State of the Game Post-Discussion

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Arcane thievery existed since launch. Yet engis are alive are they not?

Don’t arcane thievery/bountiful theft (thief trait) only take a single stack for like.. 5 seconds?

Does this mean they will be changed to steal stacks/duration with the next update?

No they remove the entire stack and the mesmer gains the entire stack.

To the other poster mug won’t be removing boons it’ll be S/D. Mesmers not running it and existing are two different things. Thief boon removal on steal has also existed since beta but post-haste nerf the damage loss for taking it is rather severe…engis are still alive. If the boon removal mattered so much mesmers would run arcane thievery as a response to the meta. Even taking boon removal engis have been difficult due to needing to reposition yourself generally or getting nuked in elixer s. Which is a pretty significant change which will likely have significant effect on the engine itself.
Mesmera not taking it and it existing are two different things. As well mug will not be removing the boon. It’ll be flanking strike on S/D.

Also why would engis need to be “compensated” as a result of them trying to bring up underpowered utilities as if they took something from the engine wtf.

Arcane thievery isn’t used because it’s a very long CD IT’S range is weird and misses more than it hits. Lastly it doesn’t always steal the boons you want to rip… The inconsistency in it is the main reason why mesmers use something else… Plus its a 3 to 3 trade

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

What are people’s opinions on +3% dmg/boon on targets that don’t have protection? Will this allow ungodly eviscerates? Can’t warriors just wait til protection runs its course (it never lasts long) and unleash?

What trait are we predicting that warriors drop to go 30 into discipline.. and is it good enough to run on a non-burst warrior?

so many questions

in PvP

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

Don’t arcane thievery/bountiful theft (thief trait) only take a single stack for like.. 5 seconds?

Does this mean they will be changed to steal stacks/duration with the next update?

To the other poster mug won’t be removing boons it’ll be S/D. Mesmers not running it and existing are two different things. Thief boon removal on steal has also existed since beta but post-haste nerf the damage loss for taking it is rather severe…engis are still alive. If the boon removal mattered so much mesmers would run arcane thievery as a response to the meta. Even taking boon removal engis have been difficult due to needing to reposition yourself generally or getting nuked in elixer s. Which is a pretty significant change which will likely have significant effect on the engine itself.
Mesmera not taking it and it existing are two different things. As well mug will not be removing the boon. It’ll be flanking strike on S/D.

Also why would engis need to be “compensated” as a result of them trying to bring up underpowered utilities as if they took something from the engine wtf.

Arcane thievery isn’t used because it’s a very long CD IT’S range is weird and misses more than it hits. Lastly it doesn’t always steal the boons you want to rip… The inconsistency in it is the main reason why mesmers use something else… Plus its a 3 to 3 trade

I use arcane thievery more as a defense mechanism against condition builds (cough ranger condis cough) than I do as a means of stealing boons from an enemy. I’ve had great success sending 15+ stacks of bleeding back to my target only to have them drop before they realize what happened. My only mistake in using arcane thievery is either burning it too early into a fight or relying on it as my only means of condition removal. For best results, I stick with arcane thievery, null field, and blink or decoy.

I do agree though that it’s annoying we can’t pick and choose which boons/condition to receive/send, respectively. I also agree that it doesn’t always hit… kind of strange.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

If that’s the case I understand, I don’t run mesmer enough to know the fine details on the accuracy of its skills but I do know that if boon stealing was a meta shattering thing on it’s own, then Arcane would be more prominent and it is not. Though I’ve fooled around with it in the past, even stealing an hgh’s boons is nice when you do it but because of quick they can reapply condi’s it can be very temporary relief.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: pot.6805

pot.6805

Really enjoyed this state of the game, felt it was much better then the last couple I watched. You guys went a lot more in depth on each class then usual.

BeeGee
Beast mode

in PvP

Posted by: Nord.5360

Nord.5360

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I liked our new format, personally, and I think we’ll stick with it going forward.

Keep it coming.

Grouch

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

The real question is :

since burst thieves will totally disappear, how are we going to keep up with other classes damage ?

They said " we may buff base damage in future patches" but till then, how are we going to fare ?

boon stealing is indeed very strong, but thief damage is very, VERY subpar if you don’t run full glass ( and full glass builds, with current traits, benefits only D/X builds, that will become totally unviable as soon as the patch hits).

I hope this is the first of several, needed, changes to the thief.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

If you’re worried for D/P. Don’t be. It’ll be fine.
Basically concieve it as this. Sometimes you do not crit.
Going forward when it comes to mug it’ll always be like that crit missed but everything else will be the same. In all likelihood the weapon will be buffed given the response to the haste nerf.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Posted by: Zog.3954

Zog.3954

This show was great – plenty of info and insight.
Thank you.

in PvP

Mrbig.8019

Going forward when it comes to mug it’ll always be like that crit missed but everything else will be the same. In all likelihood the weapon will be buffed given the response to the haste nerf.

the point is that now i won’t seriously be able to effectively spike any class.

my burst combo, on medium armored target, was alrready about 12-13k damage, if stars align and everything crits, even air proc.

now with mug nerf i’ll lose about 3k damage, basically i’ll be ablr to spike onoy squishy targets (are still anymore of them, aside mesmers and other thieves?).

I’m not really that worried, i was simply waiting for a reason to go back to my beloved S/D, but remember that is not important being the best burst class ( and with this nerf i seriously doubt double arcane eles are worse anymore) if your burst can’t even kill a squishy

in PvP

Mrbig.8019

my burst combo, on medium armored target, was alrready about 12-13k damage( like rabid users), if stars align and everything crits, even air proc.

now with mug nerf i’ll lose about 3k damage, basically i’ll be ablr to spike onoy squishy targets (are still anymore of them, aside mesmers and other thieves?).

I’m not really that worried, i was simply waiting for a reason to go back to my beloved S/D, but remember that is not important being the best burst class ( and with this nerf i seriously doubt double arcane eles are worse anymore) if your burst can’t even kill a squishy

in PvP

Posted by: shimzor.6057

shimzor.6057

my burst combo, on medium armored target, was alrready about 12-13k damage( like rabid users), if stars align and everything crits, even air proc.

The point is:

If you wish to burst someone from full HP to zero (or from 3/4 to zero) better consider playing CS or some other first person shooter.

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

The point is:

If you wish to burst someone from full HP to zero (or from 3/4 to zero) better consider playing CS or some other first person shooter.

Pretty much…. If you think that MUG wasn’t an OP trait you were lying to yourself… it has gotten up to 7k on other GCs (yes I know gc blah blah blah) the point is. That is too much reward for a simple adept trait.. It’s like Mental Torment making mindwrack do 50% or more damage. Should be higher up in the tree. Or damage reduced… They went with the latter…. But they gave you a small bonus with it and it will scale with healing power… So maybe they want to open the floor to thieves that never stealth and rely solely on acrobatics… I think it would be cool to see happen… But who knows.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

You could, say, use a cantrip for whatever purpose, and then switch to water (with elemental attunement trait) and, maybe, use glyph’s healing, and you would lose 2 or 3 conditions while getting back to full health and gaining plenty of regen/ vigor. 2 or 3 conditions at the same time can be pretty big, because it can nullify soem condition damage strategies. Now it’s 5 or even 10 seconds withour removing an extra condition or two, which can bea lot for stacks of bleeding, poison or burning.

in PvP

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

The mug heal is just dumb, 9/10 times when using steal/mug it’s when you’re full health. The 45s cooldown almost insures you won’t be using again in that fight. The boon steal on it feels tacked on considering we already had that(bountiful theft) and it shares the boons. Mugs damage definitely needed nerfed but this just seems like they have no idea what they’re doing.

The ranger changes come down to the same issues they’ve had since the start, bad pet AI. Doesn’t matter if they do more damage and have more health if they are so easily kited.

in PvP

Posted by: SovereignHegemony.4160

SovereignHegemony.4160

in PvP

Posted by: Med.6150

Med.6150

@Jons and whoever is in charge

You are probably not going to go back on your decision for Mug, though at least consider making it a more potent heal over time (less bursty heal means the heal over time should be healing for more in total to have similar impact and result), so that Mug can still remain a possible burst tool instead of resulting in useless overheal, when you are at 100% HPs.

in PvP

Posted by: Kryshade.6075

Kryshade.6075

Mug giving a heal over time (a decent one) would actually be beneficial as it makes sense to pop this at the start of a fight. A “burst” heal on mug is just wrong as mug is generally only used to initiate a fight as a gap closer when a thief is already at full health.

They mentioned that they want the thief to be able to engage in a fight on point a bit more (thus the boon stealing) but a heal on mug isn’t what’s going to make that happen.

The only build I could see this being viable in would be a bunkerish build relying on mass evades/dodges where a thief is saving the steal to use as a heal. For all burst thieves, this change makes no sense.

Now a heal over time would be a much smarter move and would actually make sense here so I really hope the devs read this post. I know it’s too late to make a change for this patch but please consider that as an option if you’re going to stand firm on this mug giving a heal thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Jeremthedevil.4793

Jeremthedevil.4793

they buff the war …and now elem are useles …great, I remember that War are overpowered with one hundred blade if they have the good build ( I have a war in my pvp team with a build dps and with 2 strike he take down other players

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

You want to come away from a SoTG knowing something that wasn’t pretty much 100% known already.
This sotg gave us ACTUAL information. So, it was useful. How will these changes fall out? ITs hard to say but it looks like for the first time in 5 m onths the meta might actually change.

in PvP

Posted by: vrilek.4038

vrilek.4038

Devs nerfed CnD then prolong revealed debuff by 1 sec in pvp then nerf mug dmg. There is no skill anymore to be nerfed exept backstab. I imagine in May we will se BS nerf and after that in June Anet will remove thief class from character creation in login. Beside I laugh so much that many ppl cry about d/p thief is so op = the last thief build that can achieve something… Nerf thief to the ground beacuse some guys are whinning all the time. It shoudnt be like this something is really wrong here dudes.

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Was a lot happier with this SoTG compared to last one. Jon and Karl seemed a lot more prepared and it seemed very professional. Was very good, sad to hear about lack of balance changes. Hope potential Engineer Turret remake is on the table… cause bandaids dont seem to be working

in PvP

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

they buff the war …and now elem are useles …great, I remember that War are overpowered with one hundred blade if they have the good build ( I have a war in my pvp team with a build dps and with 2 strike he take down other players

Clearly you don’t play pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

I can’t wait to annihilate all the Sword/Dagger thieves after patch! xD

in PvP

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

warrior overpowered in spvp?…right….

eles are grasping straw now they’d say anything…lol

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

in PvP

Posted by: lvis.3824

lvis.3824

and how is having an hard counter bad?

Because a single skill (the boon steal on the new Mug) has the ability to make an entire class unviable (by stealing the HGH might stack crutch).

Show me another skill that can do that?

1. noone said anything about Boon-steal on Mug !

2. flanking strike does take off boons from targets already NOW, new thing is that the thief can choose to take the boon for himself

3. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bountiful_Theft is in the game since last betaWeekend, but most people don’t take it .

4. you cannot choose which boon you take of, its random.

in PvP

Posted by: Stof.9584

Stof.9584

Want to say thanks to Grouch and GW2Guru, as well as the Devs! You really stepped up this time, well structured interesting debate!

I feel this player to developer feedback is really making GW2 a better game and I, for one, am excited about the changes.

Desolation EU – Necromancer / Thief
Top 100 Solo Q for a full minute

in PvP

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

and how is having an hard counter bad?

Because a single skill (the boon steal on the new Mug) has the ability to make an entire class unviable (by stealing the HGH might stack crutch).

Show me another skill that can do that?

1. noone said anything about Boon-steal on Mug !

Oops, sorry about that.
Consequence of watching the live stream at 4am :P

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria