Taking beast at beginning in Ranked

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

Just had a Ranked match in Forest of Nifelel.

Before it starts, I say to my team

“Let’s not take the beast in the beginning, take MID instead.”

After an exchange, a ranger replies: “BEAST WINS MOST MATCHES NUMBSKULL”

Can someone please explain why you would want to start with the beast rather than mid?

Attachments:

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Hm. I think getting mid is more important in the beginning. The attribute point bonus might help win the fight for mid, if the beasty can be killed fast and the team compositions are right… I guess? I generally think it is too risky at start of match.

If you take beast at wrong time, it can mean a loss for your team, for sure. The best time to kill beastie is when when you know enemy can’t get to it, and you are not needed on point and are out of position close to beastie. It happens from time to time.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i can’t because you don’t.
anyone wasting time killing the beast instead of trying to get mid is just plain stupid. if you are sure you can take mid with 3 people you might delegate one person (and not a single more) to kill it (however, you always risk it being stolen if there’s f.e. a thief in the other team).
the beast is rather used to get some additional points after you wiped the enemy or are sure to hold those points you have. i’d never even consider going for the beast if there’s even one enemy on a point i want to have or keep.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Try to look at it from the eyes of a beginner guys.

The NPCs award points, and give you a buff. Who wouldn’t want that?

It takes a higher level of understanding of the both the map and conquest mechanics to get that securing mid is important.

How would you guys suggest we go about teaching this to players?

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

It takes a higher level of understanding of the both the map and conquest mechanics to get that securing mid is important.

Make the beast spawn later, or making it hit harder (no more hp since it would only make it worse!).

Although in my opinion; if you can kill the beast in 3-4 seconds with 2-3 guys before heading mid, 50 points CAN give you a substantial advantage, so dunno why ignore it tbh.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Don’t hide MMR’s so the people with bad MMR’s have less room to argue with the higher MMR players =\

…I’m being serious

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Don’t hide MMR’s so the people with bad MMR’s have less room to argue with the higher MMR players =\

…I’m being serious

^

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Still better if they go for it and kill it than they are killed by it xD
Also I think it could just spawn later, after its normal respawn time – 3 minutes.

in PvP

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

4 close dude, THAT MLG TATICS RIGHT THERE didn’t you know it?
GO back PvE noob

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t really see a problem with the beasts’ current spawn time. It just requires education for them to know that you should only go beast if you are the type who normally pushes far AND have the damage to take the beast out quickly. (In which case, you can then go and reinforce mid afterwards with a minimal time investment and a stat boost for your team). Alternatively, just leave the beast to the person who capped Home, if nobody from the enemy team has come over.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Could we get a little tutorial window to pop up at the beginning of each match with a basic strategy and mechanics explanation for the map. It might seem obvious but a reminder to the effect of: “A captured position gains your team 1pt per second so you will quickly fall behind when the opposing team holds more points than you!”

I often find newer players chasing objectives or that annoying peck-and-run-like-bolt warrior around the map for a 5pt kill for 45 seconds, if you get the idea. Simply stating the obvious about the benefits of holding points would be helpful.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I’m no pro but I usually try to get 1 home, 2 beast->mid, 2 mid at start. That:

a. prevents the other team from stealing usually.
b. allows your team to not let mid get capped.
c. allows your team to get the small stat buff.
d. allows me as an engi to hold mid with my multiple invulns until backup arrives and
e. if time allows, sneak over to their creature, magnet it, and pry bar for the steal.

I usually solo queue and this seems to work decently. Again though, I’m bad so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt.

