Tempest Defense does not work with L-Rod

in PvP

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

Tempest Defense which grants 20% damage increased to Stunned or Knocked-Down target does not work with Lightning Rod. In other word, the damage increase portion of Tempest Defense will not affect the Lightning Rod following a disable.

The testing I have been doing with a CC, Frostbow 5. On a Indestructible Golem. I was using Cleric Amulet for the sake of not critting. On that one, I used Tempest Defense (20% dmg increase). From the combat log, the damage goes into that order:

1. You hit target Golem for 776 using [Lightning Rod].
2. You hit target Golem for 630 using [Deep Freeze].

On the other attempt, I tried without Tempest Defense. Here’s the combat log:

1.You hit target Golem for 785 using [Lightning Rod].
2. You hit target Golem for 551 using [Deep Freeze].

As we can see, the Lightning Rod damage remains unchanged without or with Tempest Defense. But, the Deep Freeze damage is changed by the trait. The most important conclusion of this experiment is the order on the combat log. Let me explain. With that order in mind, Lightning Rod procs before the disabling ability; therefore, the target is never disabled while Lighning Rod procs. With that in mind, we can safely conclude that Lightning Rod does not benefit from Tempest Defense (except if the target was disabled already).

Another Major Issue

This issue also highlights another set of critical bugs for Lightning Rod.

When a foe attempts to dodge roll across Unsteady Ground (Earth Staff skill 4) and is disabled by Unsteady Ground, this trait’s lightning strike proc misses.

When using Conjure Earth Shield skills 3 or 4 (Magnetic Surge or Magnetic Shield), this trait’s lightning strike procs will be blocked if you disable a foe who is blocking, despite interrupting the block.

From the previous conclusions, it is easier to understand what happens with those bugs. In order:
1. The game registers that the target is going to be disabled.
2. Lightning Rod is casted.
3. Enemy dodges/block/evade the Lightning Rod.
4. Enemy is now disabled.
5. Enemy is now affected by Tempest Defense’s damage increase.
6. Enemy is now hit by the damage and effects of […] (if applicable).

Thanks.
I know it is a bug report, but I felt like it was important to educate other players about the issue.

Alerie Despins

(edited by Alekt.5803)

in PvP

Alekt.5803

Changed title to add clarity.

Alerie Despins

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I would have figured ice bow 5 just simply didn’t count as a Stun or Knockdown…

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Alekt.5803

Oh. It’s a disable. You get a damage increase once the target is in Ice. It was just one of the clearest example; Gust deals no damage, so I can’t illustrate my point.

Alerie Despins

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Oh. It’s a disable. You get a damage increase once the target is in Ice. It was just one of the clearest example; Gust deals no damage, so I can’t illustrate my point.

Ya, I was just referring to how the damage increase from TD only applies to targets that are stunned or knocked down, not all disables.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Alekt.5803

Oh. It’s a disable; it applies if you test damage against frozen enemies. You get a damage increase once the target is in Ice. It was just one of the clearest example; Gust deals no damage, so I can’t illustrate my point.

Ya, I was just referring to how the damage increase from TD only applies to targets that are stunned or knocked down, not all disables.

Icebow 5 counts as a stun. But still, Gust does not improve the damage of the Lightning Rod nor does Static field or Earth Line. Those are knock downs and stuns. You can replicate the bugs.

Alerie Despins

(edited by Alekt.5803)

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

There was a video of two eles killing each other because both had lightning rod and lightning aura.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Alekt.5803

There was a video of two eles killing each other because both had lightning rod and lightning aura.

This had been fixed.

Alerie Despins

(edited by Alekt.5803)