The "Solution" To PvP Leagues S2

in PvP

Posted by: masterfoo.6320

masterfoo.6320

So I had posted this on the sub-Reddit but been reluctant to post here on the official forums, as I have seen quite a bit of toxicity. I’ve decided that there are numerous more people out there able to take advantage of this “solution” than those interested in tearing it apart, so here it is:

Having followed the forums and reddit the past week or so, it is undeniable what the majority of the pvp player base is going through. To be honest, my main account has been on the right side of the MMR curve (having mostly queued with a top 10 NA guild atm), and I’ve been winning most of my matches, but I have two HoT alts (including this one) that I have been queuing with randoms (specifically not top tier players), and I have still been winning over 50%. While some might say I could be carrying, I could tell that most of the time I was not; I simply gave my team one more player that could hold his own, letting them play to their potential. So having talked to friends and analyzed all the complaints, here is my conclusion.

The solution for those on the “wrong” side of the MMR curve will have to lie with us, the players, this time around. As the main problem seems to be getting queued with randoms who don’t have any clue or investment once things turn south, it is clear that it is becoming much more of a necessity to “team” queue. This is not necessarily a communication or even a skill issue, but many times a perspective issue, of those players not being invested in the game, and willing to afk or rage at their teammates rather than simply trying their best and playing the game.

In light of this, I’ve decided to begin putting together a (semi) casual pvp guild specifically for this. Sure there are competitive guilds, friendly guilds, etc, but I’ve created an NA guild “End The Streak” (ETS) to specifically give those stuck in downward spirals a chance to queue with people they deserve to be queued with. This doesn’t mean anyone needs to be a pro, or even have an amazing w/l ratio to join; it just means you won’t afk or quit, and will play to the end. Oh, and of course that you know the very basics of pvp and rotations. There will be no rep requirements, and absolutely no team practices or anything of the sort, as this is not designed to be a highly competitive guild, but simply a means for players to find others who are as invested in the game as they are.

Feel free to whisper or mail myself or “Geri Fear.7128”, and ask for an invite to the guild “ETS.” We will be organizing individual’s ranks by your division so people know who to queue with, and the risks of queuing with others outside of their division. We will initially accept virtually anyone, and while light constructive criticism is encouraged, any toxicity will not be tolerated at all, and will very likely result in a kick with very few warnings.

I understand this will come off mostly as a guild recruitment post, but I am doing this to help give hope to those stuck on the terrible losing streaks. So anyone in that position, please feel free to contact the names mentioned above, or even make your own guild with your own values and standards, and let’s do our best to help each other out! While we certainly won’t have 100% success in helping everyone, the players I’ve queued with so far have all pointed out that the matches are much closer and they are finding them actually enjoyable even when they lose, because they are competitive.

And if solo queuing is your thing, I totally get it; it is it’s own challenge, and I totally respect those out there willing to work through a system that is does not currently seem very supportive of your play-style. Best of luck to everyone!

TL;DR Here’s a highlight video of the I put together from the first day of the guild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiTDB-d-5Js

End The Streak (ETS) PvP guild is here to help!
Learn more here

(edited by masterfoo.6320)

in PvP

Posted by: Cyanon.1928

Cyanon.1928

Excellent post, it offers some hope…

I’ll contact you in game.

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Will contact you for sure.

in PvP

Posted by: Soul.9280

Soul.9280

Now this is the right way to deal with a problem! Rather than complain, or blame others, or ask the devs to make changes, he’s taking the initiative to organize other players to take charge of their own destiny. My hat is off to you sir!

in PvP

Cyanon.1928

I joined the guild and it was great I made groups with nice people and won some games…

lets bump this topic!

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Now this is the right way to deal with a problem! Rather than complain, or blame others, or ask the devs to make changes, he’s taking the initiative to organize other players to take charge of their own destiny. My hat is off to you sir!

You have to let ppl know there is a problem otherwise nobody would lift a finger to do anything. Beside, the dev have to know if we want something to be done about it. There is a difference between complaining and pointing possibly disturbing facts.

Also doesn’t help when you have to fight all the naysayers who want to continue believing there is no problem but in ppl’s head.

in PvP

Posted by: Veneratio.1980

Veneratio.1980

I joined. After 4 days of the snowball of hell and being stuck in Sapphire t2. Met 4 guys in exactly the same position. Good players on the wrong side of the mmr coin.

First match. Down 110-20. Lost mid fight to start had home decapped too. WON
Second match. Down 220-150. Won mid but lost home and far. Scattered a bit over the map. Regrouped. WON
Third match. Lead from start to finish. Played as a team and for the first time in days pvp was fun for us all again.

After all being on losing streaks to start those 3 wins gave us all a tier up. Yay!

Now essentially, this was 5 people who didn’t know each other the same as any other pug but the big difference was attitude and communication. When we were losing the was no kittening and finger pointing. Only instruction and positivity. And god those comebacks were sweet.

There is hope yet.

(edited by Veneratio.1980)

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Awesome! I will join.

in PvP

masterfoo.6320

Second match. Down 220-150. Won mid but lost home and far. Scattered a bit over the map. Regrouped. WON
Third match. Lead from start to finish. Played as a team and for the first time in days pvp was fun for us all again.

That’s awesome to hear Veneratio! Maybe we should rename ourselves to the Comeback Boys

It’s games like those that inspired the guild promo video I made. I’ve got to say that it’s great to have close games like these again, and I’ve noticed that even when people don’t win, they appreciate the competitiveness rather than the stomping of one side or another.

Learn more here

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

That’s awesome to hear Veneratio! Maybe we should rename ourselves to the Comeback Boys

It’s games like those that inspired the guild promo video I made. I’ve got to say that it’s great to have close games like these again, and I’ve noticed that even when people don’t win, they appreciate the competitiveness rather than the stomping of one side or another.

This just kinda demonstrate how the people who were label “bad” were in fast not “bad” at all. But wait for me, I’m coming too…

in PvP

Veneratio.1980

Exactly. The second match was the big one. There was a moment at the snow temple at 8:30 going for buff that was epic. 4v4 down stairs with scores level at 300 each. Our roamed capped 2, we won the huge battle down stairs and pulled away.

All of us said it didn’t matter if we’d lost that fight or match. It was close, competitive, and most importantly it was fun again.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Why is this not on the front page? All the people complaining about horrible losing streaks need to see this.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Why is this not on the front page? All the people experiencing horrible losing streaks need to see this.

Fixed.

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The solution to this is pretty simple. Take the various ingredients necessary to complete the “The Ascension” recipe, and make them so that they can be earned in a method that does not require participation in ranked league matches.

Boom.

One move, and suddenly half to 3/4 of the players in the league ranks, most of them in the lower-end of the players, will be gone from the matchmaking system, allowing the true PvPers to compete among themselves, and may the best player win.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

The solution to this is pretty simple. Take the various ingredients necessary to complete the “The Ascension” recipe, and make them so that they can be earned in a method that does not require participation in ranked league matches.

Boom.

One move, and suddenly half to 3/4 of the players in the league ranks, most of them in the lower-end of the players, will be gone from the matchmaking system, allowing the true PvPers to compete among themselves, and may the best player win.

You would still have the achievement point kitten but I agree it would probably greatly help.

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

You would still have the achievement point kitten but I agree it would probably greatly help.

There might be a few hardcore leaderboard climbers that would insist on maxing the achievements, but I doubt most of the casuals care that much.

done by now.”

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

Amazing how fast this gets thrown to page 2. It’s like people would rather complain about thing they really have no clue about and point fingers, rather than proactively try to make a better experience for themselves. Just……..incredible.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

I joined. After 4 days of the snowball of hell and being stuck in Sapphire t2. Met 4 guys in exactly the same position. Good players on the wrong side of the mmr coin.

After all being on losing streaks to start those 3 wins gave us all a tier up. Yay!

Now essentially, this was 5 people who didn’t know each other the same as any other pug but the big difference was attitude and communication. When we were losing the was no kittening and finger pointing. Only instruction and positivity. And god those comebacks were sweet.

There is hope yet.

This is a lie and a shameless self promotion… Everyone knows that the only reason I’m stuck in Emerald is because ANet has stupid algorithm that always teams me up with bad players because they don’t want me to reach legendary.
I called them out on it and Colin had to leave the company.

#MMR_fuel_cant_melt_steel_pips

(also bump)

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Boom.

this is not a solution. “make people leave” can never be a solution.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Amazing how fast this gets thrown to page 2. It’s like people would rather complain about thing they really have no clue about and point fingers, rather than proactively try to make a better experience for themselves. Just……..incredible.

Who is complaining here save you? I see a lot of ppl showing a lot of positivism. How is it bad that such a thread grow in size? I just don’t get it.

in PvP

Cyanon.1928

Bump this up guys, lets keep people joining!

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Im not interested in playing a game that doesnt support my favorite gamemode (soloqueue) because they are too stupid to fix it.

First they destroyed GvG… and now they destroyed soloqueue.

(edited by Yasi.9065)

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

this is not a solution. “make people leave” can never be a solution.

It does if those people don’t want to be there, have a completely different success metric and ethos than the people who do want to be there, and are essentially just junking up the place.

Think of it this way, say you’re a Death Metal band who wants to promote your album, so you offer a free concert in a big stadium, and your label offers to give out free Taylor Swift tickets at the end of the performance. Suddenly, the stadium is filled with a few hundred fans of your music, and a few thousand Taylor Swift fans who want no part of your music. They are bored, they boo your songs, they are not having a good time, and they are basically bringing down the entire atmosphere. What benefit does that serve anyone? Just give them their tickets and let them be on their way.

done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

There is hope yet.

HELL no there is no hope. The system is BADLY designed.

in PvP

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

I was curious about how hard it is to find pugs at the moment:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/PUGing-vs-soloing

The fact that you’re starting a guild to help find pugs, does this mean the normal in game tools (lfg feature, or just asking in hotm chat) are inadequate?

in PvP

Veneratio.1980

There is hope yet.

Lol I agree on the design part. Can’t believe they thought this was a good idea. But at least I can have some fun until/if the fix in season 3.

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

There is hope yet.

Lol I agree on the design part. Can’t believe they thought this was a good idea. But at least I can have some fun until/if the fix in season 3.

If you want some fun and REAL competitiveness play unranked.

in PvP

masterfoo.6320

The fact that you’re starting a guild to help find pugs, does this mean the normal in game tools (lfg feature, or just asking in hotm chat) are inadequate?

Well, this isn’t simply about finding pugs; as I mention in the guild video, many of us won’t be the best players you’ve ever queued with (although we certainly have some very decent players). This is more about helping those that are stuck on those losing streaks, to help even things out a bit. I’m of the opinion that no matter how bad you are, losing 79+ games in a row shouldn’t be happening, and could be avoided by simply queuing with others that can either help you get a bit better, give you some tips, or just give you teammates that will fight to the end, making much better overall matches that are more competitive.

Learn more here

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Well, this isn’t simply about finding pugs; as I mention in the guild video, many of us won’t be the best players you’ve ever queued with (although we certainly have some very decent players). This is more about helping those that are stuck on those losing streaks, to help even things out a bit. I’m of the opinion that no matter how bad you are, losing 79+ games in a row shouldn’t be happening, and could be avoided by simply queuing with others that can either help you get a bit better, give you some tips, or just give you teammates that will fight to the end, making much better overall matches that are more competitive.

I never had anything close to such loosing streaks but your initiative is really a good idea. I can only sympathize with people stuck in bad spots and condemn to dig their own grave or stop playing. Kudos.

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

The solution is simpler. Stop playing this …. anet will lose people and money .. and they will have to change it or they will have to look for another work . The power is to the customers …. if a restaurant is not good … i don’t go to eat there more than 1 time …. and then or they change … or they fail

in PvP

masterfoo.6320

The solution is simpler. Stop playing this …. anet will lose people and money .. and they will have to change it or they will have to look for another work . The power is to the customers …. if a restaurant is not good … i don’t go to eat there more than 1 time …. and then or they change … or they fail

While there are some issues (and Arenanet has confirmed they are aware from the reddit AMA), I think many would agree it is not nearly bad enough to warrant a complete boycott… I do understand that some people have stopped pvping in ranked though, so that is a solution if you are experiencing problems and don’t want to keep going through the pain, or are not able to find another solution.

Learn more here

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

After having played a friends account in diamond league with a more than average mmr…

YES IT IS BAD ENOUGH TO BOYCOTT THIS kitten.

And what did they confirm… you mean this?
“Erik: MMR is not adjusting down enough when losing from higher rated opponents”
This has NOTHING to do with the current problems players are facing in ruby t1.

Or do you mean this?
“Erik, Hugh: They are aware that there are some frustrating match-ups during the kick-off of season 2 and they are working on improving it for season 3”
This actually is MORE than enough reason to NOT play during season 2 at all. And season 3, since they will just have concoct up another harebrained idea on how to “fix” this. Of course without listening to community SCREAMING at them NOT to do it.

But hey, maybe necro gets another buff…. he needs it.

(edited by Yasi.9065)

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

After having played a friends account in diamond league with a more than average mmr…

YES IT IS BAD ENOUGH TO BOYCOTT THIS kitten.

And what did they confirm… you mean this?
[Quote]Erik: MMR is not adjusting down enough when losing from higher rated opponents

This has NOTHING to do with the current problems players are facing in ruby t1.[/quote]

TELL ’EM.

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

Who is complaining here save you? I see a lot of ppl showing a lot of positivism. How is it bad that such a thread grow in size? I just don’t get it.

Did you read at all? I am obviously talking about all of the negative threads in the PvP forums. I love this post and would love nothing more than for it to stay on front page. If you don’t understand something, please ask for clarification first buddy.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Did you read at all? I am obviously talking about all of the negative threads in the PvP forums. I love this post and would love nothing more than for it to stay on front page. If you don’t understand something, please ask for clarification first buddy.

Then why pick the ONE positive thread to say that and see it reaching page 2 as something bad?

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

Then why pick the ONE positive thread to say that and see it reaching page 2 as something bad?

What? Ok, to break it down for ya…I am stating that it saddens me that people would rather create thread after thread of complaint topics, which pushes this topic off the first page soon to be forgotten, instead of contributing to or creating threads such as this wonderful thread. I don’t think I can break that down any clearer for you.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

What? Ok, to break it down for ya…I am stating that it saddens me that people would rather create thread after thread of complaint topics, which pushes this topic off the first page soon to be forgotten, instead of contributing to or creating threads such as this wonderful thread. I don’t think I can break that down any clearer for you.

I then apologize to have misunderstood you. Sincerely.

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

I then apologize to have misunderstood you. Sincerely.

No problem. So long as we are able to get as many people that have it rough this season into the guild or similar guilds. This system greatly benefits teams queueing together, and guilds like these help create better pvp experiences for everyone.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: JGonspy.7964

JGonspy.7964

As nice an idea as this guild was, it doesn’t seem to be the solution we were hoping for. I got in fairly early (I’m even in that short clip of the first as Agent of Shield), and while I’ve met some really great people, this PVP season has still sapped the life out of me and killed all interest I have in the game.

I don’t know what my exact losing streak is right now, but somewhere around 20 games in a row seems about right. Quite a few of those involved teaming up with people in this guild, and while I’m aware there’s no barrier for entry, it only takes a few poor sports to ruin the atmosphere, and it still hasn’t solved the problem of afkers and dcs.

Ultimately I think this whole season is a bust. While I was hoping to progress in the achievements, and maybe improve as a guardian while I’m at it, I don’t see how I can possibly get out of sapphire aside from getting a few lucky win streaks. There isn’t enough time to improve to the level I’d need to, and it’s hard to learn how to improve while getting stomped repeatedly. This last week of pvp has been my worst experience in the game over the last three years.

in PvP

Posted by: godsie.2864

godsie.2864

As nice an idea as this guild was, it doesn’t seem to be the solution we were hoping for. I got in fairly early (I’m even in that short clip of the first as Agent of Shield), and while I’ve met some really great people, this PVP season has still sapped the life out of me and killed all interest I have in the game.

I don’t know what my exact losing streak is right now, but somewhere around 20 games in a row seems about right. Quite a few of those involved teaming up with people in this guild, and while I’m aware there’s no barrier for entry, it only takes a few poor sports to ruin the atmosphere, and it still hasn’t solved the problem of afkers and dcs.

Ultimately I think this whole season is a bust. While I was hoping to progress in the achievements, and maybe improve as a guardian while I’m at it, I don’t see how I can possibly get out of sapphire aside from getting a few lucky win streaks. There isn’t enough time to improve to the level I’d need to, and it’s hard to learn how to improve while getting stomped repeatedly. This last week of pvp has been my worst experience in the game over the last three years.

I agree after being a veteran of both gw1 and 2 I have never been so close to quitting over this so demoralized – on a bad losing streak , thought the idea of this guild was fantastic only problem I am on eu server so cant get any teams and stuck in the death spiral now am trying hard listening and wanting to improve my pvp game willing to learn and listen must be over 20 game losing streak though – but wont happen I think. I have lost the will! stuck in emerald for an eternity definitely my worst ever in game experience!

(edited by godsie.2864)

in PvP

Posted by: godsie.2864

godsie.2864

Boom.

This agree entirely take the AP’s out as well would I think really solve a lot of the issues

in PvP

Cyanon.1928

ETS guild has been growing and now many good players are having a chance to end their losing streak and overcome our current fail matchmaking system by doing parties with like minded players now available as guildies.

This was a great Idea for those who want to keep pvping despite the current core problems.

If you read this thread and you are interested to know more, feel free join ETS and start making parties or joining parties with ppl from within your current division rank.

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

Can someone invite me to the guild. I always forget to try and join when I’m in game, and I’m sure the guild could come in handy when my winning streak finally stops.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

So what your saying is, party up! It’s your only hope!

Sorry no. The system is a mess that ANet made to pacify the “pros” who cried at how hard it was for them to progress in season one when they where playing people of equal skill. Anyone who thinks this season is better than the first is kidding them self’s. After this mess the uptake on the next season will.probably be a lot lower than this one. ANet have already increased the pip range to find team to shorten the queues. People in mid sapphire have reported going up against teams of full to part ruby’s, that are not in party’s. So this proves one of 2 things, the player base is too spread out, or there are less people playing. Or maybe just maybe it’s both. So keeping a few hundred “pro” players happy at the coat of everyone else has been worth it then to ANet.

So far all this season as been is an exercise in what not to do with a PvP league.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|