"Steal Bug" Making thief unplayable

in PvP

Posted by: Sizer.2654

Sizer.2654

1. Steal bug happens on every 10th steal in which your steal randomly misses. This can happen to golems in the mists and even to rabits in wvwvw from melee range if u miss a steal u auto lose and have to run away !!! every 10th engagement u auto lose cause steal buggs!!!!

2.We all know servers are a bit slower then usual atm , this causes people to get hit mid dodgeroll!!!!!!! i have been bursted for 12k while in dodge roll animation (doing a flip midair) this has been happening to many people on a regular basis

3. so i reccommend not to reroll thief until actions have been taken to fix steal bug and server speed has increased

Ways to fix the bug:

1. Revert the change with being able to steal while in line of sight

2.Allow steal to work regardless where the enemy is postioned ( the port doesent need to work all the time but at least the daze + getting the stolen ability should)

3. Would be amazing if steal dident port u to the target!!!! this would allow dp thiefs to still use n3 and steal to port, nerf sd thiefs ( instead of flanking strike random change), AND FIX ALL THE STEAL BUGS!!!!!!!!

(edited by Sizer.2654)

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Welcome… to the world of your victims!

Muhahahahahahahahaha

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

All these exclamation marks make it hard for me to take you srsly. :<

Bullet Punch

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I agree that these bugs are annoying (steal is kind of very annoying), but not game breaking. At least not for me.

Melder – Thief

in PvP

Posted by: thechamp.3092

thechamp.3092

This post is just….. ‘’I missed my steal’’ sizer 2014

Shad

(edited by thechamp.3092)

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Umm…what? Thief has been fine for me. S/D is still borderline OP against a lot of builds and any issues from these bugs are so minimal, I’ve never noticed them.

Calling the class unplayable…lol. I guess with everyone else over-exaggerating on forum posts, you really have to pump up the drama to compete?

in PvP

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Well bugs should be fixed, so i agree.

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

1. 9/10 times steal hits and you win. 1/10 times you miss and need to run a bit (thieves are kitten at running please buff!!) I’d take those odds
2. Not thief specific.
3. I guess its back to PistolWhip.

Needs more cowbell and “!’s”

Oh and kitten SBOW!!!!!!!!!!!111111one ^^

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidia.5127

Obsidia.5127

I don’t get any of these bugs apart from the odd dodgy steal every now and then. I would say once every 200 times I use it and I can often remember where it happens as I am pretty sure it is to do with the terrain. I guess I just ain’t good enough to notice these strange happenings…right?

(edited by Obsidia.5127)

in PvP

Posted by: Shalla.3967

Shalla.3967

Thieves have it so hard. :’(

Shalla
Asura Quagganmancer

in PvP

Posted by: Rolyate.6753

Rolyate.6753

Poor thieves, they went from over powered to useless in just one forum post.

Rolyate
How do you pronounce your name?

in PvP

Posted by: Blackjack.5621

Blackjack.5621

If thief is unplayable what is ranger? There are many bugs in this game like stuck bug, port into texture, rezz spirit moving into selfinterrupt a 180sec cd, gust missing its target from melee range and other poorly designed stuff. Sure those bugs should be adressed, but I think you are overreacting a bit.

I Zapdos I
WTS Boston winner
Esl profile: http://play.eslgaming.com/player/7930634/

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

@Sizer: Check your ping and run some performance diagnostics on your GW2 connection re: lag spikes. Try running WTFast if you’re not already, I believe a lot of what you’re complaining about can be fixed by decreasing your lag. For example, I only have issues with getting hit mid-dodge when I play on EU (~110ms ping when WTFast is working). On NA, it’s very rare for me (~60ms ping). Not sure if this issue with steal is also lag-related, but I don’t hear complaints about this from any NA thief, so maybe it is.

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in PvP

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

@Sizer: Check your ping and run some performance diagnostics on your GW2 connection re: lag spikes.

Well, your programme might work if your own connection is unstable and suffers from packetloss, but it won’t help when ANets servers are lagging, which probably is the case, as many people are complaining about lag these days. There is no way to fix server lag or ISP problems, only the providers could do so.

Steal is a bit buggy. I often come across the random obstructed or miss due to terrain, which can definitely turn tables in a combat situation, but my biggest annoyance as of yet is the infil arrow dodge bug and rubberbanding, so that your ports don’t work.

Retired GW2 Player

(edited by laquito.5269)

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

gah yeah i hate the steal bugs, either you TP and don’t get the skill, just cooldown,
or you dont even get the TP and it just goes straight on cooldown.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

All thief ports should work like a port like flesh wurm, so that it does not work regardless of LOS. It is stupid that thieves negate good positioning totally. 40s flesh wurm cooldown that you have to set up and plan to use and thief is on you with 1 click.

Trying to defend the treb vs a thief and they set up port out of LOS under the treb and just port up and down till they kill you.

It is just tiresome the way thief ports work. A s/d thief should just never lose a 1v1 imo because they should always be able to get away and port to a location which the opponent cannot get to.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

@Sizer: Check your ping and run some performance diagnostics on your GW2 connection re: lag spikes.

Well, your programme might work if your own connection is unstable and suffers from packetloss, but it won’t help when ANets servers are lagging, which probably is the case, as many people are complaining about lag these days. There is no way to fix server lag or ISP problems, only the providers could do so.

Steal is a bit buggy. I often come across the random obstructed or miss due to terrain, which can definitely turn tables in a combat situation, but my biggest annoyance as of yet is the infil arrow dodge bug and rubberbanding, so that your ports don’t work.

Is the steal thing related to the change they made regarding how the damage gets applied? I think they changed it so it ports you first, then does the attack portion of the ability within a certain range limit a very short time thereafter. So I guess if there is enough of an elevation difference between you and the target, maybe that can cause it to miss?

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in PvP

Posted by: QtHman.6502

QtHman.6502

All thief ports should work like a port like flesh wurm, so that it does not work regardless of LOS. It is stupid that thieves negate good positioning totally. 40s flesh wurm cooldown that you have to set up and plan to use and thief is on you with 1 click.

Trying to defend the treb vs a thief and they set up port out of LOS under the treb and just port up and down till they kill you.

It is just tiresome the way thief ports work. A s/d thief should just never lose a 1v1 imo because they should always be able to get away and port to a location which the opponent cannot get to.

I agree 100% with the port tru LOS thing that kitten shouldn’t be in the game they heff to remove it. E SPORTS

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Completely agree.

It’s so stupid thief teleport can ignore LOS, there is no really sense and it’s a huge gap compared to other teleport professions.

And btw, i really think an instant teleport every 20s that steals boons, does damage, daze, heal yourself and steals a counter profession skill is really too much for this short CD.

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

that’s not the topic here. l2p and QQ somewhere else. this is about bugfixes, and there are a lot of bugs to fix in this game. keep the qq to your other 250 qq threads and keep the bugthreads about bugs only

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

There is no steal bug.

everyone is having massive lag spikes and dcs. theyre internet magic wires are probaby still getting repaired and also new feetcha pach brings more new players and more new bugs.
Hopefuly it gets sorted out till the glory tournament.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Its funny how everyone reacts to this thread.
- QQ theef is to ez already
- thieve can LOS teleport very OP
- there is no bug, go fix your lagg
Just a reminder to you: we are here to talk about a bug, not how OP we are against you high skilled professions

Threads like these appeared right after the “steal fix” as you can see in my Thief Bug thread in my signature.

And for all you non believers I present to you:
—-=The Steal Bug!!!=—-

I guess I’ll have to roll PU now, or hambow, or turret engi, or celestial cheese ele, or minion master, or ranger with the upcoming buffs. No wait.. Meditation guardian!

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

(edited by Menzies The Heretic.3415)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

did you check underneath your keyboard?

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

I take it back, i mostly thought it was connected to the current lags or losing target.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Ok…something doesn’t add up. When I use steal, it works for me. I can’t think of a single time when I saw it not work. When this person uses it twice in a row it doesn’t work.

????

Is this WvW specific? Has this just started happening lately?

in PvP

Menzies The Heretic.3415

I think that next to LOS, steal also requires you to be in path range.

Just like all other pathing skills (lots of AI and teleport skills) fail to reach their destination because there is a tiny pebble in the way. Or bits of terrain are not “connected” which affects rock dogs, clones and other pets to be stuck on one piece of terrain untill you move far enough for them to spawn at your side.

As you can see in my video: it says “out of range”.
While I’m clearly in range.

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

No problems on my end… Worked every time? (Tested on golems)

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Menzies The Heretic.3415

No problems on my end… Worked every time? (Tested on golems)

Your research is not proving anything to be true or false. In fact your research is optional as the statement already has evidence. Unless you prove that to be false, I don’t think there is any other conclusion than: “Steal is buggy”

in PvP

Posted by: Ritt.3069

Ritt.3069

The bug is not as crazy as Sizer makes it out to be, but it’s very real. Sometimes when stealing, it just randomly says ‘Out of Range’, does nothing, and pops on full cooldown. Which is funny, since if the skill is OoR, it should merely be unusable for 4 seconds and not trigger the cooldown. The issue with steal only doing the damage and not the port portion seems to be gone since the latest Steal fix, but now it functions exactly the same, with the difference that it doesn’t even do the damage lol. It does gives you the boons from Thrill of the Crime, but it is still a waste of a perfectly good steal.

The bug seems to be a bit more common in WvW, but it does happen in PvP every now and then as well. There have been multiple threads about the issue in Thief forums, but Anet has graciously been bashful enough to leave the threads ignored.

William Van Dine/Aria Entreri/Weaver of the Dream
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA], Desolation
4 Champion titles, solo/duoq Legend, best old LB rank 64.

(edited by Ritt.3069)

in PvP

Posted by: Slim.3024

Slim.3024

Well, after testing this bug in the mist against golems, I can confirm that Sizer is correct about it.

I am not sure if it was entirely due to my steal missing, but about every 10th time, the golem would just outplay and beat me. Nothing I could really do, it was auto-lose.

(edited by Slim.3024)

in PvP

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

Definitely a weird bug, no specific scenario but I just find myself missing steals when clearly they should hit.

in PvP

Posted by: Suns Dusk.7201

Suns Dusk.7201

1. Steal bug happens on every 10th steal in which your steal randomly misses. This can happen to golems in the mists and even to rabits in wvwvw from melee range if u miss a steal u auto lose and have to run away !!! every 10th engagement u auto lose cause steal buggs!!!!

I don’t think this is a steal bug, but rather a blink/shadowstep issue. Earlier you could steal from anything within range and get the full range of benefits other than shadowstep to target if they were in a place you couldn’t shadowstep to (like stolen ability, poison, daze, heal, whatever you had traited for). Frankly that was a bit broken, so I’m glad they changed this.

As it is now, if they are within range, but shadowstep bugs out for whatever reason, you will only get Thrill Of The Crime boons as if you missed it or used without target and steal will go on full cooldown. A fix to this would be to clean up terrain/code/whatever to make blinks more reliable, thus fixing it for ALL CLASSES, because thief isn’t the only class that suffers from this. I’m sure mesmers have plenty of experience with blink doing nothing for instance … As a fix only for thief maybe put steal on 5s cooldown which is what it does if target is outside range?

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

I think it is a steal bug. I never have problems with infiltrator’s signet or infiltrator’s strike and return. Yesterday alone my steal kept telling me it was obstructed and going on full CD when it should have worked, and a number of times while dueling it told me it was obstructed when there was literally nothing between me and my opponent - not even a rise in the terrain. It also happened when my target was on the lower ledge at the graveyard in legacy of the foefire, telling me it was obstructed. Infiltrator’s strike worked fine immediately after, even phase retread would get you up there, but steal failed me for no apparent reason.

I like the shadow step in steal, I would hate to see it removed. We are already in a rather risky position, not only by being a squishy class, but by having so many eggs in the basket that is the steal skill. The fact that you so easily lose if you miss it just once really shows this.

Edit: Oh and to anyone that responds along the lines of "but X class is more broken so soak it up"... That’s not how problems get attention or resolved, and it’s a ridiculous argument to make. No where does it say by fixing this that the other classes needing attention should be ignored. Although, they’re less likely to get noticed if you’re posting about them on threads intended for a different class - I suggest starting your own thread specifically for your class and perceived problems.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

(edited by Impact.2780)

in PvP

Suns Dusk.7201

Steal isn’t blocked by line of sight, though … It’s an ordinary shadowstep just like Infiltrator’s Signet (it works a bit differently obviously). As I said its a bug for blink/shadowstep in general, but it’s just that steal is a very powerful skill which a lot of people trait heavily into, so it’s very noticeable when it fails.

in PvP

Posted by: Amonatory.2453

Amonatory.2453

Unplayable no, enough to kitten me off yes. This happened directly after anet “fixed” the steal and teleport pathing, oh and what do you know they ended up making it kittenty. This has happened to me soooooo many times that I am beyond sick of it, it has nothing to do with ping and I always try to time my steals perfect, and when you miss a steal you literally shouldn’t have missed it gets old as kitten. If you miss a steal then you basically lose the fight to an equally skilled player because steal is how you set up the burst and be quick about it, sizer is completely right it’s idiotic that this hasn’t been fixed yet, oh wait… It’s anet.

in PvP

Posted by: Rarnark.5623

Rarnark.5623

Unplayable no, enough to kitten me off yes.

