The Problem With PvP Currently

in PvP

Posted by: ethanc.2947

ethanc.2947

I’m not talking about builds. We all know Spirit Ranger is dumb, Hambow warrior needs nerfed, etc etc (lol).

What I want to talk about is the new changes to sPvP.

Since the addition of money to sPvP in order to encourage more players to join, there has been a serious issue. There are simply too many new players and the current system can’t accommodate for it.

I’m honestly sick and tired of being put on a team with 4 Rabbits. I wouldn’t even mind it if the other team was in the similar fashion. However, far too often there are noobs playing in tournament games that have no idea what they are doing. This is fine, because everyone has to start somewhere.

The problem is that while rank does NOT equal skill, it DOES equal experience. The higher rank you are is directly related to the amount of games you have played. Knowledge means quite a bit in this PvP game.

I don’t understand why there isn’t a total team rank standard. What I mean is when you are placed on teams, why isn’t there a calculated total of rank that is balanced? For example:

Team A:

Player 1 – rank 10
Player 2 – rank 5
Player 3- rank 20
Player 4 – rank 5
Player 5- rank 10

Total rank: 50

Team B:

Player 1 – rank 30
Player 2 – rank 20
Player 3- rank 5
Player 4 – rank 15
Player 5- rank 10

Total rank: 80

Things like this should NOT HAPPEN. However, I see it happen quite often. You can argue all you want that Team B will not win because they have a higher skill be default (according to rank). But you can’t deny the fact that they have more experience in the sPvP arena.

Please fix this system. I know I am not the only one frustrated. Having new players expand the game should be a good thing, but not when it hurts the players who want to take PvP seriously.

EDIT:

The other solution to this problem (though probably won’t happen because aNet loves its casual crowd >_>) is that you shouldn’t allowed to join tournament games until you reach a certain rank. For example: 10 or 20. This tells me you have at least some experience playing in games with hotjoin.

Actually, you should implement both. GG.

(edited by ethanc.2947)

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I agree with you 100%. I’m not that experienced with sPvP maps and tactics for the different maps, therefore I leave ranked games alone until I feel I got a good hang of it. It’s wrong for some highly skilled players to get their stats messed up because of some new players that figured they wanted to give it a go.

I’ll keep crushing skulls in hot-join until I feel I’m in a good spot ^^

Melder – Thief

in PvP

ethanc.2947

I agree with you 100%. I’m not that experienced with sPvP maps and tactics for the different maps, therefore I leave ranked games alone until I feel I got a good hang of it. It’s wrong for some highly skilled players to get their stats messed up because of some new players that figured they wanted to give it a go.

I’ll keep crushing skulls in hot-join until I feel I’m in a good spot ^^

For this, I applaud you.

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

Don’t blame the rank.

The system spreads around the MMR of both teams. This means that a few low rank people may have a higher MMR than they should because they lucked out and won their first few matches. As long as the new players keep playing they should eventually get pushed down. Their match with you on their team was unfortunately their time to be pushed down a bit.

Call me Smith.

in PvP

ethanc.2947

Don’t blame the rank.

The system spreads around the MMR of both teams. This means that a few low rank people may have a higher MMR than they should because they lucked out and won their first few matches. As long as the new players keep playing they should eventually get pushed down. Their match with you on their team was unfortunately their time to be pushed down a bit.

But don’t you think there has to be a better system than this? I understand the MMR but for players with less than like 50 games, the MMR system doesn’t really work too well.

Just like you said, if I get lucky and win my first 5 I will get paired up significantly. Rank should be taken in to account when dealing with MMR.

in PvP

Posted by: Maximka.4128

Maximka.4128

I’m not talking about builds. We all know Spirit Ranger is dumb, Hambow warrior needs nerfed, etc etc (lol).

Since the addition of money to sPvP in order to encourage more players to join, there has been a serious issue. There are simply too many new players and the current system can’t accommodate for it.

I’m honestly sick and tired of being put on a team with 4 Rabbits. I wouldn’t even mind it if the other team was in the similar fashion. However, far too often there are noobs playing in tournament games that have no idea what they are doing. This is fine, because everyone has to start somewhere.

The problem is that while rank does NOT equal skill, it DOES equal experience. The higher rank you are is directly related to the amount of games you have played. Knowledge means quite a bit in this PvP game.

I don’t understand why there isn’t a total team rank standard. What I mean is when you are placed on teams, why isn’t there a calculated total of rank that is balanced? For example:

Team A:

Player 1 – rank 10
Player 2 – rank 5
Player 3- rank 20
Player 4 – rank 5
Player 5- rank 10

Team B:

Player 1 – rank 30
Player 2 – rank 20
Player 3- rank 5
Player 4 – rank 15
Player 5- rank 10

Things like this should NOT HAPPEN. However, I see it happen quite often. You can argue all you want that Team B will not win because they have a higher skill be default (according to rank). But you can’t deny the fact that they have more experience in the sPvP arena.

Please fix this system. I know I am not the only one frustrated. Having new players expand the game should be a good thing, but not when it hurts the players who want to take PvP seriously.

EDIT:

The other solution to this problem (though probably won’t happen because aNet loves its casual crowd >_>) is that you shouldn’t allowed to join tournament games until you reach a certain rank. For example: 10 or 20. This tells me you have at least some experience playing in games with hotjoin.

Not agree with you on that. Rank may reflect “experience”, but not a skill level. One may hit R50 doing hotjoins all the time or even better farm it in Skyhammer on the “Farm” custom arenas. I’ve seen R20’s doing amazing stuff in SoloQ and I’ve seen R50’s running around clueless. MMR (win/loose ratio) is better way to match teams, not sure if it does work 100% now, but after Dec patch things improved just a little.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

If a “total rank” parameter gets added, the higher your rank becomes, the lower the ranks of your teammates will be. Also, any top player who creates a second account will automatically be placed with higher-ranked teammates than normal, just because his “rank” is low. Are you sure that’s what you want?

The second idea is a little better. However, I would feel awful about condemning anyone to 20 ranks of pure hotjoins. Perhaps there could be a warning message when newer players attempt to join a ranked match. Or there could be a goal-based requirement to enter solo arenas (e.g. finsh 10 downed players in a hotjoin, rez 10 downed allies, cleanse 100 conditions, etc.)

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

They’re supposedly working on adding leagues like Starcraft II/Lego Legends. Newbs would start out in the bottom league and have to advance through intermediate and master leagues. They haven’t given any sort of timetable yet.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in PvP

ethanc.2947

Team A:

Player 1 – rank 10
Player 2 – rank 5
Player 3- rank 20
Player 4 – rank 5
Player 5- rank 10

Team B:

Player 1 – rank 30
Player 2 – rank 20
Player 3- rank 5
Player 4 – rank 15
Player 5- rank 10

EDIT:

Not agree with you on that. Rank may reflect “experience”, but not a skill level. One may hit R50 doing hotjoins all the time or even better farm it in Skyhammer on the “Farm” custom arenas. I’ve seen R20’s doing amazing stuff in SoloQ and I’ve seen R50’s running around clueless. MMR (win/loose ratio) is better way to match teams, not sure if it does work 100% now, but after Dec patch things improved just a little.

I totally agree that rank does not equal skill but it reflects the amount of time spent in sPvP.

The MMR system does not work for new players. If you get lucky and win the first few matches, you get lucky and paired up.

in PvP

ethanc.2947

If a “total rank” parameter gets added, the higher your rank becomes, the lower the ranks of your teammates will be. Also, any top player who creates a second account will automatically be placed with higher-ranked teammates than normal, just because his “rank” is low. Are you sure that’s what you want?

The second idea is a little better. However, I would feel awful about condemning anyone to 20 ranks of pure hotjoins. Perhaps there could be a warning message when newer players attempt to join a ranked match. Or there could be a goal-based requirement to enter solo arenas (e.g. finsh 10 downed players in a hotjoin, rez 10 downed allies, cleanse 100 conditions, etc.)

Your first point basically points out a loophole in my system. However, in order to implement the system properly you should have checks and balances.

For example:

If a teams total rank is 100 then the other team should be around teh same rank (give or take, say 10 points?). In theory tough you could have a rank 80 and the other 4 team mates be level 5’s.

There should be a checks and balance system for this as well.

This could be worked by taking the average of each player in to account when talking about total rank. The average rank should be somewhat of a equilibrium so you can’t get unbalanced teams such as what you suggested.

in PvP

ethanc.2947

They’re supposedly working on adding leagues like Starcraft II/Lego Legends. Newbs would start out in the bottom league and have to advance through intermediate and master leagues. They haven’t given any sort of timetable yet.

This should solve the problem for the most part.