State of guardian

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

I don’t play guardian but every time i play with 2 guardians ( or dh as you want ) … if the team on other side is not completely bad we lose … how is it possible ? is it so weak ?

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Unless you’re playing for a pro esl team you playing guardian/DH will not negatively impact the game in any way. The class is perfectly fine in a pug setting.

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

I think dh is pretty weak. Even in pug setting ( I am a pug) traps are too easy to dodge, movement speed is way slow, and health bar is too low to handle a proper burst. I love the class but I do not think the current state is that good.

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I notice there’s a skill cap to guardians (believe it or not…) because I’ve seen some who absolutely have no idea how to sustain themselves vs burst scenarios.
Pub Guardians are fine.

If you’re having issues with players “dodging” your traps… stick to just Purification and ToF. You wont have that issue if you play right.

Other than that, we struggle in anything near ESL level because colaborative players knows how to burst + cc the crap out of us. Heck… a good stunlocking thief alone can obliterate us lol… it’s ridiculous. We’re completely reliant on our passive stability and Virtues that when we don’t have them, bye bye Guardians. I cry every time my F2 or F3 gets interrupted by something random…

Hit Legendary at 69% winrate soloQ btw, and that’s not better than other Guardians of my level.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I don’t play guardian but every time i play with 2 guardians ( or dh as you want ) … if the team on other side is not completely bad we lose … how is it possible ? is it so weak ?

I have played plenty of games where the team with multiple guards has won. Guards (DH) are extremely powerful if they use traps intelligently and position well.

They are usually easier to focus down than an ele, engi, warrior, thief, mesmer, revenant, or necro so will often be one of the first to be targeted, but with good movement and chaining of invuns/shields/etc they can survive quite well for the amount of burst they carry. The worst thing I find when playing guard is how slow they are unless you have someone to grant swiftness.

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

My experience with in diamond and legend tier is that guardians are free food currently.

They can’t hold points. A scrapper warrior and necros will eat them alive. Even thif now is 50 50.

They can’t do dmg. Guardian is a 1 trick pony. Once traps are used you only have true shot which does about 2k on most targets. Assuming it doesn’t get dodged or reflected by the countless reflects

Easily countered. Ele scrapper pretty much wipe the floor with guards or easily negate any kind of threat a DH poses. Air focus 4. Then 2x magnetic aura and the DH is useless for the next 20 sec.

I cheer whenever I see a DH on the opposite team. I know the match is pretty much won

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Maybe because you don’t play guardian?

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

My experience with in diamond and legend tier is that guardians are free food currently.

They can’t hold points. A scrapper warrior and necros will eat them alive. Even thif now is 50 50.

They can’t do dmg. Guardian is a 1 trick pony. Once traps are used you only have true shot which does about 2k on most targets. Assuming it doesn’t get dodged or reflected by the countless reflects

Easily countered. Ele scrapper pretty much wipe the floor with guards or easily negate any kind of threat a DH poses. Air focus 4. Then 2x magnetic aura and the DH is useless for the next 20 sec.

I cheer whenever I see a DH on the opposite team. I know the match is pretty much won

Guardian is nowhere as bad as you describe, losing to necro especially rise a red flag for me, none of the classes that you list can “wipe” the floor with a guardian…as long as you know against what you’re playing, which honestly doesn’t seem to be the case here.

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Ele neutralizes the longbow (engi add here). But against the rest a good guardian is a threat.
The problem is if you fight an ele with a guard, you are at a disadvantage and since ele support is common to needed the guard is in a bad spot.
So don´t send the guardin into the mid fight if oposing team has an ele …
Did someone try a non LB guardian? I rarlely play guardian but i don´t use dragons maw only the healing trap and TOF ….

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

Ele neutralizes the longbow (engi add here). But against the rest a good guardian is a threat.
The problem is if you fight an ele with a guard, you are at a disadvantage and since ele support is common to needed the guard is in a bad spot.
Did someone try a non LB guardian? I rarlely play guardian but i don´t use dragons maw only the healing trap and TOF ….

