The problem with Taunt

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Is that it’s a psychological one.

Taunt is no better than a stun, but there’s something insanely infuriating about seeing your character attack back when you’re screaming “NO. HEAL YOU STUPID kitten!”

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

(edited by JoshuaRAWR.4653)

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

My main gripe with taunt is that it forces your targeting on the taunter, which currently means Ranger pets. In that sense I’d say it is better than stun.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

A good chunk of the time you’re taunted by a pet, the ranger has just swapped to the pet, meaning you’re probably in-range of the Ranger, so you could get some cleave damage off on him.

There’s also the downside that Taunts cause Retaliation and Confusion to still take affect, but yeah.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Not all professions have viable builds with access to cleave.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

My main gripe with taunt is that it forces your targeting on the taunter, which currently means Ranger pets. In that sense I’d say it is better than stun.

Yes but it’s much harder to land than most of the stuns in this game since it relies on an npc with terrible pathing to land it.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

my only issue with it is that it is unavoidable….
and can’t be blinded :/

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

This. Often you can see it coming, but aside from getting out of the 240 radius range, you just can’t avoid it. See them pet swap in melee? Try to dodge, get taunted. Extremely frustrating.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: dominik.9721

dominik.9721

it’s unblockable, undodgeable,blind doesn’t work and it’s instant without any animation.
To summarize: it’s bullkitten and just kittened. Not OP but kittened.

Grimkram [sS]

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

as far as blind goes, im pretty sure its working as intended. Blind doesn’t need to work against everything. Blind currently is too prevalent in gw2 and too strong. Last time I checked, you didn’t need to be able to see, to sling insults and mocking body gestures like pelvic thrusts at the nearest jerk. Not that pets can do those things exactly, but I think u know what I mean. A taunt is not a physical attack against a target, its an AOE gesture that emanates from the body. Have you tried blinding yourself? That might work.

Be glad the blind at least makes the physical f2 attack miss, so you don’t eat my 5k owl burst

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Cynz.9437

Applying real life logic to game, okkkkkkkkk.

All is Vain~

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Zatoichi.1049

Applying real life logic to game, okkkkkkkkk.

Bring nothing else to a conversation when presented with logic, okkkkkkkk. Nice try kitten

Problem is if actually start to apply real life logic to game than everything in this game doesn’t make sense. Why should my character even pay attention to pet when finishing off ranger?Why should pet be able to rez master when i kill it? You would think if i killed the bird i could fry and eat it instead of watching it rezzing ranger.
Why can ranger shoot roots out of their…. yeah, that also continue to attack you.
Why can ranger even use bow when i just stole it?

certain things need to be based in reality, even in magical games. You don’t need to apply real life logic to everything in a game, but sometimes it just makes sense. A “taunt” is just one of those things, that it makes perfect sense logically, for you to:

1. not be able to blind it to avoid it (again, if I cant see u, I can still call you an kitten to make u mad).
2. Not be able to block it with a shield (that’s just dumb).
3. not be able to use skills like Defy Pain to avoid it (unless you consider pain/agitation to be synonymous). or whip you sword around in the air a few times to “evade” it.

Guys, if you can dodge the f2, you can dodge the Taunt. The only F2s that are difficult to dodge are birds, cuz birds are very sticky, and bird f2s are the closest thing we have to an instant f2, thus the Taunt and attack happen AT THE SAME TIME. Predict and dodge f2, dodge the Taunt, cuz they are simultaneous.

Literally no other pet type works well with Taunt, that’s why we use birds for now. When the bird is right on top of you, be ready to get taunted. If you cant be bothered to try and get the pet off of you, (the taunt is 240 radius), or learn when a ranger is going to taunt you, then you deserve to be Taunted.

The reality of it is, people just want to ignore the pet as they have fro the past 2 years, now you have to look out for it. Sorry they pose a threat to you now.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Cynz.9437

Taunt is unavoidable, it goes through evade…. :|

All is Vain~

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Zatoichi.1049

Taunt is unavoidable, it goes through evade…. :|

I was under the impression that they fixed the dodge roll issue.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

A taunt is not a physical attack against a target, its an AOE gesture that emanates from the body.

So is wolf fear and warrior’s fear me, but those can still be blinded (at least I’m 90% sure they can). I mean it doesn’t make sense, the wolf howl is a sound, so blind shouldn’t affect it, but that’s the way it works.

The way I see it, taunt is basically the same as fear, and should have the same effects as it. Meaning it shouldn’t go through blinds, evades, and (as sad as I am to say it) blocks.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Taunt is no better than a stun, but there’s something insanely infuriating about seeing your character attack back when you’re screaming “NO. HEAL YOU STUPID kitten!”

Taunt is better than stun since you can’t blind block or evade it

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

From the Ranger’s standpoint:

Taunt is overly OP in 1v1 situations but still not an effective boost for on-point presence in team fights.

A good rework would be removing Taunt entirely and replacing the trait effect with a small AoE CC such as Fear, Daze, Stun, whatever. This would stop Taunt from being ridiculous in 1v1 but would actually help the Ranger more in on-point team fights.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I vote to remove it from pvp. Or change how it works so that it just redirects damage temporarily.

It would also be nice if killing the ranger pet had a significant impact on the ranger. Nope just swap pets. No biggie. Should daze or stun the ranger when it dies.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

As a necro player, I support the idea of making fear work like taunt – meaning that it can’t be blinded, evaded or blocked :P

Awesome – when can I haz?

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

Guys, if you can dodge the f2, you can dodge the Taunt. The only F2s that are difficult to dodge are birds, cuz birds are very sticky, and bird f2s are the closest thing we have to an instant f2, thus the Taunt and attack happen AT THE SAME TIME. Predict and dodge f2, dodge the Taunt, cuz they are simultaneous.

The F2 activates at the start of the cast, that is why it is used with birds, you get taunted, and the bird can guarantee the hit. In addition the taunt will pull you out of your evade if you are in range of it; don’t believe me, do some tests with a friend who has a ranger in a custom arena. Currently the ONLY way to avoid taunt is to be out of range of the pet when it uses the f2 skill, which is hard to do, since it activates at the start of the f2 cast

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Oh and forgot untelegraphed

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I vote to remove it from pvp. Or change how it works so that it just redirects damage temporarily.

It would also be nice if killing the ranger pet had a significant impact on the ranger. Nope just swap pets. No biggie. Should daze or stun the ranger when it dies.

Kill the pet twice. A dead pet goes on a 60 second cooldown, so if one goes down and then the other the ranger is without a pet for a full minute. Which is a significant impact as the pet is a large chunk of the ranger’s damage and control ability.

Without the pet you’re basically half a profession. No other profession in the game can have their class mechanic completely shut down for such a long time.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

uhohhotdog.3598

I don’t even think there should be a pet swap in pvp. If your pet dies you wait.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

So you just don’t want rangers in PVP? Seems like a reasonable request.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

thats the same as when somebody gets Feared and saying same thing. So dont see a need to nerf it.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

The problem with taunt is the Ranger therefore thread title must be change immediately.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

uhohhotdog.3598

Make it like gw1 where you had to have comfort animal equipped to have a pet active.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: coax.2951

coax.2951

Make it like gw1 where you had to have comfort animal equipped to have a pet active.

The pet class mechanic is already flawed enough, why do you want to make it even kittentier?
There is a reason nobody in their right mind brings rangers to tournaments, they are just getting outclassed in every role and you want to nerf them even more?

Sukkla
Probably still playing ranger.

(edited by coax.2951)

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

A good chunk of the time you’re taunted by a pet, the ranger has just swapped to the pet, meaning you’re probably in-range of the Ranger, so you could get some cleave damage off on him.

There’s also the downside that Taunts cause Retaliation and Confusion to still take affect, but yeah.

Torment still takes effect when you’re feared, right? Why is this any different?

I don’t even think there should be a pet swap in pvp. If your pet dies you wait.

It is currently the only profession mechanic that can be completely shut down at all, and you want to make it easier to shut down? More importantly, you’re severely nerfing a class which has no high level sPvP viability at all (arguably, the only such class in the game)? You balance things about as effectively as a drunken gorilla.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Why are rangers being so defensive in this thread…?

They’re not the only ones that will get taunts…

Main point I got out of this thread so far is that it’s just unavoidable (be it via blind, dodge, stunbreaker, or w/e else we’re used to breaking CCs). In a PvE environment it’s okay, though in PvP enviroment, be it sPvP or WvW, it is something that needs to be talked about… And w/o getting classes involved too much, as that will just become a cry fest and derail the thread.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Unholy Pillager.3791

Why are rangers being so defensive in this thread…?

They’re not the only ones that will get taunts…

Main point I got out of this thread so far is that it’s just unavoidable (be it via blind, dodge, stunbreaker, or w/e else we’re used to breaking CCs). In a PvE environment it’s okay, though in PvP enviroment, be it sPvP or WvW, it is something that needs to be talked about… And w/o getting classes involved too much, as that will just become a cry fest and derail the thread.

Rangers are already the weakest class in the game in sPvP, and there are people like uhohhotdog calling for them to be gutted further. Why are you surprised when this provokes outrage?

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

Lol, that’s actually pretty funny.

Stormbluff Isle

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Unholy Pillager.3791

Then put in preparations as the actual class mechanic, like they should have done from the start.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

Then put in preparations as the actual class mechanic, like they should have done from the start.

I’m amazed at how fast you replied to that. Was literally within 10 seconds of me posting.

I would be all for the removal of the pet. AI can never balanced in PvP simply because they don’t have the players intelligence. They will always be either too strong for the skill required or too weak.

Stormbluff Isle

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Unholy Pillager.3791

I’m amazed at how fast you replied to that. Was literally within 10 seconds of me posting.

I would be all for the removal of the pet. AI can never balanced in PvP simply because they don’t have the players intelligence. They will always be either too strong for the skill required or too weak.

That was my thinking exactly…back when they first announced pets as ranger class mechanic. That opinion has only gotten stronger in the intervening years.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Yeh might as well nerf the one thing that rangers can bring to a team.

Or better yet just delete the class.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

it’s unblockable, undodgeable,blind doesn’t work and it’s instant without any animation.
To summarize: it’s bullkitten and just kittened. Not OP but kittened.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Taunt is no better than a stun…

Except that it is much better than stun.

I’m not even talking about how taunt goes through all defensive measures.

Here’s a list of things taunt potentially does that stun doesn’t
- generates additional damage for Torment and Confusion
- Triggers Retaliation and “on block” effects.
- Waste charges for things like Venoms and Assassins Signet
- Dynamically re-position your foe into traps/AoE’s/Environmental effects, off of points, and generally out of position

The only real potential downside to Taunt as compared to a stun is that your target isn’t standing still (which would make churning earth kind of hard to hit, I guess), and simply eating AA might be somewhat beneficial to your target (leeching venoms, sigil of blood, etc), but that’s a skill thing – you could just as easily make them waste those venoms by blocking/evading the attacks.

So yeah, Taunt is potentially much more dangerous that stun without considering the fact that it goes through all of these defenses.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Taunt is another example of over tuned niche powers on ranger. The also have superior range, fire and forget missles, frequent access to stealth and the ability to attack while not even in line of sight. Sad. Especially sad in light of the arguments against Mesmer ie too frequent stealth and ability to attack while out of sight.

Mesmerising Girl

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Vaelkyr.4786

Vaelkyr.4786

Uh, you do know other classes will have access to taunt once HoT goes live? Not just ranger? So like, you might as well learn to either avoid it or just deal with it, because it’s not going away anytime soon.

Also, god forbid rangers have something going for them, when they’re the weakest class in high end pvp. If you play your class well, my taunt shouldn’t matter.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

Yes but it’s much harder to land than most of the stuns in this game since it relies on an npc with terrible pathing to land it.

It is much easier to land than most stuns in the game since neither dodge nor blind works*

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

It is much easier to land than most stuns in the game since neither dodge nor blind works*

There are a ton of stuns, immobilize, etc. that can be activated from stealth giving you no warning what so ever. All you have to do to avoid beastly warden is be moving…. that’s it… you can literally avoid all damage from ranger pets by moving your character. This is especially easy to do in PvP where almost every point has small ledges or obstacles that a player can jump over but the pets will spend 20 minutes trying to get around.

Players have spent the past 3 years ignoring ranger pets because they were nerfed in PVP and there crappy ai, terrible pathing, and lack of cleave make it so they rarely hit anything. Well now you are forced to pay attention to them. Once you start doing that taunt becomes much less of a problem.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: ragnarokda.1805

ragnarokda.1805

I don’t even use taunt. Remove it. It will literally make no difference. It’s 2s long at best. I fail to see how taunt would change the out come of a battle that you didn’t already have a disadvantage in.

Please, someone, for the love of all that is great and good, describe a situation where taunt was the reason you got destroyed that stun couldn’t have functionally filled that same purpose. I just… Need to hear a story.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Unholy Pillager.3791

Taunt is another example of over tuned niche powers on ranger. The also have superior range, fire and forget missles, frequent access to stealth and the ability to attack while not even in line of sight. Sad. Especially sad in light of the arguments against Mesmer ie too frequent stealth and ability to attack while out of sight.

Mesmer has long duration stealth which you can’t prevent via blocking, dodging, blindness or projectile destruction/reflection. And believe me, many ranger players would be ecstatic if they didn’t have to use pets. I would probably actually main ranger still if they had made the profession’s mechanic be preparations rather than pets. As much as you hate the ranger’s “fire and forget missiles” which can attack without line of sight…many ranger players hate them even more.

(edited by Unholy Pillager.3791)

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

15 second cooldown. That might be the biggest problem with Taunt; that you can use it so often, and it shuts down another player for a full 2 seconds, and is completely unavoidable. The cooldown should always have been twice as long; you shouldn’t be able to use this 2-3 times in the same fight.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Killing the ranger pet has significant impact. The cooldown to swap pets becomes 50 seconds.

You can easily kill a bird pet and give them the penalty.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

For me, once I realized what the pet taunt was (when playing against) it mostly became a non issue, another stun I would have to break if I got hit by it, easier to do when you know what it is.

Only issue I have for it, it forces a target change. Just means I have to switch target back to ranger, similar to if it stealthed, so again, not too big a deal once you know.
Still, it’s pretty annoying, and adds another benefit as to why it’s a little better than other cc’s.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Strange – I never noticed that my target changes on taunt. Probably because I have the “Promote Target” option ticked in my UI? Because I’m pretty sure my target remains exactly the same. It only changes when the ranger stealths…

Incidentally as a necro, I’ve come to realize that being taunted means I’m about to be loaded up with conditions…which I allow happily. Then boom – plague signet baby!

Almost insta win at that point.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

taunt is basically a reverse fear, i see no problem with it

it’ll be balanced more as the game goes on, but the core mechanic of it is fine(and good for runners, you chickenkittens)

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Fear doesn’t go through blocks and dodges.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

The problem with Taunt

in PvP

Posted by: Wildfang.3271

Wildfang.3271

Fear doesn’t go through blocks and dodges.

I beg to differ about part of your claim about fear doesn’t go through blocks.Some of them do go through blocks. For example, Fear Me! on warrior is unblockable. Necro can get the Soul Marks trait in Soul Reaping for unblockable marks. And the Spectral Wall utility is unblockable as well.

I do agree that taunt shouldn’t go through dodges personally but I’m withholding judgement about it going through blocks since quite a lot of professions will be getting blocking skills in HoT.