Stat point pool instead of amulets?

in PvP

Posted by: mooty.4560

mooty.4560

I’m sure this has been mulled over but I wanted to talk about it anyway. It seems to me that with jewels already long gone, the last little bit of stat customization is now completely gone from sPvP with the move to specializations. I like the new system but I don’t like that we’re dependent on amulets to get stat spreads. It doesn’t allow for enough flexibility.

I propose that in sPvP players have access to a stat point pool that gives X amount of points which a player can choose to invest in base stats as well as condition duration and the like. You could still use this system to emulate something like celestial by slowly raising the amount of points required to move up in any one particular stat. That way if a player chooses to spread their stats out a la celestial, they’ll be able to do so albeit each stat will max out much sooner due to increased investment costs. Mainly, though, this would allow for far more customization when it comes to stat spreads and I for one think that’s a good thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

During Closed Beta/Alpha, the stats where based on points allocated to certain trees and I feel this was the best way to customize your character. But, they dropped this idea because it was too complex for players… at least thats what they got from feedback.

It wouldn’t make much sense to players for gear to have no stats at all/

in PvP

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

During Closed Beta/Alpha, the stats where based on points allocated to certain trees and I feel this was the best way to customize your character. But, they dropped this idea because it was too complex for players… at least thats what they got from feedback.

It wouldn’t make much sense to players for gear to have no stats at all/

But in PvP you can’t mix and match gear to get a desired Stat mix. You are bound by the amulet. I like that they removed stats for trait points but giving people more freedom of mixing stats in PvP would be a good thing. I wish they brought jewels back or like some other thread said. Split stats between an amulet and 2 rings.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Just split the amulet into multiple items e.g. amulet, ring, ring. It’s much easier to do and achieves 90% of what your proposal does.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

Matching stat lines to the traits forced certain builds to be offensive or defensive when you may have wanted the other.
Putting stats on the amulet solely makes it so you have to choose whether you want to do big numbers or live longer. I think it is reasonable change because now you literally can’t have it all.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

in PvP

Posted by: Slein Jinn.8173

Slein Jinn.8173

The system is very constrained by design. It is bad game design to give players too much flexibility, as too many moving parts becomes impossible to balance. It’s called “Structured PvP” for a reason—the system is more rigidly structured on purpose.

And in the end, the extra “choice” ends up being illusory, anyway, because players will work out what is optimal, and any competitive player will run the optimal setup anyway. In practise, “greater flexibility” ends up translating to “more ways for low- and mid-tier players to screw up”.

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Imagine a thief with 1hp, 1toughness, 1healing power and around 6k attack, 100% crit rate and around 400% ferocity.

Or a bunker with 60k HP and 6k toughness with 10k healing power.

No thanks.

Allowing for wvw style stat customization with exotic only gear would be nice, though.

in PvP

Julie Yann.5379

Imagine a thief with 1hp, 1toughness, 1healing power and around 6k attack, 100% crit rate and around 400% ferocity.

No thanks.

Allowing for wvw style stat customization with exotic only gear would be nice, though.

I don’t think you understand what is being said. You wouldn’t be getting more stats, you only have more ways of dividing the stat pool. So you wouldn’t be getting stupid crazy numbers like the ones you listed.

in PvP

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

I don’t think they’ll ever do this seeing as the whole point of amulets is that you can easier balance around known stat combinations.

I find OP’s idea intriguing though and maybe it could be added as a small bonus to current amulets, like jewels of old:

Keep the current system (or shave a few stats of amulets overall) and give players a choice of investing ~300-500 stats into a single stat of their choice? So for example soldier amulet players could invest a bit into crit chance or ferocity, elementalists could invest into vitality, etc.

Basically give us a bit of the old stat bonus choices we had from jewels and/or trait lines back.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

No thanks.

I don’t think you understand what is being said. You wouldn’t be getting more stats, you only have more ways of dividing the stat pool. So you wouldn’t be getting stupid crazy numbers like the ones you listed.

So how do you suggest dividing the stats? We’ve already been given most, if not all, of the stat combinations that make sense. Well, we don’t have sinister, dire, nomad, etc but sinister is close to rampager and dire isn’t here for balance issues.

in PvP

mooty.4560

If it’s true that the introduction of amulets was to simplify things for more casual players then “balancing around known stat combinations” shouldn’t have anything to do with it. What I would propose in this scenario is both. Let players choose to toss on amulets for quick respecs(sort of like a template system) as well as offer a stat pool for the more discerning types. Don’t diminish the depth/quality of the game for simplicity’s sake.

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

Stat combinations is literally the only thing separating wvw from sPvP. I don’t know why they’ve kept the stats separate, but I’m thankful. So many cheesy wvw builds -cough-condithief-cough- can’t make it through here. Imagine, for a second, if every condi spec was given the option to run dire. Imagine nomad bunker guards. Eughhh, no thanks.

in PvP

Julie Yann.5379

Stat combinations is literally the only thing separating wvw from sPvP. I don’t know why they’ve kept the stats separate, but I’m thankful. So many cheesy wvw builds -cough-condithief-cough- can’t make it through here. Imagine, for a second, if every condi spec was given the option to run dire. Imagine nomad bunker guards. Eughhh, no thanks.

What breaks WvW is not that stat variation. It’s all the extra added Buffs from food, guard stacks, bloodless and even World bonuses. Even the slight difference between exotic and ascended throws balance out. As for your previous question, there are plenty of stat combos that are impossible to get now that they removed stats from traits and I’m not talking g about dire and sinister. Power/prec/vitality/healing would be nice to get on my Guard.

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

Well,you can get power, toughness, healing power and ferocity. The missing vitality and crit can be easily bridged with valor or radiance’s fury/crit bonuses while using honor for the vitality bonus, which also adds might and a smidge of res support. Get creative with your build lol.

in PvP

mooty.4560

So because you don’t like going up against particular builds you don’t want more variation? You never know, they might release a Nomad’s amulet at some stage. More over I’ve suggested in the past (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Merge-WvW-with-sPvP/first#post4370870) that the gearing/attribute system of sPvP be introduced into WvW for vastly easier respecs and to prevent the advantages gained by imbalanced foods/buffs as the previous poster mentioned.

I think players deserve the freedom of fine tuning stats but don’t deserve to use foods and other consumable type buffs in PvP formats of any kind(cough, WvW). Also, WvW would be a lot easier for up-levels at that stage who are hugely disadvantaged without leveling and grinding out gear(not everyone’s favorite thing to do).

in PvP

Julie Yann.5379

Well,you can get power, toughness, healing power and ferocity. The missing vitality and crit can be easily bridged with valor or radiance’s fury/crit bonuses while using honor for the vitality bonus, which also adds might and a smidge of res support. Get creative with your build lol.

Who’s says I haven’t been creative with my builds? Build creativity is limited by the options at your disposal which is pretty limited at the moment. Also, the clerics amulet? lol. I’ll just stick to marauder or barbarian cause you can actually kill things with those. Guardian doesn’t need toughness, heavy armor with ample supply of protection, it is just a wasted stat.

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

I would kill to have jewels back

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]