Stop Running and Die with Honor!

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Only semi serious

kitten es me off when I’ve won a fair fight and the other person decides to bail instead of accepting their fate. It’s cheesy and robs me of rightful kills since some classes are very good at disengaging.

As a mesmer I never run away from a fair 1v1 even when I’m about to die and I have the capability to vanish. They got the better of me, I deserve to die, better luck to me next time.

Situations where I run:

1. 2v1, 3v1 etc. I never take on more than one person thinking to beat them both unless one is almost dead. Or unless it’s tPvP and thee strategy requires it. I’m not that arrogant.

2. I get caught with my skills on CD and low health. Then it’s not a fair fight and I don’t feel bad about running.

But in general, show some respect to the other person when they beat you in a fair 1v1. They deserve to get points for winning fair and square. It’s not as if dying costs you anything like broken armor. Just your ego. Which is reasonable since you did lose!

Edit: It’s especially funny when it’s an agreed upon duel and the other person attempts to escape. I mean…what’s the point? It’s not as if I’m going to finish you after you’re downed – rules of the duel and all that.

Edit 2: True, the opposing team gets five points when you die. But if a person runs are they really thinking “I must deny them those 5 points…must run!”

(edited by bhagwad.4281)

in PvP

Posted by: fishybill.6908

fishybill.6908

It’s not as if dying costs you anything like broken armor. Just your ego.

Sarcasm
Lol, no it cost you nothing and its not like it gives the other team points so go ahead die, don’t even try and get away

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

in spvp the opposing team will gain 5 points for my death so i avoid dying at all costs, in wvwvw it costs repairs (not really important) nut also a respawn on the other end of the map! so yeah ill run for my live if i can xD

in PvP

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Dying as a matter of honor in tpvp is bad strategy. Ego doesnt even play into it.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Dying as a matter of honor in tpvp is bad strategy. Ego doesnt even play into it.

I agree – we go to tPvP to win the match above all else. But in hotjoin…?

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

If I played hotjoins, I’d probably agree with you. In tournaments, one death is a lot more than five points. That single death will make your team outnumbered in a crucial teamfight and could easily be the deciding factor in a match. 15 seconds is a long, long time, especially counting additional running time after respawn.

In duels, you’d be letting them get up after you down them anyway. If even that is not silently understood, this world is even more cruel than I thought. I know you’re only semi serious, and I’ll readily put myself in a situation where I know I’ll get killed if I think it will actually help anything. But that’s very rarely the case.

in PvP

Posted by: shockwave.1764

shockwave.1764

I play tournies to win. I’m not some kitten try hard, I really don’t even care that much when we lose, because at the end of the day it’s more experience under my belt, and more knowledge about what we did wrong/right and what we can do better. That being said, I avoid death at all costs, or i’ll prolong it for as long as possible. The longer I am downed and interuppting, the longer that one person is focused on me and not on the node, or my other players who aren’t downed and are useful. If it’s on a contested node, I’ll stay downed as long as possible so the other team doesn’t get point ticks, and if I can get away, it’s better than giving them 5 points and me having to wait 15 seconds for a respawn.

I know it’s frusterating, but don’t stop running and don’t die with honor.

Shóckwávé 80 Elementalist, Shawk 80 Guardian,
Aolbjorn 80 Engineer | Rank 29
Staunch Evon Supporter

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Ok let’s say its a 1v1 duel in a hot join so if you die who cares right?

Well I slightly condone running mostly on the case that not every class can really stand up 1v1.

I mean your a mesmer right? I don’t know what you run.

But for example If you roll phant build which is pretty much God tier 1v1 and takes little to no skill to down decent players (although even better players can find ways to snag them all together and burst them all or pick out important ones then Focus you ect ect ect.) but you being at a clear advantage and being hard countered by “disengage to make phants go poof” then “come back and try to get an opening lead to where your phants won’t be a problem” I find is a rather valid strategy.

To me once you initiate a duel, there are no boundaries till a player dies.

Although it is a little silly when a thief runs away 3 times, or a ele runs away being like “HELP!” Then his friend jumps on you.

But cheesiness aside I think there is a standard that adds up to valid strategy.

“We’re not retreating, we’re advancing! Towards future victory!” – Sarge from Red vs Blue

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Die with honor, never yield!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2TWhA1UFcI

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Dude, this is kiting wars, its the way the game works.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in PvP

Posted by: Jax.5261

Jax.5261

If you die because you choose not to escape to try and protect your honour you are bad at pvp. Absolutely no exceptions.
Sorry to drop it on you but the other players who do not lack the brains to run are simply better than you.

in PvP

Posted by: Drasleona.5049

Drasleona.5049

dying in a tournament , no matter paid or unpaid. you should never be downed or dying, because if you are then you have the possibility of the rest of your team being outnumbered and then you spawn into a 3cap situation.

[VexX]Feared Sniper -JQ Since BWE1
Lvl 80 Beast Master Ranger
VexX Gaming United

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

holy crap man, you just throw that “too much kite, ranged overshadows melee” argument everywhere dont you? Even when it makes 0 sense in the topic. god you’re so annoying

in PvP

Posted by: pot.6805

pot.6805

holy crap man, you just throw that “too much kite, ranged overshadows melee” argument everywhere dont you? Even when it makes 0 sense in the topic. god you’re so annoying

He is right though.

BeeGee
Beast mode

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

They got the better of me, I deserve to die, better luck to me next time.

Are you kidding? Haha.

“Oh! I lost because his skills are significantly better than mine!”

Said no gamer ever.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Luthan.5236

No. If you lose the other guy must be hacking. Or because of lag. (At least thats what some “pros” often cry).

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

If they successfully bailed, then no, you did not win the fight. You did not kill them.

End of discussion.

in PvP

Posted by: mongolianmisfit.8350

mongolianmisfit.8350

I find it funny even when sore losers in a tpvp match pull out the “Why are you running? FIGHT ME!” and then continue to spew nonsense. I guess they didn’t get the memo that the maps aren’t team death match or duelwars2.

in PvP

Luthan.5236

If it ware death match you would have even more a reason to run away.

in PvP

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

You must love Necromancers Bhagawd. I stand and fight, win or lose. Because it’s my only option. Of course I generally do that anyway because it’s my choice. I see my team running away from a few enemies, I go “Challenge Accepted” and generally kill 1 or 2 before I die myself.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

If they successfully bailed, then no, you did not win the fight. You did not kill them.

End of discussion.

I honestly get so disgusted sometimes when people try and run away that I just don’t bother to chase them down.

It’s just…you know…screw them.

I’m not a huge stud of a player. But I feel almost…soiled…to try and fight someone running away.

(edited by bhagwad.4281)

in PvP

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

If you allow the enemy to get away, then you did not control the fight as you thought you did.

Unless it was a rtl ele. Ain’t nobody stopping that until the patch. And even then.. it should be affected by cripple.

in PvP

Posted by: Jax.5261

Jax.5261

End of discussion.

I honestly get so disgusted sometimes when people try and run away that I just don’t bother to chase them down.

It’s just…you know…screw them.

I’m not a huge stud of a player. But I feel almost…soiled…to try and fight someone running away.

Unfortunately this mindset is really bad for this game. You’re going to have to change that if you are wanting to be successful in this game (or if you don’t want people mocking you). Fortunately for you this is very simple.

The most important thing to note is that you do not dictate the rules of the game. Anybody can do anything within their power to win the game. Nobody has to sit there and die to you if they can flee, nobody has to fight against you if the odds are in your favour.
The reason you feel so “Disgusted” is because your brain has set this parameter that doesn’t actually exist in the game. The worst part about it is that, due to these new parameters you’ve set yourself, your builds and playstyle do not account for all the possible actions your enemy can perform.
You mentioned letting yourself die if your enemy “outplayed” you in a fight. You don’t have to die, you haven’t lost yet according to the actual rules of the game. You have ONLY lost according to your rules.

Hopefully I can get you to look at this from a different point of view with an example:
Imagine somebody felt that knockdowns were stupid and ruined the game, they decided not to use them. When they lost to KD’s they decided to post on the forums about how lame it is and how people should stop using KD’s.
They are part of the game and if you deliberately don’t use KD’s you’re at a disadvantage.

You’re at a disadvantage because you’re doing the exact same thing with regards to people retreating.
This isn’t actually a new complaint that any pvp players have had in any game. In GW1 people wouldn’t want you to kite, RS they didn’t want you to heal, SC2 they don’t want you using specific units. You can be dishonourable by DDoSing your enemy it has nothing to do with using game mechanics or strategy to your advantage.

Hope this cleared things up for you and you can go and improve.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

OP were you the player who complained when 3 people rolled him then went on to say I took on 2 of you earlier? Or the player that yells 1v1 me?

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

kitten es me off when I’ve won a fair fight and the other person decides to bail instead of accepting their fate.

“pro” ele’s life…..

in PvP

Posted by: forrae.6708

forrae.6708

i run away the moment i see an enemy and start typing in /s “ok ok, ill uninstall because im a noob”

thugged out since cubscouts

in PvP

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i used to fight til the death. then the more PvP i played the more i felt my “style” changing to match the bigger picture of my team and how the game is structured.

but it still depends on the situation. mind you, i’ll still do what i can to not die or WIN first and foremost, but if i have 3 on me, while i was tryign to cap their point, i’ll run to avoid point loss / our team being a man down. though if i am on a point that is ticking in our favor, even if i am going to die, i’ll try to hold out as long as possible. even if there are 3 on me, i’ll then let my team know, how many are there, and go cap other points, etc etc…

it all depends on the situation. fight or flight. call it strategic. call it without honor. as long as you can live with it.

and we are still talking about a video game here ; ))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

In 1on1 duel, I agree with you. In WvW or tPvP, I disagree, in those situation, it is war. You fight to win not to maintain your honor and cost your team for that. It is kind of selfish since you rely on other person either to Rez you or try harder just because you die for your ego. This is just a friendly post.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in PvP

Posted by: Genesis.3295

Genesis.3295

OP gave me cancer

in PvP

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Hell I intentionally avoid people I know I can kill. I’ll hang out for a few seconds around the corner and wait for them to wander off to the action so I can backcap.

I know from experience too, nothing makes you feel more like a jerk than when you sit and defend a point for 30 seconds with no action, wander off, then see the point get neutralized 4 seconds after you leave. haha

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

sorry but if you cannot down me then the match is not over.

if you are really good your opponent will not have a chance to run away.

in PvP

Posted by: Bogy.2953

Bogy.2953

so you have an imaginary set of rules on how this game should be played and if others who don’t know them and can’t read your mind don’t follow them they are somehow less then you or “dishonorable”

lol way to be the definition of a scrub op

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Its a tactic. For instance I run when I have like 2k health left and so do you, but wait! You’re dead! Pets ftw.

in PvP

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

In hotjoin I play as a survivalist… my personal goal is 10 kills to zero deaths. I don’t look at which team wins… I concentrate on killing and surviving. If I die once, I failed.

Just so happens that playing this way seems to do a lot for whichever side I’m on too.

Tiger

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

sorry but if you cannot down me then the match is not over.

if you are really good your opponent will not have a chance to run away.

Seems like someone never heard of cantrip-eles.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

“The will to live is stronger than anything.” – Rurouni Kenshin

in PvP

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

You’d rather have respawn wars?

in PvP

Posted by: fishybill.6908

fishybill.6908

OP were you the player who complained when 3 people rolled him then went on to say I took on 2 of you earlier? Or the player that yells 1v1 me?

lol, had this the other day on Kylo, I was holding close point and a ranger pops up and starts attacking me.

Quick call in team chat, surprisingly for a soloq game, someone comes and we kill him.

15 seconds later same things happens, this time the ranger whispers me “ kitten just 1v1 me you *&$£”

Some people really need to learn the sum of the match is greater than the individual!

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

Let’s all run duel builds now, because 1v1 matters! ~

NOPE! xD

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

in PvP

Posted by: Neare.9703

Neare.9703

While you’re chasing you’re not capping… =/

in PvP

Posted by: Fubar.4389

Fubar.4389

This post should have addressed people who are getting stomped in sPvP and quit so you don’t get the points!

Marmite – Engineer – Desolation – EU

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

You’d rather have respawn wars?

No, i would rather have a proper healer class, but since that is not an option given the lack of resource management in this game, i would settle for melee to be meaningful, which at this point isnt.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in PvP

Posted by: Vence.6974

Vence.6974

My friend only uses a Sword with no offhand on his thief because he feels its more honorable that way…

The Yellowflash of GW2