Suggestions to help drastically improve PvP

in PvP

Posted by: DingDongDooleeDum.4987

DingDongDooleeDum.4987

1. Create real “Team Arenas” that requires 5 players to subscribe to a ‘permanent’ roster, like in World Of Warcraft. Allow players to have a maximum of 2/3 teams so that players can learn to develop and progress as a team and not constantly switch between teams.
Create a rating and ranking system that can be viewed in game with certain statistics (win/loss) along with it.

2. Make “Seasons” that last 3-4 months with rewards (titles/special gear) at the end of the season. The higher the rating/ranking, the more prestigious the reward (e.g. Gladiator -> Duelist -> Rivalist, etc…)

3. A tournament at the end of every season inviting the top 16 teams for a “Playoff Invitational” with special rewards for the winner/2nd place.

4. Give more incentive for both casuals/competitive PvP players to play PvP. Currently, the daily/monthly rewards we get from PvP are things that we don’t need. We don’t need crystals or slivers, or salvage kits, or glory boosters. A way to incentivise PvP would be to reward players with gold/gems/tokens to exclusive gear only available to PvPers.
For example: a set of gear that costs 100 PvP Tokens which can be obtained from dailies/monthlies/team arenas mentioned above.

These suggestions have been met with general approval from the mist’s population. I hope this thread can be read by a Dev. These things are needed for the PvP in this game to move forward.

-Davinci

Guardian – Davinci
Team [SYNC]

in PvP

Posted by: Exaryon.6354

Exaryon.6354

quote quote quote quote

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

I agree with all of these points
+1

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

You beat me to it Davinci, this is a must do if you want to really bring life to competitive side of PvP.

I would also look at Team Que merge for EU/NA, this would dramatically improve 24h coverage of Team Arena. Atm NA has very small amount of teams playing and if something isn’t done soon it’s going to die off.

But a solid Team Arena with seasoned laddder would be good.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

1. Create real “Team Arenas” that requires 5 players to subscribe to a ‘permanent’ roster, like in World Of Warcraft.
-Davinci

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-look-at-upcoming-pvp-changes/
(Check on Solo Arena -part)

<<Initially, we’ll continue to allow partial rosters of fewer than five players to queue for Team Arena, but once the Looking For Group system is live, we may change the Team Arena to require a five-person roster to enter.>>

in PvP

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

Your first three suggestions are great for culturing a competitive pvp environment, but those are all contrary to gaining the interest of casual players, meaning you will have fewer casual gamers in the pvp environment as a whole.

The set rosters means a casual needs to commit to playing with a group, and have to show up regularly, something that kept me personally out of arena in WoW as it’s difficult to schedule such and be on time.

Seasons pose a similar problem, and also make any casual players (or people without good pvp friends) lose out on those monthly rewards, turning them further away from that section. Obviously 3 is in this same vein, but is the most viable, simply because everyone like to watch the best teams go at it.

Four is Richard Nixon (tricky ducky), as it’s hard to reward this pvp environment. Gold is useless for many, though it could help with obtaining gems, gems are considered rather valuable by Anet, since it’s one of their biggest money makers, and they are rarely handed out for free (sans the currency exchange). I would definitely like to see a way to earn PvE skins in PvP without having to grind out all of the events, and tokens does seem like an effective way to do so, but I personally still like the rng chests, where you can break down the cruddy gear and make what you want to make.

My two cents, as always, feel free to disagree.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Your first three suggestions are great for culturing a competitive pvp environment, but those are all contrary to gaining the interest of casual players, meaning you will have fewer casual gamers in the pvp environment as a whole.

The set rosters means a casual needs to commit to playing with a group, and have to show up regularly, something that kept me personally out of arena in WoW as it’s difficult to schedule such and be on time.

Seasons pose a similar problem, and also make any casual players (or people without good pvp friends) lose out on those monthly rewards, turning them further away from that section. Obviously 3 is in this same vein, but is the most viable, simply because everyone like to watch the best teams go at it.

