To the posters that are disrespectful toward devs

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

You all have read the hateful posts that address the devs in a small, spiteful manner

Its pretty off-putting and sometimes downright disgusting to read some of the posts

We all have complaints, but it’s like dude, first learn talk like a decent human being?

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

kitten them! they took my money and sold me out to Thieves Mesmers and Guardians!!!

RAGE!!!!!11111!!11!

no seriously, what are you talking about? We love Devs! We hug them and squeeze them and name them George (even though we know they prefer “Chap”)

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

People are upset because they’re passionate about the game (which is awesome) and they want it to live up to its full potential.

I don’t take negative posts personally. Rather, I try to put myself in their shoes, listen to what they’re really trying to say (once you get past the rage), and try to find a way to fix the cited issues, if I think they’re good for the game.

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: MarcusKilgannon.5048

MarcusKilgannon.5048

It seems to be just a lot of rage towards thieves and them still running the show without a huge nerf immediately dropped. To be fair, I hate the class too and even tried them out. So faceroll I couldn’t stand it, but I get that balancing takes time and effort so for now, I just have to deal with them.

in PvP

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

You all have read the hateful posts that address the devs in a small, spiteful manner

Its pretty off-putting and sometimes downright disgusting to read some of the posts

We all have complaints, but it’s like dude, first learn talk like a decent human being?

Do not pls gather all complainers under one banner, many of us complainers are well aware of the effort which goes in creating a game and we only limit ourself in giving constructive criticism, so yeah not all of us “whiners” are kittens

in PvP

Posted by: Colton.9460

Colton.9460

And just like that, with a short blurb Jonathan Sharp has my confidence back (not that anyone cares lol). Nice to see that devs are not gettting frustrated with feedback but are taking it seriously and know we only complain because we care. Now if he would just edify us on how we are using deathshroud wrong all will be at peace in Tyria for me

“I’m watching you violate my game mode”

in PvP

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

Because the game is poorly designed and not fun at all.

I see it froma different perspective I just think they went the wrong route by choosing conquest and then deciding to balance around conquest which doesn’t call for the same balance as you would balance when they balanced gvg.

Also they allowed extremes and one hits into the game which I highly and strongly disagree with I think it is a lazy way to balance the game but lets each class always have chances to kill eachother when they will be running around solo to cap a point in conquest while you can also hit a respawn button after death every time. It works in conquest but destroys everything you want from guildwars including arenas and gvg if you don’t take other measures which I explain in my other threads video.

I just think they went the wrong route with pvp when if you compare all the mmos out there. Conquest will be common. However guildwars 1 pvp is the game that really stands out as different and a solid pvp game which is why players like me would try other mmo’s but we would go back to guildwars one.

I originally thought wvw would be open world pvp which I really don’t like open world pvp but I think one or two servers done properly (I actually have a lot of ways I thought of last night that would make gw2 have really good world pvp it kind of separates these servers from the others though and you would not have access to your old bank accounts on them and they would run off a different trading post and not take server transfers and share gathering nodes with other people).

I see potential in wvw with quite a few creative changes but I see nothing good coming from conquest other than the destruction of guildwars 2. Conquest should be one of those side formats that isn’t balanced around but is playable, similar to how alliance battles were.

So far I have thought of ways to successfully implement :
Open World
Gvg
Arenas (which would translate into all guildwars 1 formats also like codex and team arenas)

I think everyone would also agree that world vs world could do with some loot changes, which I have also made a thread for in my list of posts you can find it and I also seen someone else bring up my wall idea while I was banned that was in that same post to add some extra strategy to the game.

In my GvG post I also stated something that would make for a fun endgame minigame, which was somewhat an idea I seen on here, but taken and morphed into my point of view on it.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Game-needs-more-formats/first#post595609

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

(edited by R E F L H E X.8413)

in PvP

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

The point is that people who actually love the game and want it to get better are complaining on the forum with constructive criticism, maybe in wrong manners sometimes.

People who don’t give a kitten about the game have already rerolled thief.

That’s because there are more thieves than whiners.

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

Yes you’re right I did not mean to generalize all complainers are disrepectful.

i think most posters here are contructive and good to read, but i just read some troll/foul posters and was put off by their attitudes

in PvP

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

glass cannons should kill ppl, and get killed easly ofc,
tank should tank, and not do much dmg

for the moment i only see whines a glass cannon thief has insta gibed and unlucky light armor fellow who was watching the fight from far away. It is wrong to kill him ?
do you like 50 minutes fights and see who makes a mistake and die slowly? is that what you want ?

in PvP

Colton.9460

glass cannons should kill ppl, and get killed easly ofc,
tank should tank, and not do much dmg

for the moment i only see whines a glass cannon thief has insta gibed and unlucky light armor fellow who was watching the fight from far away. It is wrong to kill him ?
do you like 50 minutes fights and see who makes a mistake and die slowly? is that what you want ?

