Stop rewarding failure!

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Captain Obvious.6951

Captain Obvious.6951

I’m so tired of this millennial generation where they think they should get a trophy just for showing up.

The season chest rewards are pretty nice. 20 gold on the final chest is pretty good.

How you get there though seems stupid.

It takes 30 pips to get a chest.

You get about 10 pips for a win, sometimes 8 or 9, sometimes 11. So let’s just say easy math, 10.

You get about 5 pips for a loss. Sometimes 4, sometimes 6, let’s just say easy math, 5.

So that means you can lose twice, and that equals a win? Like… really?

This is what we call rewarding failures!

What it should be… 14 for a win……. 1 for a loss.

So hey if you average 50% wins, you won’t notice a difference at all. You’ll still average 7-8 pips every 2 games.

However if you’re good, and win more than you lose, you’ll be rewarded for that!

And if you aren’t so good, and lose a lot of games, you’ll be punished for that!

I mean am I crazy? Why do I feel like everywhere I look in the world everyone wants to try to reward people for failing?

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Well, your maths is wrong but i kinda agree. They should dishonor ppl who don’t make enough contribution to the match, it’s a better way to fish out afkers or feeders. Dota2 will penalize you for consistently playing terribly. While it’s a bit annoying if you are switching from your good character to your bad, no one should be… That bad

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

You get 3 pips for losing (4 for play, 5 for legendary) and 1 additional pip for top stats.

If you’re put on a team that has lackluster players but you do all the right things from rotating, reviving, supporting, and dealing damage, and get 5 top stats, that’ll mean you’ll get 8 pips for a loss.

To say that the effort you put in carrying a team goes unrewarded in a game is ridiculous. The pip reward system is a linear track that is meant to incentivize winning because you get gold and ascended shards quicker.

What should matter most is your rank as you gain for winning and right now it doesn’t feel rewarding when you do win and gain rank. But the pip system is nothing more than an experience bar that fills up for winning or losing which is perfectly fine.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Because ANet tried that in the past, and what happened was that so few people showed up that it was waiting in queues for an average of 10 – 15 mins, or you ended up fighting the same few people over and over (and woe be to you if you happen to get bots or someone with whom you’ve had a fight and they just decide to afk or feed the enemy points).

You want a higher standard of competition. I get that, and respect that. There’s the Daily Tournaments, but I expect that’s too infrequent for your satisfaction. So the next best compromise is basically reverting the game modes to Solo/Team Queue, so you can form a team that meets your standards. However, be prepared to once again end up in the same situation of long queues/too few people.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

So you want 20 minute queues because you forgot this is supposed to video game.

Cool.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

1: For previous seasons (haven’t played this one enough to confidently say nothing changed but I’ll assume it hasn’t) your math is off, the equivalent to 10 for a win would be 3 for a loss, it’s 11 and 4 with a top stat. To my knowledge <10 for a win only happens for very short games (to discourage farming I guess) and >4 for a loss only in close games and at high ranks.

2: There is (supposed to be) little correlation between skill and odds of a match, disregarding the top and bottom few percent. What causes you to have the advantage is being underestimated by the matchmaker, someone with 1200 mmr but a skill equivalent of 1500 mmr should get better odds than someone who is correctly evaluated at 1700 mmr.

As long as a matchmaking system is used to create 2 teams that are as equally matched as possible rewarding only victory is nonsensical.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Dota2 will penalize you for consistently playing terribly.

How? The only penalty is to be degraded in rank, which is useless in a game with so low population that oftenly pairs silvers and plats in the same match.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

i think the system is good at it is. Everyone who plays gets rewards. Games are more fun this way. This isn’t esports. There is no professional scene. This game is very casual. Pvp in this game is very casual. Stop trying to make it into something that’s more hardcore than it actually is.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

You can’t always win. With medium skills and medium luck you’ll only win 50% of the time. The game is less frustrating for non-top-tier players when you actually get some progression rewards for your effort as well when you end up dead. So, it me it is fine to give some rewards towards a loss.

A good player can end up in a bad team and lose and a bad player can end up in a good team and win also.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

How? The only penalty is to be degraded in rank, which is useless in a game with so low population that oftenly pairs silvers and plats in the same match.

Low priority matchmaking pool

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Crackers.9628

Crackers.9628

The game doesn’t put you in low priority because of bad gameplay, it puts you in lp because of excessive reports. You can intentionally feed every game and not end up in low prio.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

The game doesn’t put you in low priority because of bad gameplay, it puts you in lp because of excessive reports. You can intentionally feed every game and not end up in low prio.

Yes, that’s what i mean though, there’s an avenue of options to deal with exceptionally bad players/troll players. How is that not better than what we have currently

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

Yes, that’s what i mean though, there’s an avenue of options to deal with exceptionally bad players/troll players. How is that not better than what we have currently

Because telling new players they shouldn’t pvp because they’re noobs is always productive for a healthy pvp environment.
sarcasm

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

Because telling new players they shouldn’t pvp because they’re noobs is always productive for a healthy pvp environment.
sarcasm

They have unranked to be bad in.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Jinn Galen.2468

Jinn Galen.2468

sarcasm

You may want devs to fix matchmaking first though. To be honest I never believed that higher ranks and lower ranked players would ever get mixed but it does happen apparently. Fix matchmaking so that only same tiered players would play together, then you can worry about a report system so you can weed out the trolls or players who just don’t belong to that tier yet (probably got lucky in placements).

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

It’s not like i don’t want bad players to have a chance to get better, but i agree with OP that the current system panders to afkers and/or idgafyolo players. I’d rather the system be governed with as an fist than a carebear

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

I’m so tired of this millennial generation where they think they should get a trophy just for showing up.

I have never met a millennial that thought like this. Besides, your baby boomer generation is who gave said millennials those trophies.

Some people PvP ONLY for the rewards, regardless of win/loss. That reward is for time investment, the top 250 rewards are the skill reward that rewards winning.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

If you lose, you lose rating. The ‘rewards’ have nothing to do with pvp.

The only person acting entitled is the OP who demands that an entire online game be rolled back to year 1 to conform to your personal worldview without any regard to how that would kill the population.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

If you lose, you lose rating. The ‘rewards’ have nothing to do with pvp.

The only person acting entitled is the OP who demands that an entire online game be rolled back to year 1 to conform to your personal worldview without any regard to how that would kill the population.

Have to agree, back then pvp was almost dead. Now at least has some if very small player pool.

You still have to be good to win, im average and get to gold but not further.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

sarcasm

Being bad or good doesn’t matter. Everyone can and should do ranked matches because the rewards are good. The only difference between ranked and unranked is the rewards. And it’s really not for you to worry about if a people are bad or good. There is a system in place that will rank them. MMR works and people will always end up playing with people of similar skill level if they play enough games. Despite the outcry of MMR being broken, it isn’t.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Dunning-Krueger effect is at its strongest in competitive environments like pvp.

I’ve met very few pvp players that seek introspection when they lose instead of blaming their teammates.

In LoL, the top streamers place high rankings despite Pugging because they know they can’t affect their teammates, so they work on being the best they can.

Stop rewarding failure!

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Well, your maths is wrong but i kinda agree. They should dishonor ppl who don’t make enough contribution to the match, it’s a better way to fish out afkers or feeders. Dota2 will penalize you for consistently playing terribly. While it’s a bit annoying if you are switching from your good character to your bad, no one should be… That bad

Smite does that same thing. The only two ranked PvP leagues that I play that don’t do this. Is GW2 and Paragon. Both of these game’s PvP has been casualized and completely stripped of anything to do with supporting competitive gameplay.

GW2 has pushed PvP to the side and more or less gave up on it. And started to focus more on PvE.

Paragon has completely gave up on breeding a competitive PvP environment. Now Epic Games just tries keep what they can with cool looking custom skins and slowly turning towards the P2W ways.

My point here is. Stop expecting competitive gameplay from games who have no intention on providing it.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys