(Suggestion) PvP - Duels [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: Apophis.2498

Apophis.2498

What’s wrong with custom arenas?

Whenever my guildmates or the wife want to test out new builds, we try them out there 1v1. No interruptions.

in PvP

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

There are as many people against dueling as for it. For the OP it’s a feature. There are reasons some of us don’t like dueling, but it’s been rehashed so many times already why bother?

I’m just having a hard time understanding your point of view, this feature would only affect those interested in it positively while not affecting the rest whatsoever. It’s such a selfish mentality coming from a self-proclaimed nice community, “I don’t want it so we can’t have it”.

It’s just as selfish to demand it (as has been done in many shutdown, locked threads) without considering what it would do to the community. Turning a blind eye to the increase in trolling doesn’t mean it wouldn’t happen.

A long, long while ago, a dev said (I’m sure someone could find the actual video) that he’d like to get dueling in there, but it’s not practical at the moment. It probably never will be practical.

In the meantime, there are private PvP duel areas set up where people can gather and, funnily enough, duel. It doesn’t have to be open world. Dueling would be just fine in Heart of the Mists, since people lounge about there anyway.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I also don´t need open world duels. When i can do a training duel within my guild i am happy.

in PvP

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

It’s just as selfish to demand it (as has been done in many shutdown, locked threads) without considering what it would do to the community. Turning a blind eye to the increase in trolling doesn’t mean it wouldn’t happen.

A long, long while ago, a dev said (I’m sure someone could find the actual video) that he’d like to get dueling in there, but it’s not practical at the moment. It probably never will be practical.

In the meantime, there are private PvP duel areas set up where people can gather and, funnily enough, duel. It doesn’t have to be open world. Dueling would be just fine in Heart of the Mists, since people lounge about there anyway.

It wont do anything to the community, this keeps being an ignorant statement.

This is a typical case of “I’ve got no use for it, so we can’t have it, even though it wouldn’t affect me in any way”, childish, even. I’m done arguing, you guys have already made up your mind.

(edited by Daharahj.1325)

in PvP

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I don’t think ArenaNet recognizes the importance of this feature.

I find it funny that you think a whole development team / company are unaware of “the importance” of dueling. I would bet they chose not to have dueling on purpose.

Personally, I don’t believe there is any importance to having dueling at all. It may be something you want, but it certainly isn’t something I think is important. I don’t want to wander around the open world watching people fighting each other. I’ll play PvP if I want that.

in PvP

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

What are you talking about? Guild halls ALLOW both duels, guild fights, and more.

If you wan to “Open-world” duel with someone (Unfair, due to food/armor diference, but whatever), you can just invite him to your guild hall, set your own rules and duel into the arena. This is the best thing they couldn’t potentitally do, and seens to be ignored by most part of the comunity atm.

in PvP

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

Please add dueling! Only in combat zones is fine, ie. no lions arch or divReach, whatever. Anyone who thinks the community will be negatively affected obviously doesn’t read current map chat.

in PvP

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

Dueling creates a terrible community, how did you come to this conclusion? The reason this community is friendly is because the game promotes and rewards team play, dueling or the lack thereof has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I’m not new to the game, but that’s hardly relevant to this discussion.

I already explained why trying to get learn pvp in a tvt environment is a terrible idea, it’s overwhelming, and outright offputting to new players, they need to take in too much information at once, they don’t know why they’re dying or where the damage is coming from, because they simply don’t know what other classes do due to lack experience. So they have a bad time and never return, or simply wait until they have to whole game figured out before jumping into TvT due to their insecurity.

Then again, just like you enjoy a pvp-free game, some of us would really enjoy the ability to duel eachother outside of hotm because it’s fun to us, and implementing this system with the option to auto-decline is the best of both worlds.

I get that you think it teaches pvp skills, that it builds community, and would be super easy to implement, but you also have no proof to back you up.

1. I have years of empirical observation from WoW, that dueling doesn’t teach pvp skills at all. Most of the duelers I’ve known, spend their time in Stormwind, Ironforge, or Orgrimar challenging every passerby to a duel. After they couldn’t duel in cities, they just moved right outside the gates. They didn’t do this between running battlegrounds or arenas, this was how they enjoyed the game. Usually by badgering people incessantly about dueling them, and calling them all sorts of nasty things when refused. This teaches nothing but bad behavior.

2. I also have years of empirical observation that dueling exists in some of the most caustic communities. It may not be the cause, but it most certainly isn’t a solution. Not all duelers are monomaniacal obnoxious twits, but enough of them are, that all duelers get tarred by that brush. The obnoxious ones are rude, crude, and persistent to the point of bullying. They flood the public channels and whispers with requests for duels and questions about why you won’t fight them. The only answer they will accept is ok I’ll fight you. Then it’s still not over. If they win, they start gloating about how they stomped the butt of someone 10 levels lower than them, and how you should duel them again, “so yu can get gud, lol.” If you stomp them into the ground, they complain about how your class/spec/race/gear/personal philosophy is OP and then immediately challenge you do a rematch. This does nothing to promote community, in any way.

3. If you leave it up to the “dueling community” where to duel, they will naturally go to the place that has the most potential marks, I mean opponents. That means wherever the densest population is at any given time. Based on my travels in game, that means the pvp lobby, Lion’s Arch, Divinities Reach(outside the bank & BLTP), Rata Sum(around the Accountancy WP), The Black Citadel(around the trade area), and The Grove(also around the trade/bank area). All of these areas are already resource intensive, because of their high population density. Add in duelers, and you’re talking about lag city. Which is another point for #2, since people will intentionally try to crash a server by getting enough duels going to lag the system into submission. Adding a new feature that works across the entire open world, in all situations, and doesn’t affect server stability is hard. Especially something that adds a significant amount to the server/client response loop. Look at any MMO that has added any client-wide feature, ever. It either involves months of coding, testing, recoding, retesting, etc., or it releases broken and breaks other things. Or both.

I get that you want to have fun and prove your worth 1v1 with other people than your guildies, but you need to realize that dueling will not be easy to implement, will add nothing to the wider community, and doesn’t do much to teach the average player how to pvp. A mentor can teach someone to pvp, and adds infinitely more to the community.

in PvP

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I fail to see how duelling causes a terrible community, look at the duelling community in WvW for example.

Just implement it already, with an option to not even be able to be invited to duel as well as (for those that want to duel) a character icon displaying “Duelist” or something meaning you are open to invites to duel which you would then have to accept.

Just gonna quote myself again.

Just because you do not want it, doesn’t mean those that do shouldn’t get it. If you don’t want to duel, don’t click the “Duelist” checkbox to allow duel invites. Simple. Go about your business. The rest of us that enjoy it will find somewhere to congregate and have fun.

I actually find it absurd that there are no fighting pits in LA specifically for duels.

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

I think you’re confusing open world PVP with dueling. One is ganking and troll prone while the other one is fun and can be a great teaching tool for new players. You don’t have to participate in dueling and it’s usually really hard to spam dueling invites. I miss dueling and would definitely use it.

I know I’m not confusing the two. I don’t know what game you’re coming from, but spamming duel invites was not difficult at all in WoW. Even with autodecline for duels, it doesn’t stop the constant stream of “just duel me, bro! wut are you, chiken?” and other comments. As far as dueling being a teaching tool goes, brass knuckles can be a teaching tool too, but they usually aren’t.

in PvP

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Unlike now when people cant do anything while they wait for bosses to spawn or a que to pop oh wait they can.
Harvest stuff talk to people do events kill mobs to build up stacks of + attributes etc

Riiiight. Because doing low level events that I can casually one shot by now and harvesting nodes is what I call an entertaining use of my time.

I’d much rather have a fun and engaging duel or watch other people duel to pass the time. Additionally none of your suggestions work if you’re waiting for a queue in the Mists. PVPers have to just sit and wait.

well noone here is against adding a duel arena in the mists wer talking about open world mate.

in PvP

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

dueling has nothing to do with pvp, because pvp isnt built around 1v1, its built around team fights. If dueling meant ANYTHING pvp wise, Ranger would have been in the meta for a long time.

/thread

in PvP

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I fail to see how duelling causes a terrible community, look at the duelling community in WvW for example.

Just implement it already, with an option to not even be able to be invited to duel as well as (for those that want to duel) a character icon displaying “Duelist” or something meaning you are open to invites to duel which you would then have to accept.

Just because you do not want it, doesn’t mean those that do shouldn’t get it. If you don’t want to duel, don’t click the “Duelist” checkbox to allow duel invites. Simple. Go about your business. The rest of us that enjoy it will find somewhere to congregate and have fun.

I actually find it absurd that there are no fighting pits in LA specifically for duels.

The reverse is also true, just because you want duels, doesn’t mean you should get them or that I should have to see a bunch of stupid little fights going on constantly around the open world maps. Also you don’t have the map chat taunts like “Are you scared to fight me?”

Wanting something doesn’t entitle you to have it.

in PvP

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

This is another reason to add in the Arena to LA like was in the novels. GvG, 1v1 duels…and all that could be spectated, and even have wagers. I’ve said this should be there for a long long time.

And yes, you can GvG and 1v1 in WvW…check out Obsidiam Sanctum in WvW on any given Thursday(when many servers do “Fight Nights”).

So, why not have a place to do it in PvE as well? Go to the arena and set up you duel. Not just a fight in the open world…make it something special.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

The corollary to that is that just because you want it doesn’t mean that the rest of us have to be subjected to it.

If you aren’t making a case for you position, you are not contributing to the discussion. By continually restating your case all you do portray yourself as a child who keeps saying, “wanna candy! wanna candy! wanna candy!” You can do better than this.
1. Address how being able to 1v1 in custom arenas or guild halls isn’t somehow giving you everything you need.

2. Explain how beating someone’s butt like a kettle drum in public is a better way to teach pvp skills than a custom arena with privacy.

If you can’t convince people over these two simple points, you will never be able to convince anyone that you aren’t looking for a way to stroke yourself in public. I’m not trying to be rude, but that’s what this entire thread looks like. If it isn’t the case that you just want an audience while you destroy people, then prove it.

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Player A says duel me
Player B ok
A kills B

A Man you kitten noob I wrecked you
B If I were on so and so class I would so f you up

Yea we dont want talk like this in our game

Edit
Even if people can auto decline it, that still would stop certain people running after pesting to get duels asking what they are scared of or name calling em words like the p one for cat

Weird. In dueling arena, it goes like this.

Player A says duel me.
Player B says ok.
Player A kills B.

Player A: GG
Player B: GG.

Player C comes out of nowhere and stomp B and kill A.

I think you are making stuff up.

That is my experience, or more so…

Both players stand off, jump up and down.
Player A /bow
Player B /bow
Duel till someone comes along and attacks Player B, Player A stands back and watches Player B destroy the incoming attacker and stomp him.
Player B /bow
Player A /bow
Duel again until Player A is down.
Player B /bow
Player A revives, then /bow
Sometimes: Player A & B discuss tactics.

Most of my duels look nothing like that.

Player A: /bow
Player B:/bow
Player A and player B duel until one of us is half health.

Player C comes out of stealth to gank to get him downed. Then he leaves his downed body alive and let him res up until 90% of his downed hp is there and then attack once to keep him in downed state.

If he fail to do that burst gank, he goes back into stealth and go back into spectator mode until they start dueling again. Then he attempts to ruin the duel again until we start dueling or we leave. If we leave for another server, then he follows and ruin the duel again. His objective isn’t to get a stomp, his objective is to grief. Stalling the duel is good enough to accomplish his task, no need to stomp.

Yes, this is why dueling needs to be implemented and Custom Arenas is not a option.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: BenjaminFast.7213

BenjaminFast.7213

If I may chime in on this topic, I don’t think the concept of having duels is totally unreasonable. However, I do agree with many points that have been made on both sides.

I wouldn’t say I’m an advanced player, I have got one character to lvl 80, and the rest are far behind that. I mostly play single player as I do still get overwhelmed with PVP. There is often chaos and sometimes I re-spawn and die within seconds and have no idea how or why. I’m not entirely useless either, but solely focusing on single player doesn’t allow you the opportunity to discover how other players fight. I’m mostly fighting, mindlessly, against monsters that I can beat without trying too hard. Enter PVP, I get slaughtered because I feel unprepared.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but did the original Guild Wars have an option for 1v1 duels? It has been WAY too long since I’ve played it to remembers.

My two suggestions for this matter are either:

1) Create a separate arena for duels, not included on the world map or PVP. Enter at your own risk. Fight other players, either at a standard lvl of 80, a la PVP, or within categories from lvls 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc. so you aren’t completely slaughtered. That way you can form a good fighting style at the lvl your character is currently at and grow as a player as you level up.

or

2) Have a dueling option included with the WvE, when players can send suggestions to other players to duel, and upon acceptance, the duel will commence. However, as mentioned above, it would get annoying constantly declining duels, or have an “inbox” of sorts of offers that gets clogged up. So my suggestions is to have an option to “Block all Duel Offers”, so when one players scans over a player who has triggered the “block” options, the ability to send the suggestion is not even possible until they change that feature to" welcome duel offers."

How this would effect the “community” as people have been concerned about, I don’t know. But at least if you are given the option to duel, or block the offers, then anyone not interested doesn’t have to partake. Those are my suggestions.

I do see the benefit of playing 1v1 to gain experience and fighting strategies, however, they would have to create it in a way where there is still peace between the players, and that those not interested can play the game without the hassle. However, to not include this feature and leave it as is, I would be completely content with that as well. Just my two sense.

(edited by BenjaminFast.7213)

in PvP

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

I posted this idea a while back somewhere else. I still think it applies.

I am not addressing the technicalities here, but more so the dueling mentality when applied to PvE.

Let’s think a bit on how much an image, title, or even word can change the perception we have of something.

To Kill is one thing, to defeat is another, isn’kitten

I propose, Sparring.

What is the difference? Sparring is almost always between allies or practitioners of a certain skill.

What would be different about Sparring? Simple, when you beat someone else in a spar (If you have ever done a martial art, boxing, MMA etc), there is meant to be a sense of respect for your opponent. After the spar, if they have been knocked down, you help them up. It is good sportsmanship.

in GW2 Sparring, you duel as normal, then after one person is downed, it auto ends. Immediately. The second one of you downs you both turn green, and you an help revive your downed opponent. Not only that, you get bonuses for reviving them, like XP, or a boon which may allow you to do something practical… like movement speed, or a bit of bonus magic find.

Sure, some people will try to abuse it for monetary gain. Though, it would basically be the same as farming mobs for XP in a location, or eating food from the Tp. The Magic find wouldn’t stack is what I’m saying.

To promote this further, you could make it so both people need to be on each other’s friend’s lists to spar. It would only make sense.

Auto decline would really kind of be in practice, as you just don’t add anyone you don’t want a spar request from. BUT just to iron out all possibilities, auto decline can still be a feature which is toggled as default.

Not only that, but there could be certain zones where you aren’t allowed to spar. I.E right outside the spawn point of starter zones, to preserve any difficulty combat effects could bring to such areas in terms of fps and PC.

That is another thing, you could even go as far as to have an option for people not to see other players ONCE they have entered a spar. Sort of like the culling options already in game.

So, what is the issue with that? I’m sure I missed something.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in PvP

runeblade.7514

1. Address how being able to 1v1 in custom arenas or guild halls isn’t somehow giving you everything you need.

2. Explain how beating someone’s butt like a kettle drum in public is a better way to teach pvp skills than a custom arena with privacy.

1. Custom Arenas open up to griefing. There is no protection against griefing. Guild Halls doesn’t allow me to duel with random duelist I come across. I don’t want to duel with just friends, I want to duel with anyone and uninterrupted.

2. By doing 1v1, you can eventually see why that player had killed you. You can see the burst that killed you. You can see the immunity he brings to block all your attacks. You can change tactics to feint or learn how to block the duelist most devastating attacks. It is much more recognizable than a zerg blowing up pixels everywhere.

Now you tell me, Why should we have gold? I am disgusted by these beggars that whispers to me to give them gold. They harass me, and insult me. Why is ANet not removing gold? You believe harassment is a serious case. Why not remove dungeons too? People can kick me out in the end and I have no choice over it. This is disgusting behavior and should result in dungeons or any challenging content being removed entirely.

You can either believe:

• This mythical harassment that dueling bring is not a serious problem.

or

• Remove Dungeons, challenging content, WvW, all of PvP, All of PvE, zerker gear, gold, map chat, say chat, any chat because I get harassed equally or more over there.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

I am not addressing the technicalities here, but more so the dueling mentality when applied to PvE.

Let’s think a bit on how much an image, title, or even word can change the perception we have of something.

I propose, Sparring.

What is the difference? Sparring is almost always between allies or practitioners of a certain skill.

What would be different about Sparring? Simple, when you beat someone else in a spar (If you have ever done a martial art, boxing, MMA etc), there is meant to be a sense of respect for your opponent. After the spar, if they have been knocked down, you help them up. It is good sportsmanship.

in GW2 Sparring, you duel as normal, then after one person is downed, it auto ends. Immediately. The second one of you downs you both turn green, and you an help revive your downed opponent. Not only that, you get bonuses for reviving them, like XP, or a boon which may allow you to do something practical… like movement speed, or a bit of bonus magic find.

Sure, some people will try to abuse it for monetary gain. Though, it would basically be the same as farming mobs for XP in a location, or eating food from the Tp. The Magic find wouldn’t stack is what I’m saying.

To promote this further, you could make it so both people need to be on each other’s friend’s lists to spar. It would only make sense.

Auto decline would really kind of be in practice, as you just don’t add anyone you don’t want a spar request from. BUT just to iron out all possibilities, auto decline can still be a feature which is toggled as default.

Not only that, but there could be certain zones where you aren’t allowed to spar. I.E right outside the spawn point of starter zones, to preserve any difficulty combat effects could bring to such areas in terms of fps and PC.

That is another thing, you could even go as far as to have an option for people not to see other players ONCE they have entered a spar. Sort of like the culling options already in game.

So, just dueling but you can’t stomp them. I’m okay with that.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

How this would effect the “community” as people have been concerned about, I don’t know. But at least if you are given the option to duel, or block the offers, then anyone not interested doesn’t have to partake. Those are my suggestions.

It wouldn’t affect the community any way.

in PvP

PistolWhip.2697

I propose, Sparring.

So, just dueling but you can’t stomp them. I’m okay with that.

It is more than that.

You need to recognize, how you advertise something does a lot for how people perceive it.

Calling it a Spar can be enough to dispel the negative feelings some have towards dueling.

If you don’t approach this with a positive and upbeat attitude, then you won’t convince anyone.

That’s why us in favour of such a feature must try to find solutions to problems. You don’t sway opinions with being obtuse. Far more can be convinced with politeness.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

If I may chime in on this topic, I don’t think the concept of having duels is totally unreasonable. However, I do agree with many points that have been made on both sides.

I wouldn’t say I’m an advanced player, I have got one character to lvl 80, and the rest are far behind that. I mostly play single player as I do still get overwhelmed with PVP. There is often chaos and sometimes I re-spawn and die within seconds and have no idea how or why. I’m not entirely useless either, but solely focusing on single player doesn’t allow you the opportunity to discover how other players fight. I’m mostly fighting, mindlessly, against monsters that I can beat without trying too hard. Enter PVP, I get slaughtered because I feel unprepared.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but did the original Guild Wars have an option for 1v1 duels? It has been WAY too long since I’ve played it to remembers.

1) Create a separate arena for duels, not included on the world map or PVP. Enter at your own risk. Fight other players, either at a standard lvl of 80, a la PVP, or within categories from lvls 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc. so you aren’t completely slaughtered. That way you can form a good fighting style at the lvl your character is currently at and grow as a player as you level up.

or

2) Have a dueling option included with the WvE, when players can send suggestions to other players to duel, and upon acceptance, the duel will commence. However, as mentioned above, it would get annoying constantly declining duels, or have an “inbox” of sorts of offers that gets clogged up. So my suggestions is to have an option to “Block all Duel Offers”, so when one players scans over a player who has triggered the “block” options, the ability to send the suggestion is not even possible until they change that feature to" welcome duel offers."

I do see the benefit of playing 1v1 to gain experience and fighting strategies, however, they would have to create it in a way where there is still peace between the players, and that those not interested can play the game without the hassle. However, to not include this feature and leave it as is, I would be completely content with that as well. Just my two sense.

I like your first suggestion. It has the benefit of providing a place for dueling that doesn’t stress existing server resources, keeps the duels from disrupting people engaged in banking/posting trades or pve, and means that everyone in the dueling location is there for that purpose. In other words, it’s community building. You could even have it be the Polymock Arena at Rata Sum, with entrances in all major cities. This is a win/win for people who want to duel and for people who don’t want to deal with the inevitable side effects of dueling. Hell, I think it would even prevent a lot of the side issues that show up with open world dueling.

However, I disagree with your second suggestion. It is nothing more than the same open world dueling suggestions as posted earlier. Your second suggestion still fails to address the many concerns of trolling, disruption, and harassment that follow the introduction of open world dueling. I will not list them all again, but I will say this: it’s easier to add an instanced area with it’s own rules, than it is to add a feature that works correctly over the entire game world. This, I believe, argues for an instanced area for dueling.

in PvP

PistolWhip.2697

or

I like your first suggestion. It has the benefit of providing a place for dueling that doesn’t stress existing server resources, keeps the duels from disrupting people engaged in banking/posting trades or pve, and means that everyone in the dueling location is there for that purpose. In other words, it’s community building. You could even have it be the Polymock Arena at Rata Sum, with entrances in all major cities. This is a win/win for people who want to duel and for people who don’t want to deal with the inevitable side effects of dueling. Hell, I think it would even prevent a lot of the side issues that show up with open world dueling.

However, I disagree with your second suggestion. It is nothing more than the same open world dueling suggestions as posted earlier. Your second suggestion still fails to address the many concerns of trolling, disruption, and harassment that follow the introduction of open world dueling. I will not list them all again, but I will say this: it’s easier to add an instanced area with it’s own rules, than it is to add a feature that works correctly over the entire game world. This, I believe, argues for an instanced area for dueling.

I have been harassed by just as many if not more PvE players as I have duelists.

I get the concern, but we can’t bow heads to the trolls or toxic players and give them the power to dictate how we should add to the game.

And it is adding to it. For you, maybe not, but for a group of players out there, this is the fulfilling content they need and want, even if it is simply because they can do it to pass time in events, or play at their full gear outside SPvP without having to swap to be on the opposing server this WvW match. It could just even be to foster a new guild of duelists who develop a ‘Fight Club’ in the Black Citadel Arena, where people can watch from the stands and even wager bets.

Could you imagine if this fighting pit had regular names and favourites who could defend their titles? The possibilities are endless.

The issue isn’t as much dueling, it is how it is implemented. There are measures that can safeguard other players in the event of dueling as an addition, and only when they are fully addressed to a satisfactory level should dueling be added.

But if they are, and people are willing to brainstorm for it because they love the idea of this open world dueling so much, what’s the harm?

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

1. Custom Arenas open up to griefing. There is no protection against griefing. Guild Halls doesn’t allow me to duel with random duelist I come across. I don’t want to duel with just friends, I want to duel with anyone and uninterrupted.

2. By doing 1v1, you can eventually see why that player had killed you. You can see the burst that killed you. You can see the immunity he brings to block all your attacks. You can change tactics to feint or learn how to block the duelist most devastating attacks. It is much more recognizable than a zerg blowing up pixels everywhere.

Your point about not wanting only to duel with your friends is not only valid, but a serious concern to anyone who wants to be good at pvp. After all, we only get better when we face a challenge. However, I don’t follow your point about custom arenas being open to griefing. Perhaps you could explain further?

Your second point about how 1v1 is also an excellent one, as far as being able to figure out tactics and counters. It completely fails to address my point about how doing so in public is at all necessary to the learning process. It fails to address the point that the desire to beat someone down in front of an audience of people that aren’t there for dueling is nothing more than the desire to stroke your e-p in public. Another poster suggested an instanced dueling arena. This would have it’s own dueling rules and everyone there would be there for the express purpose of dueling other players. This is a simple an elegant solution.

Now you tell me, Why should we have gold? I am disgusted by these beggars that whispers to me to give them gold. They harass me, and insult me. Why is ANet not removing gold? You believe harassment is a serious case. Why not remove dungeons too? People can kick me out in the end and I have no choice over it. This is disgusting behavior and should result in dungeons or any challenging content being removed entirely.

You can either believe:

or

• Remove Dungeons, challenging content, WvW, all of PvP, All of PvE, zerker gear, gold, map chat, say chat, any chat because I get harassed equally or more over there.

For shame, sir. your arguments in the first half of your post were far better. Here, you first compare apples to oranges, then extrapolate to infinity and wrap up with an either/or argument. As to your claim that the dueling harassment is “mythical”, I can assure you it is not. I have played WoW and LotRO both rather extensively and could go on ad nauseam with examples from my own experience.

I am not against the idea of 1v1 pvp without having to worry about some piker trying to interfere. I guess you could say that it’s a matter of zoning. My position is that dueling should occur in areas that are zoned for it, not all over the place.

in PvP

Posted by: Shemie.4286

Shemie.4286

(Huge text of wall, tl:dr – nop)

Hello everybody. I’m the original-poster. I see you guys have a lot of arguments about implementing the duel system, and what not. Keep in mind that this is just a suggestion, trolls, mean comments and people who seeks to confront anyone with an offensive language is not welcomed. I purposely made this thread, not to gather all the information from all the other threads – but to create a thread of my own, seeing as all the other threads are spammed either with lots of things that doesn’t make sense to a degree, or purely all bull, that’s not what I’m trying to achieve.

I really like all the ideas I’ve read about, on this particular thread. And I do agree to most of them, and even disagree to a few. I will explain them why later in this text of wall.

First, I want to differentiate two things as many people here don’t seem to get, or even want to face. The first thing is a DUEL option, this means an invite is sent to the other player, whether your opponent decides to decline or accept is a part of his responsibility and ready to face anything that can happen in a duel. About good sportsmanship is of course ‘required’ to make the community less toxic-like. The option of when you “die” not the knocked-down/last-stand stance should be disabled. This means when you kill your opponent, you won’t be able to use a finisher. You have the choice to revive him and earn free XP, and also maybe be able to get “Friendly” with the amount of players you have revived after a duel (the amount doesn’t have to be a lot, but for new players who likes to duel here and there, every now and then will be rewarded as the game is already rewarding for everything you do). I don’t see the problem in this. Even if some classes aren’t meant to 1vs1, well that’s also your choice. You can tell him to wait so you can relog into another character that is more likely suited for 1vs1s. Or you can also decline and tell him that you don’t like pvping, or don’t have the time (Any excuse should work, you’re declining anyways). Now the big thought comes into context, I’ve played very many MMORPG’s and no classes are made for everything, some classes excels better than others in particular areas. No classes will ever be balanced in a game as the meta is changing, new content, new updates to keep the game alive. So face the fact, that’s no excuse to say “This game doesn’t fit the theme to have the option to duel someone”

The second thing is the open-world dueling. If that ever gets implemented or not, I don’t really care. That’s all suggestions, not all have to live up to the community and fulfill the role. If the community decides open-world dueling will somehow dirt the PvE and ruin it, that’s a so-so. Some people like to duel in a place that is fantasy-like, such as waterfalls, towers, or a nice background while having a duel. But as many of the people here said already, open world duel isn’t a must. Then my second suggestion for dueling is in the Heart Of The Mist, nobody can ever deny that this will speed up the processtime and make it “fun” while waiting for an official game where you do get rewards. I don’t see any reason to not like this thought. We already have a lot of players who’s just casually chatting or camping in Heart Of The Mist, typing in guild chat/whispers/ and etc.

As for the game goes, the game already offers many options for PvE, it would be unfair not to add such an option like duel in the Heart Of Mist, while waiting (I keep mentioning this cause it’s true) we already have dungeons, getting raids in HoT expansion, new fractals, and ONE new pvp map (that’s not even my point) and not to mention the amazing map-event for specific areas to unlock another “gate” like skrittholes and bosses. This makes the game feel more alive and rewarding that suddenly you see many players running towards you " Oh, where are they going? Oh cool. It’s an event. I should head there myself and make the PvE feel alive and like a huge raid".

From my understanding, the game already pleases PvE players in some degree, but on the other hand – people who loves to pvp doesn’t have that kind of option. We are forced to guild hall pvp (Hopefully you can duel random people as an invite to the hall) enter 1vs1 servers where you can get interrupted, or buy your own server with password for private purposes, world vs world and edge of the mist (where it’s mostly all about capturing points, and not the combat itself)

The game have so much potential to whoop all other games aside, but something is holding back, and I don’t know why. The game is amazing, the pvp is all about mechanical skills and not gear. PvE is entertaining, dungeons could be better and raids will be our new spotlight for hope and shine.

As for implementation and innovations, what comes with goods also comes with negativity, and in fact this is a huge problem as many people think trolls and flamers will be better and more noticed. That’s already a fact, but it doesn’t have to be so bad that this thought is preventing the devs to add a duel option. It’s a risk to take to either improve, or if it’s bad it should be removed. That’s why we have Beta weekends, right?

ESL is a leading platform for tournaments, and since we have streams available for players to watch the pvp tournament, with that direction we need more than what we currently have. Like someone here posted about enter this map on your own risk with level requirements to prevent stomps is also a very good thought. In that way, the PvE isn’t touched – not even by the branch. If open-world duel is not an option, by entering this area (Huge map) allows you to right click someone and choose the “Invite to a duel” option. Where’s the harm? If anything is not done, nothing is getting better. That’s what I learned in my life.

Just something for you guys to notice, we had a pretty nice discussion, very minimal troll and flamers

(edited by Shemie.4286)

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

I have been harassed by just as many if not more PvE players as I have duelists.

I get the concern, but we can’t bow heads to the trolls or toxic players and give them the power to dictate how we should add to the game.

And it is adding to it. For you, maybe not, but for a group of players out there, this is the fulfilling content they need and want, even if it is simply because they can do it to pass time in events, or play at their full gear outside SPvP without having to swap to be on the opposing server this WvW match. It could just even be to foster a new guild of duelists who develop a ‘Fight Club’ in the Black Citadel Arena, where people can watch from the stands and even wager bets.

Could you imagine if this fighting pit had regular names and favourites who could defend their titles? The possibilities are endless.

The issue isn’t as much dueling, it is how it is implemented. There are measures that can safeguard other players in the event of dueling as an addition, and only when they are fully addressed to a satisfactory level should dueling be added.

But if they are, and people are willing to brainstorm for it because they love the idea of this open world dueling so much, what’s the harm?

I agree that it could add some good to the game. Not that it automatically will add good to the game, only that it could. You are correct that how you present an idea matters a great deal, as well as having an upbeat positive attitude about solving the problems. I’m a big fan of brainstorming too.

My problem is not with the idea of dueling. My problem is with the idea that we should import the dueling system from another game, as is. Dueling in WoW could be fun, and educational. More often, in my experience, it is vexing, annoying, and harassing. My other problem is the head in the sand statements that dueling as represented is fine and has no problems, and if you don’t like it, it’s because you’re dumb. I am exaggerating, of course, but many of the people arguing for dueling are neither recognizing problems, nor offering solutions.

I believe that dueling could be introduced to GW2, but not by cloning another game’s system. Let’s suggest ideas to Anet about ways that it could work. Ways that dueling could add good to the community and the game. Your vision of a sort of Fight Club league, a game within the game, that is completely player driven is really interesting. That’s an idea that can build community. So let’s talk more about ideas like that. Maybe make a true Polymock Arena for duelists. Hell maybe they’ll let us use the Queen’s Pavilion when it’s not time for the Jubilee.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Your point about not wanting only to duel with your friends is not only valid, but a serious concern to anyone who wants to be good at pvp. After all, we only get better when we face a challenge. However, I don’t follow your point about custom arenas being open to griefing. Perhaps you could explain further?

Your second point about how 1v1 is also an excellent one, as far as being able to figure out tactics and counters. It completely fails to address my point about how doing so in public is at all necessary to the learning process. It fails to address the point that the desire to beat someone down in front of an audience of people that aren’t there for dueling is nothing more than the desire to stroke your e-p in public. Another poster suggested an instanced dueling arena. This would have it’s own dueling rules and everyone there would be there for the express purpose of dueling other players. This is a simple an elegant solution.

How it griefs

Why does a duel need to be private? I can duel if I am waiting for a world boss to spawn, I can duel when one of my party member is afking. I can duel with random passerby if I am bored with the monotony of grinding hearts all day. I don’t understand why you have the need to feel threatened by seeing a duel between players unrelated to you or someone watching you duel with another player. At the end of the day, no one in the public will remember your duel.

You can either believe:

or

For shame, sir. your arguments in the first half of your post were far better. Here, you first compare apples to oranges, then extrapolate to infinity and wrap up with an either/or argument. As to your claim that the dueling harassment is “mythical”, I can assure you it is not. I have played WoW and LotRO both rather extensively and could go on ad nauseam with examples from my own experience.

I am not against the idea of 1v1 pvp without having to worry about some piker trying to interfere. I guess you could say that it’s a matter of zoning. My position is that dueling should occur in areas that are zoned for it, not all over the place.

You don’t like dueling because it brings harassment and the sole reason.

I want to remove gold because it bring harassment and it is the sole reason. No, it is a far better argument, you chose to ignore it. If you want to stop a feature just so you don’t get to be harassed, then I want to remove gold, dungeons, zerk gear, PvE, PvP, WvW, so I don’t get harassed. I can go into any MMORPG: WoW, LotRO, Tera, Guild Wars 2, Ragnarok, Aion and see beggars asking me for gold.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

How it griefs

Why does a duel need to be private? I can duel if I am waiting for a world boss to spawn, I can duel when one of my party member is afking. I can duel with random passerby if I am bored with the monotony of grinding hearts all day. I don’t understand why you have the need to feel threatened by seeing a duel between players unrelated to you or someone watching you duel with another player. At the end of the day, no one in the public will remember your duel.

You can either believe:

or

I want to remove gold because it bring harassment and it is the sole reason. No, it is a far better argument, you chose to ignore it. If you want to stop a feature just so you don’t get to be harassed, then I want to remove gold, dungeons, zerk gear, PvE, PvP, WvW, so I don’t get harassed. I can go into any MMORPG: WoW, LotRO, Tera, Guild Wars 2, Ragnarok, Aion and see beggars asking me for gold.

u said this once, and i remember it being quite good so i must quote it

I had a similar case with you.

Everyone keeps begging me for gold.

It’s my business if it affects me, and it affected me. I don’t really care if I can block people in chat or not. It’s obnoxious to have some teenage cretin badmouthing me in local chat because I refuse to give him gold. It’s not why I play games. And yes, I did block him, but I still find it obnoxious.

This is the kind of player that gold invites to the community. It ruins the community not just for me, but for the dozens of others who feel like I do. This isn’t something we made up inconvenience people. We feel this way due to our experience with players like that. Same with other currencies like etco in gw1.

Sure, I can ignore them. But they don’t make the game more fun for me, and they DO affect some people a lot more than they affect me. I’d probably rather have the affected people to play with than the beggars.

So I say no to gold.

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

How it griefs

I’m not sure how you get that I am threatened, feel a need to be threatened by people dueling, or that I don’t want dueling just because of harassment. I have made no statements to that effect in this thread. Secondly the post of mine that you referenced originally was replying to someone who made the statement that dueling is a valuable teaching tool for people who want to pvp. My position, as stated previously, is as follows:

1. Dueling can indeed be a useful tool to teach pvp tactics and situational awareness.

2. Public dueling, as a result of it’s need for people to challenge will take place in locations that are heavily populated, i.e. banks, BLTP, crafting tables in major cities.

3. As a result, the increased activity and population added by dueling will tax server resources and induce lag.

4. While the majority of duelers may be polite friendly people, many are not. Anyone who has played WoW or LotRO is familiar with the obnoxious duelers who will not leave a person that doesn’t want to duel them alone.

Repeatedly, I have made these exact same points. Other posters have made the effort put forward counter arguments, alternatives, and dare I say it, solutions. They and I are having a dialogue. I have even changed my mind about the usefulness of dueling. You and others have convinced me that there is a place for some sort of 1v1 pvp in GW2.
Unfortunately, you seem determined to do nothing more than beat me over the head with your position and say, “not one step back!” You have not advanced a new idea, or offered a compromise. When asked to expand on your statement that custom arenas get griefed, you linked an earlier post that sounds more like a WvW encounter.
Please have the courtesy to read and consider my arguments, instead of simply dismissing the content, while you pick it apart for refutation. I have read your arguments, and they do have merit. Yet you never stop there, you instead seem to feel the need to delve into various logical fallacies, such as

False Equivalence fallacy
ad Hominem fallacy
Straw Man fallacy
Argument from repetition fallacy

You had good points, stick with those. Focus on ways that we could introduce dueling that minimize the impact on players, and maybe build community, rather keep trying for the my way or the highway routine. That way just gets this thread shut down as nonproductive. If you do not feel you can have a sound and logical debate about this then I feel we shall have to agree to disagree, & I will no longer respond to you posts.

Edited to add italicized section

(edited by tinymurder.5791)

in PvP

BenjaminFast.7213

or

I like your idea of sparring. I could seem more welcoming than dueling. And while I made two suggestions, I’d agree that option 1 would be my preference. However, if they were to implement it into the PvE world, then that I a suggestion to contribute to how it would be less frustrating for people that don’t with to duel (or spar.) And if it was implemented into PvE, I wouldn’t want it to result in the death of one player. It would be strictly for testing your skills against another player 1 on 1, and perhaps get rewarded at the end of it. Perhaps you can both be granted participatory experience, and the winner gets a small reward. Or after winning 5 Spars you receive an EXP Booster, or something of the sorts. But it would be nice if both parties received something so there is more incentive to participate, win or lose. I know I’d stop after a while if I kept losing and gained nothing for trying.

Also, if it is in PvE, perhaps once both players have agreed to duel (spar) they get transported to an arena meant for that purpose. They have their match, get their reward, and return to PvE. In the meantime to everyone else the players could still be visible and have dueling gloves or swords above their avatars to show that they are in a dual. During that time they can’t be affected by monsters, or addressed by other players. And they don’t need to return to a Waypoint to continue on their journey. They just simply pick up where they left off.

But, all that being said, an entirely separate area dedicated to this, as mentioned in my first suggestion, would be ideal…

in PvP

PistolWhip.2697

or

I like your idea of sparring. I could seem more welcoming than dueling. And while I made two suggestions, I’d agree that option 1 would be my preference. However, if they were to implement it into the PvE world, then that I a suggestion to contribute to how it would be less frustrating for people that don’t with to duel (or spar.) And if it was implemented into PvE, I wouldn’t want it to result in the death of one player. It would be strictly for testing your skills against another player 1 on 1, and perhaps get rewarded at the end of it. Perhaps you can both be granted participatory experience, and the winner gets a small reward. Or after winning 5 Spars you receive an EXP Booster, or something of the sorts. But it would be nice if both parties received something so there is more incentive to participate, win or lose. I know I’d stop after a while if I kept losing and gained nothing for trying.

Also, if it is in PvE, perhaps once both players have agreed to duel (spar) they get transported to an arena meant for that purpose. They have their match, get their reward, and return to PvE. In the meantime to everyone else the players could still be visible and have dueling gloves or swords above their avatars to show that they are in a dual. During that time they can’t be affected by monsters, or addressed by other players. And they don’t need to return to a Waypoint to continue on their journey. They just simply pick up where they left off.

But, all that being said, an entirely separate area dedicated to this, as mentioned in my first suggestion, would be ideal…

I dunno about the immunity to monsters thing. This could lead to abusing it to bypass mobs in certain areas.

Heck, some people might want the added complication of monsters to their duel for thematic reasons.

Also about the sparring point… what is my post… chopped liver? xD

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

I dunno about the immunity to monsters thing. This could lead to abusing it to bypass mobs in certain areas.

Heck, some people might want the added complication of monsters to their duel for thematic reasons.

I figured he was talking about your post that I quoted anyway, since I don’t think I’ve called it sparring in any of my posts.

I do agree that maybe there shouldn’t be an immunity to monsters for open world dueling. Mind you, I still think open world dueling is a terrible idea. However, if they were to incorporate dueling as an open world ability, then major cities would have to be off limits for duels. That wouldn’t be too difficult to code I think. I still believe a separate dueling area, in the Heart of the Mists like another poster mentioned, would be the better solution.

in PvP

BenjaminFast.7213

I figured he was talking about your post that I quoted anyway, since I don’t think I’ve called it sparring in any of my posts.

I do agree that maybe there shouldn’t be an immunity to monsters for open world dueling. Mind you, I still think open world dueling is a terrible idea. However, if they were to incorporate dueling as an open world ability, then major cities would have to be off limits for duels. That wouldn’t be too difficult to code I think. I still believe a separate dueling area, in the Heart of the Mists like another poster mentioned, would be the better solution.

Sorry PistolWhip, you ain’t chopped liver. I didn’t quote everyone’s comment on my post because it would take too long. I am posting all of these comment while I’m at work, lol. I like the idea of sparring, and I also like what you mentioned about a Fight Club.

I think if people want this to be implemented into the game we do all need to brainstorm ideas, and that may require some suggestions being knocked down. Some of my suggestions aren’t well-liked by some of you and that’s fine. I’m simply thinking up ideas on how to implement it. Making one suggestions leaves room open to build on it.

To be clear, I also am a fan of having a separate arena dedicated to dueling. Even if this is accessed through Heart of the Mists, which would make sense too.

Also, regarding the monsters interfering (if it’s in PvE) I agree with what you said about people using dueling as a scape goat when caught in a horde of monsters. Having it in the PvE just isn’t ideal… If monsters can interfere, then people will just have to be smarter about where they enter a duel. Or they have zones set apart for dueling. Perhaps designated areas where roaming monsters are scarce, but not non-existent. I don’t know…

in PvP

runeblade.7514

1. Dueling can indeed be a useful tool to teach pvp tactics and situational awareness.

2. Public dueling, as a result of it’s need for people to challenge will take place in locations that are heavily populated, i.e. banks, BLTP, crafting tables in major cities.

3. As a result, the increased activity and population added by dueling will tax server resources and induce lag.

4. While the majority of duelers may be polite friendly people, many are not. Anyone who has played WoW or LotRO is familiar with the obnoxious duelers who will not leave a person that doesn’t want to duel them alone.

snipped the offtopic points.

2. You know this because…?

3. Do you work for ANet? How do you know the state of ANet’s server? This sounds like BS.

4. True. Then remove WvW, PvP, PvE, Zerk gear, etc. because obnoxious players play those and I don’t want to be harassed.

in PvP

Posted by: Shemie.4286

Shemie.4286

3. Do you work for ANet? How do you know the state of ANet’s server? This sounds like BS.

4. True. Then remove WvW, PvP, PvE, Zerk gear, etc. because obnoxious players play those and I don’t want to be harassed.

+1

I also wonder where he got that information from. Making towns such a big mess with tons of players wouldn’t make any of us disconnect. If wvw map can do it, then towns can easily as well.

in PvP

Posted by: Zevix.1479

Zevix.1479

If you want 1v1 pvp, keep it in the mists. Some of you idiots are talking about challenging people in the pve environment.

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

If you want 1v1 pvp, keep it in the mists. Some of you idiots are talking about challenging people in the pve environment.

ya better keep those toxic duelers away from the sensible, always polite, pve players… amirite fellas?

in PvP

Posted by: Vci.8459

Vci.8459

Hi guys,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents in here regarding dueling..

My main activity in these types of games is pvp, I enjoy gearing and pveing but my end goal is always to be prepared to pvp. I like to roam around finding people to fight against and see who comes out on top. This is just how I enjoy games.

Another thing to note is that I am a content creator, I make montages and the like of pvp and one of my big things for including dueling is variety and Flexability. When I’m creating a pvp video I scout cool looking areas to pvp in that are scenic, balanced for both people and makes for an entertaining clip.

Within the restrictions of a guild hall or the same structured environment this quickly loses variety and becomes predictable and boring. The ability to duel anywhere would let me create varied and exciting content to let people know about the game showing off its environment.

I like the idea of an auto decline duel button so those not interested in.dueling don’t need to worry. In my opinion dueling would allow people interested in that area of pvp to enjoy it and not take away from the pve experience at all.

And for me it would allow my videos to be varied and let not only the community but new potential players see how cool pvp can be and how amazing the world looks.

Thanks,

Vci

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

2 & 3. Empirical observation. I have played a couple MMOs that have open world dueling, and it always gravitated to where the most people hang out on a regular basis. Any person who played WoW during BC can tell you what a lag-fest Stormwind, Ironforge, and Orgrimmar were. During Wrath it was Dalaran. Everyone crowds into the section of the city that had the auction house and the bank. Until Blizzard booted dueling out of the capital cities, that’s where the majority of dueling took place. Blizzard instituted this change, because of, in no particular order:

A. The strain on server resources
B. The significant performance reduction cause by induced lag
C. Increased disconnects caused by lag
D. Harassment of players by duelers, and the reverse.

I’d say look it up on the WoW forums, but I don’t recall if this was before the forum reset. If so, the extensive forums threads decrying public dueling are probably long gone. If not, then they are buried in the literally thousands of other threads on the WoW forums.

As far as the state of Anet’s servers, I am making some educated guesses. I’m basing my position on experience with other games, as well as Guild Wars 2. I’m drawing on my experience of the kind of performance degradation that occurs with overloading a server with both population and visual effects from a significant percentage of that population firing off aoe powers. I’m remembering fighting JorLag’s Claw, Tequatl, and the Shatterer, with FPS in the single digits. I’m remembering pre-Scarlet’s attack LA, and how packed things were in front of the bank. Why do you think they rearranged things the way they did? Just to make it prettier? Some of the design choices they made were to spread the population of LA around, instead of leaving it clumped up in one spot.

While GW2’s servers are pretty stable, they’re not perfect. Anet has been pretty smart about building in safety features to avoid instabilities like over population, by having overflow servers, just to name one example. Putting dueling in an instance is another possible solution. Whatever is decided, I seriously doubt it will be open world dueling. If it is, you can feel free to send me a PM gloating about it.

TLDR: This isn’t my first rodeo.

4. I have talked before about logical fallacies, yet you seem to be determined to make apples to oranges and strawman arguments. So let me restate my point in a way that will make it clearer:

The goal of adding a new feature to a game is to do so in such a way as to expand enjoyment of the game, without detracting from the current ways to enjoy the game. The feature you would like to see added, judging by the feedback of players other than just myself, is one that has some pretty negative aspects to it. I, and some of the other players in this thread, have decided to focus on ways that would maximize the positive, and minimize the negative, if Anet does decide to seriously consider adding dueling.

This thread is discussing the idea. You seem determined only to belittle my arguments, without offering any counterarguments. This is neither discussion, nor is it productive, since all your arguments boil down to, “my way or the highway.”

As a result, I have nothing further to say to you. I hope that if they do add dueling, you are able to enjoy it, even if it doesn’t take the form that you want.

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

Hi guys,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents in here regarding dueling..

My main activity in these types of games is pvp, I enjoy gearing and pveing but my end goal is always to be prepared to pvp. I like to roam around finding people to fight against and see who comes out on top. This is just how I enjoy games.

Another thing to note is that I am a content creator, I make montages and the like of pvp and one of my big things for including dueling is variety and Flexability. When I’m creating a pvp video I scout cool looking areas to pvp in that are scenic, balanced for both people and makes for an entertaining clip.

Within the restrictions of a guild hall or the same structured environment this quickly loses variety and becomes predictable and boring. The ability to duel anywhere would let me create varied and exciting content to let people know about the game showing off its environment.

I like the idea of an auto decline duel button so those not interested in.dueling don’t need to worry. In my opinion dueling would allow people interested in that area of pvp to enjoy it and not take away from the pve experience at all.

And for me it would allow my videos to be varied and let not only the community but new potential players see how cool pvp can be and how amazing the world looks.

Thanks,

Vci

I see your point about the lack of variety. Not sure how to address that, without open world dueling. I can tell you that an autodecline feature does nothing to stop people from harassing you via /say, /map, or /whisper, to duel them. I ran into that problem in WoW, whenever I went into a city. By the way, at the time, cities were the only place you could access your bank, use the auction house, or get your mail. I’d like you to think about that, for just a moment. Every single time you go to check your mail, put something in the bank, or hit the auction house, somebody is whispering you, “come on, duel me. Just duel me bro. Don’t be a p—-y. Duel me!” So on and so on, until you finally get tired of being interrupted and you accept. You destroy him in 27 seconds, go back to what you were doing before, and then he starts pestering you for a rematch. You can’t ignore him, because you’ve already filled up your ignore list with goldsellers and other dueling kittens. Just to pull an example out of thin air.

Sorry, getting tired of this argument, especially since some of the folks in this thread think that no one’s ever played another game, except them. Or that anyone who has a different point of view could possibly have any valid experience that contradicts their personal bias.

Back to the variety thing…what about just banning dueling from major cities. You know the instanced cities, like LA, DR, RS, et cetera. I still don’t think that’s ideal, though. You could always have various arenas to duel in. Maybe an instanced arena for each city, with a portal from each city to it’s arena? Sort of like Polymock is supposed to be set up. You could even have a dueling lobby with portals to all the major cities, with the city arenas arranged radially around the central hub. Have each arena represent an aspect of the environment that each city is set in.

BC: dusty plains
Hoelbrak: snowy mountains
RS: jungle/swamp, or maybe underground to represent their origin in the deeps?
LA: an island, maybe?
DR: Forests
The Grove: jungle

That would seem to cover most of the terrain types for GW2.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

2 & 3. Empirical observation

Snipped off the offtopic wall of text.

4. I have talked before about logical fallacies, yet you seem to be determined to make apples to oranges and strawman arguments. So let me restate my point in a way that will make it clearer:

The goal of adding a new feature to a game is to do so in such a way as to expand enjoyment of the game, without detracting from the current ways to enjoy the game. The feature you would like to see added, judging by the feedback of players other than just myself, is one that has some pretty negative aspects to it. I, and some of the other players in this thread, have decided to focus on ways that would maximize the positive, and minimize the negative, if Anet does decide to seriously consider adding dueling.

This thread is discussing the idea. You seem determined only to belittle my arguments, without offering any counterarguments. This is neither discussion, nor is it productive, since all your arguments boil down to, “my way or the highway.”

As a result, I have nothing further to say to you. I hope that if they do add dueling, you are able to enjoy it, even if it doesn’t take the form that you want.

2 & 3. aka. you are pulling this out of your pile of poo. I can do this too: ANet has a megaserver system that puts players into another map if it gets overfilled. WoW can’t do that. Therefore, ANet won’t feel the impact of lag. In your hypothesis this means, I should be lagging a lot when I playing a MM build How do I know? Because empircal oberservation of whatever crap you are talking about.

4. So, if people gets a negative impact, then ANet should remove/not add the feature. Okay. Remove WvW, PvE, PvP, Zerk because I get negatively impacted all the time.

5. I counter your arguments by saying, “Its not even a big problem.” with “Every other aspect of the game has all these same problems.” But you chose to belittle and ignore the problem in the other aspect of the game. All your complaints comes down to “My way or the high way.”

in PvP

runeblade.7514

I see your point about the lack of variety. Not sure how to address that, without open world dueling. I can tell you that an autodecline feature does nothing to stop people from harassing you via /say, /map, or /whisper, to duel them. I ran into that problem in WoW, whenever I went into a city. By the way, at the time, cities were the only place you could access your bank, use the auction house, or get your mail. I’d like you to think about that, for just a moment. Every single time you go to check your mail, put something in the bank, or hit the auction house, somebody is whispering you, “come on, duel me. Just duel me bro. Don’t be a p—-y. Duel me!” So on and so on, until you finally get tired of being interrupted and you accept. You destroy him in 27 seconds, go back to what you were doing before, and then he starts pestering you for a rematch. You can’t ignore him, because you’ve already filled up your ignore list with goldsellers and other dueling kittens. Just to pull an example out of thin air.

Here is what I would do in Guild Wars 2. It might actually work for you. I have done this with goldsellers, beggars, and harassers and it has 100% effective rate. Report them and put them in the ignored list.

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

2 & 3. aka. you are pulling this out of your pile of poo. I can do this too: ANet has a megaserver system that puts players into another map if it gets overfilled. WoW can’t do that. Therefore, ANet won’t feel the impact of lag. In your hypothesis this means, I should be lagging a lot when I playing a snipped irrelevant attempt to advertise your youtube channel How do I know? Because empircal oberservation of whatever crap you are talking about.

4. snipped irrelevant rant

5. snipped irrelevant rant

I changed my mind, I do have one further post to make to you in reply. I have snipped your arguments that are completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread. This is unlike your previous posts, where you apparently have no response to my on-topic arguments, so you edit them out in your response.

This behavior is called cherry picking and is a sign of someone who either has a weak argument or is trolling.

So, allow me to respond:

2. I have seen dueling in other games. It always occurs most often in high population areas. Why should this be allowed? Prove that it won’t affect anything or anyone. If you have anything to base this on, other than pure speculation and wishful thinking, by all means enlighten us all. I, at least can offer anecdotal evidence based on my own experience. You offer nothing but the assertion that I’m full of it. That’s an ad hominem argument and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

3. “Do you work for ANet? How do you know the state of ANet’s server? This sounds like BS.” Your argument applies equally to you as well as to me. Once again, you speculate, but at least this time you try to offer some support. By spouting the official Anet line about the megaserver. That’s seems a little odd, given that your signature and other posts seem to indicate a dissatisfaction with Anet.

I believe that I have made it clear that I am not against dueling in general. I’ve even made suggestions for how I believe Anet could make it interesting and fun and have only positive impacts on peoples game play experience. Try making your case for why you should be allowed to go duel people in the BLTP or on top of the Mystic Forge. How about around the Accountancy WP in Rata Sum? Make your case why you deserve to have as big a public audience as possible. I predict that instead of doing just that you’ll continue to attack me and snip out any arguments you don’t like.

Better hurry, though. I’m pretty sure the mods will lock this thread soon, since it’s gone off topic and is unproductive.

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

i think dueling is a good idea. always thought it weird it isn’t in gw2. i played swtor for a while and i only ever got a duel request once in that neutral traders city. i declined and never saw the person again.

i should have been brave enough to fight him, next time i thought, but i never got another request

in PvP

runeblade.7514

2 & 3. aka. you are pulling this out of your pile of poo. I can do this too: ANet has a megaserver system that puts players into another map if it gets overfilled. WoW can’t do that. Therefore, ANet won’t feel the impact of lag. In your hypothesis this means, I should be lagging a lot when I playing a snipped irrelevant attempt to advertise your youtube channel How do I know? Because empircal oberservation of whatever crap you are talking about.

4. snipped irrelevant rant

5. snipped irrelevant rant

So, allow me to respond:

2. I have seen dueling in other games. It always occurs most often in high population areas. Why should this be allowed? Prove that it won’t affect anything or anyone. If you have anything to base this on, other than pure speculation and wishful thinking, by all means enlighten us all. I, at least can offer anecdotal evidence based on my own experience. You offer nothing but the assertion that I’m full of it. That’s an ad hominem argument and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

3. “Do you work for ANet? How do you know the state of ANet’s server? This sounds like BS.” Your argument applies equally to you as well as to me. Once again, you speculate, but at least this time you try to offer some support. By spouting the official Anet line about the megaserver. That’s seems a little odd, given that your signature and other posts seem to indicate a dissatisfaction with Anet.

I believe that I have made it clear that I am not against dueling in general. I’ve even made suggestions for how I believe Anet could make it interesting and fun and have only positive impacts on peoples game play experience. Try making your case for why you should be allowed to go duel people in the BLTP or on top of the Mystic Forge. How about around the Accountancy WP in Rata Sum? Make your case why you deserve to have as big a public audience as possible.

2. Dueling will affect other players just the same way Gold, PvE, PvP, WvW, and 100 other features affect players. If I am worried about petty harassment or some other minor negative impact, I would go complain about removing gold, dungeons, pvp, wvw, and other toxic features.

3. I don’t work for ANet, but I can make stuff up with unsupported answers like you did.

I don’t see why not have it in the Lion’s Arch area or whatever you are worried about. But I would like to see the cities being alive or duel while I am waiting on a queue or a friend. In a high population area, I can easily find a dueling partner instead of traveling a hundred miles to find a random players to duel with me.

(edited by runeblade.7514)

in PvP

tinymurder.5791

2. Dueling will affect other players just the same way Gold, PvE, PvP, WvW, and 100 other features affect players. If I am worried about petty harassment or some other minor negative impact, I would go complain about removing gold, dungeons, pvp, wvw, and other toxic features.

You continue to compare features that already exist to a single feature that doesn’t exist. This is a flawed argument from the start. Removing those features, which are already core to the game, is also significantly different from adding a new feature. Any way you look at it, your argument is neither relevant, nor productive to the discussion on this thread. You keep arguing as if I am opposed to all dueling. I have already stated on multiple posts that I am not opposed to dueling in general.

3. I don’t work for ANet, but I can make stuff up with unsupported answers like you did.

Except that is exactly what you’ve done. I cited examples of what I have observed in one of my previous posts. It was in one of the sections you snipped as “irrelevant” as you cherry-picked my post.

I don’t see why not have it in the Lion’s Arch area or whatever you are worried about. But I would like to see the cities being alive or duel while I am waiting on a queue or a friend. In a high population area, I can easily find a dueling partner instead of traveling a hundred miles to find a random players to duel with me.

So, finally we come to a straightforward answer. You want something to do while you wait for your fractals queue. Fair enough. Personally, I think that if they allow it in the major cities, it should be in it’s own area. The arena that was almost due north of the Bloodcoast Ward WP, maybe. Not my first choice of implementation, but we will obviously have to agree to disagree.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do if they don’t allow it in cities or even in the open game world? I mean on one hand, hey dueling is here, but on the other hand, it sure ain’t what you want. Seriously, I’m not messing with you, I’m honestly asking. Can’t go back and forth with someone like we have without being a little curious about the other person’s mindset.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

You continue to compare features that already exist to a single feature that doesn’t exist. This is a flawed argument from the start. Removing those features, which are already core to the game, is also significantly different from adding a new feature. Any way you look at it, your argument is neither relevant, nor productive to the discussion on this thread. You keep arguing as if I am opposed to all dueling. I have already stated on multiple posts that I am not opposed to dueling in general.

Not really. There are games that does away with PvE or PvP. Guild Wars 2 can certainly do without PvE, as sPvP and WvW don’t integrate. Same with WvW and sPvP respectively. ANet can remove gold and make karma or the other hundreds of currency they have as their main currency.

Except that is exactly what you’ve done.

And you too.

So, finally we come to a straightforward answer. You want something to do while you wait for your fractals queue. Fair enough. Personally, I think that if they allow it in the major cities, it should be in it’s own area. The arena that was almost due north of the Bloodcoast Ward WP, maybe. Not my first choice of implementation, but we will obviously have to agree to disagree.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do if they don’t allow it in cities or even in the open game world? I mean on one hand, hey dueling is here, but on the other hand, it sure ain’t what you want. Seriously, I’m not messing with you, I’m honestly asking. Can’t go back and forth with someone like we have without being a little curious about the other person’s mindset.

I would be very annoyed and continue to ask ANet to put Dueling in the cities as I have nothing to do while I wait for the party list to fill up.

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

i remember waiting for 2 hours between twisted marionette events because i didn’t want to miss being on a full server.

I was jus two bored. if there was dueling, i culd have don that while waiting. but instead i think i jus afk, and came back to gw2 every 20 min or so so i wouldn’t git kicked for inactivity

similar w/ vinewrath when first released, altho the wait was never that long. dueling pepole while waitin wuld have ben coo

in PvP

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The corollary to that is that just because you want it doesn’t mean that the rest of us have to be subjected to it.

If you aren’t making a case for you position, you are not contributing to the discussion. By continually restating your case all you do portray yourself as a child who keeps saying, “wanna candy! wanna candy! wanna candy!” You can do better than this.

If you can’t convince people over these two simple points, you will never be able to convince anyone that you aren’t looking for a way to stroke yourself in public. I’m not trying to be rude, but that’s what this entire thread looks like. If it isn’t the case that you just want an audience while you destroy people, then prove it.

1. I cannot do anything while waiting for JW/Teq or world bosses or guild missions or events to start, so I’m just standing around doing nothing when my friends and I could be having some fun. If I leave to goto a custom arena, I am restricted to PvP gear and will likely miss the event or not be able to get back into the map, if I leave to goto the GH and do it, I miss the event or cannot get back into the map. Sometimes you can be standing around in a specific map for hours just waiting for an event to start. Not fun.

2. I do not care less about kicking anyone’s bum in public or teaching PvP skills, or even actually winning the duels, but my friends and I would like to be able to do it with our down time in PvE without having to leave the map. Mostly, I enjoy duelling because it makes me a better player and improves my reflexes and tactics and strategy for key bindings etc. You don’t improve by winning as much as losing.

I really don’t see it even happening in crowded places, because you want open ground so that there are fewer distractions, other animations, other effects or just random people running past. Take Teq for example, nobody is going to duel near the zerg because they would not be able to see what was going on, same goes for near the bank or TP in LA. They will move away off to the side. If people wanted to troll you, they can already do that by spamming skills and animations in crowded areas, how much of that do you see going on?

There should also be an option to check so that you are able to even be invited to duel, an icon should appear on your effects bar for that.

You know, I think most of the time I would spend duelling would be with a couple of mates doing random things in PvE and at the same time, having a bit of ‘friendly fire’ going on and having a laugh about it.

What sucks now is that we actually mock do it, dodging and everything like shadow boxing, its just nowhere near as fun.