Four is Richard Nixon (tricky ducky), as it’s hard to reward this pvp environment. Gold is useless for many, though it could help with obtaining gems, gems are considered rather valuable by Anet, since it’s one of their biggest money makers, and they are rarely handed out for free (sans the currency exchange). I would definitely like to see a way to earn PvE skins in PvP without having to grind out all of the events, and tokens does seem like an effective way to do so, but I personally still like the rng chests, where you can break down the cruddy gear and make what you want to make.

My two cents, as always, feel free to disagree.

For the moment who care’s about “casual players”, there not one’s leaving the game due to lack of competitive TPvP, you will always have the casual player but you need to retain the competitive player by offering a better environment for Team Arena.

Think about it, if there was a competitive ladder for team’s (like Guildwars 1 ladder) your going to get allot more team’s playing and large amount of casual players will become competitive player as there is great rewards for being apart of a team.

Currently there is no reward for starting a team, so why not offer better system. Take look at PvE’ers they get heaps of new content and action to keep them going. Improve competitive TPvP or it will always be causal environment and there is no point to playing it anymore.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Daily – weekly – monthly automated tournaments. For the love of God, bring this back!

This will encourage people to form teams. Ofcourse this will only work if the rewards are up to par. So I’m very curious to what reward overhaul you got in store.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: DingDongDooleeDum.4987

DingDongDooleeDum.4987

Bump.
15 chars

Guardian – Davinci
Team [SYNC]

in PvP

Posted by: Midnattsol.4503

Midnattsol.4503

Spot on, spot on.

I feel like I don’t matter in WvW and just roaming around on my Thief gets boring. PvP is where I wanna let out my competitive nature, but as it stands right now It’s just too plain, too boring.

The lack of any strong competitiveness, or the fact that It’s almost pointless to form a team for PvP really sucks. No Guild Vs. Guild, no other game modes, no exciting rewards…

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

Thanks for the feedback, all! The points that Davinci has brought up are definitely ideas we have discussed internally. I know that after the Invitational, we’re hoping to get more things going.

We just finished Solo Arena, which was something that was highly demanded before. We’re now moving on to the next project. We can’t just randomly conjure this stuff from thin air, so keep in mind that we do have a schedule, but will make adjustments if necessary.

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

And to add to what Allie said, some of these ideas are already on the schedule…and already have some elements being worked on.

Can’t give ETA’s, but we’re thinking a lot of the same things you guys are.

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Hawatak.8049

Hawatak.8049

Thinking or doing, small or huge difference ?

Sangoria

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Thinking or doing, small or huge difference ?

…and already have some elements being worked on.

Did you miss that part?

in PvP

Posted by: Hawatak.8049

Hawatak.8049

I didn’t miss the part where he said “we’re listening your feedback on the necro” on the state of the game, but apparently until PAX we won’t have any meta change, even if majority of players in pvp are complaining about the current meta.

Sangoria

in PvP

Posted by: BlackhawkSOM.6401

BlackhawkSOM.6401

Geez allie no need to delete my post when I was editing it…anyway without the caps.

Incentive is a big thing in mmorpgs theres simply is none in spvp except for the absurdly long goals of grinding ranks which is meaningless because it does not demonstrate or show off skill just how much you grind.

Just as pve is creating more rewards such as champion bosses and their loot spvp should have more rewards. Something a long the lines of individual play for solo queue and maybe a voting type of system at the end of a match where players can vote who was the most helpful in areas of the match I dunno something..

Retuxan-80 Ranger-Rank 40
Jade quarry, MoG

(edited by BlackhawkSOM.6401)

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

good, WoW-like PvP now we need rating based rewards and different modes then only conquest on top of what you said and everyone could be happy

btw good job with that random map, this will bring at least some aspect to make teams balanced for every map they can get and not specific for every map well, if they cant change characters

(edited by MaXi.3642)

in PvP

Posted by: Midnattsol.4503

Midnattsol.4503

We can’t just randomly conjure this stuff from thin air

This made me giggle ^^ and you are right, things do take time. Big or small, patience is needed. It’s just PvP has so much potential of being something so much more. Would hate to see it not reach It’s full potential.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Thanks for the feedback, all! The points that Davinci has brought up are definitely ideas we have discussed internally. I know that after the Invitational, we’re hoping to get more things going.

We just finished Solo Arena, which was something that was highly demanded before. We’re now moving on to the next project. We can’t just randomly conjure this stuff from thin air, so keep in mind that we do have a schedule, but will make adjustments if necessary.

I think from a competitive standpoint, the weekly, monthly, and yearly tournaments whether they be with qualifier points or not, should be your highest priority right now. Get the tournaments rolling after PAX so we’re not sitting in the mists for three months waiting for something to happen. ^^

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Spelling B Champ.3264

Spelling B Champ.3264

very good post i hope the devs take this to heart

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

Allowing dueling in the mists.

Seriously. If you want to get people into the mists and, in turn, into sPvP, you need dueling.

Dueling in the mists does a few things:

1. It makes the mists look more populated. Makes the sPvP scene look alive. Can foster and build PvP communities on a realm. Get people to know one another, and maybe become friends or group up.
2. People will be in the mists. People will probably queue for sPvP more because of that.
3. PvErs love dueling. In World of Warcraft I knew plenty of people who didn’t like PvP, but they loved to duel.
4. GIVES PVPERS SOMETHING TO DO WHILE WAITING FOR QUEUES!!!!

I would implement dueling in unique, spectator-fun way. People love spectating duels, but in a lot of games it’s hard to spectate duels because they are spread out over a lot of land.

1. Make a colosseum in the mists, complete with elevated bleachers to see over the entire arena. The arena should be large enough that 10+ duels could be carried simultaneously. Put a waypoint there so people can zone into the mists and get to the colosseum instantly.
2. Only allow dueling in the middle of the colosseum. The arena is not a free-for-all. It’s a target-someone-and-initiate-duel-between-two-people. (Think World of Warcraft and flag dropping from the sky)
3. Spectators can sit on the bleachers and watch duelist and maybe learn a thing or two!

I’m never going to stop suggesting non-instanced dueling. This game really needs it, and it’s been requested since BWE #1.

(edited by Gilgamesh.2561)

in PvP

Posted by: Reax.1806

Reax.1806

My suggestion: PvP Arena (Deathmatch) / Duel mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Izzy Katsu.6024

Izzy Katsu.6024

I really like the seasonal idea. I suggest the reward could be a special PvP title or some such. That would definitely give me motivation to PvP everyday, even though I already do, lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

Hmm. You bring an example of permanent arena teams from WoW. But didnt WoW just removed permanent teams in most recent patch? It now works like in GW2, you can queue with anyone without need of forming teams. I guess Blizzard had their reasons to make this change?

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

Hmm. You bring an example of permanent arena teams from WoW. But didnt WoW just removed permanent teams in most recent patch? It now works like in GW2, you can queue with anyone without need of forming teams. I guess Blizzard had their reasons to make this change?

That’s interesting! I haven’t followed WoW in ages but if they did actually do that I’m surprised.

I like the idea of GW2’s “soft teams” (as I would call it, as opposed to “hard teams”), but I still think a “soft team” should be able to be formed more easily and also have an actual name associated with it.

How about a team template system? You form a regular team, then you can save that team as a template and give it a team name and maybe an icon (I would say the leader of the group is the one who gets the dialog to pick a team name and icon). You can of course have multiple team templates with different rosters. Then, if you are ungrouped, there could be an interface to “Queue as a Team Template” and you select your team template and it will attempt to group all those players and queue you up.

(edited by Gilgamesh.2561)

in PvP

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Can we get a flat-out team deathmatch? I enjoyed Team Arenas in GW1 until they gave the players the ultimate slap in the face scrapping it, ( along with Hero Battles no one cared about that one though ) for Codex Arena.

in PvP

Posted by: tiko.9206

tiko.9206

+1 great ideas. Please introduce a proper QP system with daily and monthly tournaments… Please take a look at guild wars 1 please please please

I Am Elementalist – Ele for [CroW] – tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

1 stat that mitigates condition damage and one boon that reduces condition damage, like toughness/armor and protection, voila the conditions are not broken anymore.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in PvP

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

rather than teams, we should just have a guild ladder. you can belong to multiple guilds anyway so it has the same benefits as teams without needing additional systems.

in PvP

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Its kind of off subject, but i think t would be nice if there was a rating for the conquest we have now, but also a seperate rating for how good a person is at combat (because in conquest team strategy is more important than combat imo).

I really looove the pvp in gw2, but i just never do random tournaments unless i have 4 friends i can play with. I feel so useless when i do tournamenets with pugs, when we lose theres just nothing i can do >_<.

I really hope theres maybe some rated duelling or other things to measure personal rating… Currently pvp for me is just jumping in hotnoin and running around and killig people (i dont even bother capturing points). I still like the combat though!

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in PvP

Posted by: Oniverse.5146

Oniverse.5146

Dota 2 -like chat wheel with simple commands.

You basically press a bind and a circular grid pop ups in the middle of the screen. Then you hover over the command you want to announce and release bind. Very easy.

Now that solo que is in game i think it would be a great addition. Commands such as “Help Mid!”, “Help Node A!” or “Help me destroy enemy trebuchet!” for instance.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

The WoW arena team system had a lot of problems in 5v5. For most, it was impossible to get the same five people online and able to play at any time week after week. Even with extra slots on the team roster, there was still a lot of team-hopping. That’s partly why they switched 3v3 to the primary format. Sure, fixed 5v5 team rosters are great for the very top, but for the majority of players, the current system is more inviting. If it’s possible to have both the current system and fixed rosters, that would be ideal.

If you want to add PvP-only rewards, then the scoring system and the dailies need changed. Both encourage bad play, in particular the “Capture 3 points” Daily. Multiple people sit on a point until it caps so they get credit, which is the complete opposite of what you want to do in a competitive setting. Defending a point has poor rewards compared to zerging around or just fighting other players in the middle of nowhere.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

Imho the main problem why teams break apart so fast is because a team needs 5 players.

Forcing them to create consistent teams wont fix that imo – its simply too many ppl. Especially in pvp where emotions flare all the time anyway.

If you check out wow 2v2 arena has the most players playing it .. then 3v3 … then somewhere way back its 5v5.

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

Dota 2 -like chat wheel with simple commands.

You basically press a bind and a circular grid pop ups in the middle of the screen. Then you hover over the command you want to announce and release bind. Very easy.

Now that solo que is in game i think it would be a great addition. Commands such as “Help Mid!”, “Help Node A!” or “Help me destroy enemy trebuchet!” for instance.

great idea!
lets take the same keybind as for drawing and pinging on the minimap

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: rmBossa.4621

rmBossa.4621

Most of the current issues with spvp (mainly the competitive side like the new Solo q / leader boards) stem from a lack of population, with the current population being very jaded.

So now would definitely be time for incentives.

Ive always thought Anet missed a huge opportunity to do this through back items. If you look at all available back items every one is only obtained through extensive PvE play, with the exception of the guild banners; which to be blunt, noone is fond of in either sphere of the game. (also not including gem store as a viable method).

You could whip up some PvP exclusive back pieces and use rankings on the leader boards as the method for obtaining them. For example achieving top X% of all ranked players gives you access to certain ones. This would give the rewards a sense of prestige which is something very much lacking within the spvp community.

Currently skins no longer have this prestige value as the tourny skins are super easy to get, and the rank skins just prove how long you can withstand hot join. I believe the closest thing we have now is wearing a “Champion Legionnaire” title while playing another class. Doesnt cut it.

in PvP

Posted by: MINKZILLA.6023

MINKZILLA.6023

Well I agree with this I think what we really need is Team death match maps and capture the flag. varying up the PvP and making it x10 more awesome!

“Every quote you hear on the internet is true.”
-Abraham Lincoln

in PvP

Posted by: Super Riceman.8702

Super Riceman.8702

I think they should lower the max # of players in hot-join to 10 that way it is more similar to tournament pvp and people will learn more from it.

There is only one god and its name is nerf. There is only one thing we say to nerf, not today

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

in PvP

Posted by: Tage.7045

Tage.7045

Make the game 4free otherwise i dont think gw can be more popular

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

I support Davinci’s ideas. +1

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

AB/JQ/FA/HA……..

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Asuraball gamemode

That was so kittening epiq !!!!!!
Gogogo Bikini Team !!!!!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Kugkug.8795

Kugkug.8795