Thief troubles

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

This isnt so much a qq thread as a what am i doing wrong thread

I really enjoy thief in pvp even though its really squishy, and ive alternated between d/p and s/d for the past couple weeks. I like both but prefer s/d just because its a bit more useful in solo queues. However, even though sometimes i can dominate, there are two classes i just cant kill alone. One is ele and the other is ranger, and im mainly concerned with the s/d build. The eles i usually go up against are just the normal cele d/d and most of them i can kill, but the ones who know their rotations i just cant kill. I get them to 50% or 25% health but i eventually die. Rangers i have the worst time against because even when i use crazy teleports to get around them and keep stealthing and flanking i just cant avoid getting hit, and i usually down. On d/p i have an easier time just because of the ability to stealth whenever i want to, on s/d i just cant seem to take them down.

I know there are some builds like turret engie that you shouldnt take on alone, but these two classes dont really seem like that and it feels like an l2p issue

Anyways does anyone have any tips on how to fight these two classes? or some resoures that can get me better at thief?

Thanks

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Hmm you probably are doing something wrong. How do you approach the ele and the ranger as an S/D. In 1on1 I win with relative ease. On the ele you just have to make sure you keep that kittener immobilized and chilled and make sure you steal his might stacks.

Ranger is easy IF you get close, and that’s a big if because good rangers have a way of dodging you well. Once you get close its candy time. Stun the rapid fire with your steal and/or cloaked attack (which dazes) or use that to prevent heal. If you want to be a complete kitten to the ranger, when they pop the invincibility signet, go into refuge and wait it out in safe xD

But yeah, those are super general tips. Can you give us some insight on your build, like traits, sigils, runes etc

P.S: Also, as a general rule, in sPvP, if a fight is going to take me more than 40 seconds to complete i’ll think twice if I am to keep fighting. Especially if im fighting off cap point, its better to disengage and support your team elsewhere.

Ultimately, you want to burst down low hp targets.

Also you CAN cloak whenever you want as S/D, its even cheaper. Use Cloak & Dagger and disengage, or whatever you are doing in stealth.

And above all, using your shadow step abilities cleanses you. 1 condi at a time.

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

Thief troubles

in PvP

Nyx.7342

Im running the meta s/d with strength runes (maybe pack is better?) sigils of fire and air with berserker amulet. The trait set up is 20066 and i take withdraw, infiltrator’s signet, shadowstep, and basilisk venom.

For eles its not really all of them, but only a couple that i come up against. Im not sure if they are tankier or if they are regular cele but it seems like my attacks do very little to their health compared to the damage they do over time. What i normally do is set up basilisk venom do a quick cnd teleport in, do some autoattacks and do my best to dodge attacks using shadowstep and infil strike to get out of ccs and avoid attacks. I do probably use my steal at the wrong time which is a good thing for me to note!

With rangers i normally try to burst then move around to waste thier knockbacks ccs and rapid fire. But sometimes, prob my mistake, i lose the upper hand. Yesterday i had one at 50% health, after dodging rapid fire (did not realize i should interrupt xD) i teleported, was hit with the knockback and was spiked down with gs and cc. It may be that i use infil strike and shadowstep too much, since i feel very squishy i like to move in and out of melee range. With rangers that may be whats messing me up because i cant dodge fast enough when i teleport and their skills are somewhat channeled so the shadowstep doesnt avoid the hit anyways.

Why i mentioned i feel like s/d has less stealth is that often times i use cnd in melee range and it just wont hit. Another one of those things im doing wrong but i find cnd really hard to use compared to stealthing with black powder.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Thief doesn’t beat any class 1v1 except mesmers(and they still have an advantage) and other thieves.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

Thief doesn’t beat any class 1v1 except mesmers(and they still have an advantage) and other thieves.

You are so wrong,

thieves don’t 1v1 in team matches, it’s not because they can’t win
it’s because there is no point.
Ele will cap the point and keep it while the fight last forever.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I don’t play a thief I play mesmer but both class more or less fill the same role. You are not meant to kill players 1 v 1 you are there to finish 2 v 2 and 3 v 3. A good bunker will either kill you after 1000 yrs or die to you after 1000 yrs while holding the pt for their team. You are wasting time 1 v 1 cele bunkers when you should be adding on team fights or cap empty pts. Just my 2c.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

You are so wrong,

Yep, still some thieves think they’re god tier and push far for 1vs1 vs celes.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

Mesmers still have advantage over thieves? Are you insane?

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: ima kong fu ninja.3052

ima kong fu ninja.3052

You are so wrong,

I’m confused what you mean? I win 1vs3’s on my Thief who runs D/D and SB . . . . Thieves are really amazing. You just need to learn how to use your dodges, when to push and when to stay stealthed. etc.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Mogar.9216

You are so wrong,

I’m confused what you mean? I win 1vs3’s on my Thief who runs D/D and SB . . . . Thieves are really amazing. You just need to learn how to use your dodges, when to push and when to stay stealthed. etc.

lol you should get 4 thief friends and own the next WTS then …

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

Here’s the thread where I asked for S/D advice:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/S-D-sPvP-Role/first#post4738957

Short version:
- Help your team win fights fast by seeking to +1 fights constantly thanks to your mobility...
- ...or by helping focus down a target, preferably the high DPS squishies.
- Also, you’re mobile, so roamer. You support mid/home as needed, but you can...
- ... Decap FREE=unguarded (far) points, don’t mess with a bunker, takes too long.

There’s a lot of other S/D posts in the forum, so just try to soak up what’s there.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

In 1v1? Absolutely, it’s like 60/40 in mesmers favor.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Mogar.9216

In 1v1? Absolutely, it’s like 60/40 in mesmers favor.

vs a pu condi mesmer maybe but thieves hard counter the meta shatter mesmer

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

You are so wrong,

lol. If you are winning 1v3, you are playing some really terrible hot join opponents.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: MindWipe.3028

MindWipe.3028

I just use a d/p build and when ever those rangers get away I hit 3 and im right back on them.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Spot the EotM player…

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Ok some real advice now:

Elementalist: you’re right, don’t duel them. You probably won’t win, and it will certainly take too much time before you do.

Ranger: You’re probably doing something wrong. Condi rangers can be tricky, but in general power rangers are easy opponents for a SD thief. Here are some tips:
- Sword #2 does not require LoS. Hide behind pillars, rocks, on a ledge, etc.
- Once he switches to GS or sword, use the stolen ability and spam SB #2 in it. It’s a healing combo, and if the ranger tries to melee you he’ll get hit.
- Your healing skill breaks immobilization.
- If you failed to dodge entangle, spam SB #3 in it if you don’t have a better mean to mitigate damage. If your Infiltrator’s return is up, use that instead.
- Keep extreme pressure at all time. Don’t be overly careful with your health pool.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Nyx.7342

Ok some real advice now:

Elementalist: you’re right, don’t duel them. You probably won’t win, and it will certainly take too much time before you do.

Ranger: You’re probably doing something wrong. Condi rangers can be tricky, but in general power rangers are easy opponents for a SD thief. Here are some tips:
- Sword #2 does not require LoS. Hide behind pillars, rocks, on a ledge, etc.
- Once he switches to GS or sword, use the stolen ability and spam SB #2 in it. It’s a healing combo, and if the ranger tries to melee you he’ll get hit.
- Your healing skill breaks immobilization.
- If you failed to dodge entangle, spam SB #3 in it if you don’t have a better mean to mitigate damage. If your Infiltrator’s return is up, use that instead.
- Keep extreme pressure at all time. Don’t be overly careful with your health pool.

:o Ill keep these in mind, Thank you!

i usually try not to 1v1 except if its home (since id think someone would come and help there). But sometimes i guess i go stupid because i normally play engie so im used to 1v1s and often times my team is full of idiots who cant rotate so after back capping i usually 1v1 on the other node. Guess ill have to actually talk to those pugs to ask em for help xD

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

S/D thief is more of a strong bruiser than an assassin build.
Keep the pressure at all time and the enemy will fall.

Rangers aren’t hard and Sorel has already written down everything you should.
The trick is to dodge the Ranger [Point Blank Shot] + [Rapid Fire] since thats where 90% of a Power Ranger DPS is. And dodge the [Maul] when the switch to GS.

For elementarists you can kill then with an Assassin/Executioner build assuming that you can kill then quick enough meanwhile they are rotating the Water Attunement.
S/D Build tough, don’t have the DPS for that so you should try not taking the risk unless it’s necessary.

Though I confess I prefer to fight an Elementarist instead of an engie.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

hey. a common misunderstanding about the thief is that youre supposed to 1v1 people. this is false. you can watch any of the professional matches, or even witness it in higher ranked games. thieves have 3 roles:

1. to +1 fights
2. to roam and decap (but usually not hold)
3. burst down other glass

both s/d and d/p +1 fights, meaning that you stay on the outside either invis or contributing some dps with shortbow from range. you jump in to lock down someone who is low (<40% health). you will never be too successful 1v1’ing most other specs as d/p or s/d, but you can significantly soften them up or even outright kill the bads.

there are several cheese condi builds more suitable for 1v1’s but you simply wont be able to contribute anything to your team by doing this. conquest is about roaming, and farpoint 1v1’s require high sustain + condi pressure celestial specs.

hope that helps.

Thief troubles

in PvP

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

hey. a common misunderstanding about the thief is that you’re supposed to 1v1 people

I started winning a lot more once I quit trying to 1v1 people on far point and started nailing people who were occupied fighting my team at home/mid.

You just need to get a feel for when everything is under control so you can go see if far is open for the decap/maybe cap.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast