Stronghold

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Avllos.7126

Avllos.7126

Yo, Dawg. I heard you like PvE in your PvP – so I put more PvE in your PvP so you can ignore each other and attack doors.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Yo, Dawg. I heard you like PvE in your PvP – so I put more PvE in your PvP so you can ignore each other and attack doors.

MOBAs have PvE in PvP, yet they are far more popular pvp than conquest.

The problems with Stronghold are due to how the map and its mechanics were implemented:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/StrongHold-plyrs-Unchecked-Box/

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I love it, pretty much the best thing Anet have done for spvp. So much room for strategy, and everything just seems more fun – the fights, the objectives, the secondary mechanics.

Such a welcome relief after thousands of hours of playing conquest over the last few years.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Honestly? Its giving me a place where my build is still viable. In the current conquest meta my playstyle and class simply don’t….do anything. In stronghold though I can still have a significant impact on the course of the match.

Ghost Yak

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Failed? Doesn’t seem like it. It hasn’t really been embraced by tournaments, but it seems to be pretty well accepted by a lot of the player base outside of players who simply balk at the presence of any NPC in PvP.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Caine.8204

Caine.8204

Failed? Doesn’t seem like it. It hasn’t really been embraced by tournaments, but it seems to be pretty well accepted by a lot of the player base outside of players who simply balk at the presence of any NPC in PvP.

As literally 99% of players pick Legacy of the Foefire whenever it’s a choice.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

I’ve already put up a thread on it. Follow link & voice ur opinion.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/StrongHold-plyrs-Unchecked-Box/page/2#post5752473

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

The problems with Stronghold are due to how the map and its mechanics were implemented:

The MOBAs you’re alluding to use their PvE to enable the PvP aspect of the match through killing mobs to accumulate resources that can then be used to win fights and positions. Stronghold on the other hand uses PvE in the opposite fashion by making the PvP aspect nearly useless by requiring players to facilitate the PvE mechanics of the game mode to then fight more PvE elements in taking down the lord. No aspect of stronghold forces teams to engage in combat with one another in order to win the game. There’s a big difference between farming resources in preparation for combat and a PvE race, such as Stronghold.

Honestly I’m not sure why it’s included in the competitive/ranked queue. It was clearly intended for the more casual and PvE oriented players.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I don’t care for conquest but Alterac Valley and Conquest Isle in WoW were very fun and mixed PvP and PvE. Lots of fighting players in between the zerg rushing too. GW2 needs maps like those. I know WvW kinda tries emulating them to an extent but it isn’t the same, we need big groups like that.

“Stronghold on the other hand uses PvE in the opposite fashion by making the PvP aspect nearly useless by requiring players to facilitate the PvE mechanics of the game mode to then fight more PvE elements in taking down the lord.”

In other words I’ve been doing it wrong by engaging other players Still happy to see the occasional highest damage or healing though.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

As literally 99% of players pick Legacy of the Foefire whenever it’s a choice.

Umm…what? Are you talking about players who queue with both Conquest and Stronghold checked? Because players who only like Conquest won’t see Stronghold as a choice and vice versa.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfs Shadow.7234

Wolfs Shadow.7234

I agree with you the mechanics don’t make much sense. The lanes never criss cross, so player interaction could actually cost you the match. The only reason I enjoy playing it is because I am so tired of conquest and the same maps over and over and over. I am more shocked that people keep hating on maps whether it be skyhammer or courtyard as there is already a very LIMITed supply of pvp maps as is.

ANET keeps taking away maps instead of adding new ones. Courtyard did not need to be taken out, it just needed its own queue.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

You can have really good matches in SH. Problem is I don’t feel that the game is balanced for SH, and you’ll see extremely broken specs playing it.

I personally have come to enjoy it due to what HoT has brought to Conquest. It’s a nice change of pace, and contrary to popular belief it does take team work to win.

Stronghold

in PvP

Yasha.5963

The MOBAs you’re alluding to use their PvE to enable the PvP aspect of the match through killing mobs to accumulate resources that can then be used to win fights and positions. Stronghold on the other hand uses PvE in the opposite fashion by making the PvP aspect nearly useless by requiring players to facilitate the PvE mechanics of the game mode to then fight more PvE elements in taking down the lord. No aspect of stronghold forces teams to engage in combat with one another in order to win the game. There’s a big difference between farming resources in preparation for combat and a PvE race, such as Stronghold.

Honestly I’m not sure why it’s included in the competitive/ranked queue. It was clearly intended for the more casual and PvE oriented players.

Honestly you are speaking out of your kitten . The fundamental difference is that in a moba your player “levels up” and the death penalty doesn’t progressively increase. In other respects the link between the pve and pvp aspects is quite similar.

Stronghold presents plenty of opportunities for pvp- as much as if not more than in a moba. The way you are describing it is like two teams playing a moba and they only focus on one lane each, just racing to break the towers behind their minions without ganking, trying to protect a lane, or taking advantage of secondary objectives. You can play like that if you want to in either a moba or stronghold, but expected to get crushed by any other team with half a brain.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Nothing has really changed about this gamemode since like, BWE2. I think they got more than enough feedback already and at this point I’m just waiting for any update to this game mode.

It’s fun, but has obvious problems. Problems that could’ve been solved already.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

The gamemode definitely calls for a different crowd. I see more guilds, WvW players and PvE players choosing stronghold over conquest. In terms of improvements, that’s a different convo for another thread entirely. But in terms of a “fail”, I definitely wouldn’t call it that.

If there was a gamemode that failed, it would be courtyard. Anet just implemented a very poor tdm (technically exactly what the community asked for…) but it could be Esports material if it had rounds, and is 2v2 or 3v3 only

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

It’s pretty simple: Casual players like Stronghold because it’s simple. Competitive players will play conquest because it has far more strategic depth.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Stronghold

in PvP

Yasha.5963

It’s pretty simple: Casual players like Stronghold because it’s simple. Competitive players will play conquest because it has far more strategic depth.

Stronghold is far more complex and more strategic than conquest.

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Id say they have around the same level of depth. And not everyone that doesn’t enjoy capture and hold is a casual. They just might honestly not enjoy conquest. It has nothing to do with there dedication or skill.

Ghost Yak

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: princode.2750

princode.2750

I dun think there’s a lot of ppl playing. currently you see quite a decent amount of ppl playing is because they restrict new player to conquest. From rank 1 to 10 you have to play stronghold they have no choice. I already had new player in my guild hating stronghold they cant wait to get to rank 10 and forever dun play stronghold its that bad. Can Anet come out with something decent

1. spirit watch = fail
2. Sky hammer = fail again
3. Stronghold = another fail project
4. WVW = never decent before its even worst now

Summary= can they understand we want pvp not pve. Stop trying to follow dota style of pvp this is gw2 not dota

(edited by princode.2750)

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Bartosz.2013

Bartosz.2013

Stronghold is good, at least much better than this boring conquest

Stronghold

in PvP

Exedore.6320

It’s not even close. Most of stronghold’s strategy/tactics are learning how to abuse the terrible AI. Once the NPCs are dead, there’s no reason to stay. If it starts to stalemate, the only remaining depth is sending someone to stability channel mist essence for points and waiting for the timer.

In conquest, you constantly have to think about which players to send to which points, whether to add to a fight or abandon it, when the secondary objectives are worthwhile or if they’ll detract from putting people in fights.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Stronghold

in PvP

Yasha.5963

It’s not even close. Most of stronghold’s strategy/tactics are learning how to abuse the terrible AI. Once the NPCs are dead, there’s no reason to stay. If it starts to stalemate, the only remaining depth is sending someone to stability channel mist essence for points and waiting for the timer.

In conquest, you constantly have to think about which players to send to which points, whether to add to a fight or abandon it, when the secondary objectives are worthwhile or if they’ll detract from putting people in fights.

Well I can see from what you have posted here that you have no clue whatsoever so hard to take anything you say seriously.

Stronghold

in PvP

Exedore.6320

Then enlighten me. What depth exists in Stronghold?

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

Then enlighten me. What depth exists in Stronghold?

There are more roles. One that would exist if stronghold took off is a supply bunker with CC to hold control of all of the supply.