Thieves make all other zerkers pointless

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

I came to a sad realization today that thief is basically the only reason nobody plays a zerker build in PvP anymore. Thieves absolutely DESTROY anyone running a glass build 1v1 while maintaining great survivability. They can have too many things in one build….damage, stealth, evasion and mobility. Stealth is the biggest one really, that’s the main reason why WoW Rogues have enjoyed always being at the top (or near the top) of PvP for 8 years.

Blind field + stealth stomp + shadow refuge makes them the undisputed kings of finishing people off. It’s all too much.

Can something about them please be toned down? Just maybe one aspect.

(edited by Wintel.4873)

in PvP

Posted by: pdemo.8312

pdemo.8312

L2p noon if anything it needs a buff. Mesmer is very popular and they use zerker. I’m not complaining and the game is pretty balanced right now

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

L2p noon if anything it needs a buff. Mesmer is very popular and they use zerker.

Only due to the same reasons that Thieves use zerker (stealth) with the addition of AI.

in PvP

Posted by: DoYourBestBear.6810

DoYourBestBear.6810

Glass Guardian would like a word with you.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

To be honest I think GC guardian is an exception, everything else, yes.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

L2p noon if anything it needs a buff. Mesmer is very popular and they use zerker.

Only due to the same reasons that Thieves use zerker (stealth) with the addition of AI.

Amen to that

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

True. While I can kill thieves pretty nicely as a phantasm mesmer, I go into stealth myself. And that too because my phantasms can track thieves through stealth and screw them as soon as they become visible.

in PvP

Posted by: Legacy.7360

Legacy.7360

That is incorrect. Guardians are my only counter when its Zerker to Zerker(provided they are at my skill level) Condi Mes are a 2nd nightmare.

But I do enjoy my Zerker Thief.

Not easy being me, I tell you that.

Guardian <3
Dragon
Platinnum – Zerker Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

axe war is my fave zerker, i would say that it eats thieves for breakfast,
but thieves are just the appetizer!

oh you went in to stealth? excuse me while i do a 12k cyclone with 2×3k dodge rolls

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

oh you went in to stealth? excuse me while i do a 12k cyclone with 2×3k dodge rolls

1v1 on the same skill level teef will win.

GC guard on the other hand burns though thieves. But sadly 95% of them get facerolled by terror necros pressing any button. Which an axe warrior conversely can faceroll.

That’s partly why I’m having fun playing both atm…

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: aleks.5473

aleks.5473

I kill zerker thiefs with zerken engy, guardian, Mesmer, warrior, thief
I don’t play necro anymore but zerker necro can kill a zerker thief
The problem is not in classes. It’s in specs and player’s skills

Shadowsong Bg, Zagorka bg – r61
Champ mesmer, engy, rangar, necro, guardian, warrior

in PvP

Posted by: apt.9184

apt.9184

Thieves initiative regen is just kittened right now if that was toned down most of the thieves you see right now would not be able to play the class at near the same level they used to be able to.

Lil Apt
L2P deeez nutz

in PvP

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

L2p , my full GC ele destroys thiefs

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP:

You are actually incorrect. GC eles or mesmers can burst done someone else just as quickly as a thief. The main different is that those classes have other specs they can use. You just see a lot of GC thieves because there aren’t any other viable specs at upper levels of play.

in PvP

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

@OP:

You are actually incorrect. GC eles or mesmers can burst done someone else just as quickly as a thief. The main different is that those classes have other specs they can use. You just see a lot of GC thieves because there aren’t any other viable specs at upper levels of play.

You mean to tell me that d/d condition thief is not viable in the current meta? :o

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

in PvP

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

My HGH zerker engineer kitten s thiefs when i get a fair 1v1, unfortunately this isn’t dueling and fair fights don’t matter only winning matters so they wait for the right chance then they strike, i hate it but its all part of the game so best to get used to it so you can learn to counter them on demand.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

This is true in a 1 v 1, but you know as well as I do that DPS guardian cannot serve the same function/purpose on a team that a thief can. The guardian cannot engage the back line dps, burst, and disengage.

in PvP

Posted by: James Megawatt.9021

James Megawatt.9021

I don’t know if you play hotjoin or soloq but please if it is hotjoin, that place is far from the truth, it is full of noobs and yes a thief reks everyone there. But in solo/teamQ they are somewhat underpowered right now.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

I don’t know if you play hotjoin or soloq but please if it is hotjoin, that place is far from the truth, it is full of noobs and yes a thief reks everyone there. But in solo/teamQ they are somewhat underpowered right now.

Read the title again. Thieves do in fact make other zerker professions pointless. This applies to ranked matches both solo/team queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Paolo.1467

Paolo.1467

Zerker thievs are the reason why i play zerk Shatter mesmer ^_-

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

i wouldnt say that they destroy any zerker …. i would say that they are superior since they can get out most of the time, and in conquest is p gay since u have to decap and stuff.
oh and probably other zerkers do better than a thief, but the other zerkers gotta commit and maybe they die.

in PvP

Posted by: OhMyTaeyeon.5831

OhMyTaeyeon.5831

Let me guess…you like playing in downstate?

Naña (Mesmer)

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

L2p noon if anything it needs a buff. Mesmer is very popular and they use zerker. I’m not complaining and the game is pretty balanced right now

Gosh… You clearly haven’t played this game a lot, nor have you been following any twitch pvp streams. This issue is common knowledge to any player who has been observing this game for longer. For some reason many rookies tend to believe it’s about “l2p”.

But in solo/teamQ they are somewhat underpowered right now.

rofl

In 1v1 yes, but glass guardian is too clumsy otherwise as a roamer.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

^^ the quality of players posting here is amazing.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

Well, even if it’s a reasonably even 1v1 matchup vs. thief, thief has a huge tactical advantages in matches: the mobility and engage/disengage potential. Thief could be a terrible 1v1er, but still be strong just for the fact that they can jump on a weak target for a quick kill. Anyone else that tries to run zerker in a match is in danger of that.

in PvP

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

offhand isnt even close to viable

in PvP

Posted by: st desnuss.5738

st desnuss.5738

“Stealth is the biggest one really, that’s the main reason why WoW Rogues have enjoyed always being at the top (or near the top) of PvP for 8 years.”

I don’t know if u are from NA but in EU thieves running S/P.

Ybobb [SmK]
Guard ~ EU

in PvP

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP:

You mean to tell me that d/d condition thief is not viable in the current meta? :o

haha.

in PvP

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

The only thing I want to know is why anet thinks 8k backstabs vs 2700 armor targets is balanced.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

in PvP

Posted by: Gmtsai.6349

Gmtsai.6349

thief is not that hard to play, especially the S/P spec.
I think it’s probably easier than hambow warrior lmao

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Top quality Shatter Mesmers DO spend a significant amount of time in the downstate vs. teams that properly execute D/P, S/P, ganks, or persistent, difficult to peel, S/D aggression.

It’s actually a pretty much a common theme amongst leading Mesmer mains to get so frustrated with Mesmer, roll Thief, and make attempts (some attempts more/less feeble than others) to compete with it.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Thief is most-definately an apex predator in this game. Of all the dps specs, it is up there with the same amount of dps, but has way more mobility and way more survivability. Why build for any kind of traited survivability, when your build-in class mechanic is just to avoid all damage? Thief power went up a TON from the init buff, as now they can burst very frequently and reliably, and are given the tools to stick to any target with all the shadow steps. I don’t really see the point of playing any other dps spec when you can just play thief and have every tool that dps/burst wants with NO tradeoff.

As an aside, part of the issue is targeting challenges. Most thieves will stealth for no other reason than to drop target, knowing that retargeting them through chaos gives them an even larger edge in the fight to kill you, on top of the other benefits of stealth (choosing timing, forcing a waste of defensive cooldowns, only being vulnerable to target attacks while revealed, forcing an enemy out of position as you could be using your insane mobility to go decap).

in PvP

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

This is true in a 1 v 1, but you know as well as I do that DPS guardian cannot serve the same function/purpose on a team that a thief can. The guardian cannot engage the back line dps, burst, and disengage.

That’s true; dps Guardians are extremely strong in 1 vs 1 (non Necro) fights and in n vs n skirmishes at the center node of the maps, but outside combat they lack mobility to be an effective invader or jump between control points to assist their team in proper time.

But that’s fine, Thieves are the best at kill assist and marauding between points, which can provide enough pressure to change the tide of a match; they are lacking as point holders, so they shine in some other aspects of the game so they are viable and useful. Tha’s good, every class mut have at least one or two areas in which they can remain competitive, avoiding being so dominant in every department that render some others obsolete.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

as people keep saying, because they don’t play it,
how is 10-12k damage combined with 6k damage and evading all incoming damage not viable to you? (you can dodge while channelling it).

i’ve been using axe/axe in tournaments and melt bunkers with ease,
so when the sheep keep calling it “not viable”.
ask those bunkers if it is viable, or the glass cannons i hit with 11k executes

but lets not derail this thread, this is about tasty zerker thieves

in PvP

Posted by: apt.9184

apt.9184

as people keep saying, because they don’t play it,
how is 10-12k damage combined with 6k damage and evading all incoming damage not viable to you? (you can dodge while channelling it).

i’ve been using axe/axe in tournaments and melt bunkers with ease,
so when the sheep keep calling it “not viable”.
ask those bunkers if it is viable, or the glass cannons i hit with 11k executes

but lets not derail this thread, this is about tasty zerker thieves

wait till you meet a necro and you will love playing zerk warrior

Lil Apt
L2P deeez nutz

in PvP

Posted by: OhMyTaeyeon.5831

OhMyTaeyeon.5831

Top quality Shatter Mesmers DO spend a significant amount of time in the downstate vs. teams that properly execute D/P, S/P, ganks, or persistent, difficult to peel, S/D aggression.

It’s actually a pretty much a common theme amongst leading Mesmer mains to get so frustrated with Mesmer, roll Thief, and make attempts (some attempts more/less feeble than others) to compete with it.

Thank you Chaith! Exactly what I wanted to say. Good Guy Chaith indeed

Naña (Mesmer)

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Your answer is the same as the two aboves, just more precise . . . (hope you realized that)

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

stealth should not make people completely invisible, stealth should be transparent like a spirit or a phantasm,

it’s just too much of a disparity between class mechanics,

or revealed should be a nice 20s+ or so

in PvP

Chaith.8256

Your answer is the same as the two aboves, just more precise . . . (hope you realized that)

I’m ok with that! After talking with really good Mesmers and participating/watching a lot of tournaments I feel like what the two posters above me and I are saying is pretty close to reality, currently.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I’m ok with that! After talking with really good Mesmers and participating/watching a lot of tournaments I feel like what the two posters above me and I are saying is pretty close to reality, currently.

I’m aware of the fact that Mesmers have a hard time to deal with the meta (our core Mesmer rerolled to Thief too). Totally agree with you here.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: KarsaiB.9475

KarsaiB.9475

Thief makes ele unviable by its sole presence.

55 HP Monks // Random scrubadub

in PvP

Chaith.8256

I’m aware of the fact that Mesmers have a hard time to deal with the meta (our core Mesmer rerolled to Thief too). Totally agree with you here.

Oh, lol. It appeared you were sarcastically saying that every Mesmer that has a hard time getting initiated’ on in teamfights by Thieves are low quality players.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Oh, lol. It appeared you were sarcastically saying that every Mesmer that has a hard time getting initiated’ on in teamfights by Thieves are low quality players.

I was pointing out with my sarcasm at the guy saying he everytime rerolls zerk-shatter when he faces a thief :P. Mabye he just trolled, dunno

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Now, if only the balance team realized that…

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

My rabid condi mesmer with runes of the undead has no problem dealing with thieves. My zerker phantasm build can kill them too (depending on whether they get the drop on me though).

in PvP

Posted by: gpassucc.5961

gpassucc.5961

I love zerker thieves on my zerker guardian… don’t take them away from me… =(

In all honesty fighting a zerker thief as a zerker guard is really, really fun and requires extreme timing on both sides. I would rather fight a zerker thief than a bunker decap engi (/wrists).

[EG] – SoR – Persies Sunreaver (war),
Persiës Sunreaver (ele), Persiës (ranger),
Gromphe Baenre (necro), Përsies (guard)

in PvP

Posted by: KarsaiB.9475

KarsaiB.9475

My rabid condi mesmer with runes of the undead has no problem dealing with thieves. My zerker phantasm build can kill them too (depending on whether they get the drop on me though).

No one cares about your dumb wvw duelling spec, you’re in the wrong forum.

55 HP Monks // Random scrubadub

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

wvw? I don’t do that. What are you talking about?

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

wvw? I don’t do that. What are you talking about?

this is not about 1v1 servers either… who the **** plays phantasm anyway, besides hotjoiners? god…

Read It Backwards [BooN]