Things have been MUCH MUCH worse after the paid tourny update

in PvP

Posted by: Rell.8395

Rell.8395

This is coming from a solo queue tPvP perspective. Since the introduction of paid tournaments and the ability to view ranks after each map, there has been a huge influx of noobs trying to win tickets and join paid tourney. Interestingly enough there are WAY MORE decent teams farming the free tPvPs, but there are fewer utterly atrocious ones that go for 500 to 0-100. It is ridiculous how paid tournament was introduced first instead of a ranking system (half of the teams are always left to buy tickets or farm them off free tPvP). For almost every single match there are ranks 1-10’s mixed with 30’s and even up to 40’s. Since it gets harder and harder to lvl up, the lvls actually much more than usual. The new qualifying points are completely useless. Wtf is the use of another currency? Seriously? To spend it like tickets? To use it for ranking? Glory serves as a better ranking than qualifying points. Besides how hard can it be to implement one? It has been done in other games and they had more modes. I don’t even want think about why there is only mode available right now.

in PvP

Posted by: Talve.9027

Talve.9027

Glory serves as a better ranking than qualifying points?
Rank in this game does not really equal skill. Having rank 40 does not mean you are stronger than rank 20 guy. Just means you have been pvping for longer period of time. One thing is to farm pvp, other thing is to actually improve and learn from your mistakes. 3rd thing is actually “how much of that rank have you actually gained with class your currently playing”. 4th factor is if you farm sPvP or tPvP.

So lets say i have farmed myself to rank 25+ on my ranger and switch to a new class (lets say elementalist). I blow on my elementalist: i mess up my cool down management, i don’t really realize class mechanics and i haven’t yet optimized the build to my play style and. Am i supposed to be matched up with other rank 25+?

What if its sPvP and i jump into a game to have fun as rank 40. Should i be allowed in? After all i can magically run everyone over.

Restricting people by rank does not really work out that well in this game.

But i do agree. The ticket system probably did mix the things up a little.

Noexc / Ranger
Talve / Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Rank – how many hours you have zerged around in a pack in 8v8.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in PvP

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

The way paid tourneys are right now the only ones even remotely going to get qualifying points are top end teams. Like PZ, TP, AC ect.. The entry fee is to steep for most teams and that hurts the Paid TPvP b/c only then the top teams are competing and getting QP. SO if Anet fixes the Entry fee for tickets to say OOOO 1 per round i.e. 1 for Nifheel, one for foefire and one for khylo it would be 3… So if if you make it to round 2 you pay a ticket ect.. That would help out teams a lot i think and make paid tourneys pop more.. but who knows.. Anet has there own theories I am sure.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

@TheZeus

agree with your point. At this moment PAID tournaments have a hudge waiting times, even in prime time. There is simply only few teams. And things will get worst since the quality is improving even the best guilds lose sometimes, and they will become lose more games as it will go to the situation where you really have like 30-40 teams.

Thats trully not enough. Its like grandmaster SC2 league which is cool, but not that accessible. I thought paid are for organized teams, not for TOP 50 only.

So in my opinion.. ANET should balance the entry price for tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

It is probably a delicate balancing act. If they lower the entry fee too much, you will have entire paid tournaments of baddies. Maybe there are 1-2 good teams in there. Now the entire thing was easy instead of “elite”. These paid tournaments are meant to be fiercely competitive and for top players only.

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

It is probably a delicate balancing act. If they lower the entry fee too much, you will have entire paid tournaments of baddies. Maybe there are 1-2 good teams in there. Now the entire thing was easy instead of “elite”. These paid tournaments are meant to be fiercely competitive and for top players only.

And what should average players do then?
Top teams – we talking about 50 ? what about the rest? shall we compette with same free tournaments with PUGs and randomly formed groups?

you right its delicate balancing act. Increasing reward in Free tournaments could also help.. just give more ticket in system so good winning teams get it faster and can switch.

in PvP

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

True is I see many ranks 2 or 3 in free tournies and I dont know why they are going there when they dont know tactics and their class very well. But on the other hand you cant make free tournies for lets say rank 10+ only because new guilds and premades want to participate there and they should have that chance so what I suggest is:

Make pug vs pug free tournies only (you can join there with rank 10+ only)
premade vs premade only (you can join there with rank 0 but only with full 5men team.

Dunno if its best solution but something should happen here.

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

The point of steep cost is to deter flooding of lower skill level into paid and depreciate the value of QPs. It is like GvG in GW1, everyone could do it, and you can with free, but only after you obtained enough rating did you start to earn title points or even want to do automated tournaments.

The point being that gw has never really had a mid level. It has always been the best and then the rest in a group. Plenty of organized teams still do free and it can be a big challenge still. A separate queue like random arenas for tourny would solve the pug issue.

As far as ticket cost for paid tourney, if you are having trouble funding the cost, then I think you probably shouldn’t be doing paid in the first place. 2 months and you don’t have 5 tickets at least stashed from free tourney. plus if you lose, you get back most of them anyway.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt