The Reign of The Smurf Begins

in PvP

Posted by: Zuko.7132

Zuko.7132

Are you a decent player? Do you dislike waiting 7 or more minutes in que? Do you enjoy making bunnies cry? Then perhaps smurfing is for you. With the new f2p model smurfing is easier than ever before! (Advertisement Over)

Share your thoughts on smurfing here because it is going to become a thing. On the one side are veteran pvp players tired of long ques. On the other are the poor f2p people getting rekt by veteran players. What do you think?

The Elementalist Dual Dagger Legend – Rest in Peace

in PvP

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

I haven’t heard of smurfing since LoL.

I wonder how that turned out as an ESport…

Don’t paint F2P as a negative for PvP, it was needed if Arenanet wanted their PvP to be serious.

Of course, the next step is balance- ahaha, sorry that gave me a chuckle. That’s probably the hardest step.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Posted by: Zuko.7132

Zuko.7132

I dont think f2p is a bad thing i think its great im just polling people on their opinions of smurfing. There’s nothing that can be done about it just want to know what people think.

The Elementalist Dual Dagger Legend – Rest in Peace

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

o/ Smurfer here

Already made an account for EU.

I actually think making a smurf account is a good idea if you plan on playing something you are unfamiliar with. That way your MMR doesn’t bleed over to something you suck at, like me on everything other than thief.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

o/ Smurfer here

I actually think making a smurf account is a good idea if you plan on playing something you are unfamiliar with. That way your MMR doesn’t bleed over to something you suck at, like me on everything other than thief.

I find bleeding my MMR is an effective way to keep queue times down. Also I believe part of your mmr is determined by your class (ie my thief mmr is much lower than my ele) This also allows me to get short queue times by queuing thief and swapping ele (yeah I’m kittened up)

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

o/ Smurfer here

I find bleeding my MMR is an effective way to keep queue times down. Also I believe part of your mmr is determined by your class (ie my thief mmr is much lower than my ele) This also allows me to get short queue times by queuing thief and swapping ele (yeah I’m kittened up)

There is profession specific MMR, though I’m not sure how that will play out with elite specializations. Maybe elite specializaitons will have their own MMR too.

From my experience though, my MMR doesn’t drop enough when I’ve played other professions I normally don’t play.

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

PvP in this game has been on the verge of dying for a while now, and the terrible elementalist and mesmer opness has not done it any favors.

PvP needs both a heavy influx of new blood AND the devs getting their collective kitten in gear to balance it.

No game, that does not need it goes F2P.

Noobs will get owned, yes certainly that is part of what being a noob entails, they will grow out of it like in any other game.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in PvP

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

o/ Smurfer here

There is profession specific MMR, though I’m not sure how that will play out with elite specializations. Maybe elite specializaitons will have their own MMR too.

From my experience though, my MMR doesn’t drop enough when I’ve played other professions I normally don’t play.

My absolute worst proffs (thief, engi less than 20 games) are noticeably different from the rest (100-1000 games)

Those are the last 2 I really feel the difference on and now its been brought up quite a bit. I can only use them sparingly to make my games easier eg I have only 20 min that day to get all my daily done and need a win.

It’s actually more that I notice my teammates are better than enemies worse. Like when I first played guard (I used to stick only to ele/mes) a few months ago, my games where so kittening easy it was a joke. I was at a 80+% win rate for a month until the mmr finally caught up it was really surprising. I think if you’ve played about 40+ games on a char its going to normalize up to your current level but if you have some still less than that you can see a disparity. It might be slight but having a guy 1500 mmr on your team is better than that 1300 mmr guy (numbers made up but you get my point)
I honestly believe at higher mmr games it comes down to who has the least worse player, and that’s where the advantage comes in.

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

in PvP

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

I dont think f2p is a bad thing i think its great im just polling people on their opinions of smurfing. There’s nothing that can be done about it just want to know what people think.

My apologies.

But yes the next step is balance.

Personally I think it is possible to balance for both SPvP and PvE, but it is the more difficult path. The biggest benefit of normalizing effects/damage in SPvP and PvE is that both work the same on the engine they run on.

However, contrary to reason balance in SPvP hasn’t been optimized yet, I won’t even cry out in anguish about DD eles in this regard since SPvP balance is actually pretty fickle atm. Shoutbow got nearly negated from a mere 30% heal per shout. I bet if Ring of Fire got reduced to 2 stacks from 3 stacks, which would seem like a small change, people would complain less about it.

…I also apologize because I diverged from the topic. Sorry

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

To Smurf you have to be above average at playing games. That fact alone makes it highly unlikely anyone in the Guild Wars 2 community can do it. The Warrior was considered OP when it was by and far the worst class in this game…. Or how about when they buffed Ranger longbow and the vast majority of you howled “NERF NOWZZ!”. I highly doubt smurfing will be a problem.

However, I do see veterans crying because someone who just picked up the game destroyed them.

The only thing that will happen is F2P users will try out the pvp and most likely quit after 3 to 4 weeks because of the horrible balance that has plagued this game for 3 years and the fact it is, honestly, very boring. Stronghold will just expedite this issue.

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

To Smurf you have to be above average at playing games. That fact alone makes it highly unlikely anyone in the Guild Wars 2 community can do it. The Warrior was considered OP when it was by and far the worst class in this game…. Or how about when they buffed Ranger longbow and the vast majority of you howled “NERF NOWZZ!”. I highly doubt smurfing will be a problem.

However, I do see veterans crying because someone who just picked up the game destroyed them.

The only thing that will happen is F2P users will try out the pvp and most likely quit after 3 to 4 weeks because of the horrible balance that has plagued this game for 3 years and the fact it is, honestly, very boring. Stronghold will just expedite this issue.

What? So you’re saying it’s unlikely anyone will smurf bc no one in the gw2 community is above average at playing games? I already made a couple smurf accs to play with friends. Not a problem. Smurfing is a thing that happens in most top competitive games, is CSGO having problems? LoL? Nope they are at the top with extremely high player bases. So no, smurfing is not a issue nor would it ever be.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

This post is absurd. It’s not about being better than average at “playing games.” You only have to be decent at playing the single game that you will be smurfing in, and guess what… Everything that has ever been done by anyone at anytime has people below average, average, and above average doing it.

Alright meow, where were we?

in PvP

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

It’s not like CSGO where you can carry your entire team if they’re bad. If your team has no clue what to and the enemy does, you still lose, and 75% of the time your teammates are utterly clueless as to what to do. Playing low MMR ranked is like playing hotjoin. It makes me want to alt f4 and log into my other account.

You depend on your teammates way too much in this game to be able to single handedly carry them to victory.

in PvP

Shockwave.1230

It’s not like CSGO where you can carry your entire team if they’re bad. If your team has no clue what to and the enemy does, you still lose, and 75% of the time your teammates are utterly clueless as to what to do. Playing low MMR ranked is like playing hotjoin. It makes me want to alt f4 and log into my other account.

You depend on your teammates way too much in this game to be able to single handedly carry them to victory.

I disagree, my win percent is at 75 solo on my F2P account when it’s normally pretty evenly 50/50 while I solo on this account. Granted I only have 30 matches on my F2P account, but I think you can carry in this game.

in PvP

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

I disagree, my win percent is at 75 solo on my F2P account when it’s normally pretty evenly 50/50 while I solo on this account. Granted I only have 30 matches on my F2P account, but I think you can carry in this game.

My experiences were based over the last few months using a B2P account playing ranked as a “beginner MMR”, in which case I found that individual player skill was meaningless since you can’t be at all 3 points at once, and given some teams can’t even hold a single point it’s very much impossible to win many games. In fact the first few weeks my winrate was 50/50. It wasn’t until I moved up in MMR on that account and therefore received better teammates that the W/L increased to the 60/40.

It’s possible that due to the influx of a massive amount of people who have never touched the game before you could achieve 75% W/L soloQ, simply because these people haven’t even played the game long enough to understand basic mechanics, but I don’t expect it to stay that way anytime soon. The massive influx of new players coming with F2P is going to decrease over time, and I highly doubt “smurfing” will be a thing worth while three months down the road. However, given that you aren’t lying about those numbers and of course, it wasn’t a fluke then I don’t see why “smurfing” wouldn’t work in the coming weeks. I just wouldn’t get used to it.

in PvP

Posted by: Tera.2638

Tera.2638

Has this been a thing for 3 months now?