The PvP: Can it go any further downhill?

in PvP

Posted by: towerston.2790

towerston.2790

So, after a long break from the game entirely, thinking “hey, maybe ANet will fix the balance issues. I’ll give them a half-year.”, I came back. I entered PvP, and, what do you know, it’s still the ‘nuke their kitten’ PvP that it was when the Specialization system came out.

Before you start racially slurring me for being ‘bad’, let me just say: I’ve seen enough PvP to know what is balanced and what is not, in both this game and many others. Don’t take my opinion as fact, but think about it at the very least – and do not post if you’re only posting to try and defend you and your button-bashing. We all know ANet won’t do a thing about it.

So, onto the topic: the PvP is going further downhill than I ever thought possible. You have countless Thieves and Necros smashing buttons in a random order to win: and guess what. It’s rewarded in full over skill.

An excellent example is how most Thieves in PvP constantly spam Heartseeker. It deals an insane amount of damage, at base, but it deals more if the opponent has less health. This is because Thieves, unlike any other class, are not constrained by cooldowns.

Another great example is… the typical Condi Necro. The counter for them WOULD be Condi-Cleanses, right? Wrong. They can inflict all of their Conditions on you, one-after-another, every five to ten seconds. If they kitten up, they have the Shroud to take up their burden.

Want to know a final, more-kitten ing example of ‘The PvP is Nothing But…’? It’s called the MetaBattle website. It’s full of builds, namely for Thieves and Necros, and a bit for the Revenant, that are better than all the rest. I wouldn’t mind this if every single player didn’t do it. The top-used builds are for the Thief and Necro, and conveniently, those builds allow you to smash buttons ’till victory.

Then you have a few arbitrary things that make such play rewarded, like the kaleidoscope of particle effects that block out vision of enemy telegraphs… and no, the ‘Limit Particle LoD’ option doesn’t do much. If you have any kind of mist on-screen, you’re screwed in looking for the telegraph of a Heartseeker spam.

Now, I’d take most of this for a grain of salt if I didn’t have to test the Thief out for myself. I did, for one single day. I went from PvP Rank FIVE to PvP Rank THIRTY in that same day, and I had a very, very high number of kills by the end of it. If you don’t believe me, fine, but hey, I did it.

So tell me… do you think the PvP will get any better, any worse, should I quit doing something I love simply because of this? I certainly don’t want to, but if this is all PvP has to offer, I don’t want to see any more of it.

in PvP

towerston.2790

I apologize for any sight of ‘QQ’-ing. I wouldn’t be complaining about something like this as-if it was factual unless all evidence would point to it being factual.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

“I went from rank FIVE to PvP rank THIRTY in one day”….

l o l

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

“I went from rank FIVE to PvP rank THIRTY in one day”….

l o l

^^^ kek.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

So, after a long break from the game entirely, thinking “hey, maybe ANet will fix the balance issues. I’ll give them a half-year.”, I came back. I entered PvP, and, what do you know, it’s still the ‘nuke their kitten’ PvP that it was when the Specialization system came out.

Before you start racially slurring me for being ‘bad’, let me just say: I’ve seen enough PvP to know what is balanced and what is not, in both this game and many others. Don’t take my opinion as fact, but think about it at the very least – and do not post if you’re only posting to try and defend you and your button-bashing. We all know ANet won’t do a thing about it.

So, onto the topic: the PvP is going further downhill than I ever thought possible. You have countless Thieves and Necros smashing buttons in a random order to win: and guess what. It’s rewarded in full over skill.

An excellent example is how most Thieves in PvP constantly spam Heartseeker. It deals an insane amount of damage, at base, but it deals more if the opponent has less health. This is because Thieves, unlike any other class, are not constrained by cooldowns.

Another great example is… the typical Condi Necro. The counter for them WOULD be Condi-Cleanses, right? Wrong. They can inflict all of their Conditions on you, one-after-another, every five to ten seconds. If they kitten up, they have the Shroud to take up their burden.

Want to know a final, more-kitten ing example of ‘The PvP is Nothing But…’? It’s called the MetaBattle website. It’s full of builds, namely for Thieves and Necros, and a bit for the Revenant, that are better than all the rest. I wouldn’t mind this if every single player didn’t do it. The top-used builds are for the Thief and Necro, and conveniently, those builds allow you to smash buttons ’till victory.

Then you have a few arbitrary things that make such play rewarded, like the kaleidoscope of particle effects that block out vision of enemy telegraphs… and no, the ‘Limit Particle LoD’ option doesn’t do much. If you have any kind of mist on-screen, you’re screwed in looking for the telegraph of a Heartseeker spam.

Now, I’d take most of this for a grain of salt if I didn’t have to test the Thief out for myself. I did, for one single day. I went from PvP Rank FIVE to PvP Rank THIRTY in that same day, and I had a very, very high number of kills by the end of it. If you don’t believe me, fine, but hey, I did it.

So tell me… do you think the PvP will get any better, any worse, should I quit doing something I love simply because of this? I certainly don’t want to, but if this is all PvP has to offer, I don’t want to see any more of it.

K on a serious note, i just have one thing to say. You havent played enough pvp. Which means you are not mechnically or rotationally aware enough to know what’s aids and what’s not. Heartseeker thieves and condi necros are a has been, and they have never posed a problem for better players in the previous meta either. Condi and heartseeker thief spam qq are what beginners usually complain about, sorry to burst your bubble.

You seem to suffer from the dunning-kruger effect. You would be better off quitting pvp with the mentality you have.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: Good Tofu.9376

Good Tofu.9376

So, you copied a “meta” build and that allowed you to go to from R5 to R30 within a day.

You gained 134,500 rank points (in other words, got 90 wins) in one day.

Please, share your secret with us. If everyone else is using these builds, how were you able to win so much?

(edited by Good Tofu.9376)

in PvP

Posted by: Beetamus.6403

Beetamus.6403

You can smash buttons and win as a thief? I guess I’ve been playing wrong all this time…

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

I love how of all things you chose to point out you used heartseeker and condi necro, 2 of the most harmless opponents in PvP. You’re just terrible at it.

in PvP

Posted by: Khael.7325

Khael.7325

I stopped reading when you started complaining about heartseaker spam.

in PvP

Posted by: Alae.8563

Alae.8563

Further downhill? judging from your post you have played for about a day of pvp.. You havent even seen the hill yet.

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

I don’t think you’ve played any of these classes you talk about.

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Just when you think it can’t go further downhill, it does. As for the actual content of your post, I have no idea what you’re going on about.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

If you’re having trouble against thieves, PEBKAC

in PvP

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

So, you copied a “meta” build and that allowed you to go to from R5 to R30 within a day.

Please, share your secret with us. If everyone else is using these builds, how were you able to win so much?

My ballpark estimate for a minimum amount of time to get that much rank is 18 hours, unless you have a ridiculous win/loss ratio (I’m talking 90% plus), which I doubt.

Thieves are annoying, while Chronomancers are deadly. Condi Reapers are annoying (although they can kill you), but power Reapers are a more serious, immediate threat. You didn’t even mention the other strong contenders here, such as Dragonhunters with invisible, bugged traps; tough-as-nails Scrappers which can still hit pretty hard; and Heralds who expect to win using just Coalesce of Ruin and Unrelenting Assault, along with their assorted invulnerabilities and two healing skills. Heartseeker thieves aren’t even a drop in the bucket here. Before you complain about balance, you should probably play a little bit more (or a lot more, actually).

in PvP

Good Tofu.9376

My ballpark estimate for a minimum amount of time to get that much rank is 18 hours, unless you have a ridiculous win/loss ratio (I’m talking 90% plus), which I doubt.

Thieves are annoying, while Chronomancers are deadly. Condi Reapers are annoying (although they can kill you), but power Reapers are a more serious, immediate threat. You didn’t even mention the other strong contenders here, such as Dragonhunters with invisible, bugged traps; tough-as-nails Scrappers which can still hit pretty hard; and Heralds who expect to win using just Coalesce of Ruin and Unrelenting Assault, along with their assorted invulnerabilities and two healing skills. Heartseeker thieves aren’t even a drop in the bucket here. Before you complain about balance, you should probably play a little bit more (or a lot more, actually).

Your time estimates are a bit off.

You can usually get off 4 games per hour if you are lucky (not hindered by queue times). Assuming a standard 50% W/L rate and 100 in-game rank points per game, you’d be getting (1500/win)2 + (500/loss)2 + (100pts/game)*4 = 4400 rank points per hour.

134,500/4200 = 30.5 hours to go from R5 to R30.

Now, assuming that the OP is a God and wins every game, you’d be getting (1500/win)4 + (100pts/game)4 = 6400 points per hour

134,500/6400 = 21 hours to go from R5 to R30.

So, the only way the OP could have ever made it from R5 to R30 within the span of a day is if he literally played without sleep for the entire day, only stopping to take bathroom and eating breaks, and won virtually all of this matches.