It honestly doesn’t make much of a difference, about 40% of our weapon skills are projectiles.

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Asherah.7651

Asherah.7651

A good guard shouldn’t be losing against a necro…most necros don’t carry corrosive poison cloud so they have no reflects or no way to destroy projectiles, and have limited stab.

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: UBcktieDL.5318

UBcktieDL.5318

Guard has so many projectiles it isn’t even funny:

Sword: 3rd AA is projectile, skill 3 is projectiles
Scepter: AA projectiles, these can even be doding by running around and laternating A and D.
Hammer: Skill 3 a projectile, but probably guards best melee weapon against ele.
Greatsword: 2 releases projectiles in addition to the melee damage, also skill 5.
Staff: Does no damage anyway, skill 2 projectile
Offhands. Focus 4 projectile, torch 4 projectile.

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Sauncho.8076

Sauncho.8076

I’m sorry but I thought the name of the post was “State of Guardian,” not “State of Dragon Hunter.” Point being, if a guard uses anything but Long Bow he doesn’t stand a chance. With longbow, well….you might have a chance against scrubs. Either way, I’d say Guardians in general are in a sad state when compared to some of the other professions and their elites.

“Pimpin aint ez”

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: holychampion.7386

holychampion.7386

Guardian here since the release of the game. Played ranked for only 5 days and got to diamond t3 ONLY with guardian as solo queue. MMR is about 72%

Guardian is crrently in a really bad state. Yes we can counter necros very easily, just staying out of range and longbowing them out. However we lose the point we contest, we just take it back later. Same applies to warrios, we can kill them but we will lose some minutes while we do that. Ergo, they will get help and we will not be contributing to the team.
In divisions where ppl are dumb, Ruby and lower, queueing with a dh will not alter the result as someone previously stated. In fact ppl still die to ToF (amazing). On diamond and higher you start to have problems because ppl are better at rotations and teamplay.
I started carrying hammer instead of s/f or gs for more CC but the cooldowns on its abilities are off the charts. The condi cleanse is really poor, the team support is really poor and most of the time you only shine as a dh if you stay ranging, which given the projectile hate of eles and engies makes it twice as hard.

All in all.. Current state of the dh: Garbage Tier.
Doesn’t mean you can make a difference in the game as I have done (not trying to boast my playing as I do stupid stuff too). IMHO get good with guardian now, if you strive for the higher lvls of pvp with a kittenty, underpowered, outdated class, IF it gets balanced you will make a difference in future pvp.

P.S (Edited): My opinion was on DH, bringing core guardian to pvp is just a suicide. Plain and simple suicide. Maybe you can try the bunker but if you go with ele/tempest you will contribute more.

(edited by holychampion.7386)

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: timekeeper.4690

timekeeper.4690

Similar to holychampion, I’ve played Guardian for over 2 and a half years, mainly on pvp with wvw thrown in there (and very little pve). For Guardian metas, I’ve gone through (approx.) the bunker > bunker hybrid > medi guard > burn guard > DH.

I I have a group of irl friends I normally play with, and halfway through season 1, I knew DH wasn’t cutting it. We were doing alright (because we are decent players, and a 3-5 man pre-made), but personally I was either not bringing enough to the table, or sometimes I ended up just being dead weight I felt. I’m not going to go into specifics of Guardian/DH problems (there’s enough discussion already about projectile reflect/lack of mobility/etc.), but I didn’t think I was as bad a player as my record was showing.

Then something miraculous happened — I swapped to rev.

JI on a 5 second cd? Yes please
4k more base health? Yes please
No cd stun-break/evade? Yes please
Better overall sustain for damage? Yes please

And I could go on. Now I’m not saying rev is broken op or anything, as there’s already a discussion about its susceptibility to condis (which makes it much tougher to play for sure, in addition to it’s continual nerfs), but I think you get the point I’m trying to make.

Not to boast, but after the switch our casual group ended up making it to top 10 in the leader-boards multiple times, in addition to participating in the guild challenger. I attribute our massive improvement to me not being DH.

I wish it were different, but that’s the situation from my perspective. I also get that not every class can always be meta, so despite my main being out of the picture for the time being, I’m sorta happy that 8 out of 9 classes are considered use-able at higher levels, which theoretically makes this one of the more balanced metas so far.

(edited by timekeeper.4690)

State of guardian

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

In terms of 1v1, Rangers & Engi wipes the floor on Guards. Sometimes good Wars & Thieves but that’s the same with other classes.

We’re not point holders, our strength lies in team fights. The reason we’re not meta is because we get caught with our pants down with little effort… Virtues getting interrupted, Purification not going off fast enough, & reliant on our unreliable passive stability to help vs a burst scenario like Thieves 10s stunlocking abilities. It’s ridiculous..

We’re not nearly as bad as you think but you’re right, the majority of guards you fight are not very good.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Totally true. I have sine incredible good guards, that swap weapons well depending on situation and don´t use dragons maw. But if you try to run some meta in competative PvP you are outplayed … My daugther tried DH, she is far from good, but she goes with hammer and Hunters fortification not knockback and it works quite well. She runs Valor/honour/DH going melee most of the time and Judges intervention is great here .-)

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Totally true. I have sine incredible good guards, that swap weapons well depending on situation and don´t use dragons maw. But if you try to run some meta in competative PvP you are outplayed … My daugther tried DH, she is far from good, but she goes with hammer and Hunters fortification not knockback and it works quite well. She runs Valor/honour/DH going melee most of the time and Judges intervention is great here .-)

I tried the same traits a few days ago with Mace/Focus and Mender’s Amulet, it feels pretty solid as long as you rotate your skills right and don’t get interrupted too much. Difference is I don’t melee much but rather kite from a distance. The M/F is a defensive tool if enemy reaches me in melee.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

State of guardian

in PvP

Hunter.4783

I tried the same traits a few days ago with Mace/Focus and Mender’s Amulet, it feels pretty solid as long as you rotate your skills right and don’t get interrupted too much. Difference is I don’t melee much but rather kite from a distance. The M/F is a defensive tool if enemy reaches me in melee.

I can kill people with cleric amulet in unranked.

Now plz post a video if you trying to kill anyone running mender gear in ranked. Now add in a cleric ele to the other team. Plz post a video doing that in diamond and above

The problem is dh is considered viable in unranked and amber (hence the mace focus and menders) nut are complete trash in diamond and above

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Permafrost.2695

Permafrost.2695

70% win-rate in season 3 only playing Guardian. Class is just fine; there’s just honestly a lot of less skilled people who got used to the DH being OP.

State of guardian

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

70% win-rate in season 3 only playing Guardian. Class is just fine; there’s just honestly a lot of less skilled people who got used to the DH being OP.

Though I agree that DH is fine when soloqing to Legendary, they’re not fine in the competitive scene against a comp that uses focus bursts and cc. Granted, any class can get focused burst + cc’d but it only takes 1 lucky cc to intertupt our virtues, obliterating our sustains.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Permafrost.2695

Permafrost.2695

My guess is that Tage would disagree.

State of guardian

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

My guess is that Tage would disagree.

I haven’t seen him play this season :O
Tbh I haven’t seen any tournaments this time round.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

State of guardian

in PvP

Hunter.4783

Screenshot or I call bullkitten. I also want to see what division you are

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

DH does fine in most settings. LIke they said, unless you are top tier, its not a big deal.

State of guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Despite what people think about the traps, they can render useless and I’m not talking about dodge. An Ele earth focus make you invulnerabe so walking over the trap with that on is busted it!

In saying so however I ain’t using that meta competely as I still use the scepter and shield over the longbow (I’m so used to using those two in my previous build). It does kinda make me last longer.

Even then as for them avoiding the trap, using the DH passive shill with the spear, if you time it correct, it basically like Scorpion “Come over here!” sort of move! Also with my scepter, I cam immoblie them when they’re in the trap too!