Thief or Mesmer? For sPVP and WvW

in PvP

Posted by: Gudthing.6720

Gudthing.6720

Decided to make a comeback to the game after 2months of being offline. Only pvp’d previously with a warrior and since it’s been a while I’ve decided to start from scratch. Both the ranger and mesmer have caught my eye but which to level?
What’s the more viable profession at the moment?
What will give me the most options of viable specs and weapons to use?
Most importantly which is the most enjoyable to play? Like which class feels better?

Add info: I really enjoyed playing a DK and Hunter arena on WOW (2k rating). I know I’m not the best player but I enjoy a challenge!

Help would be most appreciated and sorry if there’s a thread like this already! Thanks

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

i played only mesmer in all BWEs but in release i switched to thief because i felt mesmer was less interesting to play in wvwvw.

in PvP

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

I can only talk for wvwvw as its my area, I run a mesmer wvwvw guide and regulary play in a mid sice team roaming. Also play alot solo and dual team with meser and completly love it.

I link 2 short hut entertaning vids from my guide who I think you will like. Enjoy.

A vid made after the mesmer nerf, show our dmg and some basic playstyles.

latest guide vid 1 vs x, about play outnumbered.

guide/thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/guide-WvWvW-Shatter-cat/first

/Osicat

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

You enjoy challange, yet you played DK ? : ) But that is another topic, I would suggest going mesmer, in my opinion they are more useful for tpvp team (portal/time warp) in comparison to a thief. And also has a great burst capabilities.

“Most importantly which is the most enjoyable to play?” It really depends – for me, I can’t play mesmer with his pink summons, most useful utilities ingame for team, many ways to evade dmg they feel a bit “cheap” to me. I really enjoyed playing my necromancer, but from these two options I would choose a thief, since he is more of high risk/reward and in hotjoins there is almost no risk, just burst nabs with no stunbreakers or blocks.