Yes I would like longer fights, for mistakes to be seen and recoverable with skill, and for everyone to die in a slow epic match. I think that makes for better e-sport and more fun for just gamers. 50 minutes no, 2-5 minutes sure. A bunch of people instagabing, no matter how complicated the combo isnt fun to watch. True Sports are about showmanship, the more epic the action the more entralled the viewer will be

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

8-12 sec , sound a very resonable time for a 1v1 fight , DanH (exept bunkers) :P
Half the time in a 2v2 (when they cordinate , what target to hit)
And even less in 4v4 :P

in PvP

Posted by: Cheyenne.1085

Cheyenne.1085

There are countless issues with sPvP, and PvP in general. So many it would take multiple posts just to begin to cover it, so I’ll start with one thing that gets on my nerves.

The issue is that when I lose a fight, it’s not because I was outplayed, it’s because my opponent was the right class/build and figured out the right 3 button combo to win. But don’t get me wrong it’s not just about losing fights. When I beat somebody, I should be satisfied with my play. Unfortunately I’m not, because all I did was abuse a class mechanic and simple button combo that took me 15 minutes of playing the class to figure out. I will literally run the same rotation over and over and beat every single person who isn’t the perfect counter class/build. This is just one of many issues that makes sPvP a joke.

in PvP

Posted by: AnthonyZdravko.2051

AnthonyZdravko.2051

@killthehealers – 8-12 seconds is an awful time for a fight, that’s despicable and the fact fights in gw2 can sometimes be shorter needs to be addressed. you can’t display true skill if fights are 10 seconds, thats just rotating through your skills, theres no clever tactics when you engage every opponent the same way… for example …let’s see… cloak and dagger, steal, backstab, cloak and dagger, backstab?

in PvP

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

People are upset because they’re passionate about the game (which is awesome) and they want it to live up to its full potential.

I don’t take negative posts personally. Rather, I try to put myself in their shoes, listen to what they’re really trying to say (once you get past the rage), and try to find a way to fix the cited issues, if I think they’re good for the game.

I’m rather concerned none the less. We went through this years ago on the Gw1 Wiki and eventually, Fatigue set in. Devs are human beings too and eventually the rote memory of it all day-in-day-out just leads to skimming which leads to missing really solid suggestions… or worse, taking suggestions but then missing the entire reason that they were suggested so that the outcome …. umm how do I put this without sounding snarky towards sPvP … Doesn’t just resemble Codex with the limited map rotation of Costume Brawl, and the same missing Ranking/Ladder system that forces Pro Guilds to constantly wreck Pubbers in every single arranged team game.

Not at all implying this is how it is now; that’s just how things ended up, all because the Community itself refused to learn how to speak more eloquently when addressing both eachother, and the Designers. I really hope they listen up this time and practice some self-moderation so these boards won’t require so many paid moderators. It’s really giving the entire community (and the staff) a bad reputation among many unofficial GW fansites.

• *On the positive side of things…. I was delighted to read that the Designers are keeping a close eye on Defensive cooldowns versus Spiking/Pressure potential. Yes there’s some organized teams that will do ridiculous things with Bunkering tactics but we know Anet doesn’t use those teams as the baseline.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

personally, I blame the public education system for the failings of these ineloquent and inarticulate posters.

then I blame the parents for not teaching them patience, manners, and common courtesy.

then I blame George

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Posted by: Sco.9615

Sco.9615

Player personally made quite a few very hurtful posts towards the devs for various reasons while making a point or two (feel free to view history). Player glad you can look past the negative but Player doesn’t feel like that’s an excuse to attack each other. Player guilty of it and Player do feel bad for some of it. As Human said, very passionate. Player sorry that sometimes Player have a hard time controlling Player frustration. What fuels Player rage more than anything however is the sense of abandonment. Player don’t feel like Player on the same page as Human anymore. Player always said ANet was favorite company if only for one reason; the amount of communication Player can expect from them on a regular basis. Lately however Player have not been feeling that. (Player mainly talking about the mess on the Ranger forums) Player knows every single person there is probably swamped working on one thing or another and it isn’t really your job to do this but, can Human(any one who wants to) just set aside a few minutes at the end of the day and each post a short comment on what you did or are planning to do? Player would love to be able to log on to forums and go to a little sub section in a dark corner of the forums where different Humans just go to spew thoughts, plans, frustrations, and even hopes for anything GW2. Player want to share your passion for the game again. To put it bluntly, Human keeps Player under control. Looks down in guilt
Player let you go now as Player understands Human are busy.

P.S. Okay, I’m sorry for the poor Quaggan impersonation but I love em so whatever. Sue me.)