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I have tried to explain it. Many times. And yet I’ve been called a noob nearly as many times for it, by players who proceed to lose because of it, sometimes getting sniped multiple times. It’s simple math. Assume you get both teams beasts killed at start, and then twice more after they respawn. Cool, 25 points x 6 kills = 150 points. That’s great. But it takes 500 points to win a game. Where are the other 350 points going to come from? If you hold 1 point through the whole game while doing that, chances are you’ve still lost, because the the enemy probably had a 2cap through most all of it. And yet I still get matched with these people. I’ve seriously considered afking when I get teams that go for beast at start and get sniped and lose mid, because the chances of winning with teammates like that has got to be way less than 5%…

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Tips in game, like pve, same thing when you’re low health and a big arrow appears on your heal in pve, a Big “X” + advice appear on svanir/chif at beginning/when you cap a node in 2+/ when you try to kill a single guy in 3+ etc.

Basically a live tip on common mistakes and to explain maps mechanic.

Of course you can disable this option (activated by default for new players)

Another cool stuff for new players (but i think for everyone) it would be a dynamic counter (on mini map) to count how many players are involved in a fight. Very usefull when there is a mesmer involved in a 3+ teamfight and you don’t have voice communication.

Combo example:

Forest, a guy wants to kill svanir at beginning, when he is close to him a big X appears on svanir with the tip :“remember, to not leave Your mates outnumbered!!!”
The guy looks the mini map and the dynamic counter (close to mid node) says “3vs2”

So the guy realizes is a fool, maybe it’s too late but at least he learnt something

(edited by MarkPhilips.5169)

in PvP

Posted by: Tris.8327

Tris.8327

If the beast timer is only 10-20 seconds later, it still means the close capper can go for it after cap, without taking away players from that precious mid teamfight.

in PvP

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

The absolute first thing you need to do is get rid of personal score completely. Before you can teach new players good habits, you need to stop encouraging the bad habits.

in PvP

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

I guess I am one of those noobs, I had nothing to do with sPvP until the new monthly reward system. But my impression of that map was that optimum strategy was to send three to mid, and two to beast on their way to home, so that the team that’s grabbing and defending mid has the buff, so that they’re not fighting enemies who are buffed when they’re not. It delays the points from owning home for a few seconds, but I thought it was worth it because it made it easier to hold mid. Where was I wrong? Is the buff that minor?

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

I guess I am one of those noobs, I had nothing to do with sPvP until the new monthly reward system. But my impression of that map was that optimum strategy was to send three to mid, and two to beast on their way to home, so that the team that’s grabbing and defending mid has the buff, so that they’re not fighting enemies who are buffed when they’re not. It delays the points from owning home for a few seconds, but I thought it was worth it because it made it easier to hold mid. Where was I wrong? Is the buff that minor?

the buff is very minor when compared to effective point rotation and favorable numbers in each fight. the monster should be killed for points, not buff, which means after a team fight was won, or if it’s late-game and the score is close, or if you’re losing and desperate to comeback. Or if you see the enemy trying to kill it.

in PvP

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

Make it spawn like 2 minutes in?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP:

Also depends on your team comp. Given how broken a lot of specs are right now, it is pretty obvious who is going to win the mid fight before it even starts.

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

4 to mid and home point gets it after capping?

To be honest you can solo it pretty quickly anyway. And 4 ppl can arguably kill it with almost no delay in getting to mid (with buff).

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

“1 close 1 animal 1 far rest mid”

;)

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

There are some things best learned from other players. I learned from experience, and I’m sure others can too.

Like I always say, if you don’t queue with a full party, you can hope for the best, but you must prepare for the worst.

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Mmm, I dunno. The times I’ve seen that strategy used it usually turns into:

1. The Far runs into the enemy Far pusher and start fighting near the beach.

2. The Homes are capped respectively.

3. Enemy pushes 3 to mid, which overpower the 2 there. Guy who kills beast either stupidly joins in late and also gets killed, or runs on to other beast.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

When we run a team, 1 person goes home 1 to beast, 2 to mid and 1 to far. The person home goes to help with beast and usually we do pretty well. The 2 we send to mid are the bunkers. If you have good players you run with a system the beast is a big boost. Sometimes we get 3 cap and basically own the game. Since we got a 3 cap and bonus from beast if everything goes right.

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I think to help newer players it would be a really good idea to delay the spawn of bosses until 60 seconds into the match.

That prevents them from even having the option to make a bad call at the beginning of a match.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

as a thief myself, i just stopped trying to fight it. i know the other team will do it too, so i just SR during prebuff and steal their kill, then rush to mid while they’re mad and desperately seeking revenge :P and in the off chance they skip it, i’ll just decap far to take players from the mid fight.

maybe if we steal enough kills they’ll stop it.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Primary objective: Capture points (conquest)
Secondary objective: Buffs

Necromancer Main

in PvP

Posted by: Jinx.7258

Jinx.7258

What if a beast can be spawned only if you meet certain requirements? If you get a double cap the beast will spawn on the other team’s end. Example: If blue team has their close and mid nodes capped, beast will spawn on the red team’s end? And rewards double (50) points when killed?
If the side nodes are capped by one of the teams, the two beasts spawn toghether(on each side).
Beasts disappear (even if they r engaged into a fight) when requirements are not met.

If these requirements are not there, no beasts will spawn at all.

#VoTF4Life

in PvP

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I was once in a team in which ranger went to home, necro went to beast. Necro proceeded to die at beast, ranger went to help necro and down simultaneously. Somehow by a miraculous chance, ranger was able to rally off beast. My friend and I was just laughing quietly…

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in PvP

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Do the opposite. Increase the stats awarded by 100% for killing the beasts so teams will be more inclined to try for steals/get it at start for the stat advantage in mid fights. Also, decrease the duration of the buffs but increase the amount of times the bosses spawn.

Bad Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Let them not spawn directly at the start of the match, but later into it. Maybe how about after two minutes into the game?

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Ferik.3127

Ferik.3127

…I’m being serious

^

Casual player of all races, classes and genders
Champion Slayer | sPvP Rank 90
Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I applaud the many aspects that Smite has. At every patch you can watch a video about either new content, tips, announcers talking about a past tournament, etc. When you first start the game there’s a step by step gameplay tutorial. It doesn’t just talk about basic UI functions.

This isn’t a moba game and it sure doesn’t play like one (thank goodness!). But regarding certain core aspects like node holding, not fighting off point unless defending, grabbing stillness, or going sides because enemy team’s about to get Tranquility, these are the concepts that videos should be showing, or announcers should be talking about.
There should be a gameplay video, or some type of newbie friendly tip tutorial on very specific aspects in TPvP.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I think the beasts are fine the way they are, the problem with them is entirely because of amateur player behavior.

Newbies screw up matches by going for them when they shouldn’t all the time. Yesterday, I was helping one of my guildies learn about PvP, and after two matches, he said that he hadn’t realized people were saying things in chat. This guildie isn’t new to the game by any means, he simply hadn’t realized that communicating via chat is important, so he was doing things like going after Svanir when we knew that the enemy thief had just claimed the mine, and walking into 1v2 fights with no one around to back him up.

I think the solution here to to emphasize communication and teamwork to newer players, so they can learn faster and stop making strategic mistakes like focusing on secondary objectives when help is needed at the primary objectives.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in PvP

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

You don’t. Did Anet provide instructions for dungeons? Tips and tricks to beat Lupi? Did you give a list of boss mechanics and how to counter them? No.

Teaching boss/map mechanics should not be taught be Anet at all, whether through pop up tips, or instructables. That burden falls on the players. If someone is interested in learning how the map works, then it’s up to them to seek out other players that will teach them. I know there are guilds that do PvP training and instruction. Just like Dungeon teaching guilds, and WvW teaching guilds.

Anything designed to teach players about a certain map, or boss mechanics put in place by Anet will be viewed as “dumbing down the game”. And it will in fact be just that. Can you imagine, doing your first Arah run, and when you approach Lupi in all his glory, a little cinematic plays and says “watch out for when Lupi raises his hand!” And a little pop up window comes up saying “don’t let him eat the grubs, and dodge the red circles!” Yeah not so much.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in PvP

Solstice.1097

You don’t. Did Anet provide instructions for dungeons? Tips and tricks to beat Lupi? Did you give a list of boss mechanics and how to counter them? No.

Teaching boss/map mechanics should not be taught be Anet at all, whether through pop up tips, or instructables. That burden falls on the players. If someone is interested in learning how the map works, then it’s up to them to seek out other players that will teach them. I know there are guilds that do PvP training and instruction. Just like Dungeon teaching guilds, and WvW teaching guilds.

Anything designed to teach players about a certain map, or boss mechanics put in place by Anet will be viewed as “dumbing down the game”. And it will in fact be just that. Can you imagine, doing your first Arah run, and when you approach Lupi in all his glory, a little cinematic plays and says “watch out for when Lupi raises his hand!” And a little pop up window comes up saying “don’t let him eat the grubs, and dodge the red circles!” Yeah not so much.

this is way off-base. putting a tutorial in-game is not the same as dumbing the game down. we aren’t some secret society hording knowledge for our own exclusivity. that attitude does not belong anywhere near pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

This is not just beginners. This happens all the time with players with thousands of matches played. This happens all the time with players ranked highly on your fraudulent grind it up leaderboards. I don’t know how you can teach or get people to do want to do it the right way but its sad either way. You can win well over 50% of matches right now just by starting out 4/1 (4 middle and 1 home) split on just about every map and yet it rarely happens. I know because I play mid point bunker 100% of the time. Half the so called experienced players don’t care to understand conquest. You try to be helpful at the start and you are met with crickets or abused. Then when things continue to get worse and you are the one that gets angry you become the bad guy for asking for some discipline. All I know is you do an awful job getting players to understand or care about conquest. Your average noob wants to pew pew and that doesn’t change for most of them 10 games in or 100000 games in.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

pdavis.8031

this is way off-base. putting a tutorial in-game is not the same as dumbing the game down. we aren’t some secret society hording knowledge for our own exclusivity. that attitude does not belong anywhere near pvp.

There is a difference between a tutorial and walking through specific map mechanics. A PvP turtorial would be more along the lines of: This is how the stats work, what the amulets are, how gear, traits, and objectives work. A walkthrough would be more like: On this map, (say skyhammer) your team needs to control the skyhammer in order to win. Defend Skyhammer at all costs. Also there are certain parts of the floor that look like this (shows picture) If you stand on them for too long they break and you fall through. Don’t forget about the jumping boosters! (shows picture) these will allow to to jump much higher and reach the upper levels where you can gain a significant advantage. For this map, stability and knock backs are going to be vital, so make sure you have some of those available, remember Fear is your friend.

I am not saying we should hold back knowledge at all. If someone comes on and doesn’t know how a certain map works it’s up to the player to ask and to learn. Most people will gladly help out and teach if asked. But that burden is, and should be, on the players. Again, it’s not like Anet gives us any tutorials on dungeons, and specific boss mechanics. If a new player wants to run the dungeon, and learn how to beat the boss, there are plently of people more then willing to teach.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Solstice.1097

There is a difference between a tutorial and walking through specific map mechanics. A PvP turtorial would be more along the lines of: This is how the stats work, what the amulets are, how gear, traits, and objectives work. A walkthrough would be more like: On this map, (say skyhammer) your team needs to control the skyhammer in order to win. Defend Skyhammer at all costs. Also there are certain parts of the floor that look like this (shows picture) If you stand on them for too long they break and you fall through. Don’t forget about the jumping boosters! (shows picture) these will allow to to jump much higher and reach the upper levels where you can gain a significant advantage. For this map, stability and knock backs are going to be vital, so make sure you have some of those available, remember Fear is your friend.

I am not saying we should hold back knowledge at all. If someone comes on and doesn’t know how a certain map works it’s up to the player to ask and to learn. Most people will gladly help out and teach if asked. But that burden is, and should be, on the players. Again, it’s not like Anet gives us any tutorials on dungeons, and specific boss mechanics. If a new player wants to run the dungeon, and learn how to beat the boss, there are plently of people more then willing to teach.

If Anet agrees with you that it’s the player base’s responsibility to teach even basic knowledge of how PvP works, then the least they should do is include an in-game link to the appropriate forum topic/place to actually get help from the player base.

I’m not saying spoon-feed all info to players is necessary, but making the information easily accessible through the in-game UI is the least that should be done.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

If Anet agrees with you that it’s the player base’s responsibility to teach even basic knowledge of how PvP works, then the least they should do is include an in-game link to the appropriate forum topic/place to actually get help from the player base.

I’m not saying spoon-feed all info to players is necessary, but making the information easily accessible through the in-game UI is the least that should be done.

Basic knowledge of PvP can be done through a simple tutorial. And in fact there is one. Capping points, stomping players, etc. As far as strategies, builds, tactics, map mechanics, No. Those things vary too greatly by player to even be considered to be included in any type of instruction by Anet. Sure they could include a link to the forums for advice, but then it becomes a matter of Anet endorsing X build, or Y playstyle/strategy. (Or at least a perceived endorsment). If anything, just a link to the forums in general for more information would be the best way to go. Let the players seek out which information and advice they need.

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

in PvP

Solstice.1097

That’s all I’m saying. A simple in-game button can suffice. “Click here for strategy tips from successful players”

Strategy information needs to be available or at least easily accessible through the in-game UI.

the forum stickies might need a little cleaning up and/or organizing, but the player base has the knowledge – Anet just isn’t really doing anything to encourage it or increase it’s accessibility. I’m guessing a lot of newer players probably don’t even realize this forum exists, or forgot that it does.

in PvP

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

http://i.imgur.com/GIho4eB.jpg?1

This was not a hotjoin match.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Why not add in some cutscene-style tutorials for new players?

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

There lies in the problem.

You are matching beginners with people who have 1k+ games on their account who understand the game better.

Example of one of the silliest things I have ever seen with beasts in Forest was yesterday a Mesmer and Necro crossed the beach somewhere around the 10 minute mark. An Ele on my team left me 1v2 and attacked the beast even though he clearly saw the mesmer. I never seen something as crazy as that before.

The ele did kill the beast and immediately died, I had to leave the point, they capped it and kept it capped for a few minutes. The Ele probably didn’t even realize he traded 25pts for 5pts to the other team and whatever pts the team gained in the few minutes they had our home capped.

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

Start by not giving 25 individual pts for something that has very little benefit to the team’s efforts. It’s common to see players abandon the capture objectives in order to push for both mobs at any point in the match simply because it gives them 25 pts and pushes them up the scoreboard – which leads then leads to finger pointing.

Personal scores in general should be removed, if only because of how misleading they are. If nothing else, secondary objectives should not provide more points than the primary objectives. Reduce from 25 points to 10 points. Or even better, 0 points – just grant the team points and stat buff. At least then the reward is comparable to it’s actual strategic value.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Solstice.1097

Having the beasts spawn 30 seconds later in the match would be the easiest improvement that could be immediately made.

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

depends on what type of play tbh. in a premade v premade ye go for mid. In most pugs there isn’t any real good bunkers to hold pts so the diff. often IS the beast.
This is really the problem with the whole game . GW2 is balanced and designed for high end team v team pvp but the way the maps are setup and how things work like beasts teaches people to play bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Pie in the sky idea …

Step 1) Implement the ability to record and play back matches. Not just how it was in GW1 but actually be able to rewind/skip ahead/etc., something like what is available in SC2.

Step 2) During the playback enable an optional comment and analysis mode where it will provide advice on what you should be doing based on what all the other people in the match are doing. Since this is a play back the analysis and advice can be based on both past and future events in relation to the current point in the play back.