Stop making MAPS and give us MODES

in PvP

Posted by: Safire.9143

Safire.9143

Title says it all… im very tired of playing this one mode with these all around maps all day…. give us something new and stop reworking your things and do something big that please community… youre just reworking everything in this game.

0% of quality work from devs, they make only quantity… so sad, pvp died, and it has to be big part of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

They still have to make maps for those modes.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

I don’t get this obsession with new modes. Without a properly balanced game, new modes won’t do jack to change how happy people are with the pvp. And no, I don’t belive giving us new modes make those ‘obscure’ builds suddenly viable. People will keep playing the better cheese suited for that mode or roll the fotm, and the complains will never cease.

With just one mode avaible we get tons of complaint threads here, imagine with more than that. Had the game launched with other mode than conquest (say team deathmath), we’d have threads asking for conquest. It’s not the mode, it’s the balance/how fun the pvp is atm.

Now, this post doesn’t mean to insult OP or anyone here. I’m just getting tired of the same topic over and over again.

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

@Asomal

If people stopped talking about what they want out of this game then nothing will happen. I’m just as tired of hearing about what’s wrong with pvp, but the fact of the matter is there isn’t anything being done about it. Balancing a game is a very long process that will never achieve perfection because there will always be imbalances. The thing is, I can put up with imbalances as long as the game is fun. WoW was never a balanced game, but millions played it because it was fun. I hate to compare this game to wow because this game has way more potential, but Blizz did really well with battlegrounds and what I wouldn’t give to have something similar to battlegrounds here. I just don’t see the harm in introducing more game types. Anet seems to think that new game modes will destroy this game.

(edited by SuperHaze.4210)

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

We are working on new game modes. As we get closer to being ready to talk about them more, we’ll give you guys more details!

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Nary Why Irk.8150

Nary Why Irk.8150

We are working on new game modes. As we get closer to being ready to talk about them more, we’ll give you guys more details!

Jon please, tell us in general lines how is the new reward system going to be like.
Thanks a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Unfortunately for you guys, we saw the leaks, however I have to say I’m extremely excited for it.

I’m really glad to see you adopting the idea of “Deathmatch with Objectives” or something like that, instead the opposite that Conquest sort of is which is “Objectives with some killing here and there.”

Objectives based pvp modes are actually fine, like conquest, but some VARIETY in objective based pvp modes is what will be the true winner here. =D

Again I can’t wait, this should breath some fresh air into the game, good luck.

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

Thanks for the response and please excuse the pessimism Jon, but can we get some kind of a timeline as to when you guys might be ready to talk about new game modes. Dev responses to posts have always been dodgy and vague so the community always feels it’s in the dark about pvp development. The fact that you don’t have a real PTR adds to that feeling as well. We can’t take any more conquest on tiny maps. If money is an issue, place all the pve and rank armor skins in the cash shop and I’m sure a lot of people will buy skins so that we don’t have to rank grind to get those.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Is this because you aren’t sure about the mode or because you don’t have things ready for that mode?

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Knote.2904

Is this because you aren’t sure about the mode or because you don’t have things ready for that mode?

Because they’re not finished and won’t discuss them til they’re close to being cut in stone. It’s probably at a point where it will change a whole lot and can’t be determined when it will be finished and thus talking to us in depth about it will be a waste of time and cause “expectations” and dissapointments.

in PvP

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

We have different game types brewing at different levels of completion.

Some of them break away entirely from capture points and put the scoring emphasis on objectives/kills.

Some, as you guys know, are just different ways of looking at death match.

We don’t want to just release a ton of new game modes, so the reason we don’t talk about all of them is we’re basically testing a lot of them, and then we’ll see which ones work the best together.

As we’ve said before, we also want to be sure we don’t put out too many, and split up the players too much, while putting out enough so that you guys have variety.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

They’re working on new modes? Wow! I just want big maps, 10 vs 10, attack/defend kind of scenario (aka FA in gw1). team DM would be ‘okay’ as well but that’s what hotjoin is for so meh

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in PvP

Knote.2904

They’re working on new modes? Wow! I just want big maps, 10 vs 10, attack/defend kind of scenario (aka FA in gw1). team DM would be ‘okay’ as well but that’s what hotjoin is for so meh

This, just one map/mode that’s more like a bigger 15 v 15 like Jade Quarry.

I played the HELL out of Jade Quarry when I played casually in gw1. Dear god those were fun times.

in PvP

Posted by: Nary Why Irk.8150

Nary Why Irk.8150

Some of them break away entirely from capture points and put the scoring emphasis on objectives/kills.

We don’t want to just release a ton of new game modes, so the reason we don’t talk about all of them is we’re basically testing a lot of them, and then we’ll see which ones work the best together.

As we’ve said before, we also want to be sure we don’t put out too many, and split up the players too much, while putting out enough so that you guys have variety.

That´s very good Jon.

Please anything about the new reward system?
Just general lines…
will rank system be changed?

in PvP

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

I would love a DM mode.

just get rid of the amulets and let us gear out characters with all stats available like in wvw. I can assure you this will bring the GvG crowd in to your spvp

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in PvP

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

The “deathmatch” mode needs to have objectives. What objectives? Dunno. But it needs to have them.

All a deathmatch mode would do is send five times as many people to these forums to complain about class balance because of the people running mobile/stealth 1v1 builds.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

in PvP

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

@ Rewards: We want to make it more fun to rank up and we want to provide more incentive to rank up. We also want to have more fun progression as you’re ranking up with cool rewards as you’re ranking.

We also don’t like how long it takes to rank up for some players after they hit a certain rank, so we’ll be addressing that as well.

@ Bigger maps: The idea right now is to make something that can scale in team size so that you can play it in bigger teams, or smaller teams. We also want to make sure we spread people out on the maps in a way that creates space, while also creating pockets where conflict is encouraged (and rewarded!).

-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

JSharp is the man!!! Thanks for the great stuff to look forward to! Keep up the good work and thanks for communicating!

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Cheri Wolf.3056

Cheri Wolf.3056

Yeah!
#JSHARP #2013! #BALLA!

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Wepresidentnow.

You tested anything with a “ball/orb” in the middle of a map?

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Brando.1374

The “deathmatch” mode needs to have objectives. What objectives? Dunno. But it needs to have them.

All a deathmatch mode would do is send five times as many people to these forums to complain about class balance because of the people running mobile/stealth 1v1 builds.

ok let me change it up. TEAM deathmatch. like we currently have with GvG’s
if they add a solo DM then thats on anet.

in PvP

Knote.2904

@ Rewards: We want to make it more fun to rank up and we want to provide more incentive to rank up. We also want to have more fun progression as you’re ranking up with cool rewards as you’re ranking.

We also don’t like how long it takes to rank up for some players after they hit a certain rank, so we’ll be addressing that as well.

@ Bigger maps: The idea right now is to make something that can scale in team size so that you can play it in bigger teams, or smaller teams. We also want to make sure we spread people out on the maps in a way that creates space, while also creating pockets where conflict is encouraged (and rewarded!).

That sounds like well designed map if you can make it happen. Team scaling maps sounds interesting too.

I don’t want to take up more of your free time with silly questions but, I know you’re afraid of splitting people up and possibly lowering the population that will participate in the normal conquest.

But lets say you release some of these new modes and they’re a huge hit and it takes away from conquest a bit. Then eventually people start to play the new modes/maps more competitively if it happens to just be more balanced and fun, would your balance/esports priorities move from the less desired mode to the new ones? It would probably be wise to follow the crowd’s desires and nurture a budding esports scene out of it like Riot did with LoL.

Just wondering how open minded you guys are with the esports situation.

in PvP

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

Make Deathmatch happen in some sort of continuous Random Arena\Team Arena and I will randomly propose to someone from the PVP-staff. #nohomo
D I V A

in PvP

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Might be slightly off topic but I LOVE free maps. Rock on Jsharp, thanks for all the hard work and dedication of you and your team.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in PvP

Nuka Cola.8520

Make Deathmatch happen in some sort of continuous Random Arena\Team Arena and I will randomly propose to someone from the PVP-staff. #nohomo
D I V A

why people sign their messages with their name when you can clearly see the name already? Are we in 1800 sending a letter to a castle across barren seas or what lol

in PvP

Knote.2904

D I V A

why people sign their messages with their name when you can clearly see the name already? Are we in 1800 sending a letter to a castle across barren seas or what lol

Well, his name is Diva….

in PvP

Nuka Cola.8520

D I V A

Well, his name is Diva….

i know, but that’s what we see already, D I V A.6018. That’s like spelling your name twice.

in PvP

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Chopps chopps chopps chopps chopps

By Chopps

Its a free forum if he wants to sign his comments like a respectable late 19th century gentleman, why blame him? (or her)

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in PvP

Nuka Cola.8520

i don’t-.- just asking the point of it

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

just dont make some player vs wall or player vs vehicle mode! this is PVP!

in PvP

Nuka Cola.8520

just dont make some player vs wall or player vs vehicle mode! this is PVP!

we already have player vs zoo and zoo needs a vehicle. I would welcome vehicles!

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

are people seriously asking for 10v10 and 15v15? Lol? Less is more, the less people playing vs eachother the more enjoyable the combat (down to a number of 3)

in PvP

Knote.2904

are people seriously asking for 10v10 and 15v15? Lol? Less is more, the less people playing vs eachother the more enjoyable the combat (down to a number of 3)

Not asking for 15 v 15 in the current maps, but bigger maps, think the old FA/JQ GW1 maps or even classic battlegrounds for WoW.

Actually conquest would probably be more fun if it were bigger like Arathi Basin.

I think they should wait to see if the pvp population grows first before trying to make large maps meant for 15 v 15 and stuff however.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Oh god.
You guys aren’t even close???
When you guys were close to making leader boards… it took like 4~ more months…
And you aren’t even close…

klasd;sdlhasld;glshlasdhgsl;ah;sdlahsdgf

Words seem to be just smoke in the wind at this point.

in PvP

Nuka Cola.8520

if maps are big then yes, more is more. You already have low amount of players in spvp if that’s what you prefer. Also, he’s suggesting that maps will scale so a 4v4 is probably possible.

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

You haven’t got a community to split up.

PvP was an afterthought in this game, a footnote. We were promised pvp to rival gw1, inspired by gw1. AAA Esport. What we got was a poorly run mode where you could bring your PvE skills and abilities against one another.

in PvP

Brando.1374

if you want the current gw2 GvG crowd to come in and save whatever esport hope this game has yes make it at least 15v15

in PvP

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

As someone who mostly plays pve but has a decent amount of pvp experience (rank 30+), improving the rewards should be first and foremost. The best idea, and something I can’t stress enough, is:
PvP ONLY REWARDS THAT CAN BE PORTED INTO PvE
There are tonnes of skins that can only be obtained in pve that can be ported into pvp, but none the other way around. Having uber nice skins that can only be obtained by pvp will get tonnes of new players from the thriving pve community in to pvp. For example: completing the set for the very popular radiance armor (chest, legs, boots and helm).
People want shinnies.

All that being said, I am really excited to see more game modes added

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

Lol some people think GvG has more esport potential than conquest kk

in PvP

Brando.1374

Lol conquest has been here for over a year and what does it have to show for it...... a petting zoo hahaha

Gvg is popular and is building up fast. anet should capitalize on it instead of being stubborn and sticking with what they think works.

(edited by Brando.1374)

in PvP

Posted by: Chromosome.7498

Chromosome.7498

And why don’t make your news modes in open beta test ?

I think with all people who ask new mode, you will have some feedbacks and your new mode will be fixe faster than a closed beta test.

You know, if the community is angry, it’s because they like GW2, and they just want see grow up this game. And maybe if community contribute to the creation and the improvement to a new mode, the mentality can change. And the angry players can be change to player who invests.

Anet, you are on a good way, but we don’t want to wait too much !

(edited by Chromosome.7498)

in PvP

Nuka Cola.8520

Lol conquest has been here for over a year and what does it have to show for it…… a petting zoo hahaha

Gvg is popular and is building up fast. anet should capitalize on it instead of being stubborn and sticking with what they think works.

This X over 9000. If maps are smartly built with objectives (so it isn’t just damage spam all day) it could be awesome.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

What about “We tested other modes in beta and conquest was the best one” ?

More modes won’t cleanse ur sins.

in PvP

Posted by: Tron.7639

Tron.7639

@Jonathan Sharp

Thank you for informing us on the current state of things regarding new modes and progression.

Im also not a particular fan of conquest in its current iteration and Map Objectives in general.
Personally i think competitive sPvP has 3 viable Maps: Forest, Foefire and Khylo.

What i also think is that all 3 have good concepts but all of them fall a bit short because the concepts are “split” between them, in the sense as they all have good ideas but isolated ones.
In that sense, i also think the Guild Lord should be present in all Maps, and not because im a GW1 veteran but because i think it makes for an interesting dynamic to the game, it adds the possibility of an unexpected shift in power in every game and makes people have strategies to fight that possibility.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————
My suggestion to you would be to try and incorporate more or all of current good ideas in the same map. Something like:

Map A: Central conquest point | 2x Trebs | Guild Lord.

You would have a fight for the center, a fight for the trebs targeting (mainly) the center and also the possibility of a Lord attack.

Map B: Forest Creatures | 2 Control Points | 1x Treb | Guild Lord

2 Secondary objectives, a battle for the single treb (indestructible), only 2 control points not that far from each other.

Map 3: etc.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————

And these Maps would just rotate with each other, so there wouldn’t be a “Conquest Mode” and a “Deathmatch Mode”, just different Maps with different objectives, all of them offering different playstiles. You could even rework some of the current Maps to fit your ideas.

Anyway, just my 2cents.
Big thanks to you JSharp for your love for the game, a game we all love aswell.

Regards,
Oblit3rate

in PvP

Knote.2904

No one is saying it will or should be an Esports.

Nothing should be “determined” to be an esports, it can’t be, that’s not how it works.

They just need to make the game as fun and possible and give people options, whichever happens to get the most play and support will probably be your esports format, whatever it may be.

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

we saw the leaks and we’re very excited. team DM will be the future of GW2 pvp, especially if it births GvG as well. you may notice that all the profs are very naturally balanced around team DM, including much greater build variety. conquest is what made everything whacky.

in PvP

Posted by: Diage.6451

Diage.6451

This makes me sad.

Why work on rewards, rewards won’t get you new people and won’t make your game better. They’re nice but your problems are far greater than rewards.

And really.. sure, make your map bigger, don’t care about that part.. the part I care about is what you are going for in your game.. “We also want to make sure we spread people out on the maps in a way that creates space.”

I get it, you want to make collapsing more important. The problem is that your game will never be a good competitive game if your mentality as a developer is to create game modes that spread players out. You need to have natural spaces of conflict where a majority of the combat happens. This is not a moba where you roam for 20 minutes and then collapse because there is no gold incentive. This is an RPG where you need to focus on ATTRITION and enduring fights. Not collapsing.

That must be a troll. There is no way you can honestly think creating game modes to spread teams out is a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

you should have a 20v20 mode to cater to what’s popular in the community – the deathmatch GvGs. you can easily expand on this and use the popularity of this to promote the game itself, which will in turn affect your baby 5v5 sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

I don’t get this obsession with new modes. Without a properly balanced game, new modes won’t do jack .

People will put up with minor imbalance if the mode is fun aka deathmatch you also can work around some classes weaknesses with a good team concept in deathmatch mode. You can do that with conquest not going to waste time explaining why.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

not a problem if you attract more players.
put in enough pve rewards to attract more pve players into pvp.