The most lethal thief I've encountered.

in PvP

Posted by: Skyline.3480

Skyline.3480

Today I found the most peculiar thief I’ve ever seen. His name was As…. L… X. That’s all I remember, I’m not trying to protect his identity. He would play in a very sneaky manner, using a weapon that I assume was a scepter, it fired some sort of colorful distorted wavy laser.

The thief would start by teleporting to my location to detonate some bomb, and teleport away as fast as he got in. Then he would proceed to fire his laser at me, to annoy me mostly because it did very little damage, and spam a constant flow of sticky bombs my way. The explosions not only did a great deal of damage they would inflict a variety of conditions, the most annoying of which was cripple, which of course was covered by the rest.

I play mace/focus – greatsword meditation guardian. So I’m forced to melee this guy. I start swirling my GS#2 and instantly use my one teleport, I barely hit him 3 times before he teleports away. I eat the bomb he was standing on of course. I use my long CD utility that clears all conditions and leap at him with my GS. I’m met with a mid air greeting of cripple, poison and bleeds. I remove the latter with my last utility, but the most troublesome, cripple, happily lingers. GS#5 he dodges. At this point I’m a sitting duck, while he merrily hurls his huge radius AoE bombs at me. I change to mace/focus and block 4 explosions. He doges my focus laser. He teleports back I use my mace#2 and connect some blows. He stealths away not before damaging me greatly. From there it wasn’t long before he downed me.

This scenario repeated itself a few times during the course of several games. Of course I only count the times I managed to engage him without my or his teammate’s disturbance. Out of 4-5 encounters I managed to kill him once but it wasn’t fair, he must have been talking on the phone while playing with one hand and eating popcorn or had a huge lag spike or something.

While this guy’s skill level was obviously much higher than mine I don’t think he was a high level PvP player. I assume this because at one point right after he kills me he says something like: “It’s so sad, your team can’t even win 1v1” An elephant has no need to gloat when he crushes a fly.

I managed to observe him before he logged off. He had 20K health.

As a meditation guard, how can I deal with this sort of playstyle? I welcome any tips, suggestions, thanks.

(edited by Skyline.3480)

in PvP

Posted by: SnowCow.5914

SnowCow.5914

Only few have ever survived the legend at is LX. He is a omen, if you see this thief just know that all hope is lost…

Can’t win team fight’s without me; can’t hold points without me. #BunkerGuardLife
Teszla

in PvP

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

Today I found the most peculiar thief I’ve ever seen. His name was As…. L… X. That’s all I remember, I’m not trying to protect his identity. He would play in a very sneaky manner, using a weapon that I assume was a scepter, it fired some sort of colorful distorted wavy laser.

The thief would start by teleporting to my location to detonate some bomb, and teleport away as fast as he got in. Then he would proceed to fire his laser at me, to annoy me mostly because it did very little damage, and spam a constant flow of sticky bombs my way. The explosions not only did a great deal of damage they would inflict a variety of conditions, the most annoying of which was cripple, which of course was covered by the rest.

I play mace/focus – greatsword meditation guardian. So I’m forced to melee this guy. I start swirling my GS#2 and instantly use my one teleport, I barely hit him 3 times before he teleports away. I eat the bomb he was standing on of course. I use my long CD utility that clears all conditions and leap at him with my GS. I’m met with a mid air greeting of cripple, poison and bleeds. I remove the latter with my last utility, but the most troublesome, cripple, happily lingers. GS#5 he dodges. At this point I’m a sitting duck, while he merrily hurls his huge radius AoE bombs at me. I change to mace/focus and block 4 explosions. He doges my focus laser. He teleports back I use my mace#2 and connect some blows. He stealths away not before damaging me greatly. From there it wasn’t long before he downed me.

This scenario repeated itself a few times during the course of several games. Of course I only count the times I managed to engage him without my or his teammate’s disturbance. Out of 4-5 encounters I managed to kill him once but it wasn’t fair, he must have been talking on the phone while playing with one hand and eating popcorn or had a huge lag spike or something.

While this guy’s skill level was obviously much higher than mine I don’t think he was a high level PvP player. I assume this because at one point right after he kills me he says something like: “It’s so sad, your team can’t even win 1v1” An elephant has no need to gloat when he crushes a fly.

I managed to observe him before he logged off. He had 20K health.

As a meditation guard, how can I deal with this sort of abuse? I welcome any tips, suggestions, thanks.

this makes no sense at any point:
1. thief cannot use scepter
2. thief has no access to explosives that resemble what you described, except possibly for clusterbomb on shortbow
3. no thief build can achieve 20k hp while still remaining offensively viable

so either you got rolled playing against some incredibly weird hot join build and are describing things poorly/exaggerating, or this… didn’t happen?

in PvP

Skyline.3480

His name was not L.. X it started with an A, followed by an S as in As some more characters, possibly “Assure”, I’m not certain. The second word started with an L and last there was a single X. That makes As… L…. X.

I swear I’m speaking the truth. If not a scepter it was a Gem Store weapon that fired wavy colorful shots. It didnt sound like a shorbow sounds either. Plus it fired slower than a shortbow, or at least the fancy animation gave that illusion. Also after the bombs exploded there were small pointy fragments on the floor, shrapnel like.

Bear in mind that I’m used to eating thieves for breakfast but this different. It felt like I was fighting an engineer on steroids that could teleport and stealth at will.

(edited by Skyline.3480)

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

1) im not guard main but for pvp u almost need the scepter, or sword is also more used than the mace in dps medi build.

2) he is playing a “troll 1v1 build” which in real tpvp is useless. Pvp is balanced around getting to 500 aka capture nodes, and not offpoint fights or wvw open field roaming. Fight him on a node and he has nowhere to run.

3) hotjoin is not real pvp, poeple play it more for quick fights rather than actualy looking at map and fighting as a team and defending the capture points.
So builds like this may seem strong here, ignore it.

4) what u described looks like pistol/dager carrion condi thief with caltrops utility skill and caltrops on dodge trait.
Im getting lazy at this point, but the way u deal with them in tourny is
- ignore them in teamfights, kill anotjer target first, then 3v4 gank him
- with someone sustainy, go on a node , cap it, and let him waste his time dancimg around you
- 2v1 insta kill him with ur thief
- let him lose the condi game against a better condi class like necro or engie
- in general once ull improve, anything can beat it in pvp, in wvw just shrug and run and ignore them

Tl,dr: look up what pistol condi thief means and laugh it away

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

sinject.4607

His name was not L.. X it started with an A, followed by an S as in As some more characters. the second word started with an L and last there was a single X. That makes As… L…. X

I swear I’m speaking the truth. If not a scepter it was a Gem Store weapon that fired wavy colorful shots. It didnt sound like a shorbow sounds either. Plus it fire slower than a shortbow, or at least the fancy animation gave that illusion. Also after the bombs exploded there were small pointy fragments on the floor.

Bear in mind that I’m used to eating thieves for breakfast but this different. It felt like I was fighting an engineer on steroids that could teleport and stealth at will.

it sounds like you possibly fought a condition thief with a legendary shortbow (has a unique animation, look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSdHMLgJ1N4) that was spec’d for caltrops (the pointy things) on dodge or had the utility skill at least. this is the best explanation i can give you.

in PvP

Posted by: Neptune.2570

Neptune.2570

I fighted this guy once. After I died from a scepter backstab I noticed it was actually 4 thieves with the same name all running around. He is actually really bad and had to get 3 pother friends to make the same name and all look the same to kill me

Daliriant, Dr Octogon [Champion Illusionist]
Mellowpuff [Champion Hunter]

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

-The Thief was teleporting with cluster bombs on short bow.
-He was probably using The Dreamer and firing unicorns and rainbows, that could be mistaken for lasers
-His 20k health could have easily been from Carrion + full Acrobatics tier.

You should not have used your Judge’s Intervention on him. You cannot pressure a class who evades 24/7.
Save your Stun Breakers for when that thief pops his Elite and stones you. Since you’re using protectors strike, i’d advise you to be on that weapon first so you can get a quick block off after you stunbreak.

Regardless, you are at a complete disadvantage with Mace because he will kite you to death with his bow. You would need to switch builds in order to beat a class like that.
… i’m curious how was he able to take the time to do this to you… Condi Thieves aren’t exactly Zerkers… where was your team during this 50s fight? Unless you didn’t have Absolute Resolution and Contemplate of purity, you should have lasted a bit before you went down.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

this is a troll thread.
the end.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in PvP

Skyline.3480

… i’m curious how was he able to take the time to do this to you… Condi Thieves aren’t exactly Zerkers… where was your team during this 50s fight?

We were always fighting on point. Either I was capturing or I caught him capturing. I caught him once in between points but I didnt bother.

Yes the fights were not short. But weren’t that long either. I only have two condition removal utilities, and I use one of them offensively so that pretty much leaves one.

I spec 0/2/6/6/0 so I didn’t have absolute resolution.

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

The only counter against that thief is Turret Engineer.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

in PvP

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

on this World living 6 billionen people because L.. X it started with an A, followed by an S let them.

L.. X it started with an A, followed by an S is so allknowing he remember the past

Yes he is a Legend under Legends

L.. X it started with an A, followed by an S know how to use a scepter and bombs because he eats every morning an Guardian and an Engi to breakfast.

Be happy you still life…. i mean in real life

in PvP

Skyline.3480

on this World living 6 billionen people because L.. X it started with an A, followed by an S let them.

L.. X it started with an A, followed by an S is so allknowing he remember the past

L.. X it started with an A, followed by an S know how to use a scepter and bombs because he eats every morning an Guardian and an Engi to breakfast.

Thank you, you brought tears to my eyes and gave my abdomen and jaw a much needed workout.

in PvP

sinject.4607

jesus christ what is going on in this post

in PvP

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Since a thief can’t use a scepter, could he have been using Quip? That pistol has an unusual shape that could be mistaken for a scepter and has laser like lights. It also throws confetti around.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

in PvP

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

You obviously haven’t met cruuk. If you had he would have decapitated you so fast you wouldn’t even dare to call anybody else the most lethal thief.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

wavy lazer sounds like the shortbow that fires unicorns. A legendary I believe. “Sticky bombs?” Caltrops maybe? Sword/dagger thief with uncatchable traited and a legendary shortbow might answer that description.

Sticky bombs could also describe gunk stolen then used on the OP

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: AndRec.3496

AndRec.3496

guys , guys, was a pu mesmer! the scepter torment attack is a pink ray, and the bomb is the stealth end from torch.

in PvP

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

I think I’ve seen this thief while doing dailies in hotjoin server 007 (because its name is mildly amusing.) They were indeed a condi spec with the dreamer that used caltrops named ‘Axxx Sxxxxx X’ (the small x’s are to preserve their anonymity in the unlikely event that they actually care, the large X is real.)

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

The only counter against that thief is Turret Engineer.

Way to sneak in that turret hate.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

it obviously was a mesmer

a pu mesmer bragging about winning 1 vs 1… xD

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos.2108

Chaos.2108

Wow, clearly a Scepter/Torch – Staff mesmer using clone death traits (stealth does NOT mean PU). Congratulations OP, you messed with a lot of minds today, I envy you.

in PvP

Posted by: Elitist.8701

Elitist.8701

You obviously haven’t met cruuk. If you had he would have decapitated you so fast you wouldn’t even dare to call anybody else the most lethal thief.

What has happened to this game….

Cruuk is one of the worst thieves I’ve ever fought. He camps stealth near far point, all you have to do to counter him is place an engi there and he’ll do nothing all game. He can’t actually 1v1 anything that isn’t a zerker. Even vs zerkers his reactions and overall mechanical skill is so low you can instagib him and he wont react.

OP, the thief build you’re describing doesn’t exist and if you’re talking about PD Condi Thief…. that build is awful and doesn’t do anything unless you let it.

Best Multiclass NA. RIP my beautiful Necromancer, such a shame. Retired, April 2015. GG Anet,
I’m not coming back, not that you care.

in PvP

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

ITT: idiots actually taking this thread seriously

Second Child