Time to address the Tutorial!

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Page 1:

The most common mistake I see when helping new players, is that they have a pre-set pvp build that they don’t even know they have loaded, because the game doesn’t really tell them how anything works in the sPvP lobby, besides a few “hints” when you first enter sPvP, which isn’t enough!

Players are never directed to the training grounds either, or taught about some of the basics of sPvP…most new players I end up helping out don’t even know there is a build window or how to change it…THIS IS HUGE

~First thing is first, please give the PvP build window a default keybind! I don’t know how this has slipped the dev’s minds for so long, but for the love of balthazar, set it to a keybind for players and let them know what button it is. ~

Now that is out of the way:

All PvP reward tracks should be locked until you complete a basic “Training Track” that would involve mechanics in the training area and progress something similar to: (excluding cannons…because no current maps use them) if a player has not achieved any PvP rank (so it only triggers on new players really, but who knows, some older players may find it useful too)

Each of these will have a popup window (like hints) that would describe actions and rewards for these mechanics. (the hints/popup descriptions will be in bold, and bulletpoints will be objectives.)

Players would progress through these similar to a collection, achievement, or reward track. Listed below are the requirements for progressing through the track.

Onto Page 2~

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

in PvP

Zietlogik.6208

Page 2:

• Visit the Training Grounds area.
    (Here, we will learn about the basic mechanics of the various PvP Environments.)
  • Open your PvP Build window.
    (This screen will help you build your character to fight alongside teammates in PvP matches. The Traits, Sigils and Amulet are all you need to get started in PvP. These will change as you swap between PvP and PvE areas, so be sure to open this window when you enter any PvP zone to double-check your setup.)
  • Rally an ally in the Training Grounds.
    (Keeping your allies alive is important in all game-types, but even more so in a PvP environment, so be sure to revive fallen allies to keep your team strong.)
  • Stomp an Enemy in the Training Grounds.
    (Just as important as reviving allies, defeating an enemy is also a great way to strengthen your team, and make your enemies rethink their strategy and positioning.)
  • Use a Trebuchet in the Training Grounds.
    (This secondary objective is located on the Battle of Khylo PvP map and allows you to bombard an area with heavy hitting Trebuchet shots to give your allies the edge in battle.)
  • Destroy a Trebuchet in the Training Grounds.
    (Both teams in Battle of Khylo start the match with a trebuchet ready for them, so destroying the enemies is a great way to reduce any advantage they can gain from it.)
  • Repair the broken Trebuchet in the Training Grounds.
    (Even if your Trebuchet is destroyed, or you destroy the enemy team’s Trebuchet, the Repair Kit is a tool that can make it usable again during a match.)
  • Gain a temporary buff by defeating The Chieftain or Svanir in the Training Grounds.
    (By defeating these neutral monsters on the Forest of Niflhel, you will grant your team an instant 25 points as well as a helpful buff to boost your team’s power and stats.)
  • Kill the enemy Guild Lord.
    (On the Legacy of the Foefire map, there is a powerful NPC heavily guarded in each team’s base. By defeating this NPC you will grant your team an instant 150 points.)
  • Channel and capture a neutral node in the Training Grounds.
    (Many maps in PvP require you to channel for a brief moment in order to capture an objective or buff. Such as the Orb of Ascension on Spirit Watch and various buffs on Temple of the Silent Storm.)

>>This is where the Training Area stops, and the real training begins!<<

• Capture a neutral capture point in any PvP match.
    (Only one player is required to capture a capture point in the Conquest mode for sPvP, and will not progress faster with more than one player on the point.)
  • Capture an enemy controlled Capture Point in any PvP match.
    (Once you or a teammate stands on an enemy controlled capture point, it will first become neutral before starting to be captured for your team.)
  • Defend a capture point your team controls for 10 seconds in any PvP match.
    (When defending a capture point in sPvP, it is a good idea to type in Team Chat to let your teammates know if you see enemies nearby or need assistance.)
  • Rally an ally in any PvP match.
    (Be careful when resurrecting an ally with enemies nearby, you will not be able to defend yourself when resurrecting.)
  • Stomp an Enemy in any PvP match.
    (Finishing an enemy in sPvP not only grants your team points, it can resurrect nearby downed allies if they also attacked the enemy you finished!)
  • Complete 1 match of sPvP
    (You now know the basics of sPvP, now get out there and fight for Glory!)

-Done-

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Sooloo.1364

Sooloo.1364

This game relies entirely on word of mouth from other players on how to get things done, and if new players don’t ask they never find out. I often still get surprised when I see a player who doesn’t even know that there is a pvp build menu, they just assume that their pve build carries into the match. When we had to idle in the pvp lobby between matches this was rarer, but queuing while farming is normal now so I guess it was bound to happen.

in PvP

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

I often still get surprised when I see a player who doesn’t even know that there is a pvp build menu, they just assume that their pve build carries into the match.

This was me a few weeks ago! I jumped in and had no clue. Where are these amulets metabattle is speaking of and I am trying to change runes or sigils on my stuff but I AM STILL DYING! Lol. Halfway through my leveling to 20 in unranked I found out what I was missing. I suggested a tutorial in another post as well and think that would have some great benefit.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

yes, this is a great idea. one thing I would add is the concept of rotating. the sticky at the top of this page has a great tutorial on that.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Glael.7643

Glael.7643

Great idea. Also a tutorial on rotations. Some new players I encountered didn’t even know that you need to cap points.

main necro,thief
nerf thief, nerf it all

in PvP

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

I hope this is something they revist and update before or for next season would possibly help overall basic expected team responsibilities.

in PvP

Zietlogik.6208

Great idea. Also a tutorial on rotations. Some new players I encountered didn’t even know that you need to cap points.

Even with Duke Nukem telling them to take them? I haven’t really seen many players that don’t know about capture points, but see plenty fighting in no man’s land not contributing to objective fights.