Team MMR and Tanking MMR

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Arutha.9874

Arutha.9874

Hi a lot of people complain about opponents having a team with a few high MMR and a few low MMR so here are my solutions and I am not certain this isn’t the case already perhaps just a few number adjustments and less raging will make it feel better.
Please feel free to point out my mistakes as I would like to make adjustments.

Matchmaking should be done based on team MMR, this is fine as unless the low MMR person is actually a PRO your match will be balanced as if you lose a 5v4.5 that is your fault. Read on to see how to avoid PROs having low MMR.

Single, double, no pip should be decided based on personal MMR compared to team MMR: eg. Diamond, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Amber win vs. 5 Ruby. Rewards for this game should be Diamond 0 pips, Ruby 1 pip, Amber 3 pips. This means that Ambers will not remain Amber for long and Diamond will not advance until he is playing against an average Diamond team but can feed the lower ranks until there are equal players to play against. (Losses for other team could be based on spreads but that is complex)
(PS. In this paragraph I assumed that League standing relates directly to MMR)

Finally Arenanet should be able to work out a better system for awarding -3pips. Then if a person deserved a -3 pip for his performance when at a “safe zone” they should go -1 on the tier/division. This is not a big deal as they can win just one to go back but they would not have such safe zones to tank their MMR.
(PS. They do not earn the tier up reward again, it remains greyed out or shows the next one you need for rewards even if he is in Sapphire and next reward is Ruby 5)

PS. I have pretended to do work all day instead comparing HS win streak system to GW tier system assuming a 50-50 win rate, if anyone is interested I can post a few results.

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

How about a simple solution.

FOR LEAGUE PLAY, players are only allowed to group with other players 1 Division above or below their current Division.

Amber players can only be in a group with other Amber/Emerald players.

If there is a Diamond player in the group, other member have to be in Ruby or Legendary.

I’m sorry if this still results in long que’s, but in time other players will eventually populate the upper divisions.

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Arutha.9874

What about if the Diamond has an Amber friend that he wants to play with? I’ve literally have a friend who I’d like to play with now that is under rank 20 and it is already annoying me he can’t be in ranked.
My solution lets Diamonds help Ambers and other friends which is team building, and would punish them heavily for failing leading to an interesting mode.

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

I’m sorry, but this is LEAGUE play, not the company basketball league.

You want to play with your friend. You wait till he climbs the ladder like you did.

You still have Unranked and Hot Join to “play with your friend”.

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Arutha.9874

Haha I like your dedication but huh? This is nothing more than a company basketball league it is not like not reaching Ruby will delete your gw2 account?
Team building is what an MMO is for so do you believe your solution is more appropriate or mine?

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Actually, it is the “company basketball league”. The LEAGUE is the pro tournaments.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

You want to play with your friend. You wait till he climbs the ladder like you did.

What’s even the point with being so overzealous?
You can just have a weighted average MMR depending on division.
Simplified example:
Now:
5 diamonds:
5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 —> Avg 25/5 = 5 -> division 5
2 diamonds, 3 amber:
5 + 5 + 1 + 1 + 1 --> Avg: 13/5 = 2.6 -> division 2-3

Weighted arithmetic mean using the division as the weight:
5 diamonds:
5*5 + 5*5 + 5*5 + 5*5 + 5*5 / 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 5 -> division 5
2 diamonds, 3 amber:
5*5 + 5*5 + 1*1 + 1*1 + 1*1 / 5 + 5 +1 +1 +1 = 53 / 13 = 4.07 -> division 4

Math.
It works.
Good luck winning with 3 amber against a full team of ruby.
And it still allows you to play with friends.

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Love math!!!

/15 chars

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Ashron Valhalla.8369

Ashron Valhalla.8369

Unranked should accept all kind of team like “4 diamond+1 amber” or if u want “1 legendary,1 diamond, 1 ruby, 1 saphir, 1 emerald” but in ranked it should be restricted to average league +/- 1 league difference.

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Easy fix: Have the team MMR match the highest players MMR. It’s what League of Legends does.
In other words, if you are in Diamond with an Amber player, the game is going to put you against other Diamonds regardless of who you are queuing with. If you wanna play with your bad friends, play unranked or hotjoin. Ranked should not be the place to carry people from Amber.

Wanna know what also League of Legends does? Handles bugs quickly, balance fixes consistently, has SoloQ and is a real Esport. OOOOOOH, BURNED.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Ashron Valhalla.8369

Ashron Valhalla.8369

Easy fix: Have the team MMR match the highest players MMR.

Yeah sounds good.

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Arutha.9874

Easy fix: Have the team MMR match the highest players MMR. It’s what League of Legends does.
In other words, if you are in Diamond with an Amber player, the game is going to put you against other Diamonds regardless of who you are queuing with. If you wanna play with your bad friends, play unranked or hotjoin. Ranked should not be the place to carry people from Amber.

Dunno if everyone wants to have the ranked play be as toxic as League of Legends :-/
Please point out some flaws in my suggestions besides possible difficulty to implement?
I do believe mine lead to a more friendly community with the permission to help your low ranked players advance just with no reward to the Diamond ranked player.

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Dunno if everyone wants to have the ranked play be as toxic as League of Legends :-/
Please point out some flaws in my suggestions besides possible difficulty to implement?
I do believe mine lead to a more friendly community with the permission to help your low ranked players advance just with no reward to the Diamond ranked player.

Because there is unranked and hotjoin. If you want to play with your inexperienced friends yet don’t get them completely stomped on all game, do unranked or hotjoin. If you want your friend to climb the latter they will have to do it themselves.

A more friendly community starts with balance, bug fixes, a split between SoloQ and TeamQ ranked.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Arutha.9874

What’s even the point with being so overzealous?
You can just have a weighted average MMR depending on division.
Simplified example:
Now:
5 diamonds:
5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 —> Avg 25/5 = 5 -> division 5
2 diamonds, 3 amber:
5 + 5 + 1 + 1 + 1 --> Avg: 13/5 = 2.6 -> division 2-3

Weighted arithmetic mean using the division as the weight:
5 diamonds:
5*5 + 5*5 + 5*5 + 5*5 + 5*5 / 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 5 -> division 5
2 diamonds, 3 amber:
5*5 + 5*5 + 1*1 + 1*1 + 1*1 / 5 + 5 +1 +1 +1 = 53 / 13 = 4.07 -> division 4

Math.
It works.
Good luck winning with 3 amber against a full team of ruby.
And it still allows you to play with friends.

Hey ya I am fairly sure your solution is similar to what Match making actually does and I do believe, regardless of all the BS, that match making is working properly as long as there aren’t any Ambers who are actually Pros. The goal for match making is to recreate coin flips, always matching equal teams against each other.

However what you just suggested is leading to Diamonds playing against Saphires so it may be the case that the second team is actually better 25+9+9+4+1=48/14<3.5. So it is useful to the Diamond player. That is why I suggest nerfing his reward for this win.

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Arutha.9874

Because there is unranked and hotjoin. If you want to play with your inexperienced friends yet don’t get them completely stomped on all game, do unranked or hotjoin. If you want your friend to climb the latter they will have to do it themselves.

A more friendly community starts with balance, bug fixes, a split between SoloQ and TeamQ ranked.

Again point out one downside to implementing my suggestions because i can point out one of yours, it doesn’t lead to 50-50 games as DDDDD is matched with DAAAA. Match making should always replicate 50-50 games.

Team MMR and Tanking MMR

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Again point out one downside to implementing my suggestions because i can point out one of yours, it doesn’t lead to 50-50 games as DDDDD is matched with DAAAA. Match making should always replicate 50-50 games.

Not in a league system. “Always 50-50” means that noone gets past emerald. And in the proposed system, DAAAA would get matched with full diamonds only if you purposefully went in with a 5-man premade. Well, assuming that the system would work right, of course.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)