State of necromancer after the patch

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

I have to admit I rarely create topics, but the patch notes made me say whats on my mind. To note, I have been playing necromancer as my main class since BW1 and it was always the only class I used in tournaments and my main spec was and still is a fear necro with stability (0/20/20/0/30).

So lets face it before the previous patch that added burning and torment necromancers were not the first pick in the comp pvp setup, used mostly as rez signet carriers with wells. Was the burning OP? Well adding burning to necromancer in my opinion was unnecessary, because they already gave us torment to cover our main dmg from condition bleed. Did it make the necromancer OP, I would still say no, necro stacking was what made it over the top imho.

Necromancer, as anet said, is an attrition class and it was made to outlast opponent. Yet the reality is different – necromancer lacks stability, regeneration and all the other boons that make a class truly an attrition one. Devs told us that DS is there to compensate these lacks, because it is like a third weapon set, since previous to the nerf you could swap weapons in it, and it has its own HP bar, so you can outlast someone a bit longer. So overall necromancers did not need a buff in damage it needed it in mobility, boon generating, etc.

After the mistake of adding unnecessary fire to necromancer devs instead of doing something with it started changing everything else, so now you would have to run this spec. For example:
- They added a CD to LF generation that was not that easy without the nerf especially at the beginning of the match
- Removed DS protecting our hp from big hits, so now class mechanic is just laughable since it no longer soaks up dmg and no longer allows for weapon swap which was its main purpose.
- Pushed the greater marks further into a tree, thus making builds even more generic.

It looks like devs are thinking that now everyone is running one spec so nerfing it would make necromancer more “balanced”. Well its not true, because not everyone likes to run a generic build that is fotm, but maybe its their idea to force players in pvp to use only 1 build per class, thus making it as easy to balance as possible…

P.S. I have to mention this: I feel sorry for a player named Nemesis, too bad your suggestions fell on deaf ears and blind eyes of anet devs.

TL; DR; IMO anet balancing team:

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: JoshandSarah.5402

JoshandSarah.5402

Edit again: Didn’t see the new update for today.
What I said was moot. c:

(edited by JoshandSarah.5402)

in PvP

Posted by: jmatb.6307

jmatb.6307

Lolwut?

You want starting life force? At what cost? How does it make sense for you to have life force built up without doing anything? You want to start a fight with a DS 2-3 1.5 second fear? Really?

Necros that don’t have sustain don’t run spectrals. You can run spectral armor and walk and get an enormous amt of Life Force, even with the ICD. They buffed armor by 5% LF per hit! How is that a nerf? You got stronger with this patch for sustain…

Greater marks is in the 20 trait spot now… if anything there was no choice in Greater Marks before being at Adept any Necro that didn’t take it was doing it wrong. What’s generic about making 30/30/10 builds have to give up one of those 4 grandmaster traits for greater marks?

Necro QQing about class design when he doesn’t read the notes… priceless.

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Today’s changes are a step in the right direction. Lower damage, more survivability.

People who insist on sticking to weaker, outdated builds should probably get used to being weaker. ArenaNet can’t balance around mediocrity.

in PvP

Posted by: JoshandSarah.5402

JoshandSarah.5402

Oh, I didn’t notice the changes for today. My fault guys!
The fact that death shroud doesn’t soak over damage anymore really makes me happy. Potentially might be able to burst them down now rather than letting them shroud & plague for endless amounts of time.
Though plague is still there, soo
Idk something about high priority targets not being high priority is getting to me.
I hope they’re at least a bit squishier now.
NO MORE 30/30/10 WOOO

(edited by JoshandSarah.5402)

in PvP

Posted by: Sepreh.5924

Sepreh.5924

Today’s changes are a step in the right direction. Lower damage, more survivability.

People who insist on sticking to weaker, outdated builds should probably get used to being weaker. ArenaNet can’t balance around mediocrity.

Not trying to argue just trying to understand the survivability point because I do not play sPvP. Does the increased survivability come from the fix of the increased damage from attacks while in death shroud? Just taking a cursory look at the patch notes, it seems like the damge overflow from ds to health pool along with internal cooldowns on ds generation with spectral skills will actually decrease survivability.

Again, not trying to be argumentative but just trying to understand how this will play out. Was the increased damage taken while in DS so powerful that we will see a big difference? It seems like the ICD on ds generation with spectral skills but with increased ds generation per hit will help in 1 v 1 settings or with slow hits but will hurt with focus fire

Legendary Sepreh, Necromancer
[SYN] Synyster Legion | Dragonbrand Server
Youtube Necromancer

in PvP

Lopez.7369

From the look of the patch notes, you can now play without Greater Marks. If that’s true, you can now go 30/20/0/0/20, picking up Last Gasp and Soul Marks in Soul Reaping. That’s a huge buff in survivability. (It’s also obviously less damage than going 30 into Curses.)

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

From the look of the patch notes, you can now play without Greater Marks. If that’s true, you can now go 30/20/0/0/20, picking up Last Gasp and Soul Marks in Soul Reaping. That’s a huge buff in survivability. (It’s also obviously less damage than going 30 into Curses.)

Nah, you need greater marks still

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Lopez.7369

Probably not. Soul Marks and Last Gasp seem much better than unblockable marks with 60 extra radius.

It will probably take a while for most necromancers to realize this if it works, though. (Most still use Well of Power over Plague Signet, for example.)

(edited by Lopez.7369)

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Necromancer, as anet said, is an attrition class and it was made to outlast opponent. Yet the reality is different – necromancer lacks stability, regeneration and all the other boons that make a class truly an attrition one. Devs told us that DS is there to compensate these lacks, because it is like a third weapon set, since previous to the nerf you could swap weapons in it, and it has its own HP bar, so you can outlast someone a bit longer. So overall necromancers did not need a buff in damage it needed it in mobility, boon generating, etc.

Outlast an opponent for what? If someones on a point you don’t need to outlast them you need them off the point, preferably because they’re dead. The offensive gain they gave necro’s as well as this patch make me think attrition is not the goal, but a straight out more offensive necro than they were in the past. They increased the base size of marks so you don’t have to worry about aim and can still get more targets in than you could before at base. Which means Greater Marks is less necessary to begin with and you can slot into soul reaping for more life force or shroud benefits.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Posted by: Sepreh.5924

Sepreh.5924

I can see that. The problem is that it seems that it would be a survivability buff for a particular spec that was thought to already be extremely powerful (some specs were already that deep in soul reaping). Also, I know this may be a stupid question but I dont know the numbers but would the increase in DS plus Last Gasp make up for the decreased toughness from skipping the points in death magic?

Btw – enjoyed the necro guide you had up – made me come back to my necro after a hiatus

Legendary Sepreh, Necromancer
[SYN] Synyster Legion | Dragonbrand Server
Youtube Necromancer

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I have to admit I rarely create topics, but the patch notes made me say whats on my mind. To note, I have been playing necromancer as my main class since BW1 and it was always the only class I used in tournaments and my main spec was and still is a fear necro with stability (0/20/20/0/30).

So lets face it before the previous patch that added burning and torment necromancers were not the first pick in the comp pvp setup, used mostly as rez signet carriers with wells. Was the burning OP? Well adding burning to necromancer in my opinion was unnecessary, because they already gave us torment to cover our main dmg from condition bleed. Did it make the necromancer OP, I would still say no, necro stacking was what made it over the top imho.

After the mistake of adding unnecessary fire to necromancer devs instead of doing something with it started changing everything else, so now you would have to run this spec. For example:
- They added a CD to LF generation that was not that easy without the nerf especially at the beginning of the match
- Removed DS protecting our hp from big hits, so now class mechanic is just laughable since it no longer soaks up dmg and no longer allows for weapon swap which was its main purpose.
- Pushed the greater marks further into a tree, thus making builds even more generic.

