The solution to matchmaking is: remove it

in PvP

Posted by: Marciolegal.3461

Marciolegal.3461

How does it sound? Better players will increase the chance his her team will win and raise in rank faster. So the balance mechanics could focus on class ballance if needed, and not player characteristics. I guess this would give a better sense of advance for evolving players.

The way it is, it feels like it doesnt really matter if youre good or not. The system will always find a way to compensate and get you a ´´ballanced match´´. Also, it appears a bit broken as instead of alternating between a few wins and losses as expected, you alternate between long sequences of wins and losses, making players loose sense of contribution.

Without MM, as players raise in rank, my expectation is that they would have progressively more exciting matches, in average.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

No.

If you’re a new player, it’s not really fun to get curb-stomped time and again by platinum+ players. Matchmaking keeps people of roughly equal skill together, which makes for better games overall.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Before the league, leaderboards, and solo/team queues, there was just the 5-man team queue.

We call it the yolo queue, because that’s what it is. You will likely have full 5-mans on voice chat versus 2/3/4 or most likely a sprinkle of solo players with 2-3 in a team. We used to check for teams by right clicking names and checking if the invite option is missing. Most often, you will get annihilated (back when there are a lot more tryhards).

I mean, there’s no reason to feel confident unless you’re with someone in your friends list, versus Vampire Katana/Undercoverism’s (this is NA 2012-13) full roster.

The team with the guy boring enough to queue as bunker usually wins. If you get a good run solo, everyone will start to invite each other because if you don’t, you will likely be stomped just for having people playing on different levels (also build “diversity”). When you do form a team of 3-4, you start winning. Then when someone brings in a “friend” who insists on a certain class/build, you start losing again (hint: gtfo).

It’s not balanced at all. 10% of the games will be close games.

Matchmaking has given me, as a solo queuer, more fair opponents overall and I enjoy some close games where I discover and learn about my mistakes, e.g. that rotation cost us/should have predicted that coming/positioning.

I think someone on the forums has said something about difficulty threshold – up to a certain point of challenge, it is obtainable with effort and rewarding. Past that point though, you get nothing out of failure. Matchmaking is trying to limit that threshold.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in PvP

Posted by: Marciolegal.3461

Marciolegal.3461

No.

If you’re a new player, it’s not really fun to get curb-stomped time and again by platinum+ players. Matchmaking keeps people of roughly equal skill together, which makes for better games overall.

Sorry, I am proposing this for the ranked pvp.
Without MM, the chance of having good players in your team would be the same as on the opposing team. But as there are more average players than good ones, the later will win more and go up in rank faster, leaving other players behind, rescaling the division skill level. After a number of matches, the players will find their divisions “probabilistically” and based on their skill level.

Maybe a problem is that this process has probably high variance so will take a higher number of matches for players to advance. Specially at lower divisions it will be really crazy with the mix, but this can be aid by controlling the points gained/lost using party mmr. So, if your team gets to win/loose (to) a stronger team they would be rewarded/taken more/less points.

I disagree that matchmaking is helping much. Maybe it helps the new players as you’re saying and also is why you can find bad players at high divisions. The division you are should depend on your skill level, so players should not be consistently carried, neither consistently paired with bad ones just to make matches balanced. If I’m better than most, I should have more than 50% wins.

I’m sure the MM system very sophisticated, but the way it is now is scaring away good players. Although you can always join the tournaments, I bet most players would enjoy playing casually and still see their effort payed off.

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

This is a interesting proposal OP. However I think ANet would rather everyone quit Ranked PvP mode. Then to admit the mistake in their home made MM system.

At this point maybe having a system as you describe. Would be better for the lack of population for any match maker to work with. There is some merit to your vision.

However I think ANet is too set in their own ways. To be of any help to the competitive PvPers. At this point depending on which side of the stick you stank one. You should expect either. More and more easier wins as time carries on. Or more and more pointless loses, as time goes on.

I’d honestly come back to Ranked PvP. If ANet at least make the ratings system. Judge team vs team. Rather then now solo/duo vs 5.

At current time I see little reason. To pull some of my PvP time investment from fun, competitive, and working PvP system. Only to throw it away in GW2’s highly stacked, non competitive, and cheater infested system.

Roaming in WvW atm is more then enoth. For me to get my MMO PvP fix.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: Abraxxus.8971

Abraxxus.8971

Its obvious the MMR needs to be reworked. I believe that at the beginning of the season, there are no placement matches. Everyone starts out at rank 0. rank goes from 0 – 1000 or something like that.
For winning a match you get 1 point
For winning a second match in a row, you get 2 points
For winning a 3rd match and every match after you get 3 points until you lose then it resets back to one.

For losing your first match, you lose 3 points
For losing your second match, you lose 2,
and for the 3rd and ever match after, you lose 1 until you win.

For each top stat you get, you get 1 point.

When people start queuing up for a match, the game will look at their rank number, and start pulling people from queue that are from anywhere from -3 to +3 of each other. (In the event that it can’t find anyone, it the range will get bigger until both teams are filled).

This is my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Its obvious the MMR needs to be reworked. I believe that at the beginning of the season, there are no placement matches. Everyone starts out at rank 0. rank goes from 0 – 1000 or something like that.
For winning a match you get 1 point
For winning a second match in a row, you get 2 points
For winning a 3rd match and every match after you get 3 points until you lose then it resets back to one.

For losing your first match, you lose 3 points
For losing your second match, you lose 2,
and for the 3rd and ever match after, you lose 1 until you win.

For each top stat you get, you get 1 point.

When people start queuing up for a match, the game will look at their rank number, and start pulling people from queue that are from anywhere from -3 to +3 of each other. (In the event that it can’t find anyone, it the range will get bigger until both teams are filled).

This is my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

What you are proposing is a grind based system. I can PvE or WvW if I want a grind based system.

in PvP

Posted by: Abraxxus.8971

Abraxxus.8971

Isn’t the current MMR system and grind based system? You lose you get -18, but a win only gets you +7? How is that any different? Now you are grinding out 2-3 wins just to get back the rating you lost. Really what I’m suggesting is a simplified version that doesn’t have tiers, just a rank number.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Velar.1509

Lord Velar.1509

I see where youre coming from, and as I may consider myself pretty good…not godly, but pretty good now

I would completely hate fighting against a bunch of platinum players. Not to mention that changing the system could result in possible “mishaps”

I would rather not see a team of complete platinum players on one team while my team has all the “new players”

We’d get curb stomped beyond belief lol

I get where your going, but that can cause some unreasonable match ups

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Isn’t the current MMR system and grind based system? You lose you get -18, but a win only gets you +7? How is that any different? Now you are grinding out 2-3 wins just to get back the rating you lost. Really what I’m suggesting is a simplified version that doesn’t have tiers, just a rank number.

The only way you see that is if you are a top tier player ~ top 250 or you are smurfing with someone that has a low rank. Shouldn’t the top 250 players have a win % over 50%?