The New CDI Topics

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi All,

The next round of CDI topics will be starting on Monday 17th February.

The topics will be as follows:

PVE: How would you like to see us evolve Fractals?- Owner- Chris Whiteside

PvP: What would you like to see from a League system? – Owner- John Corpening

WvW: What aspects of Edge of The Mists do you think could carry over to the rest of WvW and how? – Owner- Devon Carver

Bonus: Global: Professions: How would you like to see us evolve (profession: voting is currently underway) balance?- Owner- Allie Murdock

The CDI rules are as follows:

1: This initiative is all about discussion.
2: We will not be disclosing information pertaining to what is currently in development.
3: Anger and emotion will have less impact than intelligent discussion.
4: Together we will share and evolve design philosophies which will impact how we develop the game moving forward.
5: Aggression and disrespect to a fellow community member or developer will not be tolerated, and in the extreme could lead to the shutting down of the initiative.
6: The teams primary focus is work toward the development of GW2 and therefore posting of discussion and commentary may not be as frequent as you like. Please do understand that the initiative is taken very seriously by us all and that we will be reading the discussions and joining in as often as it is possible to do so.

Finally please note this is not a competition, either between yourselves or the developers in regard to one up man ship. The point of this Initiative is to work together to make the game better.

Note: We will disclose the ideas we do or don’t like as a group but we will not discuss schedules or timing around implementation. If there is still concern surrounding how seriously we take community collaboration then please do take the time to think about how much impact the community has had on the working of this game over the year.

Chris

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

I’m guessing Warrior nerfing or Elementalist buffing will be the profession picked if left to the PvP community.

I’m personally interested in changing Mesmer so it doesn’t rely entirely on Deceptive Evasion.

Call me Smith.

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Nothing.8564

Nothing.8564

PvP: What would you like to see from a League system?

A few things, like exclusive titles for the character that you’re playing, 150 leader board matches won as elementalist, thief, ect.

Unique finishers for the bracket tier you’re in, Gold finisher, Silver finisher, Diamond finisher ect

Unique weapons/gear (maybe legendary/ Ascended ) for top 2 tiers.

(edited by Nothing.8564)

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

[PvP] -Global
Theres been a too much of a power creep last year. An interesting point was brought up by someone, that people psychologically accept buffs easier than nerfs. I hope you can gather the courage and make 2014 a nerf year.

IMO a good place to aim was spring/summer 2013. Only that instead of Incendary powder getting a nerf it became the (minimum) standard.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

(edited by Flumek.9043)

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

PVP: What would you like to see from a League system?

I would like to see lateral competition. Players that want critical spacing in skill gaps.The players competing to move up leagues/divisions. I would love to see more defined skill tiers in the game with a system like this. Titles, weapon skins, armor skins, finishers etc. All of these things could separate top tier players from your average skilled player, or a person that only plays casually.

All of these things should make the league system dynamic and very critical to playing competitively in Guild Wars 2.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

(edited by EoNxBoNx.9213)

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

I’m personally interested in changing Mesmer so it doesn’t rely entirely on Deceptive Evasion.

I play Mesmer a lot in PvP, and I’ve never used Deceptive Evasion trait, so I don’t see how they rely entirely on it..

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I would just like to ask that you tone down the power creep.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

First of all you would need to have some kind of real balance or as close as you can get before you would start such a thing. Otherwise the leagues would mean nothing if people are running around with easy mode builds.

Make sure skyhammer isnt involved.

Give rewards that actually matter, exclusive finsihers, gold trimmed capes (if you guys can finally bring capes back) or some kind of exlcusive armor/weapon skins.

maybe gold bonus and so more titles so people will know how well you did.

Exclusive pvp legendaries for winners should do it, that would also pull in pve crowd who would be interested enough to stick around and try to get it.

maybe exclusive emotes

ill copy and past this in the thread when it starts next week.

Also maybe give a week free pvp trial to try and get people interested after you made the change and added new modes and maps.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I would like a really good Primer, because I don’t think I actually understand the question…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Sari.9836

Sari.9836

PvP: What would you like to see from a League system?

I am not sure about any possible matchmaking yet, I do not like Glicko-2 though due to its rating derivation leaving too few freedom. Also divions-only matchmaking. As zone.1073 wrote below.
As for the division tiers, rewards for anyone but legendary skins for top division, ascended skins for second highest division, so we have a high incentive to get in these there. Tier-specific Finishers like the ones for WvW would be a good idea either. Maybe with a number somewhere indicating which seasons that finisher is from ?
As for other possible rewards, I am not sure. Gold Trim Capes would be nice for top teams.
But the few competitive players probably still want to be heavily recognized by many players, so work on a much bigger playerbase with the league-system too. Make this game more skill-based in PvP at least. This includes balance which may have to be completly seperate. (Sorry, a proper PvP-game needs its own focus, GW2 doesn’t have it for now it looks like)

Edit: It is hard to pin down how long seasons should last since WoW suffered from some players just rushing to a high rating at the end of the seasons. I am not sure if it is really bad, but I still want to mention it.
And yes, this is not the real CDI thread, but it can’t hurt to already have a discussion ongoing!
Oh and bring back free weekends and have them happen more often to let have people test out all the new upcoming stuff.

(edited by Sari.9836)

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

League will go pretty much nowhere with about 6 Teams playing.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

Spectator mode of high MMR ranked games, to educate the PvP community and increase competition.

Featured game spotlight, advertised within the UI of the game itself. High MMR ranked matches will be displayed as a link in the PvP in-game menus, so players can easily find, access, and watch the games.

Quantifiable, viewable MMR.

Separate tiers or brackets in ranked games. Bronze players will only play versus bronze players, silver with only silver, gold with only gold, etc.

Removal of 8 v 8 stock custom arenas; replaced with only 5 v 5 stock custom arenas. Player-purchased custom arenas can still be set to 8 v 8 if chosen by the server owner.
Reasoning: 8 v 8 is toxic to the PvP community, as it poisons and tricks new players into developing bad habits, and also yields no improvement in skill, and doesn’t promote competition and learning.

(edited by zone.1073)

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: darkgogeta.3156

darkgogeta.3156

when will a use my glory pvp armor in pve? espect for the titel

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Spectator mode of high MMR ranked games, to educate the PvP community and increase competition.

Featured game spotlight, advertised within the UI of the game itself. High MMR ranked matches will be displayed as a link in the PvP in-game menus, so players can easily find, access, and watch the games.

Quantifiable, viewable MMR.

Separate tiers or brackets in ranked games. Bronze players will only play versus bronze players, silver with only silver, gold with only gold, etc.

Removal of 8 v 8 stock custom arenas; replaced with only 5 v 5 stock custom arenas. Player-purchased custom arenas can still be set to 8 v 8 if chosen by the server owner.
Reasoning: 8 v 8 is toxic to the PvP community, as it poisons and tricks new players into developing bad habits, and also yields no improvement in skill, and doesn’t promote competition and learning.

^good suggestions there

Read It Backwards [BooN]

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

Snip

Could you please post the results from previous CDIs. Post what you came into the CDI thinking and how, specifically, our feedback was used.

I feel this is PR. Prove to me otherwise.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Snip

Could you please post the results from previous CDIs. Post what you came into the CDI thinking and how, specifically, our feedback was used.

I feel this is PR. Prove to me otherwise.

Of course it is PR. Anet are stuck in a political way of doing things which is soooo 2005. This is now the transparency age and people are bored of the same old marketing techniques and political-like avoiding the questions in ALL walks of life. Game development is no different.

Why do you think they want to stream themselves play today (the devs) – it is purely for PR reasons. They want to show they know how to play to silence the doubters.

On rare occasions the community actually bands together and tells them things like; a, nerf healing signet or b, dont put diamond skin or similar things into the game or c, remove skyhammer….they dont listen. These are the big issues and some of the few issues where the response is so obvious from the community. But they ignore them and when they do their balance posts they do things like “shave” 10% off a nerf they were going to make because 1 random dude said so.

It is absurd. This CDI is 2005, I think arena-net the company is stuck in around 2005 with how they operate with respect to the community and with how they develop and market their game

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

the suggestion of others make me wanna puke, gold trim capes? get over gw1 already. legendary weapon skins for high tier? if you want legendary play all aspect of the game. if they implement legendary weapons achievable in pvp only i will go to anet and slap them with the box of guildwars 2 game i purchase and demand they pay me for the time i spent doing everything from map completion to getting mats and playing WvW just to get my legendary. some kitten pvp players think they intitle for everything in this game without playing the other aspect.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Vella the knight.6072

Vella the knight.6072

PVP: SEPERATE pvp skills/traits from pve GW1 style was the best pvp I’ve played in early to end of it. probably throw wvw in its own as well but not to far from it since its sort of linked with pve.
in gw1 all pvp skills had their own rules and balance for player vs player. You can not balance the two together and expect it to be fine.

PVE: fractals aka RNG hell. last run of level 32 fotm I did was fine but The unrewarding nature of it was horrblie to spend and hour in something and get few cores that could or could not be onyx or charged. The gold reward while added was nice but its under whelming to what I can do in cof path 1 in 7 mins plus few other paths in less then an hour. fotm isn’t a challenge unless one or number of the players aren’t pulling their weight it just lot of time put in to get so little in return.
dungeons add whole another one like the ones in game already or add better rewards for a lot of tokens like 1-2k tokens per an ascended armor/weapon. for now most old dungeons are ran for some easy group farming that isn’t Champion train Fotm Is avoided because higher levels take quite some time in a pug and I honoestly don’t know anyone who still does it after just getting their ascended rings and back piece
More skills/weapons(types classes getting new weapons or weapons they haven’t been able to use before and so on traits to go with them and such)

EOTM: I enjoyed it for being smaller and faster. probably captureing the garrisons provided each borderland with slight advantaged. or have supply gens to slowly give troops supply overtime like 1 supply every 5 mins upgradedable from the Camp.

Proffesions/Classes: More skills, more traits(possibly second proffesion like in gw1, and more weapon types(Greataxe, polearm, landspear/javelin, scythe DERVISH LOVE, and such).

BTW I’m terrible at grammer

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

PvP: What would you like to see from a League system? – Owner- John Corpening

League system?
What happened to discussing game modes? and the talk of balance?
Are you guys just abandoning those topics?

Isn’t the point of a discussing things with the community to, well, discuss things with the community? Opening one thread per topic aiming for extremely, extremely general ideas, with no guidance at all, is not a discussion. It’s a random spew of thoughts *
‘we are reading these posts’ is not a discussion.
‘we tried that and it did not work’ is not a discussion.

Designing doesn’t stop at brainstorming, listening isn’t a discussion.
Okay?

which is weird because you guys don’t need brainstorming at all and that’s all the thread was. You guys need refining. You can make a dozen different game modes work for GW2 if they are well made and well worked into the game, and none if they are badly made or badly worked into the game…

Take skyhammer, decent map, by no means unworkably, but thrown into a mandatory queue system… that’s bad. That’s really bad. It’s the kind of map people need to be in a certain mindset or play a certain sort of spec to really get fun out of… and randomly, constantly chucking a map like that in the playerbase’s face… that’s a sure fire way to kitten people off.

(edited by garethh.3518)

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Laylie.5703

Laylie.5703

Im confused I came back to this game after a long break to see the state of dismay SPvP is in. I thought this game was supposed to be the next big esport. Instead of talking about how the league system is how about you guys balance the current classes. Add more gametypes. I love conquest style gametypes but to have only one game mode is quite stale. Increase rewards for winning PvP 20s for 15 minutes is pretty awful. Once these things are stated then move onto the league system.

As for WvW and EoTm don’t bring anything from EoTM into WvW for people like myself who do hardcore WvW we do not enjoy EoTM at all except to get badges of Honor which for some reason are stupid easy to obtain in there.

PvE is fine where it is at balance everything else first then focus on PvE.

|Biggus|QT|Jade Quarry|

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Posted by: Swagginator.3246

Swagginator.3246

the suggestion of others make me wanna puke, gold trim capes? get over gw1 already. legendary weapon skins for high tier? if you want legendary play all aspect of the game. if they implement legendary weapons achievable in pvp only i will go to anet and slap them with the box of guildwars 2 game i purchase and demand they pay me for the time i spent doing everything from map completion to getting mats and playing WvW just to get my legendary. some kitten pvp players think they intitle for everything in this game without playing the other aspect.

and what if we don’t like playing in pve or wvw? even if we made a legendary in these areas it seems kind of pointless if we aren’t staying to play in them.

one who isn’t a hardcore spvper won’t understand.

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I am locking the thread as I hope most are now aware of the topics.

Have a good weekend all.

Chris

The New CDI Topics

in PvP

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

I am locking the thread as I hope most are now aware of the topics.

Have a good weekend all.

Chris

Quick Update. The new topics will open on Wednesday 19th February. Thanks for your patience and I apologize for the delay.

Chris