It looks like devs are thinking that now everyone is running one spec so nerfing it would make necromancer more “balanced”. Well its not true, because not everyone likes to run a generic build that is fotm, but maybe its their idea to force players in pvp to use only 1 build per class, thus making it as easy to balance as possible…

P.S. I have to mention this: I feel sorry for a player named Nemesis, too bad your suggestions fell on deaf ears and blind eyes of anet devs.

TL; DR; IMO anet balancing team:

It just sounds like you’re angry. Nothing you’ve said has actually pointed out how to improve or change things.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Lopez.7369

I can see that. The problem is that it seems that it would be a survivability buff for a particular spec that was thought to already be extremely powerful (some specs were already that deep in soul reaping). Also, I know this may be a stupid question but I dont know the numbers but would the increase in DS plus Last Gasp make up for the decreased toughness from skipping the points in death magic?

Btw – enjoyed the necro guide you had up – made me come back to my necro after a hiatus

The 100 toughness is a loss, but the mix of Gluttony, Last Gasp, and Soul Marks should make up for it multiple times over.

All of this will obviously require testing once the patch goes live, but it seems like a good concept.

If anyone wants a point of comparison for how much 180 radius is, look at Signet of Undeath. That seems large enough to me.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I agree with OP. I play a necromancer alt and they don’t seem to be talking about or acknowleding this classes core problems. I don’t think we needed burning. We need mobility and surviveability. In a game that the burst that it does, DS is only a bit viable in tPvP and nothing else. I was in WvW the other day roaming with friends (necros roaming is like seeing a yetti in this game) and we go into a 3v4. 2 thieves, mesmer, and ele. They of course focus me, I pop my 2 dodges to negate some damage, luckily i had killed a few things and had about 90% LF so I went into that and lasted…2 seconds. Popped out, had no dodges, died immediately. Look in the combat log and got hit with 4 7k heart seekers, a 5k backstab, 2 fire skills from the ele that did 7k, the a shatter from the mesmer that did about 5k.

Have a classes defense mechanic in this game being he absorbs hits is so bad. Every other classes gets one or more of the following. Vigor, teleports, invurnabilities, blocks, stealths, evades, and aegis.

I know Necromancers are a hell of a lot better in tpvp, but in every other aspect I get focused and get hit with so much burst damage it’s insane.

Anet, we don’t want more damage. We don’t want more conditions. We just want to have some kind of defensive mechanic other than DS. A defense mechanic that requires us to kill stuff first before we can even take advantage of it (so after using it or at a start of the game we have 2 dodges as our defense).

in PvP

jmatb.6307

180 radius is good. If someone misses with that they have aiming issues.

in PvP

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Give a class something they don’t really need. In this case burning.

Use said gift as a justification to nerf the class’ core mechanics into oblivion.

BALANCE!

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Give a class something they don’t really need. In this case burning.

Use said gift as a justification to nerf the class’ core mechanics into oblivion.

BALANCE!

What is this mythical event of which you speak?

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

I don’t think the necro changes are going to reduce the amount of crying. 30/30/10/0/0 will still be viable, but Staff Mastery (if they go with Spectrals) or Minion Master (if they go with Flesh Wurm and Golem) will wind up in that Death Magic Slot.

Interestingly, this seems to open up build diversity for Terrormancer although overall survivability is down from what the patch notes say there are still multiple ways to output competitive damage. 30/30/10/0/0, 30/20/0/0/20, 30/30/0/0/10, 30/20/20/0/0 are all basically going to accomplish pretty close to the same burst as pre-patch with some minor alterations to play style and utilities. I am personally a fan of the idea that 10 in Death (which is a God awful tree ouside of 3 major traits) is no longer going to be a requirement in order to make staff viable.

All in all it seems to be a small net-nerf to necros, but I don’t think that this patch is going to drastically shift the meta from the AoE Condi mess that it is currently. Double necro comps are, however decidedly weaker (this is good) due to being even more easily stun-lock bursted. Looks to me like Necro/Engi will be decisively better than Necro/Necro. With that sais, if your goal is condi-cleave, then the Necro still reigns supreme.

in PvP

jmatb.6307

I think a counter meta is brewing with stun builds. Mesmers and Warriors on the same target can put almost 10 seconds of stunning on them O.o

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Everyone stop, the patch isn’t even live yet.

You haven’t yet seen the impact of the mentioned bug that increased the damage taken in the DS. We don’t even know how big of an impact it had.

The internal cd on Spectral effects is surely painful, and I’m a sworn enemy of ICD’s but it is probably a necessary change not to give the necro 10 lives.

I hope that the Greater Marks business will push necromancer players towards some staff-less builds. I know how crazy it may now sound, but it won’t sound crazy when someone finally does that properly showing people that they can.

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

in PvP

jmatb.6307

they can already. it was just so cheap to do greater marks that staff really wasn’t optional

in PvP

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

What increased survivability?

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

OK so now to make some of my statements clearer.

First of all I was talking only about things mentioned in patch note, not new builds that can be made because of these changes, since there are too many variables and you need to actually adjust, try it out while playing.

Secondly I do not know where you got “You want starting life force?” since I don’t and there is no mention of it in my post, so maybe you misunderstood or drew wrong conclusions.

Thirdly about generating LF. Either I misread the patch-note or they edited it later, since I’ve read that in spectral armor when hit you now get 2% life force with 1 second cooldown and that was a clearly a nerf. Still in my opinion LF generation against one target was not a problem, since you could avoid being damaged for longer periods more easily, multiple enemies were the problem, so giving an internal cooldown may not be the best solution.

Now about DS soaking up damage. I still think it is a bad move from developers to make big hits hit through DS, since it was more or less necromancers “block” in which you jumped in and out quickly when opponent is bursting or interrupting his longer telegraphed skills (for example heal) with fear (not to mention that weapon swapping thing that was noted earlier). Now it lost a big part of its viability and it is one of the most lackluster-ed class mechanics ingame.

About greater marks and increase in mark size – I think we need to see how it plays out, because having unblockable abilities are quite useful when you need to take someone of the point on the other hand if the target cannot spam block it becomes more useful to invest trait points somewhere else.

About the dhuumfire build – this patch in my opinion barely grazed it, so complaints about this particular build will not stop.

Overall I still think that changes could have been made better: taking out whats unecessary and giving things that we lack. But I have to agree with Lopez statement – “People who insist on sticking to weaker, outdated builds should probably get used to being weaker.” Yes, I can see how that has a part in what caused my disappointment with current patch, since I hate going with standard builds and I always create my own for every character. I probably stayed too long without changes and will have to create a new build for myself now that is more viable.

(edited by Lukin.4061)

in PvP

Posted by: lettucemode.3789

lettucemode.3789

Just want to point out that you can already start a match with 30% life force. Before the 10-second countdown, switch 2 of your slot skills to Bone Fiend and Shadow Fiend, and switch your elite to Flesh Golem. After the countdown starts, summon each of the minions, then change the slots back to what you really want. When each minion is despawned (as a result of you switching out of those skills), you’ll get 10% life force, more if you have Gluttony.

On topic: I think this patch was a wash overall for necromancers. Lower damage, more survivability, evens out. Only significant change will be increased build diversity due to not being force to take Greater Marks to make staff usable.

Sanctum of Rall
Builds: Facemelter Watch The Health Bar

in PvP

Lopez.7369

After some testing, I concluded Greater Marks is definitely not necessary. Some people will still need it because they struggle to aim and don’t pay enough attention to block, but the extra survivability from 20 in Soul Reaping is great.

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

I’m confused. The title says “State of necromancer after the patch,” yet this was posted before the patch even went live.

Did you have feedback now that you have been playing after the patch, or was this post just made for theory crafting?

