Thank you, Anet! (Not sarcasm.)

in PvP

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

I just want to start out by talking about my history with gw2. For the first year of the game, I pve’d and did a little bit of wvw. Nothing too major, just enjoying the game as a regular casual would.

For the second year, I stayed mostly in wvw. I mostly played ele and engi, and I wasn’t the best, despite me thinking I was at the time. (lol.) I could rotate and spam skills with d/d ele, 1 shot people with s/d ele. I could disengage with RTL whenever I wanted. (Oh, the old days.) Things were fun. So I stayed in wvw. This was pretty much my life in gw2 for most of the time.

Fast forward to ~august of last year. Then, I started playing thief. I joined a roaming guild, learned from some of the best, and honed in my mechanical skills. (To which I’m still improving to this very second, but before then I was at a plateau since the beginning of the game.) I could never get into spvp because I didn’t enjoy the game mode of conquest, nor did I enjoy facing 4 man pre-mades. It was dull. Then season 5 happened. Prior to season 5, I had only played 400 spvp games since launch. After season 5, I was sitting at 900 games played, and found myself ending up in top 250. Holy. Crap. I had never learned so much about this game until s5. Solo-duo queue made this possible. Someone like me can enter pvp and compete. You bet your kitten kitten I’m doing s6 right now and last time I checked I was ~r 90.

I just visit these forums from time to time and all I see is negativity. I don’t know what s1-4 was like. I’m not sure if people complained as much in s1-4 than what they do right now. I mean, the forums are just a place for people to go to vent, anyways. It’s not really a surprise. This thread is really just a thank you to the pvp devs. Thank you for opening up spvp to all players with solo-duo queue. I can’t express my appreciation enough, really. Yea, it’s not perfect, obviously. Nothing is perfect. But you guys are pushing the pvp in this game in a great direction. Keep up what you’re doing.

To the players: Please, I understand that we’ll get a proper poll again at the end of s6 to see if we keep solo-duo queue, but if you agree with keeping solo-duo queue then respond to the thread stating where you stand. If you disagree, then do the same. I find it unlikely that I’m in the minority on this, but I just want to get a litmus test right now because I very well might be… I’m not really sure.

Thanks!

I am a teef
:)

in PvP

Posted by: Kir Sakar.3647

Kir Sakar.3647

Thanks for a refreshing positive opinion, I agree.

I don’t have the long-term perspective. I have been in sPvP since S4 and did not have much motivation to play ranked back then. The mixed queue and the fact that there was no real competitive, transperent ranking system were not very appealing.

Season 5 changed that for me (300 games played, a lot for a casual like me). I am learning and improving since then and hope that solo-duoQ and the rating system are here to stay.

Charr Chronomancer | Asura Tempest | Charr Druid | Charr Guardian
(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Hell, the forum complaints this season are nothing compared to forum complaints from previous seasons. But then again, population feels lower than ever so less people coming to the forums to complain about a game mode they’re not playing. I must say, I love the direction they are going with PvP minus a few bad choices, but the matches this season just aren’t as good as last season due to the lower population.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

OP the truth is that the forums were created mainly as a means to contained all the negativity. Or at least that was the reason the former community manager gave us back on my guru days. Before all the anger was spread among multiple sites, while now it is mainly contained here.

The point being that the negativity is perfectly normal for an MMORPG.

in PvP

Posted by: Altie.4571

Altie.4571

In general, forums for any game are a cesspool.

But I do agree with the sentiment, gw2 is a really nice game. The combat mechanics are hardly matched by anyone else.

Every now and then I think of playing wow, but remembering that I had to target something to perform an action makes me go like “how ancient is that?”

The game has many more positives than negatives. True, they may have bit off more than they could chew by trying so many game modes at once, but I still enjoy it and will keep enjoying it.

When scientists discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed they are not it.

in PvP

Posted by: Kerivek.5740

Kerivek.5740

This is true. People are far more likely to come to the forums to complain than they are to praise. This is fine but it does create a false sense of negativity about the overall perception of the game. I personally have been playing S6 and having tons of fun.