Staff Tempest some games, but never against a Thief and never against two or more power bursts. It’s a very situational, but usable set. Some people just see success with it against some comps, so they decide to run it. When they run into issues, they don’t realize the other team’s comp is different, so something must be different. Their play is the same, so it must be their team. Thus, they learn nothing and keep playing it against bad comps.

I would agree. I did staff a few times with some decent results. I am still a slave to D/F however.

Anteater Academy
Tempest | Reaper | DH
Platinum Rated Trash Player

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Typical Josre…

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

In PVE it puts out more damage but does it in pvp? Most of staff stacks are slow Aoe tgarsctelegraphed and easily avoided. I’ve even kited the staff autoattacks without dodging in past.

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

Someone please explain to me why this is becoming a thing now in PvP.

I’ve seen already 15-20 Staff Elementalist’s running around in Ranked, and every time I have had one of them on my team, its an automatic Loss.

Now, I don’t know much about Elementalists, but I do know that Staff Ele is one of the worst builds to run in PvP

So what’s happening? Is there hype for it or something now that I’m not understanding? Or is it just players trolling?

Are you talking about NA ranked? NA is kinda less meta demanding.

Staff isn’t the worst, it’s more fun, demands higher skill cap and again it’s fun (every thing is more fun than d/f). Meta tier builds have still more advantages and you have to work double on your own sustain without focus.

Who knows maybe some esl pro tested something on strim and people are following the lead but I doubt that.

Edit: If you think about it HoT power creep was kinda nerfed during this year so d/f doesn’t feel so must have now…staff was meta before in season 1 (ele had similar role like right now + bunkering). Remember this guys that we didn’t had any pro-league event and nobody tested seriously last two major balance patches.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

(edited by Mr Godlike.6098)

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Staff can put a lot of pressure on a point, but it’s much squishier and way slower than D/F. It has much better mobility and AoE pressure however. D/F is generally better with the design of Tempest, which is made to be in the thick of a fight. Staff is made to range. But if you’re not fighting against a team of Thieves, Engis, Revs or Power Warriors (in other words, teams that don’t exist), Staff does great! You can still sit on an ally to support, and jump out when needed because of the increased mobility. If only damage wasn’t so insane and Eles were able to take a hit without needing CDs like Obsidian Flesh. If only…

Still, Staff can do well if you can play it well. Just that D/F does everything better with Tempest. If you were never to be focused, I’d say Staff would do better, but because you can drop so quickly under enough focus, D/F is the only set that helps you maintain some mobility, some healing and be a lot less squishy overall against high mobility opponents.

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

Staff can put a lot of pressure on a point, but it’s much squishier and way slower than D/F. It has much better mobility and AoE pressure however. D/F is generally better with the design of Tempest, which is made to be in the thick of a fight. Staff is made to range. But if you’re not fighting against a team of Thieves, Engis, Revs or Power Warriors (in other words, teams that don’t exist), Staff does great! You can still sit on an ally to support, and jump out when needed because of the increased mobility. If only damage wasn’t so insane and Eles were able to take a hit without needing CDs like Obsidian Flesh. If only…

Still, Staff can do well if you can play it well. Just that D/F does everything better with Tempest. If you were never to be focused, I’d say Staff would do better, but because you can drop so quickly under enough focus, D/F is the only set that helps you maintain some mobility, some healing and be a lot less squishy overall against high mobility opponents.

I could add that if you have rev buddy or other non ele source of fury mender staff dps in team fights becomes something much more then pressure and you don’t have to facetank everything to apply it.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

Staff Elementalist

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

You can avoid staff attacks, but it just drops it on node, similar to a symbols guards.