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

People keep asking for mobility on the Necro, and again, by design, this is something we’re going to keep to a minimum. We will continue to make sure they get more attrition tools (Deathshroud is a main point here), the ability to manipulate boons/conditions, and the ability to control opponents.

The current patch is an attempt to do small “shavings” to bring the class into line with these goals, in the same way we tried to “shave” the Ele numerous times, rather than “nerfing it from orbit”. Are all Ele specs equally viable in all game types? No. Is this ok? Yes. Staff can see play in one game type while D/D or S/D see play in others. As we’ve said, we’ll split skills/weapons more and more in the variuos game types, but each time we split a skill, it gives us more update work down the road. We have to be very prudent when we split skills.

Same thing with the Necro. They have a few different viable builds in different types of content, and we’re trying to make sure they continue to see play in various roles spread throughout the various gametypes.

But seriously, OP, wait until you play the patch and THEN update this. I’d love to know what you think….but as Allie posted theorycrafting is pretty hard for us to make informed decisions with. Let us know how they feel in game.

With much love from Chinajoy,

Chap

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I shelved my Necro (High Warlord Sikari) for a while… MM is the only thing I like, but minions just die too fast in AoE, its far too frustrating because if every game type that isn’t soloing in the pve world (not a great niche) or versus CERTAIN builds it’s strong in 1v1, again, not a great niche, on top of general necro nerfs, it’s just beginning to not be rewarding to try to hold on anymore. :/

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

So I’m a guardian in pve now :P and that’s it.

in PvP

Posted by: candlecan.9827

candlecan.9827

I really didn’t want to post on this forum because this is a knee-jerk reaction without any validation. That being said, after signing on and tinkering with a necro (not my main), I am afraid that this effort to “shave” the necro a bit might backfire (cant say for sure just something to watch for).

I am specifically referring to the build 30/20/0/0/20. With the improvements on un-traited marks this build is sure to become prevalent. With this build you can achieve 100% fear duration with access to terror and burning. That in coordination with the increased survivability in death shroud have me scared.

The jury is still out, the patch is hours old, but I by simple logic I am scared about this build. Getting killed in a fear 100-0 was what caused so much frustration over necros in the first place, and I think this could actually cause getting 1 shot to become more prevalent rather than curtail it. I hope that I am wrong

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Yeah, pushing us further into the hole of Dhuumfire Terror doesn’t make me very happy neither…

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

I understand mobility is not likely to ever be a big feature on Necros and that’s OK because it’s not really the heart of the issue. As it stands in either WvW or PvP, should anyone decide to engage a Necro, the Necro has no choice but to oblige, whether it suits them or not. Even if that’s the intended case, where the Necro truly suffers is it’s ability to recover from an opening onslaught, or the 2nd attempt should they pop all their CDs and use all their DS to survive the first. The Spectral Wall change allowed Necros to gain a “self-peel” of sorts but what good is a peel if you have no means to recover from the damage already taken? Recovery, not necessarily mobility is where Necros differ from most other classes. Some classes use evades/blocks/invulns, others use escapes, some use a combination of both with an extraordinary amount of healing. The Necro lacks all of these. So while mobility might be a no go, there are other options to give Necros the means to sustain themselves.

I also think you guys should consider dropping the notion of Death Shroud as a survivability mechanic. As I mentioned before if you simply increase the gains and costs then DS can become a more fluid, utility based mechanic to allow the Necro to fulfill it’s role without giving it a million lives, as well as create an opportunity to move those much needed self-sustaining attributes into skills/traits outside of DS making Necro’s less dependent on DS, and thusly not defenseless when without Life Force.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

(edited by hackks.3687)

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

I have to agree with ANET on this one.

I’ve played mostly a Necro to rank 51 and this patch was actually an overall buff if you take the time and test it.

First of all, you DON’T need greater marks anymore which frees up 10 traits. This is especially good because you were wasting 5 pts before on useless Reanimator.

Secondly, the direct damage bug that was impacting DS must’ve been pretty big because I immediately noticed being able to stay in DS longer…not shorter.

