State of the DPS Guardian.

in PvP

Posted by: Jomo kenyatta.7351

Jomo kenyatta.7351

I’ve played bunker for months and after a while it gets very unrewarding, so i changed to a dps build so i dont have to just rely on others to make kills nothing more frustrating that being a bunker guardian and your team isnt killing anything. DPs guardian is viable and the versatility of the bare is un matched however some of the traites im forced to use arent even half as good as other dps classes and i severely lack mobility i dont want to play another class cause i enjoy this a lot, i would really appreciate it if we could rethink mobility for dps guardian while i understand it cant really be anything that a bunker can use or that could potentially upset the balance, if the leap on greatsword had a longer leap or i could get switfness when i dodge , these are just suggestions id really like to hear more constructive comments. and 1 other thing I’m using 1 hand strength 15% crit chance with 1 handed weapons, the percentage isnt added to my stats, does that mean its not working or i just cant see the numbers? thanks for reading.

in PvP

Posted by: sid.9870

sid.9870

Yomo, Yomo!
Crit chance is added, but it’s not visible.

In general, there are a couple of varians for DPS guardian, all of them being really nice and whatnot, but thing is – at least in tournament meta – everything else is just way too strong compared to guardians, so they can’t be taken into consideration for serious team compositions.
And yeah, mobility is the only thing DPS guardian lacks, apart from general nerf to damage on other classess.

Hi Im Sid,
Absolute Nonsense [prrr]

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

I enjoyed playing med guard for awhile but after getting cheese locked a bit by warriors with maces, I realized the lack of stability is a big issue. I might try the staff/gs build that stunningstyles introduced awhile back.

But yes, the main weaknesses of a dps guard is the lack of mobility and range. I spend half of the time chasing my opponents and missing. We do have scepter but…let’s face it, that isn’t a dps weapon lol. Give us a bow for crying out loud :< The bow spirit weapon is mocking me

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

(edited by ArcTheFallen.7682)

in PvP

Posted by: yolosmurf.8052

yolosmurf.8052

If Dps guard gets buffed AT ANY POINT IN TIME.

I DEMAND that ALL OTHER CLASSES get a STRONG BUNKER / GROUP SUPPORT spec!

Bunker guardians in every team since release – OP!

in PvP

sid.9870

I played gs/staff even before Retal nerf (yeah, long time ago) when getting 8k retal dmg after initial burst was the issue. After that, powercreep hit everything so hard, this build is no longer viable and I even deleted it from my build board.

And people did not play bunker guardians since release, this abominations came to life around winter. Before you could encounter many many berserker guardians, greatswords, offensive sets on defensive guardians etc.

Hi Im Sid,
Absolute Nonsense [prrr]

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

We do have scepter but…let’s face it, that isn’t a dps weapon lol.

The only time I’ve ever been impressed by guard damage, it was a scepter guard.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in PvP

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

This.

I don’t know why this doesn’t get complained about more. I guess it’s because their effects are more passive than getting blasted in the face by condis. They are the ONLY constant in a team. Other classes have come and gone in comps but bunker guardians are by far the most consistent thing in a team. You essentially cannot compete without a bunker guardian on mid point but for some reason everyone is okay with this.

Not to belittle you OP, I’d love to see more DPS guardians but honestly I think part of the reason is that bunker guardians are just so ridiculously strong compared to DPS guardians.

in PvP

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

I’d beg to differ but I play a different kind of Guardian. I’d like to think I found the “sweet” spot to not only be a decent bunker, but also provide pressure to the opposing team.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I think the glacial whatever trait that chills on crit should be added.

Make it work on all weapons, a 4 sec chill on a 10 sec ICD.

Guardian lacks chasing potential but that’s because they can be very tanky even in DPS specs.

Also the burst is very telegraphed, you need scepter to root to land a zealot’s defense. Maybe they should reduce the cd of bane signet and make something like judge’s intervention root or knockdown a single target.

in PvP

Posted by: Tracker.6483

Tracker.6483

chill on crit sounds like it’s crazy OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

This.

I don’t know why this doesn’t get complained about more. I guess it’s because their effects are more passive than getting blasted in the face by condis. They are the ONLY constant in a team. Other classes have come and gone in comps but bunker guardians are by far the most consistent thing in a team. You essentially cannot compete without a bunker guardian on mid point but for some reason everyone is okay with this.

Not to belittle you OP, I’d love to see more DPS guardians but honestly I think part of the reason is that bunker guardians are just so ridiculously strong compared to DPS guardians.

That isnt really a problem. They can look at the traits in the guardian dps lines without impacting bunker guardians to make them OP.

As for people discussing builds. I know jomo uses gs and scepter/focus. And, even though I might be biassed because we play together alot, he is one of the few people I have ever seen make dps guard work. The gs damage is high and s/f offers good protection, control and a ranged option which is essential.

DPS guard is fairly strong but some more synergy to the dps guardian trait lines would be good.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

chill on crit sounds like it’s crazy OP.

Maybe 2s cripple on crit them. Chill is OP I agree.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

sid.9870

And here they come… clueless people and their crazy ideas…

Apart from the nonsense, Guardian wasn’t designed to be a bunker/tank/callitwhatyouwant, it was meant to be a warrior with sort of defensive support, and less dmg in balanced setup.
It turned out, to become full tank, due to powercreep in damage and self preservance department (most notably crit dmg) where balanced guardians dps is a mere 400-700 per hit (s/d thief 3k dmg, regen for rangers/wars is above 700 per sec).

And about this “theres no other tank” how about you try Ele… it has everything required from mid guardian – aoe stability, protection, regeneration/heals and can soak up lots of dmg if you build it right.

Hi Im Sid,
Absolute Nonsense [prrr]

in PvP

Posted by: Spyro.3261

Spyro.3261

Guardian (with 2h Sword) is already kinda OP class and you ask for more buffs? You can build damage and still be tanky. Necromancers can eat you (only if they spec into Tourmentor and remove your buffs), but double dagger rogue can barely damage you… You forgot to mention Guardian give nice buffs for team so you asking for more? I would say need more nerf than buffs, at least I would agree its ok about his current state…

in PvP

sid.9870

Another highly credible person, speaking of in-game balance whilist not being able to properly name greatsword and thief.

Let me correct you.
Guardian isn’t OP in any spec we currently have.
2h sword -greatsword- is easy to deal with, with just one key! Dodge, and then press another key and keep holding it to run away while staying out of range. Thats it.
Double dagger -thief- is actually really good against any DPS guardian, as long as he can dodge, wait and then apply incredible amount of damage. Yet, if he can’t dodge – he’ll die to any other class/spec just as well.

To stay on topic, we cannot ask for DPS guardian buffs, cause it will feed powercreep.
I’d even say, leave them as they are – there’s enough of gap closers to stay on your target in 2v2-4v4 encounter but guardian like that, also applies some defensive support, with stability, protection, projectile absorption, blind, etc. so they would be really fine in a team fight, for players who utilise the support along the dmg.
If you’d want a roaming dps guardian – either take staff or Retreat, this way you sacrifice something for mobility. This way, your defensive support along with damage is either lowered or comes to help later, giving an opponent fair time to react.

tl;dr guardian is fine, deal with the rest.

Hi Im Sid,
Absolute Nonsense [prrr]