The plague that is AFK

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Jockum.1385

Jockum.1385

Punishments don’t work.

The community is not able to tell if a player plays bad on purpose or not.
There are many (unexperienced?) players that suicide on far when their team needs them mid. Ban them?
Ban people that are not stomping or rezzing?
Ban people for using terrible builds? Ban people for not switching their class to something more useful in this setup? All of this could be on purpose.

How do you tell the difference between a bad player protecting close even when no protection is needed – and a player afking on close? Both will ruin your game, but one of them should not be punished.
How to tell the difference between a bad player actually fighting and a player running into the enemie aoes, using 2 skills and dying on purpose? Especially glas builds can die pretty fast because of a mistake – or on purpose.

Other games try to understand why people afk or why they are hostile. Those games try to get rid of the reasons for such a behaviour. For example a personal kill/death statistic instead of a win/loss statistic causes players to care less about a lost game. But it might give players a reason to throw a match and just focus on having a good statistic.
Hot-join games like most egoshooters got no problem with afkers. People leave if they don’t like their team. Etc.

—>
You can’t force players to play. If they don’t like the matchup they will quit. Or afk. Or play bad on purpose. Or insult their teammates. Or just give “advice” like “press f near a downed enemy to kill him”.

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Sooloo.1364

Sooloo.1364

I’m not aware of any competitive environment that seeks to understand why players are committing fouls.

[/quote]

You also rarely see any competitive environment with such an unfair and biased system for selecting and awarding matches, so there’s that.

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

1. NCAA tournament puts #1 seeds vs. #16. This is pretty standard for any competitive tournament.
  2. There are plenty of people/teams in any sport at any level that have absolutely no shot at winning. If you expect a prize for participation collect your daily login reward and be happy.
  3. The issue is not the math behind the system. The issue is people trying to game the system by paring with people way beyond their skill level, or people throwing temper tantrums because they can’t faceroll their matches like you can in PVE.
  4. The math behind the system will make better matches for people that play consistently. Throwing matches on purpose is counter productive. It will just give your account higher variability which means worse quality matches. The more people that do it the worse the matches will be.

I’m not aware of any competitive environment that seeks to understand why players are committing fouls.

You also rarely see any competitive environment with such an unfair and biased system for selecting and awarding matches, so there’s that.

[/quote]

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

A harsh banhammer won´t work. I might do more damage then it will do good. You need to motivate players to actually play. But i am still thinking giving an option for players to dishonour by a 4 player vote is a way to help the comunity to react to bad behavior. I don´t think it will be overused or do you think 4 random players will agree to grief someone just for fun very often?

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Sooloo.1364

Sooloo.1364

A harsh banhammer won´t work. I might do more damage then it will do good. You need to motivate players to actually play. But i am still thinking giving an option for players to dishonour by a 4 player vote is a way to help the comunity to react to bad behavior. I don´t think it will be overused or do you think 4 random players will agree to grief someone just for fun very often?

I think the second an angry person initiates a vote because the team is doing poorly the others will just follow blindly. I see it in fractals all of the time. Oftentimes the noisy angry guy is the problem, not the AFK guy.

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

This means the world consists of selfishesness, hate and lemmings …

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

To those who say that it is okay to go afk becouse you are down with 300 points.

I have been in many matches where my team or the enemy team has been loosing with 300 points, but then suddenly happens and the game takes a sharp turn and the loosing team wins. The game is not lost until it is lost, going afk during the game no matter how much you sre loosing is I beleave not allowed.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

I feel your pain really OP. I hate afk’ers with a passion but at the moment there is not much u can do about them. All u can do is implement a system that prevents AFK AT Base. staying at base for longer then 30 seconds won’t have a strategical benefit unless u are all wiped and or legacy of the foefire u could for example allow a 20 sec waiting time at base if 4 or teammates are downed or wiped with less then 25 percent health.. U could set an strategical defence outside the foefire camp. that can deduce. whenever an invader is within a 1200 units of radius of the camps door at foefire. only then u can stay at base indefinately. if not the timer restarts from 0 to 30 and and once 30 is hit. U get a stack of dishonour.or some kitten.

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

But you have to remember people like Faux Play.6104 are the reasons for stuff like
Brexit happening and such. Because the world for a fact contains all of what you have said. Only thing is it’s the behavior mostly of all the people in power. That gets to dictate the quality or how little quality of life you have.

But yeah people playing advertised profession Sports get paid to do that. People in video games pay to be provided a fun and engaging experience they can not get irl. People don’t pay to play video games for crappy unfair match ups every 9 out of 10 times every time they play. But as time goes by it does seem like more and more players in GW2 are in fact paying and pushing for ANet to make boring lop sided matches.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

I think the system produces competitive matches. If you think I’m the root of all the world’s problems because I think throwing a match is bad for the community as well as your future matches, fine. I would seriously suggest you review how the matchmaker works and stop endorsing behaviors that no matchmaking system can deal with.

But you have to remember people like Faux Play.6104 are the reasons for stuff like
Brexit happening and such. Because the world for a fact contains all of what you have said. Only thing is it’s the behavior mostly of all the people in power. That gets to dictate the quality or how little quality of life you have.

But yeah people playing advertised profession Sports get paid to do that. People in video games pay to be provided a fun and engaging experience they can not get irl. People don’t pay to play video games for crappy unfair match ups every 9 out of 10 times every time they play. But as time goes by it does seem like more and more players in GW2 are in fact paying and pushing for ANet to make boring lop sided matches.

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

There is no reward for fighting out a bad match. If ANET wishes to address the AFK issue, it will need to convince people that they have a fair chance going in.

I used to believe that honor demanded playing to the end.

Now after 3 seasons of beatings… my attitude is; “Why should I volunteer as a punching bag for the pleasure of others?”

The afk issue is a symptom of the matchmaking and of community attitudes.

When you are being steamrolled you have two basic options; Keep fighting knowing that you will be crushed and very likely mocked as a “baddie,” or stop engaging and get out of the match asap. The result is the same either way.

Which is more appealing?

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

1) Give incentives to play a match all the way through, such as a significant increase in reward track progress for kills, caps, defenses, etc.

2) Add an automatic penalty of some description to players who are neither in combat nor on a point for an extended period of time. People might still afk, but it’ll at least make them put more effort into it.

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

1) Give incentives to play a match all the way through, such as a significant increase in reward track progress for kills, caps, defenses, etc.

2) Add an automatic penalty of some description to players who are neither in combat nor on a point for an extended period of time. People might still afk, but it’ll at least make them put more effort into it.

1.) In my opinion would be a great start to get players engaged farther. Even tho they know that they are going to lose.

2.) this just will not work because as said above. Players will just auto run suicide on points, which does not solve the problem.

A side point is I think what people are really confusing here is. Players just not trying at all as Away from Keyboard “AFKing”. Saying players afk in matches when they are fully well there at the keyboard just not trying. And if you start punishing players for not giving they all, then you now have stepped into the murkiest waters in all of gaming.

Again unless you address and solve the cause there is no solution, to players just not giving there all. More so when the system punishes players if or not they give their all or not by pairing them up with even more brain dead players as team mates, even if said players has the most points individual on the scoreboard at the end of the match.

Stop punishing players for trying and give them a reason to try, and not the fear of a ban. Because at this point I believe many players just don’t care if they get banned from GW2. I suprised Cheat Engine is not a deal in GW2s. Maybe because ANet not as brain dead as most players make them out to be and they made it where Cheat Engine just don’t work for GW2. Kudos to ANet on that front, because can you imagine instead of having to deal with players not giving their all, they are instead using Cheat Engine to modify their stats and resists in GW2. That would be beyond worst then what yall are facing now.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

(edited by Reaper Alim.4176)

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As others have said, you need to give players incentive to fight it out to the end rather than just giving up and “ending it quickly”. And the easiest way to do this is to bring back (and improve) the system from the first Season where if the match was close, you could gain pips even on a loss, while a decent showing (say, 300 – 500) would be enough to cause no pip loss.

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

The match making system still uses this component to determine your rankings.

As others have said, you need to give players incentive to fight it out to the end rather than just giving up and “ending it quickly”. And the easiest way to do this is to bring back (and improve) the system from the first Season where if the match was close, you could gain pips even on a loss, while a decent showing (say, 300 – 500) would be enough to cause no pip loss.

The plague that is AFK

in PvP

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

This was what it was like in the first season?! Holy crap, why did they change it?

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari