[Suggestion]Turn vanilla into Elite Spec?

in PvP

Posted by: uri.6521

uri.6521

Hi guys

I was thinking for a while about the new concept Anet took on the Elite Specializations, and how vanilla trait lines doesen´t have one, this (oviously) created the (sligth) perception that vanilla is underpowered VS Elite Specs, so i came out with this wild idea, ill just share it with you to see what you think.

As introduction, quick review of main problems

Spec Ops = OP
Vanilla = UP

Why?

Elite Spec= Direct upgrade from vanilla because it adds stuff but doesn´t take stuff from you.

So, my solution is this

As you can remember, there is only 1 line where you can choose the Elite Spec, so i suggest turning the core vanilla line (The one that previusly improved profesion mechanic (IE. Beastmastery for Rangers)) into a Elite Spec.

What does this change do?

I´ll give you a example for ranger/druid, to clarify as much as possible.

Beastmaster: Choosing this line allows you to choose Two pets instead of one and use shouts.

Druid: Choosing this line allows you to use Staff, gylphs and gain Acces to Celestial Astral Form.

If you choose another non Elite line instead your name will be kept as Ranger.

Results

Ranger= Most probably not optimal
Beastmaster= Current Vanilla Ranger
Druid= Current Druid with no shouts and 1 pet only

Probably adding some buffs / nerfs to druid like the followiing:

1.Increase cooldown on Celestial Astral Form skills.

2.No longer requires full Meter to enter Celestial Astral Form (Lets say now minimun is 10%).

3.Nerfs to related traits like Druidic Clarity (3 conditions instead of full cleanase) and Celestial Shadow (probably removing super speed and leaving just stealth).

4.Increase Astral force gain from damage and healing (Probably even allowing it while in Celestial Astral Form).

5.On pet swap traits are activated when entering Celestial Astral Form.

6.Poison master applies buff to current pet when entering Celestial Astral Form and so on.

It would require more balancing of skills and traits to make up for this change, but you get what im trying to do with this.

Please tell me what you think im very open do discussion.

in PvP

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

I like the idea but rebalancing all that stuff would take a long time. So I don’t know if it would solve anything.

And just to mention it: (not that we had something like that in the current metagame, but:) This would significantly reduce build variety.

in PvP

Posted by: foste.3098

foste.3098

i suggested something similar more than 6? months ago

What if the trait line that enhances your profession mechanic was turned in to a elite specialization (discipline, trickery, soul reaping, beast mastery, illusions, tools, invocation, virtues, arcane). This way they can giving us some build diversity (before another expansion), you ether stick with the vanila elite specs (and therefor the base class name) and 2 other core ones or the HoT elite spec (and change to the different class name) and 2 other core ones.
Of course there would have to be some rebalancing done to make the ‘new’ vanila elite competitive in power to the HoT elite, but we can all agree that the game is in need of balance as is so it woild not be a big deal.

The reason i bring this idea up is because thees specializations are used in almost every build anyway (most warrior builds take discipline, every thief pick trickery, every guardian build pick up virtues, infact only mesmer, engineer and ele do not pick theirs currently) and by making them elite the players would be forced in to a choice, and non HoT players will have access to a competitive build. This is assuming they balance them according to the power level of HoT elite specs, and every future elite spec.

this idea makes too much sense not to do, which is why it will never happen. Because the sole reason for making elites op is to push HoT sales and this would make it so you can do pvp just fine without HoT.
Just face it core classes are dead in the water, the situation is go elite or gtfo and will always be like that. I just hope the next expansion does not introduce even more op bs elites in order to push its sales.

And just to mention it: (not that we had something like that in the current metagame, but:) This would significantly reduce build variety.

what build variety? every one uses the exact same builds, the ones that are braindead and have lots of aoe and passives. If anything this cahnge would force some build diversity given the right balance because every class will have 2 builds at least.

see no evil ,until i stab you

(edited by foste.3098)

in PvP

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

what build variety? every one uses the exact same builds, the ones that are braindead and have lots of aoe and passives. If anything this cahnge would force some build diversity given the right balance because every class will have 2 builds at least.

Well, given the “right balance” Hot builds wouldn’t be OP.

If Anet decided to balance core specs, there would be no need to turn class mechanic traits into elites.

You suggestion is not adressing causes but symptoms.

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Well removing a core trait line is actually the worst thing you can do. The first reason is because the new mechanic can be similar to the old one. Take reaper for example with your example we would have to remove soul reaping. However reaper still needs life force, cooldown reduction on it’s shroud skills,… . So the reaper line has to address these issues leaving little room to diversify. So reaper basically became soul reaping 2.0 in terms of traits. So much for a new way of playing.
Second issue is that in terms of diversity trait lines are actually balanced. In other words pure on traits there are equal amount of HOT trait combination as non-hot combinations. I could explain the maths but it is a bit long but you can quickly write out the trait line combinations yourself since what traits you pick don’t matter.
Third issue is that you just created a second elite spec which you are practically forced to take for the same reasons you just said which could be considered a downgrade in build diversity.

Well, given the “right balance” Hot builds wouldn’t be OP.

If Anet decided to balance core specs, there would be no need to turn class mechanic traits into elites.

You suggestion is not adressing causes but symptoms.

Not really, if every skills/trait had around the same power elites would most likely still come out stronger, because more options->better options->power creep. Especially because the only thing elites lose is triple core line combinations.

EverythingOP

in PvP

Posted by: uri.6521

uri.6521

Thanks for the responses guys
I really that the only solution to reduce de power imbalance between vanilla builds and current and future Elite Especializations that are to be added, i really hope a change like this comes some day.

Sadly, like foste said, new specializations added to the game are made intentionally more powerful than vanilla (and potentially HOT ones) with the only purpose of increasing sales.

But in the end, im confident that Anet wont be involved in such practices again, since they are a very respectable company and they know that such movements only create anger, elitism and racisim between the playerbase.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

non-solution. The Core profession mechanic line on some classes is more important than the elite, and on other classes the core profession mechanic line isn’t as vital.

Also you’re misunderstanding why elites are always taken. Elites are taken because if a build wants to use any of the new abilities, or any of the new profession mechanics, then that build absolutely must have the elite.

If you want elites to not be mandatory then HoT abilities and weapons should be unbound from the elite line.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

If you want elites to not be mandatory then HoT abilities and weapons should be unbound from the elite line.

This. But of couse carfuly looked at.

in PvP

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

or people can stop being cheap and support the game and buy the expansion.

No monthly subs, no forced real money transaction that makes others better except by buying the expansion. You don’t even have to spend even a penny in any of the gem store items like mobiles games that p2win.

The one and only time you really need to pay Anet is when you buy the game once every 2 or 3 years, is that too much to ask. Support can only go so far, without money involved businesses won’t survive.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

(edited by J envy.5270)

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

This doesn´t help build diversity unless Anet invests the money in that way …

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

or people can stop being cheap and support the game and buy the expansion.

No monthly subs, no forced real money transaction that makes others better except by buying the expansion. You don’t have even to spend even a penny in any of the gem store items like mobiles games that p2win.

The one and only time you really need to pay Anet is when you buy the game once every 2 or 3 years. Is that too hard, support can only go so far without money, businesses won’t survive.

I share the same sentiment.

It’s $50. Such a low budget investment for the amount of play time you get.

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub