Team DeathMatch / CTF Ideas

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

-Test out separate queue for TDM/CTF- (Team Deathmatch / Capture The Flag)

TDM:

• Remove queue for Stronghold.
  • Add Courtyard to TDM map selection. (possibly make map slightly larger)
  • Alternate maps: Remove side nodes from Legacy of the Foefire and Eternal Coliseum and add revamped maps to TDM Map Selection.
  • New mechanic: Single node in center of map that fully self decaps automatically over 1 minute (cannot be stalled). Points will not accumulate on kills by either team if middle node is not captured by any team, once captured, both teams will gain 5 points per kill. Additionally, the point-controlling team gains 1 point every second for the 1 minute duration.

Possible CTF Alternative:

• Flag will spawn just outside both team’s spawn area and must be carried to the center of the map and planted (channel ability) gaining 2 points every second while controlled.
  • Flag carrier gains armor, regen and speed buffs periodically every 10 seconds.
    -This will create a fight scenario similar to Temple of the Silent Storm Tranquility buff.-

Reasoning for middle node and objectives focusing around map center:
Mainly to prevent spawn camping, having players needing to retreat or approach the middle of the map prevents snowball situations where an entire team will sit outside spawn and farm kills. In TDM, if noone watches mid and it decaps automatically, kills will gain no points and a team will require to either retreat or place themselves in a 4v5 to send 1 person to capture mid.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

What does TDM stand for?

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

team donkey mating?

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

What does TDM stand for?

Team Death Match

I figured it was a common enough acronym, I will add it in then.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Ziggityzog.7389

Ziggityzog.7389

Team Dath Match is really the only true pvp. This circle zerg in middle on all maps is not pvp and it’s finally showing. With Cap the circle all you do is force teefs to be useful when normally they arent. You make the game about a speed race and not actual pvp.

I’ve had games where not one player could kill me yet i’ve lost how does that work? Because i didn’t sit on a circle or i got zerged off of it.

Come on anet step it up. Gw1 PvP was the highlight of pvp in the day.

Edit: So i just played a game where most of the time i was fighting and holding 1v3s and somehow my team kept dying from simple 2v1s. Such a bad game mode. I’m just going to head back to stronghold where its at least fun pvp. Unranked conq is getting boring now lol sad anet sad. Why was Gw1 pvp so bad?

lol’ing at thos who use broken builds and claim to be good since 2005.

|||Necro the masterclass very few know about.|||

(edited by Ziggityzog.7389)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

TDM is, in my opinion, an awful mode. Courtyard was one stomp after another with spawn camping being the standard tactic.

It was ugly and I was unfortunate enough to get the map while introducing a friend to PvP. He vowed never to return and he hasn’t.

It’s dead and buried. May The Six vouchsafe that it remains so.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

TDM is, in my opinion, an awful mode. Courtyard was one stomp after another with spawn camping being the standard tactic.

It was ugly and I was unfortunate enough to get the map while introducing a friend to PvP. He vowed never to return and he hasn’t.

It’s dead and buried. May The Six vouchsafe that it remains so.

I personally looooove when someone uses courtyard as an example of why team death won’t work. The only thing that argument tells me is how clueless that person is about said topic.

Did courtyard have its own ruleset to make it successful? No

Did courtyard have its own que? No

A perfect anology to this is taking olympic swimmers out of a pool and throwing them on a baseball field and then expecting them to swim. Good luck with that. I’m sorry but you’re just completely ignorant of the situation.

@ OP – You’re beating a dead horse my friend. Although I’d like a new game mode for this empty shell of a game, any many many people “myself included” have posted threads about new game modes, but the devs care about the pvp in this game as much as Ithilwen’s understanding of this topic, which is little to none.

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

So, a Team Death Match map, (the only one I’m aware of in GW2 PvP,) is not a good reference for talking about Team Death Match? I think you may have difficulty justifying that position.

Stronghold had it’s own queue. It was heavily used to exploit solos and make an easy path to “legendary.” This is exactly what I anticipate happening in a new TDM. So much for the separate queue argument.

Until recently, PvP itself didn’t have separate rules. That took 4ish years to accomplish. Demanding a separate mode with separate rules isn’t realistic or likely to be successful.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Trigr.6481

So, a Team Death Match map, (the only one I’m aware of in GW2 PvP,) is not a good reference for talking about Team Death Match? I think you may have difficulty justifying that position.

Stronghold had it’s own queue. It was heavily used to exploit solos and make an easy path to “legendary.” This is exactly what I anticipate happening in a new TDM. So much for the separate queue argument.

Until recently, PvP itself didn’t have separate rules. That took 4ish years to accomplish. Demanding a separate mode with separate rules isn’t realistic or likely to be successful.

No, you can reference it sure, however your argument falls flat. Again, for the 2nd time, it’s not a good argument to come to the conclusion that courtyard as a map “aka deathmatch”, failed because all they did was release a map.

Another very simple anology for this that you can relate to is like a baseball player with no bat but expected to hit a home run. Aka he didn’t have the tools required to meet that standard. Also using A-nets incompetence isn’t really an argument either in terms of what might come to be. While I may hate the way the game is now, but it’s not very productive to assume that there isn’t anything good to come because they’re morons when it comes to certain decisions.

But anyways, courtyard simply as a map did not have what it needed to be successful. If you can’t understand that, then there’s no point of me rewording this into 500 different variants before you wrap your head around it.

in PvP

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

For TDM to work on GW2 it needs to be turn based.

- Players that get stomped/killed can only respawn on the next turn.
– A turn ends when all players of a team get killed/stomped or the time limit is reached.
– 3 turns (best of 3 wins), of maximum 5 min each.
– First 2 turns can have a tie (time limit reached, same number of players alive on each team), third goes to overtime if there is still players on a team alive.
– Overtime applies penalties to players. Agony dmg, Revealed, Healing penalties… Stacking with time up to 5 min.

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

No, you can reference it sure, however your argument falls flat. Again, for the 2nd time, it’s not a good argument to come to the conclusion that courtyard as a map “aka deathmatch”, failed because all they did was release a map.

~snipped for brevity~

But anyways, courtyard simply as a map did not have what it needed to be successful. If you can’t understand that, then there’s no point of me rewording this into 500 different variants before you wrap your head around it.

So far, you’ve cited two things you say that TDM would have needed. One was a separate queue. The other was unspecified “separate rules.” I answered both, above.

I get that you claim that Courtyard was not an adequate experiment. What I don’t see is what you’re saying would have made it successful.

In the end, you still haven’t addressed the central problem with TDM. That is that it doesn’t feel good to get stomped hard.

Conquest mode removes that to some degree. It’s about holding points. When it’s about “killing” other players, it changes the emotional dynamic dramatically.

Let’s face it, we have enough issues with toxicity as it is. TDM would multiply them.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Trigr.6481

~snipped for brevity~

So far, you’ve cited two things you say that TDM would have needed. One was a separate queue. The other was unspecified “separate rules.” I answered both, above.

I get that you claim that Courtyard was not an adequate experiment. What I don’t see is what you’re saying would have made it successful.

In the end, you still haven’t addressed the central problem with TDM. That is that it doesn’t feel good to get stomped hard.

Conquest mode removes that to some degree. It’s about holding points. When it’s about “killing” other players, it changes the emotional dynamic dramatically.

Let’s face it, we have enough issues with toxicity as it is. TDM would multiply them.

You think the core problem with TDM is the possibility of losing? LOL…. If you can’t handle that then you shouldn’t be playing conquest, in which you can get rolled over by the way, or any sort of game with even the slightest competitive nature. You might as well play animal crossing, sounds right up your alley.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

we kinda have those.

TDM= courtyard
CTF = spirit watch (orb instead of a flag)
MOBA= stronghold (only has 2 lane lol )
GW1 pvp = foefire (defending/kill lord style)
CONQuest = well all of them. (good but gets boring when most maps are same w/ diff gimmick)

Gw2 if you actually look at it has a lot of game mode for pvp. that actual problem is its not done right. or should i say halfasses.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

I love TDM but they’d have to do some drastic changes, because eles and druids would dominate with their res capabilities which would cause never ending fights (classic example of why mana is a good thing instead of fix cooldowns)

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I think for TDM we need courtyard-like map with 3v3, less fluff, fixed terrain bugs, less camera obstructing stuff (hello plants, weird ceiling and co.) and no spawn.

For stealth camping they could add an orb ( just like in wow) – an object that spawns once every xxx min/seconds and enables players to see stealthed enemies for xx seconds.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)