"The game you go to for PvP"

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/31/pax-prime-2013-guild-wars-2-prepares-to-blow-your-mind-all-o/

“Don’t make the mistake that ArenaNet is ignoring its PvP and WvW community, as that would be dumb and an Asura will take advantage of your mental weakness. “We want Guild Wars 2 to be the game people go to when they think of PvP,” Johanson said.

For PvP, while there’s nothing super-exciting on the horizon, the crew was happy with the additions made over the past year, including custom arenas and the big tournament that is taking place here at PAX. Looking forward, the team sees that many PvPers are desiring short- and medium-term goals, and the team will be working on giving them ways to achieve just that."

You have professionals who write, edit, and proofread these press releases, right? How did this one get out? The PvP community hates the current meta almost universally, you’ve got nothing big planned for PvP (after listing all the awesome kitten PvE and WvW are getting), but GW2 should still be “The game you go to for PvP”? Why? Because it’s the only one out there atm? That won’t last forever guys.

Wouldn’t it have been more satisfying to individually spit in every single tourney attendants face at PAX?

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

The crew is not happy

in PvP

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

DAoC for lyfe

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

If DAOC2 comes out and is buy to play it would CRUSH gw2

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

The saddest part is watching the PvP community just get the cold shoulder from the pvp “development team” in regards to every helpful suggestion, comment, temporary fix, permanent solution, or glaring problem with their game.

Its like they want to beat us into submission until we finally play THEIR game the way THEY want us to.

Unfortunately, we act like a woman who has suffered long term spousal abuse, but refuses to end the relationship.

“We have your money, leave your opinion at the door.”

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

People still come to this game for PvP. They just play world vs. world.

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

Unfortunately, WvW is more influenced by PvE than PvP.

Without the automatic gear balance, WvW is just like every other gear treadmill game.

in PvP

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Without the automatic gear balance, WvW is just like every other gear treadmill game.

I don’t think you have ever played wvw.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

No, I haven’t.

I’m basing my statement on 2 things.

A) Most “PvP” only splits are just that – WvW and PvE in one category, PvP in the other.
B) in WvW, your gear is non-standardized, like it is in PvP. I don’t want my access to gear to have any influence on whether or not I win.

in PvP

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

No, I haven’t.

A) Most “PvP” only splits are just that – WvW and PvE in one category, PvP in the other.
B) in WvW, your gear is non-standardized, like it is in PvP. I don’t want my access to gear to have any influence on whether or not I win.

Gear doesn’t have that great of an impact on your ability to win in WvW, unless you’re running White, Blue or Green gear. You probs wouldn’t notice it, I just noticed recently that my War was running some green Trinkets but I was still wrecking.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

I think it is a given that they’ll do a skill balance, maybe even the Sigil update will come down the pipe.

Short term, mid term goals should be that incentive that is wanted.

How much more is wanted? There’s a lot of things that be “nice”
but outside of another game mode there isn’t a huge craving from me for anything “big”.

skill balance(maybe map balance) would be fine.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

No, I haven’t.

Gear doesn’t have that great of an impact on your ability to win in WvW, unless you’re running White, Blue or Green gear. You probs wouldn’t notice it, I just noticed recently that my War was running some green Trinkets but I was still wrecking.

It doesn’t matter how “great” the impact is, it’s there, and I’m uninterested. Others might feel differently, but that’s how I feel.

In addition, not strictly controlling the possible stat combinations can lead to crazy min-maxing, which isn’t as easy to balance as a limited set of options is.

in PvP

dreztina.4820

It doesn’t matter how “great” the impact is, it’s there, and I’m uninterested. Others might feel differently, but that’s how I feel.

In addition, not strictly controlling the possible stat combinations can lead to crazy min-maxing, which isn’t as easy to balance as a limited set of options is.

The stat difference is almost nonexistent and citing balance as a concern when spvp is in the state it is is quite the joke. You don’t have to like wvw, but you should probably learn what you are talking about before acting like an authority on the matter.

Maguuma

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

The stat difference is almost nonexistent and citing balance as a concern when spvp is in the state it is is quite the joke. You don’t have to like wvw, but you should probably learn what you are talking about before acting like an authority on the matter.

I was expressing my opinion. I offered facts to support why I feel the way I do. If you thought I was attempting to act like an authority on the matter, you are incorrect.

As I already said, In the post that you quoted in fact, Almost nonexistent != Nonexistent.

Furthermore, ability/trait/etc balance is separate from stat access. I appreciate PvP’s limited options ensuring everyone has the same exact access to the same exact total stat pool via gear, and that there is a hard cap on how high each individual stat can get that is lower then it is in WvW/PvE. It’s not like we don’t see min-maxing in PvP, it’s just less severe than in WvW by design.

WvW is separate from PvP by Anets own design choices – PvP has gotten a number of PvP only ability splits to bring balance to that format, where the WvW skill is still equivelent to the PvE skill. That is a fact. It is my opinion that this, and the other facts I listed make WvW more akin to PvE than PvP.

There is a large discrepancy between the total stats you can get in PvP and those you can get in WvW (unless I missed a massive nerf to WvW, which while possible, seems unlikely). Though I am basing this on players listing their WvW setup/stats, so I suppose I could be incorrectly remembering things.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in PvP

Posted by: Nettle.9025

Nettle.9025

Its called Camelot Unchained and its coming next year

Badding up tourneys since 2012
NA tPvP – Elementalist – Thief

in PvP

Lopez.7369

Most people in world vs. world are essentially wild animals. If you’re in the top 40 percentile in structured PvP, you could probably 1v5 the average player while wearing full greens.

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

Most people in world vs. world are essentially wild animals. If you’re in the top 40 percentile in structured PvP, you could probably 1v5 the average player while wearing full greens.

I’ve noticed that as well.

I’ve watched alot of those “Watch me decimate people in WvW!” video’s, and they’re usually hilarious. Most of the players appear to have absolutely no idea what they’re doing. Just from my experience fighting other classes (2300 of my 2600 games are on thief), I’m convinced I can play them better than many of the actual players did in said fights.

in PvP

Posted by: Alkaholic.3875

Alkaholic.3875

That game looks TERRIBLE!!!!!

in PvP

Lopez.7369

My husband and I have seen some people take like five-plus minutes to kill sentry guards in world vs. world. A functioning human being without disabilities should be killing them in like 30 seconds at most.

Still, it’s a lot of fun to win outnumbered fights. But I actually get bored in world vs. world when the fights are even.

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

A functioning human being without disabilities should be killing them in like 30 seconds at most.

Were they a guardian? :P

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: Issues.5789

Issues.5789

My husband and I

Must have a hell of a romantic and dangerous lifestyle.

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

Btw, dreztina.
Wvw – http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAsYVkYmTAePAAAA0KAQ3DAAAAA-j0BBoLERjsBCiZPFRjtNoIasKbYqXER1WzFRrGA-w

Pvp – http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAsYVkYmTAePAAAA0KAQ3DAAAAA-TgAA1CnIQShkDJDSSksIB

I came up with this spec with 0 WvW knowledge, so perhaps its unattainable (but I’ve seen people recommending ruby orbs as a “cheap, easy” option for gear upgrades) or poorly built.

Assuming my WvW spec isn’t made up of impossible to get gear or very stupidly built, the WvW spec runs roughly 150 more power, 30 more precision, 150 more toughness, 115 more vitality, and 8% more crit damage. that’s a pretty tremendous difference.

in PvP

dreztina.4820

It’s unfortunate that spvpers never experience the competitive side of roaming wvw. The average zerger is bad of course, but the dedicated small scale roamers are as good as spvpers. Obviously skill levels vary by person, but I’ve fought people in wvw that could meet or beat anyone I’ve fought in s/tpvp. I’d think with all the reminiscing about DAoC there’d be more understanding about open world combat, but guess not.

Maguuma

in PvP

Lopez.7369

A functioning human being without disabilities should be killing them in like 30 seconds at most.

Were they a guardian? :P

I meant groups of people. But even a guardian shouldn’t be taking five-plus minutes to kill a guard. (That time estimate is not an exaggeration, by the way.)

It’s unfortunate that spvpers never experience the competitive side of roaming wvw. The average zerger is bad of course, but the dedicated small scale roamers are as good as spvpers. Obviously skill levels vary by person, but I’ve fought people in wvw that could meet or beat anyone I’ve fought in s/tpvp. I’d think with all the reminiscing about DAoC there’d be more understanding about open world combat, but guess not.

This is true. The average player is the equivalent of an ape, but there are a few excellent roamers.

Funnily enough, some of the best roamers I’ve fought were in mid-tier servers instead of high-tier.

in PvP

Posted by: Barret.4095

Barret.4095

yea i like the small scale skirmishes in wvw more than the action in pvp. i mean the combat is why i still play this game, it’s nice to just straight up go deathmatch style and just kill each other without worrying about capturing points. and if you think about it, wvw is actually more balanced than pvp cause of how op everything is with foods and ascended gear.
only downside is that you might have to do a little pve to acquire your gear.

“For those whose time and dedication went above and beyond, only to achieve mediocrity”

in PvP

Lopez.7369

I think roaming fights can take more skill and thought, too. They’re not as scripted as fights based around conquest mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

I meant groups of people. But even a guardian shouldn’t be taking five-plus minutes to kill a guard. (That time estimate is not an exaggeration, by the way.)

The only way I could actually see that as being possible, without the player eventually dying to the Sentry, was either because they were a level 2 thief or they were a level 2 thief bot trying to mash 222222 before unlocking it.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

Regardless how people feel about WvW, PvP and WvW are very obviously split. We’re in the SPvP forums, this is concerning SPvP

Claiming that this game is "The place to go for PvP’ is rather disingenuous, considering what a mess the current SPvP meta is and the communities almost unanimous hated for it, the problems with Solo Q, the dissatisfaction with 1 (UND ONLY ONE!) game mode combined with all the PvE and WvW upgrades they’re touting and the admittance that SPvP has “Nothing super-exciting on the horizon”.

in PvP

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/31/pax-prime-2013-guild-wars-2-prepares-to-blow-your-mind-all-o/

“Don’t make the mistake that ArenaNet is ignoring its PvP and WvW community, as that would be dumb and an Asura will take advantage of your mental weakness. “We want Guild Wars 2 to be the game people go to when they think of PvP,” Johanson said.

I thought this was sarcasm. Guess we wont be seeing any good PvP in 2013.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in PvP

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

The ones that hate sPvP are the vocal minority obviously. The devs are clearly voicing the opinion of the silent majority, the demographic that only ANet are conveniently aware of and are somehow a good gauge of quality despite being silent…

Or it could just be PR fluff, like most of the articles of recent. Push comes to shove, sales are more important than honesty.

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Yes the silent majority cheesing it as hard as possible on their new ranger/warrior/necro/thief builds

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

Yes the silent majority cheesing it as hard as possible on their new ranger/warrior/necro/thief builds

What does it say about the “elite” of the community (all the competitors at PAX), when they run the stinkiest of cheese builds in a tournament?

in PvP

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

“Terrible” is a couple of steps up from the dire state pvp in this game is in.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

But let’s face is it… going to WvW to work on your pvp is a bit like going to an orphanage to work on your boxing.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

But let’s face is it… going to WvW to work on your pvp is a bit like going to an orphanage to work on your boxing.

True.

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Unfortunately, we act like a woman who has suffered long term spousal abuse, but refuses to end the relationship.

This.
This is every dedicated PvPer in GW2. We invested so much we dont want to let it go.

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

This.
This is every dedicated PvPer in GW2. We invested so much we dont want to let it go.

Well, credit where credit is due – akittens very core, GW2 is an amazing concept. The basics are unlike any other MMO I’ve ever personally played for PvP. It’s easy to become so disappointed when they take something that could be truly amazing and revolutionary and bury it under a pile of lag, year long unaddressed bugs, ignoring the community, treating PvP as an afterthought, and awful, awful balance decisions.

Its like they cashed in all their chips for this 1 amazing idea, and then they were done – they had to build the rest of the game with idiots ideas and popsicle sticks.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

If it hadn’t the potential so many players saw in GW2 then we wouldn’t be here, 1 year later, QQ’ing on the forums while basicly knowing the answer (based on the previous year).

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Alkaholic.3875

Alkaholic.3875

“Terrible” is a couple of steps up from the dire state pvp in this game is in.

A game you’ve never played is in no way better than this. Stop being draft.

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

This.

Well, credit where credit is due – akittens very core, GW2 is an amazing concept. The basics are unlike any other MMO I’ve ever personally played for PvP. It’s easy to become so disappointed when they take something that could be truly amazing and revolutionary and bury it under a pile of lag, year long unaddressed bugs, ignoring the community, treating PvP as an afterthought, and awful, awful balance decisions.

Its like they cashed in all their chips for this 1 amazing idea, and then they were done – they had to build the rest of the game with idiots ideas and popsicle sticks.

Well what I know from what I heard from formers. Arenanet isn’t the greatest company to work for…so a lot of the talent that was present during early/mid GW2 development moved onto other projects with other companies (and the few I know are working on amazingly more successful titles). So its likely the reason it feels like they had a couple ideas…then just slapped the rest together with no direction, is because the people with direction left before it was completed…..that is my theory anyway.