In some cases…like jumping from a cliff…you will feel it worse than before, but overall, I think it’s nothing to cry about.

The only beef I have with ANET is that Necros should NOT start with zero life force.

Necros are way too squishy without life force and it’s almost impossible to balance them if they start with zero. They will either be too weak or too powerful because you have no baseline average amount of life force to assume a Necro has.

Right now…nothing is easier to kill than a Necro with no life force, but a Necro with full life force is godly. This delta is way too big and makes people on both sides complain – justifiably so.

Overall though, I think the patch was fine and the only big nerf (terror) was exactly what I predicted after the last patch and whining.

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

People keep asking for mobility on the Necro, and again, by design, this is something we’re going to keep to a minimum. We will continue to make sure they get more attrition tools (Deathshroud is a main point here), the ability to manipulate boons/conditions, and the ability to control opponents.

The current patch is an attempt to do small “shavings” to bring the class into line with these goals, in the same way we tried to “shave” the Ele numerous times, rather than “nerfing it from orbit”. Are all Ele specs equally viable in all game types? No. Is this ok? Yes. Staff can see play in one game type while D/D or S/D see play in others. As we’ve said, we’ll split skills/weapons more and more in the variuos game types, but each time we split a skill, it gives us more update work down the road. We have to be very prudent when we split skills.

Same thing with the Necro. They have a few different viable builds in different types of content, and we’re trying to make sure they continue to see play in various roles spread throughout the various gametypes.

But seriously, OP, wait until you play the patch and THEN update this. I’d love to know what you think….but as Allie posted theorycrafting is pretty hard for us to make informed decisions with. Let us know how they feel in game.

With much love from Chinajoy,

Chap

Would you consider a small change, like making Flesh Wurm a more reliable disengage utility?

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

than “nerfing it from orbit”. Are all Ele specs equally viable in all game types? No. Is this ok? Yes. Staff can see play in one game type while D/D or S/D see play in others.

Wow, when did this change in design philosophy happen? Almost every SOTG or conversation in HoM (when weapon sets were brought it); it was stated the design goals was to bring up all weapon sets.

(edited by Pyriall.5027)

in PvP

ensoriki.5789

Dhuumfire is still stupid.

than “nerfing it from orbit”. Are all Ele specs equally viable in all game types? No. Is this ok? Yes. Staff can see play in one game type while D/D or S/D see play in others.

Wow, when did this change in design philosophy change? Almost every SOTG or conversation in HoM (when weapon sets were brought it); it was stated the design goals was to bring up all weapon sets.

Was wondering the same thing. They may as well remove certain weapons from formats if that is the case to prevent people from running knownly poor weapon sets. Not seriously I mean, but that’s how it comes across.
After-all wasn’t part of the explanation for having skills tied to the weapon in that it reduces the amount of poor build choices?

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

We want all weapon sets to have their uses, but it’s not necessary that all weapon types be equally viable in all given scenarios. In Starcraft, League, any shooter, etc., it’s not expected that ALL units/weapons/heroes be equally strong in ALL scenarios.

As different game types demand different “tools” from the classes, it stands to reason that some “toolsets” will perform better than others in a given game type.

:)

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

http://www.twitch.tv/symbollix/c/2622702

this is the state of the necromancer after the patch. Balanced. Not.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Lopez.7369

I love the changes so far. The patch was a decent survivability buff and damage nerf. That’s exactly where the class should be heading.

in PvP

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

We want all weapon sets to have their uses, but it’s not necessary that all weapon types be equally viable in all given scenarios. In Starcraft, League, any shooter, etc., it’s not expected that ALL units/weapons/heroes be equally strong in ALL scenarios.

As different game types demand different “tools” from the classes, it stands to reason that some “toolsets” will perform better than others in a given game type.