Based on this logic, we can safely conclude that the OP is a God and has an infallible understanding of all aspects of the game, including balance…right?

In addition, it sounds 100%, definite, without-a-doubt reasonable that someone who dominates every single game would post messages raging and moaning about game balance…..right?

(edited by Good Tofu.9376)

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Your time estimates are a bit off.

You can usually get off 4 games per hour if you are lucky (not hindered by queue times). Assuming a standard 50% W/L rate and 100 in-game rank points per game, you’d be getting (1500/win)2 + (500/loss)2 + (100pts/game)*4 = 4400 rank points per hour.

134,500/4200 = 30.5 hours to go from R5 to R30.

Now, assuming that the OP is a God and wins every game, you’d be getting (1500/win)4 + (100pts/game)4 = 6400 points per hour

134,500/6400 = 21 hours to go from R5 to R30.

So, the only way the OP could have ever made it from R5 to R30 within the span of a day is if he literally played without sleep for the entire day, only stopping to take bathroom and eating breaks, and won virtually all of this matches.

Based on this logic, we can safely conclude that the OP is a God and has an infallible understanding of all aspects of the game, including balance…right?

In addition, it sounds 100%, definite, without-a-doubt reasonable that someone who dominates every single game would post messages raging and moaning about game balance…..right?

boosters……you forgot boosters

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

Good Tofu.9376

I might be ignorant here – Do you mean the discontinued Glory boosters that you can no longer obtain?

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

I might be ignorant here – Do you mean the discontinued Glory boosters that you can no longer obtain?

Heroic Booster=+50% xp in ALL game modes

I believe the changed the other boosters to do this as well.

Edit: Just checked, the other boosters do the same.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

Exp =/= rank gain. Exp boosters dont work in pvp.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Unfortunately, OP, it sort of seems like you should quit. You might as well have complained about Frenzy+Bull’s Charge+100B. I haven’t seen Heartseeker spam in months and months, and even then, I might have only seen it once, and that Thief died very soon after. Condi Reaper is actually pretty strong right now I think, but you said Condi Necro. I couldn’t help but think you meant the old Dhuumfire mechanic, which hasn’t been a mechanic for some odd years.

If you are going to write off classes as “random button mashing” instead of attempt to better understand them, evaluate them unemotionally, and identify how to best approach each one, then you’re better off playing another game.

Also, do PvP ranks matter? I don’t remember PvP ranks mattering.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: WuGzaGenius.5684

WuGzaGenius.5684

Its fine, you just need to learn the builds and understand how each spec plays / is countered.

I haven’t had a problem playing this game beucase of “X” op!

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

ah yes, another ‘good player’ brought crying to the forums by heartseeker spam.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

Yeah, same here and I normally read the entire post. When you get killed by a heartseeker-spamming thief the problem is definitly a different one…

And because some people will maybe never get it:
>Initiative is ANOTHER kind of cd<
but still a cd….

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<

in PvP

Good Tofu.9376

Exp =/= rank gain. Exp boosters dont work in pvp.

Yep, I think the only thing that ever boosted PvP rank was those glory boosters…and those have long been discontinued.

So my assumption holds true: either the OP played for 21+ hours straight while winning every single game……or (gasp) could he actually be lying??

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrow.2785

Sarrow.2785

I read “heartseeker spam” then immediately checked the date on the thread. You’re a few years too late on that one I’m afraid bud..

Thief is one of the few classes that can’t win button-mashing lol.

Admiral Mournn, Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Poliator.7021

Poliator.7021

I won’t racially slurr you. I’ll just tell that an expansion (with the new Elite Specialization, with its new skills and mechanics) launched 2 weeks ago and that is not enough time for a meta-game to settle down, nor for ANet to correctly balance the game.

I’d advice you to give it some more time and don’t give up playing (i.e. try to have fun). I can tell you Thief is not the most OP thing right now, you will see by yourself if you keep playing.

P.S.: QQMore.net is a helpful site for newer players.

in PvP

Posted by: Pakkazull.6894

Pakkazull.6894

Actually, yes, Experience Boosters do work in sPvP ( +50% PvP Reward Track Gain ), as well as Birthday Boosters ( +10% PvP Reward Track Gain ) and as far as I know they stack. It’s got to be the new version of the Exp Booster introduced in the August 11 patch, not the discontinued one.

(edited by Pakkazull.6894)

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Actually, yes, Experience Boosters do work in sPvP (50% PvP Reward Track Gain), as well as Birthday Boosters (10% PvP Reward Track Gain) and as far as I know they stack. It’s got to be the new version of the Exp Booster introduced in the August 11 patch, not the discontinued one.

Reward track xp =/= rank xp

in PvP

Pakkazull.6894

Hm, guess you’re right. Thought they applied to both.

in PvP

Pakkazull.6894

Well I guess that leaves us with 1) the OP is full of kitten, or 2) he’s a god at PvP :p

in PvP

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Thief heartseeker spam OP?

I’m sorry but this is clearly a learn 2 play issue on the OPs part. Thieves need buffs, not nerfs.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in PvP

Posted by: Ashkew.6584

Ashkew.6584

Lol the only heartseeker spam i see is usually by f2p thiefs or other rookies. Dont think your examples are making your post credible.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

ah yes, another ‘good player’ brought crying to the forums by heartseeker spam.

This made me crack up, nice.

in PvP

Posted by: Gabriell.4856

Gabriell.4856

Spam HS? That was so 2012. Thief now spam Vault for power build and DB for condi build.

in PvP

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

+1

in PvP

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

Next thing you know frenzy-bull’s charge-100blades will be the new op.

in PvP

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

WHAT YEAR IS IT?

in PvP

towerston.2790

I won’t racially slurr you. I’ll just tell that an expansion (with the new Elite Specialization, with its new skills and mechanics) launched 2 weeks ago and that is not enough time for a meta-game to settle down, nor for ANet to correctly balance the game.

I’d advice you to give it some more time and don’t give up playing (i.e. try to have fun). I can tell you Thief is not the most OP thing right now, you will see by yourself if you keep playing.

I wonder.

Most people here seem not to get exactly what I’m saying. Calling me out for not playing enough PvP, all of that bullkitten which is undeniably false, as I’ve been PvPing since I have bought the kittening game. I know what I’m talking about.

About the rank: I didn’t take any breaks at all. I got up, stretched every hour or so, but then I sat back down and did another match. It was mind-crushingly tedious, but I won a large sum of the time.

So, take the above for a grain of salt, but you have no right to deny that the PvP is illogically inaccessible due to the excessive particle effects and poor optimization. On top of that, both of those things, on top of Thieves/DH’s, encourage you to smash buttons on your way to victory.

Call me a ‘nub’ or whatever else all you want, but you can’t really deny that the game supports smashing buttons, and rewards it, far more than it should. This isn’t even an issue that plagues the XPac (Revenant and Dragonhunters have made it worse, however. Though I am glad they added in a healing class/healing classes.) and instead, it has plagued this game since 2013 – and hasn’t been fixed.

(edited by towerston.2790)

in PvP

towerston.2790

You just use Lightning Reflexes/a stun break. I’m tired of people like you who pretty much deny anything wrong with the game and instead just try to make fun of the people that actually point issues out – you know, the people that make games better? People like QA’ers, critics.

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

I wonder.

Most people here seem not to get exactly what I’m saying. Calling me out for not playing enough PvP, all of that bullkitten which is undeniably false, as I’ve been PvPing since I have bought the kittening game. I know what I’m talking about.

About the rank: I didn’t take any breaks at all. I got up, stretched every hour or so, but then I sat back down and did another match. It was mind-crushingly tedious, but I won a large sum of the time.

So, take the above for a grain of salt, but you have no right to deny that the PvP is illogically inaccessible due to the excessive particle effects and poor optimization. On top of that, both of those things, on top of Thieves/DH’s, encourage you to smash buttons on your way to victory.

Call me a ‘nub’ or whatever else all you want, but you can’t really deny that the game supports smashing buttons, and rewards it, far more than it should. This isn’t even an issue that plagues the XPac (Revenant and Dragonhunters have made it worse, however. Though I am glad they added in a healing class/healing classes.) and instead, it has plagued this game since 2013 – and hasn’t been fixed.

I can see through the particles just fine.

Mashing buttons can work in this game at lower tiers of pvp. Mashing buttons will get you killed in higher tier pvp. Once you actually learn how to REALLY use your skills correctly you will see this.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Fighting games support smashing buttons as well, and often when it’s a new player vs. a new player, the person smashing buttons will beat the person who is trying to play. That doesn’t mean fighting games aren’t skill-based, it just means you have to practice.

You make a whole lot of “undeniable” assertions, without actually supporting them. I don’t believe you know what you’re talking about, almost exclusively because you included Heartseeker Thief spam in your original post. You have switched to typical Revenant/DH complaining, and the age old “particles and effect clutter”. Now it’s just another generic post that has already been created.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

towerston.2790

Fighting games support smashing buttons as well, and often when it’s a new player vs. a new player, the person smashing buttons will beat the person who is trying to play. That doesn’t mean fighting games aren’t skill-based, it just means you have to practice.

You make a whole lot of “undeniable” assertions, without actually supporting them. I don’t believe you know what you’re talking about, almost exclusively because you included Heartseeker Thief spam in your original post. You have switched to typical Revenant/DH complaining, and the age old “particles and effect clutter”. Now it’s just another generic post that has already been created.

Yes. Thank you.

in PvP

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

Yes. Thank you.

You entirely missed his point.

in PvP

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

You just use Lightning Reflexes/a stun break. I’m tired of people like you who pretty much deny anything wrong with the game and instead just try to make fun of the people that actually point issues out – you know, the people that make games better? People like QA’ers, critics.

That’s because the supposed problems you point out haven’t been a problem since the game’s release, the things you complain about are the hallmarks of a new pvp player. Condi-necros haven’t been top class since Dhuumfire nerf and Fearspam and even then they were more annoy then deadly. You claim to be a experienced but then reveal you’re r35 which, at most, is a week’s worth of on-and-off play. That’s not enough time to gauge balance of any game at all. Your conclusion is basically playing Street Fighter, spam random buttons, win a few games, and say the game isn’t balanced at all.

in PvP

Posted by: lilcoffeebean.3149

lilcoffeebean.3149

Heartseeker spam is only spammed by new players to be quite frank. While you claim the base damage is insane, it’s actually a poor way to get dps out of the thief and there are much better dps rotations. While it’s common to see in the lower echelons of spvp, as you move up you’ll see it less and less. This makes sense however, as the lower echelons are made up largely of new players and/or alts new to thieves and it works for them so they believe it to be good.

In truth, it has a obvious animation, and this is strictly a learn to play issue. Thieves after all have been nerfed time and time again, and do nowhere near the dps they did at launch. The same is true with condition necro’s, which are substantially less powerful with the nerfs they received. Can they still be strong? Of course, but most classes can in the hands of a good player and they can be countered like most classes. This is much easier the more familiar you are with animations, cast speeds, etc. That’s true of pvp in any game and honestly, what it sounds like (despite claims otherwise) is that you just aren’t very familiar with pvp. This is evident by your thought that going to rank 30 on a thief is a big deal. You’re still fighting newer players, so it’s natural that rotation matters less.

As far as your claim about metabattle, well, you’re spreading misinformation to put it bluntly. From the great rate down to the good rating (conquest, not looking at stronghold), there are 3 thief builds, none of which use d/d as a weaponset, meaning heartseeker spam is not considered ‘meta’. For necro/reaper there are quite a few more at 7. However, as you complained about condi necro’s, it’s worth noting only 2 are condi builds and 1 is a hybrid using celestial. This is a farcry (hype) from what you are suggesting.

I’m not saying there aren’t classes that need balanced, because there are. There are some that have been nerfed to the point they really don’t feel viable anymore and there are some new spec’s that came with HoT that objectively are superior despite claims otherwise. Given time they will be dealt with like spec’s from the past.

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion.
Let’s not bicker and argue over who killed who.
Lilcoffeebean~Yak’s Bend~Perfect Dark [PD]

in PvP

Posted by: jgak.3056

jgak.3056

I liked the part where you are complaining and then mention that you were still R5. You sound just like a troll

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

I still play pvp because I like the game, but I admit, some days it’s not even fun. Every…single…day I get a couple of lopsided games & teams(97-506), where back then before solo queue was removed, I used to get a bad match only once a week or so. It was an anomaly that occasionally happened. I can handle losing, nobody wants to get farmed. You don’t get better that way.

I’ve said in the past, I will say it again: removing solo queue was a HUGE blow to pvp
Also, there’s bad matchmaking. I think teams should be completely random no matter what, NOT according to so-called, ‘MMR’. MMR means you got hot streak & got paired up with a hot team, nothing more. Then everybody is a perpetual 50%.

in PvP

Posted by: Humblekain.5418

Humblekain.5418

I liked the bit where you suggest that heartseeker spamming thieves are effective.

That is not how competitive sPvP works, and will result in dead thieves unable to move around and decap points.

in PvP

Posted by: Miles Smiles.8951

Miles Smiles.8951

Thief is one of the few classes that can’t win button-mashing lol.

Well, I’d say the only class that could win by button mashing was a dd ele.