Struggling in pvp

Struggling in pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Isha.4278

Isha.4278

I keep struggling both with finding builds that are fun to play but also with GW2s idea of pvp. It seems the only viable way in pvp (and in game in general) is to simply go all out dmg and give a long one about any form of defense. Toughness doesnt do anything at all it feels like, especially when i can manage to get close to around 2100 on my warrior and it doesnt lower the damaged received by full on zerker warriors or thiefs one bit! What is the point of toughness if it doesnt make you any more tougher?!!

At the moment im rotating between my warrior, guardian and elementalist in pvp and for some reasons i just cannot pull it off with trying to hold a point. Its just not working at all! Maybe it is me being too used to actually being able to take damage from other games, but it feels more like this games emphasis on damage is totally outweighing that of defense!

Struggling in pvp

in PvP

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

It sounds like you just need practice.

Learn to dodge, learn how to use your blocks, etc.

Also, when you play, watch the map. If you are a a numbers advantage, you will win the fight (things like the downed state auto Rez assure this) and if you are a numbers disadvantage, you will lose the fight.

If you can hold a point against 2 players for a minute you can call that a win, even though you died. If it takes you a minute to decap a point 1v1 maybe that isn’t a win even though the other guy died.

Basically, by watching the map, and knowing where the enemy is you can win all of your fights by essentially stacking the deck.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Struggling in pvp

in PvP

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

Damage and burst have been really high since release and the proff’s with mechanics that allow them to avoid damage all together (stealth/blinds/teleports) are always the hardest to deal with and , for some reason, also tend to have the highest burst lol.
Proffs that cant drop target/reset need to often play more defensively (some proffs just seem to have been designed with pvp in mind, others not so much).
In which case, since you’re just starting to pvp, I would go tanky; think mm necro , shout/regen warrior, regen ranger. Once you get comfortable with class mechanics and gameplay generally, you can start to go more glassy.
The thing with ele’s is that while good, they drop to focus fire and guardians have 1 good build/role as bunker and 1 good duelist build as super glassy.
When you’re not getting insta ganked you can actually start to learn other proff’s animations, abilitites and attack patterns.

(edited by dylan.5409)