Oh this is all awesome, now why don’t you pop into the PVE side of things and explain how great these changes were, yeh i thought not.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

(edited by Vlad Morbius.1759)

in PvP

Lopez.7369

That is enormously situational and impractical. I’d be surprised if people started taking Spectral Armor in the first place.

in PvP

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

I sent a PM to Allie containing a long worded explanation of why Necromancer is bad at surviving, and some minor ways/ideas to improve it. If you want to see it.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

That is enormously situational and impractical. I’d be surprised if people started taking Spectral Armor in the first place.

That does not make it less broken. That burst combo deals anywhere from 10 to 17k damage depending on crits. Symbolic lost 20% life force. It’s broken.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

ArenaNet needs to balance for skill.

Balancing for skill is actually extremely hard to do. In a good game balanced is not every build is good for every scenario. Every build should not be good for every scenario or skill. Same with every skill in game. It should not be used in all situations. Give it a few weeks. Let a new meta evolve.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Ofc! especially after seeing this vid, no one will use it! obviously…

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

Let a new meta evolve??A meta of pew pew and throwing aoe from 1200 range?
Adapting in this game is the easiest thing to do btw.Just 5 min story and you are ready to aoe from 1200 range aoe aswell.It is NEVER a matter of adapting especially with how easy current meta builds are..Honeslty this is getting stupid at medium level of play and soloq .Im pretty sure at top its even worse

in PvP

ensoriki.5789

For sure not every weapon set will be an equal choice at the same time.
but
If tier 1 is the typical pick the main weapon choice of a profession in tpvp because it fits it’s role well, and is a good general choice.

Tier 2 is the more situational pick, it has solid strengths, but you need to
a) work a bit harder
b) make tweaks to the team to bring out it’s full strength
c) use it as a counter-pick to a tier 1 weapon-set/prof
so it’s fine because it’s still fairly solid or even an “anti-meta” comp in some occasions.

Tier 3 is extremely situational or just generally a poor choice.

Weapons in tier 1 or 2 are obviously fine, as though tier 2 isn’t as picked as tier 1 it’s still good.

If something is tier 2 in PvE but tier 3 in PvP, is that something that you feel needs to be changed in PvP? I mean P/P is the typical answer I can think of. It’s more or less a tier 2 for PvE dungeons. Some thieves rely on it’s range to help them out there. In PvP it’s more or less a Tier 3 where you can generally always do right by taking something else. Is it fine because it’s a tier 2 in another game type or is it not fine to you because it’s a tier 3 here?

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

That does not make it less broken. That burst combo deals anywhere from 10 to 17k damage depending on crits. Symbolic lost 20% life force. It’s broken.

You do realize that in the time symbolic goes into death shroud he’s virtually doing no pressure?

Death Shroud is a turtling form. You can try the same combo on blurred frenzy and that 10-17k damage wouldn’t happen either.

If Death Shroud can’t tank that spike from a single class, on a 60 second cooldown, how the hell is a necromancer supposed to survive the spike from the 3 people that will be training him?

And how in hell will a power necromancer, using daggers, ever survive if he doesn’t get to sit with a scepter or staff on a ledge?

in PvP

Lopez.7369

I never supported the spectral abilities working in Death Shroud in the first place, but getting worked up about that is ridiculous. It’s going to happen so rarely.

The patch went in a great direction. It nerfed damage, and it buffed survivability. That’s what the high-rated PvP community has been asking for necromancers since the last patch. Whether it’s enough remains to be seen, but I have my doubts.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Just because you design the Necromancer to intentionally lack mobility doesn’t mean you ignore the same complaint about the class for 7 months. If you want it to have next to no mobility, then you’d expect its limited mobility that it does have to actually be more reliable. Stability should be all over the class and not just on elites and traits.

There’s also ways to ensure a class can survive the pain train then simply giving it blink. Why not give the class an PBAE Knockback? Why not give it immobilizes instead of chills? Why not make Torment actually convince people to stand still?

The problems with the class are obvious but little is being done to resolve them. Simply making deathshroud more tanky will never solve the problem.