Supporting must be recognized by the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Leon Trotsky.3674

Leon Trotsky.3674

I mean, no matter how many boons I give to my teammates, how much I heal them or how many conditions I remove.

Unless I waste my wonderful supporting potential as both a Guardian and Elementalist (professions I play most) running around tagging/killing foes, I get no glory. Literally.

Rewarding glory for successful supporting would also be a plus for teams to make better strategies, since as of now, it is just plain dumb butchery or no glory.

in PvP

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

Agree, also in pve events.

all is vain

in PvP

Posted by: Ecliptica.7509

Ecliptica.7509

100% with you…

I am also surprised that ArenaNet has not thought of this.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

This is one of the big things I thought Anet would’ve learned from WAR Online, including DE’s.

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I agree with this so much.
Utterly weird they made the point system in pvp as it is. It’s like it suddenly wasn’t Anet anymore but they just copied some standard point system without giving it any thought at all.

And of course in pve it’s the same: less rewards for support on DE’s indeed.

Sure, they don’t want ‘healers’, fair enough.
But whatever you do as support while doing damage too, that support bit should be rewarded just the same.

Spvp is turning into a burst dps only game: just run with the pack, tag everything and kill fast.
Forget support, forget defense, just zerg and keep moving with the others and dps… only dps.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

I agree. The points system promotes all out attack specs that roam from point to point, and thusly promotes more chaotic 8v8. Very few even care if they win in 8v8 as a result, and only zerg to farm glory, which both makes the mode:

1) Hard to test your new builds in a realistic environment

2) Hard to play in your bunker/support/control build since you don’t get rewarded for it

I think when the put custom games in it will help, but even so, I think there should be a 5v5 hotjoin, along with new mechanics to rewards support and defense with glory points.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Rhydian.5412

Rhydian.5412

There are plenty of good support and or healing specs out there that manage to get 200 or more point games, however you will not be rewarded for dropping healing spring and then dying or standing behind a wall casting healing rain. And there is plenty of points to be made off Resurrections but that would require you to actually get into battle and rez people as apposed to trying to passively get points for casting a few heals and running away. Game is not holy trinity, if you try to build an all or nothing heal spec be prepared to be disappointed because almost every spec has a heal that effects other people even thieves heal you when they use Shadow refuge. However they do alot of other things while in shadow refuge not just sit there waiting for free points to tick.

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

There are plenty of good support and or healing specs out there that manage to get 200 or more point games, however you will not be rewarded for dropping healing spring and then dying or standing behind a wall casting healing rain. And there is plenty of points to be made off Resurrections but that would require you to actually get into battle and rez people as apposed to trying to passively get points for casting a few heals and running away. Game is not holy trinity, if you try to build an all or nothing heal spec be prepared to be disappointed because almost every spec has a heal that effects other people even thieves heal you when they use Shadow refuge. However they do alot of other things while in shadow refuge not just sit there waiting for free points to tick.

I don’t think anyone so far is referring to an all or nothing heal spec… or is anyone referring to anything reguarding a holy trinity. Primarily it’s lots of disappointed bunker specs who keep a point all game amidst several attacks and have roughly 35 points to show for it, while the zerging thief gets 300.

In other words, you run with the pack, you get points, otherwise, you’re SoL, in the current formula for 8v8.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

Ele can make a strong healer similar to a healing monk while guardian would be more like a prot monk.

You just don’t call them healers because they do other things, but there are healers, they just don’t have to be dedicated to healing for that class like it’s the only thing they do.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

in PvP

Posted by: Dabu.1258

Dabu.1258

you want an infinite glory farm?

make a thief and kill them all

in PvP

Posted by: Pimpslapper.2047

Pimpslapper.2047

I hate playing healers and supporting roles.

BUT, I do agree with the OP. One solution could be to grant points to the supporter for boons he has added to someone who kills an enemy? Not per boon or anything, but if he boons the whole team and they kill a bunch of people he should share in the glory IMO. This for Spvp of course.

in PvP

Posted by: rainbowstylin.1358

rainbowstylin.1358

I hate playing healers and supporting roles.

BUT, I do agree with the OP. One solution could be to grant points to the supporter for boons he has added to someone who kills an enemy? Not per boon or anything, but if he boons the whole team and they kill a bunch of people he should share in the glory IMO. This for Spvp of course.

+1’d

Im surprised this hasnt been added regardless. Along with this, a failsafe would just be to add a cap to the points earned for assisting and killing a player. Everyone gives out buffs to the group including heavy dps/burst builds. This way everythings on even ground and points are distributed evenly.

in PvP

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

No, absolutely no. Not every class can do all of these things, the Spvp is already covered with guardians/mesmers and elementalist. You get bonus for reviving a team mate, that as far as bonus should go. I wonder why people who have everything always want some more. Jeez!

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

No one would lose anything, people going for the kill would still get the same points.

If you would try to play a support role in spvp, you would notice what we talk about.
A supporter ends up with very very low points, compared to all the dps’ers out there.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in PvP

Posted by: Scarlett.1549

Scarlett.1549

Agreed, needs more reward

in PvP

Posted by: Allarius.5670

Allarius.5670

I largely agree with Rhydian. I think most of us agree that getting points for what Rhydian described would be disastrous to sPvP. In all honesty, the OP does not make this distinction … actually, they mention wanting glory points without tagging or assisting directly in kills, which suggests they are promoting exactly what Rhydian described.

Support roles in GW2 are combat oriented; if you are assisting solely by casting heals, boons, and boon removals, then in most cases you are not contributing in a significant way to the outcome of the skirmish (the exception might be when you are up against an epidemic, condi dmg necro). You also need to be contributing directly to the team’s damage output.

I hate the notion of the zerg that happens in almost every 8v8 too, but what is the alternative? This is a very delicate balancing act … if you give points to defenders then there is a chance that the hotjoin meta changes to promote point holding and denial. Suddenly games become stagnant and lack any forward momentum because people will hit a defended node and bounce off. Bunker builds will then become the norm and no one will die. I’ve seen this in many games already without points being awarded for bunking … unless you count the match win bonus.

I do not think the current point awards are perfect at all, I’m just saying we need to be careful what we wish for. If I had to choose I would promote the zerg, even though I hate it, because at least that way you get the feeling that something is actually happening and you are getting somewhere.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Yet you can do that with a dmg spec and be rewarded for it. I’ve done it alot, hide behind a wall, spam aoe, get top score lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

I completely agree, you should win points by defending a point, too (when fighting others inside one). In pugs everyone is a roamer, in tournies point defenders get little glory and the ones assisting fill their pockets.

in PvP

Posted by: Obi.9365

Obi.9365

I agree with this only simply because it seems to encourage everyone going Glass Cannon specs in hotjoin, which makes hotjoin simply annoying to play..

Other then that, as long as your support = your team killing kitten in tournys, it equals wins which I have no problem with. I will sacrifice glory for a win in a tourny, but atm this issue seems to not support, support in hotjoin. Which imo has to kill the fun factor for a lot of people.

Example. I dont want to play a cannon, or pure tank, but for leveling my rank in hotjoin, I will play a spec, and or class I dont enjoy for glory..