Spirit Bae
Bad Boy Teenager Club [BBTC]
twitch.tv/rarnark

in PvP

Posted by: Slim.3024

Slim.3024

We should nerf steal, so it doesn’t hurt as much anymore when you miss one.

in PvP

Posted by: Levis.6137

Levis.6137

I know this bug, it often happens to me in WvW if you try to steal someone on long range in combination with -infiltrator’s signet- -infiltrator’s strike- and then -steal-. I think it’s caused by the aftercast time of the skills. It also happens often, if try to combine -flanking strike- and -steal-. you can stand right in front of your enemy and it will just miss and go on cd.
You will often port to your enemy, but steal will just not hit, even if your enemy will just stand there, and will go on cd.

I don’t think thief is unplayable cause of this, but for duelling it’s just a great disadvantage if your steal, that would normally hit, just fails.

Edit: It never happened to me by just using -steal- alone. Only in combination with other weaponskills. -steal- + -heartseaker- , -steal- + -flanking strike-, -steal- + -infiltrator’s strike-

General Kayun
Riverside [DE]

(edited by Levis.6137)

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

And btw, i really think an instant teleport every 20s that steals boons, does damage, daze, heal yourself and steals a counter profession skill is really too much for this short CD.

Ehm. That steal you speak of have devoted an entire trait line, four adept, two master and one grandmaster trait for that to happen… Still op?

Melder – Thief

in PvP

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Steal bug and getting hit “mid dodge” happen a lot to me…
Getting “out of range” “obstructed” when I’m right next to the enemy is quite common, and usually means a quick death to me. I mean, planning ahead “my steal would miss because of bug” it’s kinda stupid.
I don’’t know why they changed it either. It was so perfect before…

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in PvP

Posted by: TheThiefMaster.3812

TheThiefMaster.3812

Yea i’ve ran into to the same problem as the OP countless times it really needs to be fixed.

Guild – BLNT , NS , oPP
IGN – Kinsz / Server – Sea of Sorrows
https://www.youtube.com/user/BLNTGw2

in PvP

Posted by: Sizer.2654

Sizer.2654

what if the steal bug is related to the bug to cause auto attacks to randomly say out of range or obstructed when it clearly isent

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

btw guys ive heard my thieves complain about this glitch a million times in tournies so i promise its legit
@sizer that still doesnt explain why it goes on full cd

gerdian

in PvP

Suns Dusk.7201

btw guys ive heard my thieves complain about this glitch a million times in tournies so i promise its legit
@sizer that still doesnt explain why it goes on full cd

Because that is what it is supposed to do. Earlier you would deal damage, apply poison, get stolen skill, etc, when you casted it on anything within range regardless if you could shadowstep to it or not, and they didnt blind/block/dodge it. This was fixed July 1:

Steal: Fixed a bug that caused players to occasionally steal an item from targets they could not reach by shadowstepping.

If the shadowstep fails, whether its because the person is in an unreachable spot or if the environment makes it fail because it can be wonky sometimes, you will get the Thrill of The Crime boons (if traited for), and steal will go on full cooldown. No other bonuses are awarded, as the steal didn’t land. It would be as if you used it without a target.

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

what if the steal bug is related to the bug to cause auto attacks to randomly say out of range or obstructed when it clearly isent

I am glad to hear it’s not just me. No one else I run with seems to have this issue, but I moan about it every other match, either causing my steal to fail or shortbow attacks to say out of range/obstructed when I’m like 300 units away on flat ground.

Over a week of lag, freezes, disconnects, teleporting warriors, distortion engineers, invisible terrain... I wish I didn’t like this game; wishing for it to be fixed doesn’t seem to do much good.

It would certainly make sense if the two were related. There you have it, two birds with one stone, ANet! More of a reason to look into it! Yes, yes.. Of course. After a few more seasons of living world.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

(edited by Impact.2780)

in PvP

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

People don’t seem to realize how Steal works at the moment so I’m going to try to explain – keep in mind I’m on a phone so bear with me please.

Previously Steal was an ability that works in two parts. First the damage portion was applied through an LoS (which was later removed) and if you had a straight line to your target within range then it would apply the mechanics of stealing an ability, Mug, Kleptomaniac, Thrill of the Crime, Bountiful Theft, and Sleight of Hand (as well as the 1 point trait in Deadly Arts which I can’t remember the name of off the top of my head, but it’s the poison application). After this or would attempt to teleport which didn’t always work. However the important thing to not was that the ability was still reliable to use because you could always control the damage and interrupt regardless of whether the teleport buffed or not. This made the teleport failure bearable.

After the patch they changed how the mechanic of Steal works. Previously it did the damage in a straight line – regardless of LoS (which is silly, and should never have been changed) and then would teleport you to your target. Now the ability attempts to teleport first, and then has a small radius of about 160 around you that it will trigger the other benefits of using Steal (Mug, SoH, etc). This is where all the problems come in. With the mass of teleport bugs in the game it renders the entire ability unreliable and useless at times. If your teleport bugs then you miss Steal – pretty straightforward. But it gets worse. If you Steal to someone as they teleport away then you will teleport to the spot they were at previously and be out of the 160 radius range, missing Steal. If someone moves an enemy as you Steal (Magnet Pull, Illusionary Wave, etc) you will teleport to where they where and miss your Steal. While the timings for these things are small and seem improbable they happen extremely frequently (multiple times a game) and can be very frustrating.

On a separate note Steal should be reverted to using the other mechanics prior to teleporting but not be able to be used through LoS. This adds reliable counterplay as well as making Steal a reliable ability again, and I cannot comprehend why they would change it from that. Hopefully that clears up any confusion to what the bug actually is and how it works.

Caed

Edit; Some spelling errors caused by using a phone – RIP internet.

(edited by Narcarsis.5739)

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

People don’t seem to realize how Steal works at the moment so I’m going to try to explain – keep in mind I’m on a phone so bear with me please.

Previously Steal was an ability that works in two parts. First the damage portion was applied through an LoS (which was later removed) and if you had a straight line to your target within range then it would apply the mechanics of stealing an ability, Mug, Kleptomaniac, Thrill of the Crime, Bountiful Theft, and Sleight of Hand (as well as the 1 point trait in Deadly Arts which I can’t remember the name of off the top of my head, but it’s the poison application). After this or would attempt to teleport which didn’t always work. However the important thing to not was that the ability was still reliable to use because you could always control the damage and interrupt regardless of whether the teleport buffed or not. This made the teleport failure bearable.

After the patch they changed how the mechanic of Steal works. Previously it did the damage in a straight line – regardless of LoS (which is silly, and should never have been changed) and then would teleport you to your target. Now the ability attempts to teleport first, and then has a small radius of about 160 around you that it will trigger the other benefits of using Steal (Mug, SoH, etc). This is where all the problems come in. With the mass of teleport bugs in the game it renders the entire ability unreliable and useless at times. If your teleport bugs then you miss Steal – pretty straightforward. But it gets worse. If you Steal to someone as they teleport away then you will teleport to the spot they were at previously and be out of the 160 radius range, missing Steal. If someone moves an enemy as you Steal (Magnet Pull, Illusionary Wave, etc) you will teleport to where they where and miss your Steal. While the timings for these things are small and seem improbable they happen extremely frequently (multiple times a game) and can be very frustrating.

On a separate note Steal should be reverted to using the other mechanics prior to teleporting but not be able to be used through LoS. This adds reliable counterplay as well as making Steal a reliable ability again, and I cannot comprehend why they would change it from that. Hopefully that clears up any confusion to what the bug actually is and how it works.

Caed

Edit; Some spelling errors caused by using a phone – RIP internet.

+1 +1 +1

Very clear explanation and agreed

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Yup. Completely agree. Anet is a big doofy poofy for changing this.

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Speaking of bugs, rip +1 page forum bug.

They should also revert the “bug” change to sword 3 on mesmer – they should be able to teleport to the last known location. The ICD on Frost spirit needs to get dropped as well.

Anet is being a big dumb dumb with their “bug fixes”.

in PvP

Posted by: Zord.6130

Zord.6130

PLEASE FIX STEAL!
+1 for Caed s post.

Powerpuff Girls [PPG]
Trixxi Is Cute – Purple Fhaz: your daily roamer