Suggestion: Favorite builds button

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

cant you make it like intothemists.com? and just use this codesystem they allrdy have?

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

The way Wvwvw/PvE template exploits/abuse can be handled is quite easily ;
The template system (gear side) could be tied to the banking system.
1. Eliminates the need to carry 6 sets of gear
2. Eliminates any and all possible abuse.
3. Sells Bank slots.

PvP Templates don’t need gearswaps; therefore do not need to be tied to a bank…

Then You could implement your Dressup-Endgame-templates as a secondary wardrobe system..

Also yes; I would like this feature right now, I would have liked it at launch ;P

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

(edited by Darnis.4056)

in PvP

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Lots of good feedback here:

• Templates should be flexible on what they contain. Everyone wants something a little different from this feature.
  • Template switching can be abused in WvW, between dungeon bosses, etc.
  • Tiered release approach (I feel this feedback is because people want this feature RIGHT MEOW)
  • UI suggestions are pretty diverse. There are a lot of ways it could be handled, and it touches a LOT of systems in the game.
  • Fear of inspect / gear-checking by others.
  • Using real items is more of a ‘load-out’ than a ‘template’. Possibly different systems.

well, of course people want it “RIGHT MEOW”, as you say. it’s a feature that even at its most basic level (utilities + traits) would solve so many problems, and boost the quality of life so much. suddenly i can try out a new build that’s totally different than my current, and if i don’t like it, i can revert it in the press of a single button.

i really think you’re overthinking the situation. no offense, i appreciate you wanting to give the very very best, but, to invoke the holy name of GW1, just having the skills/stats (akin to weapon/utility/traits in GW2) was more than enough for most people. armor templates was a separate entity, with a separate chat code, a separate function, and wasn’t even usable in PvE because it wouldn’t make sense. in GW2’s case it’s the same, except now even PvP doesn’t require much in terms of armor templates.

if you can deliver a template that’s essentially a save/load button of the current PvP build system, i’d be hard pressed to find someone that would complain and ask for more.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in PvP

Posted by: Majuub.6215

Majuub.6215

We just need a template to load our Traits.

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

• Tiered release approach (I feel this feedback is because people want this feature RIGHT MEOW)
  • Using real items is more of a ‘load-out’ than a ‘template’. Possibly different systems.

This. Sigils, runes and traits first prrr

Also you missed off

• We want more Evans at Arenanet.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: rsq.3581

rsq.3581

A little late to this party, but how difficult would it be to implement a tool similar to http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ ? Simple but with all of the necessary information — and with pvp/wvw/pve formats.

It seems to me that is the simplest build template with all of the information necessary. A lot of the other things mentioned work better as separate and individual systems.

While I’m of the “RIGHT MEOW” camp, as we have been asking for this feature since launch, I also recognize the need to do the feature well and not half-heartedly. That being said, I think simplicity is the best course of action. No need to overcomplicate what should be an easy, quick, and user-friendly tool.

Salphir | Salfir | Falana
jo0 Binder

in PvP

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

…snip

I would not go so far as to call it a fear, more like a way to avoid harassment. I’m all for sharing my build/template whatever, but only if I am asked first. What I believe we would all like to avoid is being told by complete strangers (trolls) our build sucks kitten and we should use this or that instead. IMO this would make for a much friendlier game environment.

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Fear of inspect / gear-checking by others.
Linking your build if asked is sufficient, the feature is unnecessary.

I can already tell half the time what a person is running by what they have/dont have.
This ALREADY happends, When I see a mesmer running two swords or some troll phantasm signet 3mantras kitten I will tell them to stop being a troll kitten.

I’ll keep doing it too, because some people actually listen, Oh so by running tank mesmer I’m hurting my team?.. Thanks Ill switch to something else.

My autism will intensify to a breaking point if this feature is added to soloque, I don’t believe I am alone in this either, Knowing that people run troll kitten in soloque is not the same as Knowing indefinitely at all times that your team is full of failkittens…

I feel The good (knowing your guardian is DPS and that your mesmer is a bunker)
is far outweighed by the Bad; Verbal abuse, elitism, information overload and endless rage that will be spawned by this “feature”.

This is going to be like seeing the ranks of your team pre-game.

TL;DR Bad feature, Rage Levels over 9000, Unnecessary, Linking does the job better, Consequences will never be the same.

in PvP

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

Absolutely NO gear-checking by others please as it causes elitist attitude an issue in game even more of a problem in chat. Remember from GW1? All the spam chat you must have this and this build before we doing X. People would wait for hours and hours before getting a full group together before doing X. No Thank You…………

As long we can link & save them like we did in gw1 that is a must have for me at least.

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

in PvP

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

• Templates should be flexible on what they contain. Everyone wants something a little different from this feature.

Might as well add as much as possible to appeal to everyone.

People already solo dungeon paths by swapping traits, this won’t change anything.

YES, get on with it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YmS_VDvMY

Did GW1 speed clears suffer because of templates? Nope. GW2 won’t either. Gear is an essential part of GW2, keep it in the template. If people fear showing others their stuff, they probably aren’t wanted in that group and want others to carry them. The people who gear check will still gear check, the people who don’t still won’t.

in PvP

Posted by: twoscoops.6913

twoscoops.6913

If people fear showing others their stuff, they probably aren’t wanted in that group and want others to carry them. The people who gear check will still gear check, the people who don’t still won’t.

So well said.

in PvP

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I played GW1 since the public beta and really enjoyed the UW Speed Clear scene for the first couple years when that was a thing.

The thing was, you had to run a specific build and you had to ping your build and if you had a strange build that you “made up yourself, but I’m sure it will work guys” you didn’t get in to a group. As much as that was necessary at the time due to the cost of a run and the extreme ease of making a minor mistake that resulted in the ejection of everyone, I don’t think that would be great for GW2.

When Fractals started to take off, higher level fractal runners would immediately make you ping your ascended gear. As more people acquired AR and learned the fractals, we saw less of this.

The reason we don’t see a lot of it is because there is no way to sure that the item someone is pinging is an item they own. We’ve all seen someone ping 5 Twilights or something else equally silly because while you could have made 5 Twilights, it’s more likely that you pasted the chat code 5 times.

First: I think it’s an important design decision to decide whether to main this same level of ambiguity when sharing your build: “Here is a build, I may be running it, I may be not – but you can’t be certain”

Maintaining that ambiguity will discourage but not prevent gear/build checks. The fact that we’re not locked into a build at any time outside of PvP means that builds can always change when you’re out of combat so it can’t be used as a proxy for competence.

Second: I think I would like to see a template slot system implemented first since that is probably a relatively simple implementation. Give us 2-3 slots that we can use to define a trait build and a way to swap them and visually see which one we’re using while we’re playing. That, in my opinion, would solve about 65% of the problem since most people probably use just a few builds that they switch between. The sharing and saving and cataloging features are all nice, but I think those should be a second phase.

Third: I think you need to work on the Hero UI. I don’t think it should ever default to wardrobe since that is going to be the least used section. When I open that hero panel, most of the time, I’m probably wanting to swap a weapon or other piece of gear, not transmute something.

Fourth: I think you need to distinguish between in combat weapon swapping and convenient weapon grouping. Elementalists have long asked for a second weapon group that could be switched only when out of combat. Really, all classes need something like this.

You could either create reserve weapon slots that can be quickly switched into the active space when out of combat (perhaps with a channeling timer or a cool down)

You could also just enable better filters on the gear selection screen. Give me some radio buttons so I can display only Exotic and Ascended gear and/or a filter for Soulbound and Account Bound items. There is no reason I should see 8 green/blue items when I right click a weapon slot when almost all of my weapons are Ascended save for a couple exotics.

Fourth and a half: I should first see a simple, easily recognizable icon telling me what kind of weapon I can select, followed by the description. It gets silly when all of your weapons start with the same prefix. Let me see a Pink Great Sword Icon and a Pink Staff Icon and then include the text after that. Most distinguishing information first please.

Fifth: I’m sure you thought of this already but make sure that when you do implement your sharing and saving system that you include room in the data structures for expansion.

Thanks,

(edited by Dreamslayer.7659)

in PvP

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

I really like pvp-style sigil/rune “unlocks” That’d be nice. But, with just using current in-game items, why not make “Bundles”/“Boxes”?

Bundle can contain any item that you currently own (so one item can be dropped into many bundles, as long as you own it) and traits. So there would be several types of bundles:
- Traits bundle (trait configuration only)
- Equipment bundle (set of any equipment in ‘equippable’ configuration)
- Trinkets bundle (all amulets/rings)
- Armor bundle (armor/back-item)
- Comsetic bundle (colors/outfit)
- Build bundle — any set of above bundles (one or none of each kind).

So for those who just want to have different traits and don’t swap anything else they can set up traits bundle alone. If someone has a set of armor that comes with particular traits (i.e. ‘my tanky mode’) they would have a build bundle — trait set and armor bundle. And for full set you’d have a build bundle that has everything in it Would look like a little box and can be carried around in regular inventory, with ability to pick an icon when bundle is created (my only question is — do we want to require bundle equipment to be in immediate storage or is it okay to pull things out of personal bank too, so I only carry ‘tanky bundle’ while my PVT armor is in the bank or do I carry it and bundle is essentially a shortcut)

For sharing purposes bundle string/code is probably fine (as with items today, I see people ping the whole armor sets etc).

As this would be an item, it might have a “cooldown” of sorts (or limit of not using more than 2 within 5 minutes etc)

in PvP

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

• UI suggestions are pretty diverse. There are a lot of ways it could be handled, and it touches a LOT of systems in the game.

Template switching in PvE shouldn’t be an issue because it would ease both the casual players from having to remember exactly which traits to switch to to help with certain bosses, and will let the players who do speedruns spend less time switching their builds.
WvW it may benefit builds who can disengage from a fight more than those with less movement, but if anything, those classes can already do that. This change would just allow the fight to resume quicker.

A simple all purpose Trait template does seem a much more reasonable goal to work on first, as that could be used across all game modes.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

in PvP

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Regarding gear check: The ability to do a gear check before starting a dungeon and kicking non-conforming players is certainly not desired.

But consider this: a new player, 100 account points, joins our guild. After some time, he tells: “I die so often and do no damage – what am I doing wrong?”

Currently, we ask: “how did you set your traits? How’s your gear looking?” And a long and tedious research follows, and we answer something like: “…and look for berserker equipment, this is equipment with that certain attribute distribution…”

With the template system, the question could be: “please ping your current build”, and we are able to comment on the build. And we can answer with a modified build or a pre-made build, so the new player has something he can start with.
This is some kind of gear check as well, but a productive and desired one – it helps veterans helping new players, and it helps new players to get better.

in PvP

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Things that must be in a template:

• Weapons
  • Sigils
  • Rune
  • Amulet
  • Skills
  • Traits

These are the essentials that people are asking. Anything else are bonuses. By having more skills and traits [even fixing some of the broken ones]. These open up new builds. This correlates to the devs vision of ‘diverse’ builds within the game. As for weapons, if you are introducing new “legendary” weapons, make these relevant to the game world ie LS / PS. And make them hard to obtain and not trade-able on the TP. If people are finding it hard to obtain these new legendary weapons, they can always fall back on to the current ones, by increasing the precursor drop rate.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

in PvP

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

For PvP, I feel all the info that you can change in the “PvP Build” UI, should be put in the template (weapons, sigils, rune, amulet, traits, skills…). Any weapon used in a build that you load, should be created in the character’s inventory as a standard common model that is soulbound and unsellable.

For PvE, however, I don’t think sigils, runes, weapons, armor, skills are needed to be set in the template. In gw, skills had to be put into the template because there were so many of them, and the time consuming part of a build wasn’t the attributes, but the skill selection. In gw2 people won’t go to the template UI to change one or two utility skills, and people won’t load a template to switch their weapon or armor in between fractal levels or dungeon bosses. It’s traits that take the most time to reorganize.

Imho, you can put a load/save template button in the traits section of the UI and be done with it. For PvP, you already have a “PvP Build” UI where you can put your template button.

Now, for appearance, in the wardrobe, I would also love some sort of save/load mechanic for skins/dyes. I occasionally find myself, like many other I assume, tinkering around with different skins and different dye combinations, when I’m feeling bored. If we could save/load these skin/dye combos, that would be awesome. This would then be implemented in the wardrobe section of the bank, where we are able to preview all the skins, even the ones we haven’t unlocked yet. But this is more for fashionistas and people who play dressup in the wardrobe… I would really like it, but it’s not as important as build/trait templates.

The ability to ping your template is a double-edged sword. You can help friends/guildies or whoever with their build very easily by just a click of a button. But it will bring more gear/build-checks as well. Back in gw, I have seen people trying to help random pugs with bad/weird builds (just pointing to some key skills that they should bring and fill the rest how they want), and I have also seen people being kicked on the spot.

That’s my two cents I guess. I’m just happy I’ll be able to have any templates at all in the future. It was one of the best things that were introduced into gw, and I really miss it in gw2.

in PvP

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

Is it possible to create separate templates for separate aspects of a build (traits, skills, weapons, etc) and each template is a combination of however many of these? I see a big issue being in the PvE/WvW category with skins for weapons and the change-ability of items used. Implement that stuff later (separately, even) and tack it on to the end of a template code.

All I really care for is the trait setup that I’m using. From there, I can decipher my weapons and armor fairly easily, and those are the easy bits, anyways. Once the rest has been developed, we can have it implemented without much hastle, I would assume. From what I’ve seen of templates, it’s a series of seemingly nonsensical characters that mean something to the system. What’s stopping us from just making the templates larger with more information? For now, include traits and skills. As we get the ability to code for armor and weapons, add that as well.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

If your asking the community to help the dev team with this problem then if I was anyone else, I might actually be worried.

They are not asking for help, but open for suggestions.
i.e. They don’t spend time on adding dyes to templates, if it’s something we don’t need.

I know hence why I typed " As it stands, not surprised that a anet HR asked this question.". Good job clarifying it so I don’t have to. ;P

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Template should be very similar to guild wars 1. Includes traits, includes, skills. Would act a little differently in guild wars since armor and weapons and runes/sigils would have to be added. A good thing in GW1 was that when you loaded a template and didn’t have the stuff available you would have holes in your bar where the missing skills were. The same thing should occur in GW2 the stuff that goes into the template should only be applied to the character if it is in your inventory or if you have access to the bank at that moment (ie bank tab it up) that would slightly hinder people from constantly swapping in dungeons/wvw because they have to carry that extra gear with them and won’t have extra loot slots.

Another option would be to only allow build switching at places you control in WvW?

Just a thought.

in PvP

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

A good thing in GW1 was that when you loaded a template and didn’t have the stuff available you would have holes in your bar where the missing skills were.

I think you could ping a build you didn’t own, it just showed up as a template and didn’t say it was yours. I can’t remember the exact way to tell the difference but I know people have tried to do that here too. Warriors for cof p1 SC would try and show items you couldn’t hover over, like they just wrote out the words in brackets…

Regarding gear check: The ability to do a gear check before starting a dungeon and kicking non-conforming players is certainly not desired.

Gear checking already exists and was used extensively for cof p1 SC. Templates help players organize gear/traits/skills. It does NOT create gear checking. People need to stop saying this. When Anet introduces trait checking and full skill checking, speed runners will have another way to check out potential partners(players could still change their setup…template checks were always to check for competency). I’ve said it before, the people who gear check will still check your gear, the people who don’t still won’t. Is there any real difference between a group asking for “zerk gear” and another group that doesn’t want rangers, necros or engis? One asks players to ping while the other sees your class immediately. Exclusion is exclusion and it’s not your business how others choose to play.

Regarding exclusion in groups: This will likely increase. Anet had previously buffed dungeons and they did it again. I was looking at coe and fotm groups recently and sometimes every listing includes “lfm 80 zerkers, experienced only”. Now I’ve not been asked to actually ping in most of these groups, many people assume the listing keeps noobs out and I think it does(although most newer players have no idea what coe is and can’t enter fotm 30+).

in PvP

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

• Weapons
  • Sigils
  • Rune
  • Amulet
  • Skills
  • Traits

Add (out of pvp)

• armor
  • Trinkets

What could be in a template:

• Skins
  • Dyes
  • Outfit
  • Finisher
    (or could be a side template, eg: one template for the build itself, another template for the look, and the possibility to save them as mega template)

Things to consider:

• Sharing (chat links? codes? urls?)
    Out of pvp sharing sounds like an inspect feature to me, which is not something I wish to see happen…
  • Viewing (seeing some else’s vs. seeing your own)
    I guess in PvP, it would be nice to view the “active” template. Saved templates, less so…
  • Saving (notepad vs. local vs. account vs. web)
    No opinion – the less demanding on performance / subject to abuses.
  • Building (one spot in UI vs. multiple spots)
    New tab in UI, PvP, added to the build UI, Other areas, added to the hero panel (new tab from the eqiupment, die, wardrobe part)
  • Websites (third-party sites should work with in-game)
    That would be nice, but it comes with build sharing / inspect feature
  • APIs (Could expose an API to third-parties)
  • PvP vs PvE vs WvW (each mode requires different configuration options)

How would you like to see any/all of these work?

How I see it work :
(in PvE/WvW – PvP seems easier to implement, since one does not really have to owe anything)

Build tab with 3 sections

• Mega build (association of build template and appearances elements)
  • Build (weapon / armor / trinkets / sigils / etc.)
  • Appearance (dies, outfit, appearances, skins, etc.)

The build could only be made with what is in inventory. There would be an added option “save build” and another one “update builds” (to write over existing saved build) in the hero / equipement panel
If the player calls a build and don’t have all the items in inventory, the build is charged with the available items, and an error message appears that states someting like “items are missing for this build. please go to the equipment panel to complete and update it. You can go to the build panel to see what’s missing” and the missing equipment would be in a red square (seeing the same when charging the build).

Just to give an Idea (warning, I’m bad with paint :p )

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

• Weapons
  • Sigils
  • Rune
  • Amulet
  • Skills
  • Traits

• Skins
  • Dyes
  • Outfit
  • Finisher

Things to consider:

• Saving (notepad vs. local vs. account vs. web) — Why would anything but account-wide persistence be desirable?

Another vote for talking with (hell, maybe hiring) these guys: http://en.gw2skills.net They’ve done most of this work for you.

My $0.02:
I think simply using their base64 encoded strings (or your own format) to represent the list of “must haves” and having a simple UI to label/save/swap builds would make 99% of players happy. Web APIs, sharing, importing, etc are all polish that we don’t really need right away. Push out the basic mechanism and then work on polish.

Just need a method to serialize/deserialize a build, save it with a label, and add a combo box to the Hero UI. Maybe add the ability to export/import the serialized representation via a string editor and push it out.

It’s been a long time coming, just get the basics implemented and add bells and whistles later.

Oh and BTW, and props to the PvP folks at ANet for actually talking to your community. If you could find a way to inspire the PvE teams (particularly dungeon teams, since they seem to be active again) to do the same you would win the adoration of an entire subforum ;-)

in PvP

Posted by: Jetres.7245

Jetres.7245

Things to be added in a short term release:

code templates for all the customizable content by priority order:
-Traits
-Armor
-Skills

then as soon as possible add codes for skins and inspect/preview player gear/skins button in same release.

This is a must for specially for gw2 who revolves around skins and appearances so much.

Clevo P170em Win10 x64 Insider | GTX 970M 6gb @1383/2815Mhz | Geforce 378.78

in PvP

Posted by: Aldorion.9741

Aldorion.9741

Hey there fellow Gw2 players!
Since I’ve read KehxD’s post I was inspired to pick up his ideas and photoshop a proper GUI-Element after his ideas and some additions which i really missed. (Like the Attributes window, which is a must for me while creating builds)

(Picture 1)Since the BBCode for pictures doesn’t work, I post a link to my first picture.

• At the moment the selected tab is the “Default” build. If this one is selected you are using your current setup from the “Traits and Skills” and the “Equipment” page.
  • On the right side of the build-selection tab you see a “Delete” button. It’s greyed out because you have the “Default”-tab selected, which can’t be deleted because you need it if you want to use the old “Equipment” and “Traits and Skills” window.
  • In the upper right corner you see a Textarea, where you can enter and therefore change a build’s name (Except the default one).

If you want to see all the traits and not just the Adept|Master|Grandmaster ones, you can switch to the “Traits”-tab (on the left side, below the dropdown menu). It looks just like the “Traits”-window you are used to, and if you change it it will apply to the “Stat-Overview”-tab. (Also if you want to reset them you can do it there)
Here you can see it.

(Picture 2)So lets create another build!

• You can simply click on the dropdown menu in the upper left corner and select “New build”
  • Afterwards it will ask you to enter a name for the new build. In this case I will call it “High Crit Chance”. Let’s press “Accept” and continue.

(Picture3)Here we see how the dropdown looks now.

• We now click the new “High Crit Chance”-tab to select and modify it.

(Picture 4)It should look like this now.

• You now have an empty build you can fill in by either clicking “Paste Setup to Build-Menu” in the Equipment and Trait page of your Hero-Panel or by filling in everything in yourself.
  • The build’s name can be modified in the upper right coner.
  • Also you might notice that every Armorpiece and the Skills have a checkbox. This checkbox determines if this armorpiece/skill will be changed if I apply this build.
    Example: Lets say I want to use my Ascended Backpiece in all of my builds, i equip it in the default Armor-Tab and just leave it unchecked in my build-menu.
  • This also applies vice versa for empty slots. If you check an empty slot and activate this build you will not wear any piece of armor in this slot. This can be helpful if you want to have a special slot empty, for example if you dont want to wear some Townclothing-alike armor.
  • Also whole sections can be deselected this way, by unchecking the box next to the section name.
    Example: You want to keep your armor but just want to change the Traits. Then you only check the box next to “Traits” and leave the others unchecked. When you then apply this special build, only the Traits change and the armor, and the skills stay the default ones.
  • Below/Above every armor piece you can see it’s prefix to make it easier to recognize your setuo without having to hover over every single piece.

(Picture 5) Let’s now delete the build since we don’t need it anymore.

• You need to put in your build-name so you don’t delete it accidently and press “Yes” afterwards to accept.

More important Information:

• Items you put into the Equipment slots or Trinket slots will remain in your Inventory while it’s not selected or not yet saved. (so you always wear the current armor, and the rest is in the inventory)
  • The save button on the bottom will save your current overall-setup, so you can reselect it or post it into the chat using the “Link to Chat”-Button on the right.
  • On the right side, you see the updated Attributes, influenced by your Traits and the Equipment, to make it easier to see the stat’s impacts.

I didn’t mention the 2nd Tab. But its simply the default Equipment-Tab so you can use the wardrobe and the dyes. Just like the Trait window.
Thanks for reading, and if you have questions I will edit the answers into my post.

TL;DR : Quick Overview in the attached picture.

Attachments:

(edited by Aldorion.9741)

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Start small, man. Basic template it still better than no template.

Why not discuss the best possible system? Scheduling and phasing feature releases is our deal :P Plus, there’s no way we can avoid remaking the entire feature later unless we are good about scoping all possibilities.

You PvP guys really are in no position to have that mindset.

in PvP

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

What i really need is – weapon swap. As a berserk mesmer i use offhand pistol for PvP and focus for traveling. I really really need fast weapon swap, because my usual gameplay looks like this http://youtu.be/yLkxctdXpD0

GW1 has a good feature
http://i.gyazo.com/33e9a3019b987302514da0bf6ef5d82e.png

I want something like it.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

We absolutely want to make build templates. They could work similar to GW1, but there are more components to a build now. Using the old string-code method may prove to be unwieldy.

• Weapons
  • Sigils
  • Rune
  • Amulet
  • Skills
  • Traits

• Skins
  • Dyes
  • Outfit
  • Finisher

Things to consider:

Great idea. We need it !!!My remarks / concerns.
Must be part is sufficient.
But how to manage weapon switch when they are no more in inventory ? Put a fictive one with default skin ?

Template sharing is nice also but not mandatory. Coumd be managed on second priority level.

(edited by Kicast.1459)

in PvP

Posted by: Intuneric.7652

Intuneric.7652

Template switching can be abused … between dungeon bosses, etc.

Respecing already is abused between bosses.. everytime a boss is dead i’m already respecing for the next one just because… i can. You guys went overboard with this, shouldnt have allow it inside dungeons.. there’s no planning anymore, just enter inside and yolo the content

(edited by Intuneric.7652)

in PvP

Posted by: TheAngryDuckling.5481

TheAngryDuckling.5481

We absolutely want to make build templates. They could work similar to GW1, but there are more components to a build now. Using the old string-code method may prove to be unwieldy.

• Weapons
  • Sigils
  • Rune
  • Amulet
  • Skills
  • Traits

• Skins
  • Dyes
  • Outfit
  • Finisher

Things to consider:

I would like to see the build templates include the gear and traits and have it working all three game modes. It would be great if it would work alot like it did in gw1 where there was a tab that clicked down with all you builds and thier names, and you could ping it to other players in the game or post the save file for it in forums to share with others.

in PvP

Posted by: Killer Rhino.6794

Killer Rhino.6794

I would love to see an API for build templates. That would be incredibly interesting. It would give the PvP community a lot to discuss and theory craft over.

Creator of GW2Kit

in PvP

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

• Weapons
  • Sigils
  • Rune
  • Amulet
  • Skills
  • Traits

• Skins
  • Dyes
  • Outfit
  • Finisher

Things to consider:

Skins, dyes, outfits, finishers I don’ think they are necessary because they don’t have anything to do with builds.
Although importing builds from websites, and easily sending templates ingame are a must have, these are really important.

Other than that, some options could be tied to the build like autotargeting and and fast-cast AoE targeting, or even some key binding changes. However, these options should be made character-bound first. These options could be decided whether you want to load it from the template or not. And these are not obligated to be in the template either.

Auto build-loading would be pretty cool, for example you could set a specific build for each dungeon/fractals/wvw/etc. and when you enter the map it asks you wheter you want to change to the build associated with that content. You would just have to click yes or no and you are done.

(edited by Kicker.8203)

in PvP

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

I don’t think it would be abuse, it would just result in a more interesting and less faceroll gameplay. You can already switch all of these outside of combat, only with the templates it would be easier, there are people who go everywhere with the same build, if it would be less effort many people would change more often which is a good thing

(edited by Kicker.8203)

in PvP

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Well I don’t have enough time to think about how to share the thing and the problem of stats only or weapon/armor specific.
However, something very important : we should have separate entities.
Indeed, 1 panel for pure template (traits only I mean), either 1 panel for armors/runes/sigils/weapons/amulets all in one, or 1 panel for weapons/sigils and 1 panel for armors/runes/amulets.
And, of course, 1 big panel which contains everything.
The basic idea is to give players the choice between micro management (switch a few weapons or a few armor pieces or a few traits) and macro management (switching everything, like to go from WvW to PvE for instance, needing to switch weapons AND armor pieces AND amulets AND traits … ) with the same tool.
Ideal would be for weapons/armor to be able to save quick slots and add icons to quick swap onto the UI a la Outfitter (WoW addon) see this screen : http://media-curse.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/797/a451e83d2dc60254c6f4096b439ba117.png
For traits, I don’t really care.
But please, do separate all this and make real use of the UI to give us real efficient tools that are both convenient and fast

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

In my opinion the real problem of templates is only for pvp. In wvw you have “time” to change your build and in pve usually u can finish all the contents with quite every build. For pvp instead when you log in solo queue, for exampe, you have 1 minute and 40 second or less to change your build choosing the one better for the team you have. So you can have to change from bunker to dps and so on. For this now many players use different characters and switch char …

in PvP

Posted by: Dany Little Star.2837

Dany Little Star.2837

In my honest opinion, the BUILD TEMPLATEis just a PvP problem, because sometimes you need to switch build in 1 minute or less.

Talking as developer who I am, develop a solution is really simple: we already have a PvP build pannel with 2 subpanel(traits and equip). We just need to add another one subpanel called “HEALING AND UTILITY SKILLS” where a player can choose their healing, utility and elite skills.
At this situation we have an object well defined that explain the 90% of player’s build: traits, runes, amulet and utility skills.

To finish the work we just need to create a system that can save all this objects: maybe and array of array could work great.

PvP Builds List
[[Build 1], [Build 2], [Build 3]…]

Every build have a structure like this:
[[Traits], [Runes & Amulets], [healing, utility and elite skills]]

The finale result is:
- A player have a set of builds: each of these have saved traits, runes and utility skills;
- The only manual thing required is to equip the weapons you want to use with that build (so the build template don’t depende on personal inventory).

This system don’t have dependencies with the invetory of a player and could work easily for the PvP aspect of the game, the real part that need BUILDS TEMPLATE.

ps: sorry for bad english.

in PvP

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I LOVE the idea of templates!

They should be shareable via in-chat link. This way you could show people what you’re running and offer advice. I think when someone clicks the shared template link, it should appear in a separate window (similar to the armor preview window). Maybe even have a button that (if the same profession) when clicked auto-resets your traits and utilities to reflect the shared template.

Conversely, they should not be able to be seen without sharing the link. I don’t think anyone wants to put the effort into designing a killer build, only to have it poached by anyone that pleases.

The templates themselves should save not only traits, but any gear (armor, weapons, trinkets) that is equipped. If those items are in your inventory when the template is activated, it automatically equips those items into the proper slots, as well as sets the traits and utilities. Any items saved as part of the template that are not in your inventory are simply not equipped (obviously) and whatever was equipped remains. In other words, you save a template with full Zerk gear (armor, weapons, trinkets) but you’ve since salvaged your zerker weapons and are now using assassin weapons. When that template is loaded, everything is equipped as it should but, since those zerker weps are no longer in inventory, the currently equipped assassin weps remain equipped. Yea, hope that made sense…

In addition to promoting more build experimentation and adjustment on-the-fly, template may cause people to carry more extra sets of gear with them. This means more bag space taken up. I suggest either giving every character 1 free extra bag slot or creating a new “bag” that can only hold gear attributed to a saved template that is carried in addition to the normal inventory bags.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in PvP

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

I’m against viewing others builds. There is enough raging when someone does not play as someone else wants, just can’t imagine what could happen if somebody is having a non-conventional build.

in PvP

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

/edit

DO WANT!

Cosmetic stuff in the builds would be great but I see those as optional compared to the actual functionality (though it would be neat).

Under the things to consider, I think the difference configuration options is very important. PvP/PvE/WvW builds would all be different. Share with a build code like GW1 would be really useful too.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

in PvP

Posted by: Vired swordhammer.9134

Vired swordhammer.9134

• Weapons
  • Sigils
  • Rune
  • Amulet
  • Skills
  • Traits

• Skins
  • Dyes
  • Outfit
  • Finisher

Things to consider:

so I made a post a while ago for templates to be added to both pve/pvp and I wrote how I feel it can be done for both if you can please read it I also posted picture of how it would look in pve since in pvp how you have to make a build is kind of great to make a build in for templates just need to add a save button and maybe a tag that shows by default for pvp builds that looks like [PVP] in front of the name but I talk about this is the post https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Add-a-GW1-Template-System-in-GW2/first#post3993921 if you can look at it great would save me time from copy/pasting it here

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Aoshi.7509

Lord Aoshi.7509

I think breaking into smaller template codes would be better,

1 total overview which is pretty much just a “preview list” you could send other players , essentially

“just entered a fractal with you, here’s what i got” template so they could see exactly what their teamates are bringing to the party, and then compensate and collaborate accordingly.

2. quick trait templates.-
for example, in Arrah, if you have a particular trait setup you swap to for lupi, get out of combat, 1 click to switch to your preset lupi traits. Weapon swapping should probably still be manual because there are ALOT of variables to have in there.

the prior of these is already sometimes done via http://en.gw2skills.net/editor
but to have quick trait templates wouldn’t be too hard ( i mean there are only 60 or so per class x6 classes we’re not talking about LUDICRUS numbers)

since your primary bar is dictated by weapon you could pretty reasonably just through in traits and your utility skills and be good to go.

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Can we get a timeline? what’s up with this feature?
Is it gonna come this year? next year? Is active work being done on this and we’ll get it eventually? Is it never coming because it competes with Anet’s Character slot sales?

(edited by Darnis.4056)

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

This would be really nice to have.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Seifer Thalaen.7869

Seifer Thalaen.7869

Can we get a timeline? what’s up with this feature?
Is it gonna come this year? next year? Is active work being done on this and we’ll get it eventually? Is it never coming because it competes with Anet’s Character slot sales?

Here’s your timeline.

2014 ______ -when it’s ready- _ 2015

in PvP

Posted by: AndRec.3496

AndRec.3496

i haven’t read all the posts, want just to say:
this is the pvp sub forum, but, please if you ever make this feature make it for all game mode where can be more usefull, like to switch from pve to wvw, where the build need to be completely different! danke!
want to add: pls make it non sharable, all we will see every single one with the same build, ‘cause here people are a bit weird, if you don’t have the build THEY want they’’ll kick you and if not that will blame you all day long :P

(edited by AndRec.3496)

in PvP

Posted by: AndRec.3496

AndRec.3496

Hey there fellow Gw2 players!
Since I’ve read KehxD’s post I was inspired to pick up his ideas and photoshop a proper GUI-Element after his ideas and some additions which i really missed. (Like the Attributes window, which is a must for me while creating builds)

(Picture 1)Since the BBCode for pictures doesn’t work, I post a link to my first picture.

• At the moment the selected tab is the “Default” build. If this one is selected you are using your current setup from the “Traits and Skills” and the “Equipment” page.
  • On the right side of the build-selection tab you see a “Delete” button. It’s greyed out because you have the “Default”-tab selected, which can’t be deleted because you need it if you want to use the old “Equipment” and “Traits and Skills” window.
  • In the upper right corner you see a Textarea, where you can enter and therefore change a build’s name (Except the default one).

If you want to see all the traits and not just the Adept|Master|Grandmaster ones, you can switch to the “Traits”-tab (on the left side, below the dropdown menu). It looks just like the “Traits”-window you are used to, and if you change it it will apply to the “Stat-Overview”-tab. (Also if you want to reset them you can do it there)
Here you can see it.

(Picture 2)So lets create another build!

• You can simply click on the dropdown menu in the upper left corner and select “New build”
  • Afterwards it will ask you to enter a name for the new build. In this case I will call it “High Crit Chance”. Let’s press “Accept” and continue.

(Picture3)Here we see how the dropdown looks now.

• We now click the new “High Crit Chance”-tab to select and modify it.

(Picture 4)It should look like this now.

• You now have an empty build you can fill in by either clicking “Paste Setup to Build-Menu” in the Equipment and Trait page of your Hero-Panel or by filling in everything in yourself.
  • The build’s name can be modified in the upper right coner.
  • Also you might notice that every Armorpiece and the Skills have a checkbox. This checkbox determines if this armorpiece/skill will be changed if I apply this build.
    Example: Lets say I want to use my Ascended Backpiece in all of my builds, i equip it in the default Armor-Tab and just leave it unchecked in my build-menu.
  • This also applies vice versa for empty slots. If you check an empty slot and activate this build you will not wear any piece of armor in this slot. This can be helpful if you want to have a special slot empty, for example if you dont want to wear some Townclothing-alike armor.
  • Also whole sections can be deselected this way, by unchecking the box next to the section name.
    Example: You want to keep your armor but just want to change the Traits. Then you only check the box next to “Traits” and leave the others unchecked. When you then apply this special build, only the Traits change and the armor, and the skills stay the default ones.
  • Below/Above every armor piece you can see it’s prefix to make it easier to recognize your setuo without having to hover over every single piece.

(Picture 5) Let’s now delete the build since we don’t need it anymore.

• You need to put in your build-name so you don’t delete it accidently and press “Yes” afterwards to accept.

More important Information:

• Items you put into the Equipment slots or Trinket slots will remain in your Inventory while it’s not selected or not yet saved. (so you always wear the current armor, and the rest is in the inventory)
  • The save button on the bottom will save your current overall-setup, so you can reselect it or post it into the chat using the “Link to Chat”-Button on the right.
  • On the right side, you see the updated Attributes, influenced by your Traits and the Equipment, to make it easier to see the stat’s impacts.

I didn’t mention the 2nd Tab. But its simply the default Equipment-Tab so you can use the wardrobe and the dyes. Just like the Trait window.
Thanks for reading, and if you have questions I will edit the answers into my post.

TL;DR : Quick Overview in the attached picture.

nice!! not even hard to do for them , they have the code of the pvp builder already!

in PvP

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Alternative ideas, just to add to the discussion.

Anything which offers a more streamlined and flexible pve/wvw gear system would be welcome.

in PvP

Posted by: Metemer.6382

Metemer.6382

I haven’t read the entire thread, but I wanna ask, are the devs considering WvW? Because if so, thieves are going to uhm how do I put this kill everything. You must put a limitation to swapping trait sets, which should be there even for swapping traits and equipment, such as, you must wait at least 2 minutes AFTER getting out of combat.

-Thief attacks your Warrior with s/d 20066, fails, gets INSTANTLY out of combat with Shadowstep, returns with s/p 50036 within FIVE seconds and kills you. Imagine this, except for every possible situation.

Roaming will no longer be actual fighting and trying to make a build that’s okay for every possible foe, but instead roaming with a build that’s the best at getting out of combat, then switching to a build that hardcounters that foe and gg. Will be so much fun! Another aspect of the game ruined! =)

in PvP

Darnis.4056

I haven’t read the entire thread, but I wanna ask, are the devs considering WvW? Because if so, thieves are going to uhm how do I put this kill everything. You must put a limitation to swapping trait sets, which should be there even for swapping traits and equipment, such as, you must wait at least 2 minutes AFTER getting out of combat.

-Thief attacks your Warrior with s/d 20066, fails, gets INSTANTLY out of combat with Shadowstep, returns with s/p 50036 within FIVE seconds and kills you. Imagine this, except for every possible situation.

Roaming will no longer be actual fighting and trying to make a build that’s okay for every possible foe, but instead roaming with a build that’s the best at getting out of combat, then switching to a build that hardcounters that foe and gg. Will be so much fun! Another aspect of the game ruined! =)

I kinda Feel like when they removed the ability to change your build from PVP they dumbed down the game.. Being able to disengage and change your build adds a lot of skillcap.

Just switch amulet or a single Utility and you can actually mitigate a hardcounter, Maybe the other roamer should also switch his build to one which gives him an advantage over his opponent.

in PvP

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

we dont need sharing , finishers,outfits just give us possibility to switch builds between pve,www (traits+whole armor set+skills) and that`s it we don`t need more .