Thoughts after watching PAX finals?

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

First thing I noticed this game desperately needs to improve viewability is:

Remove NPCs HP bars when you are spectating

Tune down skill effects even more

Have every player play a Human character

And Im certain Anet realized by now the issue the AI spam is for cluterring the screen.

Thoughts?

(edited by Quickfoot Katana.8642)

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Sun Spirit is frankly too blinding. It covers too much information. If they can have some kind of priority list so that everything appears over top of the Sun spirit animation it would’ve been clearer. Every team fight with two-three rangers white spots blow up on the screen with all the pets on top of that. It’s somewhat ridiculous.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: fugazi.5139

fugazi.5139

Welcome To The Petting [ZoO] recruiting active tPvP players whisper for invite.

in PvP

Posted by: saVdoom.2067

saVdoom.2067

The game was complete garbage, not due teams but because it was boring as kitten to watch AIs doing all the work and people spamming condis without any depth play in it. The current meta is trash and so is pvp currently, but we all know that i’m pretty sure…

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

Engineer’s and Elementalist’s have highest skill cap by far yet neither were involved. They should surely be the best when played by the best….due to being hardest to play.

It was very crap to watch.

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

The only good part of the game were those last 10 seconds of khylo. In like 2 hours, 10 seconds were good.

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

The AoE kittenfest in graveyard was unwatchable. Constantly switching POV certainly didn’t help.

Khylo felt a little more watchable, but only in comparison to how silly the last round looked.

The commentary had to keep people informed on what was happening both on AND off screen because they had no control over which character they were viewing, and at times, we were watching an utter mess.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

Where’s Mogwow?

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

Engineer’s and Elementalist’s have highest skill cap by far yet neither were involved. They should surely be the best when played by the best….due to being hardest to play.

It was very crap to watch.

Up Rerroll

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

I thought that the commentators were the most professional thing about that whole event ^^

oh and spvp died a little more today…as it does everyday..

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

yeah the only real excitement was the final few minutes when it almost seems like sync was gonna hold out long enough.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

All I can say is I’m just really bummed out right now, and Anet isn’t going to fix anything, they just don’t care and their logic for everything is just horrible.

in PvP

Posted by: I have three accounts lol.3859

I have three accounts lol.3859

fix grenade explosion animations – you can not see a thing when spamming grenades in 1v1 – its actually gets better with more ppl when aoe effect tone down starts kicking in but in small scale fights its very very bad

in PvP

Posted by: Arrak.4092

Arrak.4092

PAX is over, let’s go back to balancing this game.

in PvP

Posted by: Lachanche.6859

Lachanche.6859

The AoE kittenfest in graveyard was unwatchable. Constantly switching POV certainly didn’t help.

Khylo felt a little more watchable, but only in comparison to how silly the last round looked.

The commentary had to keep people informed on what was happening both on AND off screen because they had no control over which character they were viewing, and at times, we were watching an utter mess.

what he said

in PvP

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Just double-tap to evade.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

It’s really hard to see what happens from those hovering observation points, and
with all these UI extras and the particle clutter, the AI overload while most of them
are asura don’t really help.

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

PAX is over, let’s go back to balancing this game.

Lol I didn’t bother watching… ^ this please then I’ll care again.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Alugjen Darlas.5329

Alugjen Darlas.5329

I died a little inside when Grouch called ‘’the lucky stomps’‘…i mean srs..this game is all about RNG.And once again the AI was so horribole , the dev tryed to make some joke on it , but we all know that this meta is a joke. And i will finish saying this ’’+1 to the dev who is gonna post something tomorrow on the spvp sub-forum’’

[SC]Nine Inch Nose -205 Precurssors .

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I asked myself what did I just watch? Hardly exciting and I didn’t expect it, given its gw2.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in PvP

Posted by: Amaterasu.6280

Amaterasu.6280

There is a new balance patch already, its called – double tap to evade.

Kuro – Thief – NA
Undercoverism [UC]

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

There is a new balance patch already, its called – double tap to evade.

You’re right, it makes the game play very reactive to have to dodge passive effects.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

My predictions after watching the finals;

These are the chain of events that will occur in the next few weeks;

- The adoption of the longbow Warrior
- The downfall of the Spirit Ranger
- The praise of the Longbow Warrior
- The call for nerfs on the Longbow Warrior
- The chats about how the Longbow Warrior requires no skill and can wipe teams because he can throw down a fire field.
- The counter to the Longbow Warrior discovered (this will only happen if a team decides to put their heads together)
- The nerf to the AoE range of the burst skill on the Longbow Warrior five years later.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

You’re late to the game. Longbow condition warriors are complained about all the time on the Warrior and WvW forums.

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

You’re late to the game. Longbow condition warriors are complained about all the time on the Warrior and WvW forums.

I guess I haven’t been reading the forums as often as I thought. Wasn’t it stun warriors people were complaining about?

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

I enjoyed it honestly but the moments when the 2 petting Zoo’s collided was unwatchable

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

New balance patch is “move on PVE/WWW”

And this is really sad

in PvP

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Asura is cheap. And don’t come with crappy counter arguments. An asura dodge can be mistaken for a mini jump. If they combine both, and spam them in chain, you will never know if he dodge or abuse mini jump fooling you.

Rune of lyssa is must on short elite CD’s.

Cleric is to low damage, berserker is not tanky enough, instead go hybrid, Knights gear, but use all passive healing possible with traits (adrenal health, signet heal, shouts heal, rune of lyssa 6th trigger 5 sec regen, + block + protection). This is the new meta/perfect balanced warrior build with almost no downsides. Thanks for bringing this cheap build to my attention Asura Votf warrior. I will use it like hell until they nerf it XD

Condition spam is meta. No way getting around it.

Spirit ranger can make it so chaotic, you must manage to click inbetween 10+ enemy tags to find the ranger. Multiply that with more rangers, and it’s a mess. Purely the ‘try to select the ranger mess’ might give the ranger team the advantage, player skills being what they are.

When the enemy team ignores a point, you win the game, you just walk to it and feel heroic, but in essence you are not a hero, because that takes no skill at all. There’s 1000’s of people playing pvp and every one of them can do that. Seeing it in a top tire tournement is disapointing, that decides the match sort of. It gives a wrong impression on the skills of either of the teams, cause the score is affected a lot by an easy action like this.

Thiefs must look for 1 vs 1’s, or they will die most likely in a tourny.

Aoe’s = meta. Using single target weapons won’t get you anywhere, apart from thiefs perpahs, and maybe mesmers. (but mesmers have aoe shatter, no matter build). The hardest spamming aoe team most likely wins the 5 vs 5 duel (not match). That’s why necro is still so meta. 4 aoe marks, 2 more if you use scepter/dagger in other slots. 2 incredible big/heavy aoe’s with profession mechanic (death shroud). And epidemic on top of it. The amount of pressure a necro can do is overwhelming. They lack any proper form of defence though.

Asura dodging fools enemies. This video there were so many bad timed dodges, and the only reason for this is the fake/weak/non existant asura animations.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

in PvP

Posted by: Edmo.7159

Edmo.7159

AoE rings with team color (Blue/Red rings), in spectator mode all rings are white so I do not know who used the skill and if the guy is standing on enemy or friendly AoE.

NPCs HP bars could have another color and being thinner

Difficult to read players name, the letters have to be bigger

Bloom effect makes the game blurry, sometimes it is worse than skill effects… the graphic should be more sharp, at least on sPVP, all that smooth on screen makes people yawn even in PVE and WvW streams… it is why not have as much stream of this game, it is much fun to play but boring to watch even for those who enjoy the game. Fix this smoothing!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Amaterasu.6280

Amaterasu.6280

The second minions come into play, the viewing pleasure is over.

I don’t know why they kept taking the camera AWAY from 1v1s and putting it on spirit ranger team fights…YOU CAN’T SEE ANYTHING! Why bother??

Kuro – Thief – NA
Undercoverism [UC]

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

but but.. spirit rangers take a lot of skill to play and spirit ranger vs spirit ranger is two guys actively responding to the passive effects of the other.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Alkaholic.3875

Alkaholic.3875

If u think humans would have made ANY difference in the chaos on the screen, u’re delusional…

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

but but.. spirit rangers take a lot of skill to play and spirit ranger vs spirit ranger is two guys actively responding to the passive effects of the other.

Zing! This thread is going places!

AS to the OP’s question, I completely agree on viewability issues. For GW2 PvP to have any shot at general spectator appeal, visual effects need to be toned down a lot, every skill must have a distinct animation and/or cast bars must be added, and player model size needs to be normalised. Oh, and bring overall AoE damage down across the board on all professions. No more of this “just spam the point” nonsense.

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

in PvP

Posted by: mbh.8301

mbh.8301

And Im certain Anet realized by now the issue the AI spam is for cluterring the screen.

The petting zoo build lost pax, therefore there is nothing wrong with it.

[quote=1567239;Lexie.5894:] My PVP experience is very consistent. I run around,
I fight people, sometimes they kill me, sometimes I kill them. Fun is had by all. [/quote]

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

One of the worst matches i’ve ever seen in gw2.
Lots of AOE’s, pets, condis and various effects. From the 2 hour event, the only thing that was fun was 20 seconds of some 1 vs 1 fights, 20 sec for 2 hours.
Thank god it’s over, now get back to work dev’s and try to fix this mess u call game.

in PvP

Posted by: PsyOnic.3108

PsyOnic.3108

I played this game for 10 months now. You think, you would develop an eye for big teamfights. But no, I couldn’t even tell what was happening, most of the time. How is this fun to watch? You know that the player went down and the others try to rezz him. But you don’t know what ate at his life-bar. It’s pure chaos.

in PvP

Posted by: DontThrowEggsPls.4235

DontThrowEggsPls.4235

I tried watching the matches, and it was a terrible viewing experience. It was just a bunch of nameplates moving around, no idea what was going on, not engaging at all.

My opinion is that the only way to make this entertaining and fun to spectate is to keep the camera at the players’ PoV, and keep it really close to the players so you see all the cool attack animation and you can actually tell what’s going on in a fight.

And for the love of god, disable that freaking bloom when you spectate on the Guild map.

in PvP

Posted by: IDarko.4709

IDarko.4709

Why did we see bird eye view of chaotic teamfights instead of the 1v1 fights?? 1v1 fights are actually watchable were teamfights with spirit rangers are just messed up to watch. Only when someone is getting downed, is it getting interesting for the viewer. Secondly, via player pov you can actually see fun and awesome gameplay, skills being fired and whatnot. At one point, it was Caed vs Super and Grouch went to waterfall teamfight…. To throw salt in the wound, Chaplain mentioned how awesome that 1v1 was (which we missed as spectator…)

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]
Gandara – WvW Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Petting Zoo is not OP guys.

in PvP

Posted by: Lachanche.6859

Lachanche.6859

This pax ? Yet another nail on the coffin of spvp.

in PvP

Quickfoot Katana.8642

What does it matter that they lost?

Firstly, they lost purely on backcaps, they had no communication focused on that.

Secondly, so you think because the team with spirit rangers lost, that the amount of spirits and their effects cluttering the screen is forgivable, because they lost?

It’s NOT enjoyable, and it is confusing to watch spirit rangers.

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

“The team that won was running a petting zoo build – obviously there is something wrong with it.

See why this argument doesn’t work?

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Didn’t the winning team only have 1 ranger? And didn’t the winning team’s warrior shut down the other rangers the whole match? Why are we still talking about spirit rangers?

in PvP

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Didn’t the winning team only have 1 ranger? And didn’t the winning team’s warrior shut down the other rangers the whole match? Why are we still talking about spirit rangers?

Was lurking, but the answer is because spirit rangers are the newest “we must nerf this no matter what!” QQ-magnet PvP has seen. The community around PvP is the one thing that makes PvP near impossible to joy. “You beat my build, yours is either OP or you were cheating!” is the common mindset I’ve seen here.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in PvP

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Anyone have a link to the vid? I checked the twitch channel but didn’t see it…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in PvP

Posted by: Stof.9584

Stof.9584

Anyone have a link to the vid? I checked the twitch channel but didn’t see it…

Exactly. Watch PAX? How?

If you didn’t catch it live, good luck digging through the entire stream… when will the developers understand that if they want serious viewership they need to make their content visible and easily accessible?

It’s the first worldwide event / one year anniversary celebration and it’s not even highlighted on the Twitch channel… can’t you simply upload the matches to Youtube? If you want to be taken seriously try to take minor attention of what similar companies and games are doing: League Of Legends, for example.

At this point, everything good about this game is community driven. I don’t care anymore, here is the link: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/454437568 – around 4 to 5 hours in.

Desolation EU – Necromancer / Thief
Top 100 Solo Q for a full minute

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

Was lurking, but the answer is because spirit rangers are the newest “we must nerf this no matter what!” QQ-magnet PvP has seen. The community around PvP is the one thing that makes PvP near impossible to joy. “You beat my build, yours is either OP or you were cheating!” is the common mindset I’ve seen here.

Passive Play. Passive play is the problem. Along with screen clutter and body blocking. How did you miss that?

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

i face warriors with Super’s build and my spirits get kitten d and i get kitten d.

Petting Zoo is not OP. Super’s warrior build is OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

I would say that 90% of specs you find in spvp tournaments are overpowered.
Warrior was the only balanced profession, till they gave them anti condi superpowers.