The Zerg is the way to farm glory

in PvP

Posted by: Pimpslapper.2047

Pimpslapper.2047

I have reached level 20 spvp and the sad state of spvp is that there is no reason to win the maps. The best way to gain the most amount of glory is to kill NPCs on the map (Svanir and Chieftain and trebs) and to run in a zerg and kill as many people as you can.
Edit – I try to help my team win as much as I can but in the end, I end up getting less points…is this working as intended?

There is no incentive to win. There is not enough points to defend or take points and there is way too many points for killing NPCs(though treb is about right).

Make people want to win the maps, it will make it much more fun. When your team wins you get a massive glory gain, and losers get nothing, or very little.

The point system needs a revamp, because while zerging is fun, it gets mind-numbing at level 20.

(edited by Pimpslapper.2047)

in PvP

Posted by: froggy.4263

froggy.4263

I agree that there are weaknesses to the current point system, although it has benefits in reducing glory points for potential “bots”. The problem with having a standardised glory reward system for the winning team would be an increase ‘bots’ efficiency to glory farm since it would be much easier to create a simple macro and do nothing. A revised glory point reward system might work if ‘report function’ is also introduce at the same time to punish such abusers.

Personally I play to win and couldn’t care less if I get less glory. I acknowledge that people are different and want to be rewarded for their contribution rather than mindless ‘zerg’ and tag the capture points (dominant in hotjoin spvp). I believe that a revision to the point system should be considered but only after careful testing to ensure proper implementation of a system that is more rewarding to different playstyles (such as the point defenders). It is often hard to implement a system that is both ‘fair’ (which is so subjective) and non-abusable.

For the current moment, I recommend that you form a group from friends and do some tournament pvp as it is “less zergy”. Even though you will receive less glory, it is quite fun and can be competitive against good teams.

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

The point system doesn’t need to be simpler, it needs to be more complex.

For example: get steady points for when you stand on a defended point.
Granted, this IS in the favour of bots, but it gets better:
once enemy players are getting near, you get increased points for each 5 seconds (or whatever small ammount of time) you can keep the point.
You might even get a ‘dying’ bonus that is multiplied by the number of players killing you.

Killing a player away from a point, gives you points but less than now.

Helping to kill a player gives less points, the more players thre are to help you. Anything between 15 on a 1v1 at a point, down to 5 if you basically zerged a player at a point.

Points for killing players are given in the same amount if you did supporting actions instead of the bulk of the damage (if that support went on most of the fighting).

These are just random ideas, but they would lesten the zerging by a large ammount, and they could also reduce the usage of pure burst builds in spvp.

And some things just need bigger rewards: trebuchets used on players or points should give more, that sort of thing.
Also: what’s the deal with getting 5 points for volunteering to swap? 15 or 20 would be more appropriate.

The dev’s can come up with better mechanics, I just feel like they didn’t test it all enough.
spvp does feel a bit too much like beta to me. Especially with just the 1 type of battle to play.

Having only capture point maps also increases the usage of certain mechanics in bigger pugs (so zerging…) as well as it promotes certain builds in larger groups (since there is no use defending right now).

And why are spvp battles 8v8 which is bound to lead to zerging, while tpvp are 5 which is bound to lead to coordinating on the existing maps?
This too plays a role in the way spvp point allocation goes the wrong way.
Just force spvp pugs to work together better, instead of allowing them to zerg without any communication at all. The very number of players involved sometimes simply promotes this.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

While you guys are zerging, I run round the back and neut+cap your point for faster glory. thx mate

in PvP

Kimbald.2697

While you guys are zerging, I run round the back and neut+cap your point for faster glory. thx mate

so do we all at times, but the point is that you don’t defend it after.
You, just like the rest of us mortals simply runs of and either joins the zerg if you meet them killing players, or play the mini running game and go for the non contested points the enemy captured.

I do what you describe all day in spvp, and indeed it rewards me more points than fighting. Fightng only beats this… if I join a zerg from point to point.

Defending a point you took would only result in you being overrun in seconds for absolutely no points gained.
That is the main issue with the point system.

Every one runs around from point to point, and it’s only worth fighting if you know you have the advantage (either by burst or by number of players with you).

in PvP

milo.6942

Well, I usually do defend a point for a bit. I consider it practice for tourneys. Not the greatest thing for glory gain, but I’m still getting something out of it.

in PvP

Kimbald.2697

Well, I usually do defend a point for a bit. I consider it practice for tourneys. Not the greatest thing for glory gain, but I’m still getting something out of it.

I can respect that fully.
It is indeed great practice.

But seeing the possible numbers of players in spvp, that will more often get you stomped by 3 or more, than it will lead to fights where you stand a chance alone.
Much would be different if spvp was also 5v5 instead of the possible 8v8.

I’m not arguing your playstyle by the way. On the contrary: it sounds like how I prefer playing.
I’m arguing against the point system, not rewarding this very playstyle.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

if the game was built around e-sport, rank/chosmetics would be gained only by tournaments, and in 8v8 one could only farm glory for chests, not for rank……..
/thread

/sorry for bad english

in PvP

Posted by: Fantom.9217

Fantom.9217

Yup, I purposefully cap a point and leave immediately. It draws the enemy to the point that I just took and I can then run off to another point that they just left undefended and take it. And the cycle continues.

If you are farming glory then there is literally no reason to play smart or defend. It’s so sad.

I don’t understand why ArenaNet is ruining literally every legitimate sPVP game because of the fear of a few bots. Has anyone ever even seen a bot in sPVP? I play late at night, during the day, and in prime time. Never seen anyone that is botting.

All you need to do to fix botting is to introduce a report feature. There is NO EXCUSE for not rewarding defensive (i.e. smart) play. The current meta game is absurd, but until ANet changes it I’m going to zerg and ninja cap with the best of them.

in PvP

Posted by: Kneru.8014

Kneru.8014

All they have to do is add points for people that are constantly standing in a node. People will be more likely to defend then.

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

All they have to do is add points for people that are constantly standing in a node. People will be more likely to afk on the node then.

fixed.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

you are getting less glory though because you arent killing anyone just avoiding combat to flip nodes, the zerg is killing people and flipping nodes

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

milo.6942

@Sprawl I don’t think you can tell me how much glory I am getting. I often place 1st on my team and sometimes on the server. Sometimes I go with the zerg, but when they get too caught up in the fighting it’s best to just leave them.

To help fix the lack of interest in winning spvp matches, they should just give a higher glory bonus for winning. They’ve mostly fixed the autobalance issues they were having, so I think now they need to give people incentive to help their team win.

in PvP

Posted by: Akeif.7491

Akeif.7491

Awarding glory to player in the winning team would definitly be totally so simple :p
Why would you want to get higher glory rank anyway? It doesnt give any benefits only match you against higher ranks players.

in PvP

milo.6942

Awarding glory to player in the winning team would definitly be totally so simple :p
Why would you want to get higher glory rank anyway? It doesnt give any benefits only match you against higher ranks players.

• lol glory does not match-make at all
  • higher glory rank gives you access to cooler gear
  • it may not be so simple to “just give more glory” but it seems to be the least complicated solution to change spvp from zerg to try-to-win