Communication is the greatest gift the world of today can offer us.
So why do we choose to ignore it?

(edited by Sco.9615)

in PvP

Colton.9460

quote system won’t work but @killthehealersffs

In games where aiming is important and one headshot kills I might agree with you, but in the world of lock targeting and diverse class archetypes that makes no sense. Skill is not just a test of reflexes and who can play a burst dps the best, it is about strategy, reflexes, game knowledge, and positioning, if not more.

in PvP

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

cant quote properly.
Anyway, i like your way of thinking, but sometimes the lack of reply can really exasperate the players. Even something stupid like:

“we are working on it”

can really help to chill out some situations.

Im a fellow guardian and in the last month i see any kind of thing in our section of the forum, and the lack of response made all more dramatic; and i have to admit that i have exagerate too sometime.

but keep in mind that if we are here to discuss, is because we really have faith on this game ^^.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

in PvP

Posted by: MarcusKilgannon.5048

MarcusKilgannon.5048

I would love to see some more obvious or direct fan interaction from Anet to see our ideas being implemented into the game, but I suppose we’ll see. They seem to be more subtle about it.
I play another free MMO and the developers put up a poll about what players wanted changed and the system for getting certain gear through tokens, people wanted it gone. It got a massive outvoting so the Dev’s just scratched the entire system and basically said, “hey, you guys play the game, tell us want you want”. I love that mentality.

in PvP

Posted by: Rhydian.5412

Rhydian.5412

I will gripe about things that annoy me, but never insult these devs, Devs that actually talk to you daily on the forums, on cough another game I played certain classes are lucky to get any feedback once a year and usually either third person or you find out during the patch. These forums are also not FLOODED with paid moderators who have personal agendas and go into GOD mode with forum bans.

It is a matter of perspective, if you played GW1 and only GW1 you probably think this is normal mmo forum behavior, you have not experienced the forum Fascism of WOW or the blatant disdain for player concerns shown on other games or certain devs who carry that attitude with them from game to game. As long as they never hire Tom Chilton or Greg Street consider yourselves lucky.

in PvP

Posted by: Eliteseraph.4970

Eliteseraph.4970

That’s a little hard to do when you have overzealous forum mods that delete and infract every post that even has the word “anet” in it, even if it’s normal discussion and NOT raging or angry/disrespectful.

Still, I appreciate that the devs even read some of this stuff. I’ve said it hundreds of times, but communication with your players is the key to a successful game, even if all that communication is “We’ve read what you guys are saying. We don’t agree or disagree at this point, but we wanted to let you know that we ARE paying attention.”

The WoW style stonewall approach is just going to foster more anger, imho.

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

Yea… im kinda mad now. Passionate, whatever. I dont think its grounds to insult the devs personally, that kind of language is uncalled for. But an apology for launching the game before pvp was anywhere near ready would be nice.

Just a quick: we are sorry, we thought we were near launch but realised after that announcement that some of the changes we had planned would require a lot of deep changes to the code. This has resulted in some serious delays on addressing issues such as match making, spectating, balancing, the evaluation of game mechanics, bug fixes, and more.

We would like to share our visiom with you, but were adamant about our policy of not unveil things until were certain, and until these deep code changes are polished we cant do sufficient internal testing to be certain.

We can say that character changes will not be possible mid tournament and that we want to see a mix of balanced, burst, and bunker builds in tPvP. We are waiting to see if gear swaps and utility skill swaps will be allowed.

Our vision of balance includes every class being able to play a balanced build and either a burst or bunker build in competitive tpvp. We hope to allow subtle customizations of these builds through the trait system, so two bunker guardians are not identical.

We dont want to give an estimate of when youll start to see these issues addressed. Glhf and in the interum were happy to announce the creation of the battle pets forum, where posters are welcome to share their ideas about the meta and rules for the battle pets mini game we hope to implement next decade, between 2020 and 2029.

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

As the red post in this very thread proves:

the dev’s can take care of themselves.

If people are rude, than the forum moderators step in before the dev’s even could, to be honest.
And beyond that: I’m quite confident that the dev’s themselves don’t need much protection from us.

Also: there is a fine line between being extremely critical or disapointed, and being rude towards the dev’s themselves.

If I say I think this game has an utterly stupid XYZ design, than I’m not polite, but not all that insulting either on a personal level.

If I say that Jonathan here is utterly stupid because he designed XYZ, than I doubt it would even make it past the forum moderator. And rightfully so…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Exactly what the LoL reds used to say. Hopefully the game turns out to be as successful/awesome in the long run. =D

in PvP

Posted by: Expansive.3716

Expansive.3716

8-12 seconds is an awful time for a fight, that’s despicable and the fact fights in gw2 can sometimes be shorter needs to be addressed. you can’t display true skill if fights are 10 seconds, thats just rotating through your skills, theres no clever tactics when you engage every opponent the same way… for example …let’s see… cloak and dagger, steal, backstab, cloak and dagger, backstab?

+1
Very nice post AnthonyZdravko. I agree with that wholeheartedly and i know for a fact that Anet didn’t intend for this game to be about who can can kill the other person in 3 seconds flat. In that scenario, there isn’t any combat involved and everyone might as well be playing Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Godorn.2931

Godorn.2931

I agree, no need to be disrespectful. However, adamantly describing complaints is valid and should be considered a courtesy on why any individual decides to terminate a business relationship.

ANet has lost my business because of spike damage in this game. I have seen posts and SS of some thief damage and find it unacceptable that some ppl are being killed in ~1.5s.

I also take issue with Orbs, time interval of free player transfers, latency issues relative to stealth mechanics, and the capacity of dungeon mobs being able to kill a player through the duration of one stun. You only get 2 dodge rolls for a specified time interval.

What ANet decides to do, and/or lack thereof will influence my decision to reenter the fold as a customer.

Best regards……

in PvP

Posted by: denyitbattle.2609

denyitbattle.2609

The thing I’ve been the most encouraged about from the devs is their apparent ability to let all the rage and stupidity go in one ear and out the other.

Being confident that you know your product better than idiots yelling baseless claims is something that seems to be in short supply in this industry.

I am a little nervous about the up coming November patch as ANet has stated that they will be touching about all of the classes and I think things are pretty close to good as it is (plus we still need a lot better visability of the high-end with spectator mode and skrims for the meta to shake out). But I’m sure I’ll be impressed again ( I mean they really nailed the whole healing eles being a bit too much to handle thing) and my faith will never be higher =).

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

The thing I’ve been the most encouraged about from the devs is their apparent ability to let all the rage and stupidity go in one ear and out the other.

Being confident that you know your product better than idiots yelling baseless claims is something that seems to be in short supply in this industry.

I am a little nervous about the up coming November patch as ANet has stated that they will be touching about all of the classes and I think things are pretty close to good as it is (plus we still need a lot better visability of the high-end with spectator mode and skrims for the meta to shake out). But I’m sure I’ll be impressed again ( I mean they really nailed the whole healing eles being a bit too much to handle thing) and my faith will never be higher =).

PvP designers, in my experience, have very tough skin. A lot of us grew up in competitive environments (for me that’s everything from international Starcraft and Guild Wars, to live fighter game tournaments, to high school and intramural sports, to high school and college debate), so we’re used to having to calmly deal with conflict.

When in conflict, I’ve found that the most important thing to do is to breathe. If you keep your eyes open, your head clear, and stay in your breath, the answer to any problem will eventually come to you. You just have to keep breathing, one breath at at time (this is especially important when you’re doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu!)

And, when I said we’d be hitting all classes, I meant that we look at ways to give all classes more enjoyment from their builds and balance, not just the current build of the week. We try to spread the love around as much as we can.

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: denyitbattle.2609

denyitbattle.2609

Thanks Jon! I think it shows in the results that Anet is comprised of well-balanced individuals working together to make the best product they can.

As you said, maintaining an even temperament is imperative when you are trying to develop a balanced game systems especially when communicating those developments to a very… emotional player base.

Like I said, I’m sure I’ll be quite impressed with the results of the November patch.

Keep up the good work!

in PvP

Posted by: Hanzo.9624

Hanzo.9624

“(this is especially important when you’re doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu!)”

Especially when you’re transitioning from 50/50 guard to a berimbolo.

in PvP

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

PvP designers, in my experience, have very tough skin. A lot of us grew up in competitive environments (for me that’s everything from international Starcraft and Guild Wars, to live fighter game tournaments, to high school and intramural sports, to high school and college debate), so we’re used to having to calmly deal with conflict.

That’s a great policy. Unfortunately, it seems like other designers do not have a very thick skin. In fact, some designers seem to think anyone questioning them in any way is a personal attack.

I think you should share your great advice for dealing with conflict with other designers. They could greatly benefit from the concept that criticism is not an attack.

in PvP

Posted by: Krighton.2138

Krighton.2138

Actually no you don’t. You delete those posts and only 4 people get to read them. They’re completely ignored. Look at my posting history, infraction list…infraction list.. srsly… the moderation around here needs to grow up and quit crying like little girls.

What I post is an opinion, I don’t give @#$% if it’s insult, like you said, people are passionate.

Young people haven’t learned the way of the world. Asking nicely gets you no where. You don’t become successful in this world by opening doors, saying thank you , and asking for permission.

You take what you want, if you have no control over it, you demand it and threaten. Even if you have no grounds or a leg to stand. You push on, don’t back down and continue.

those people knock down 100+K a year , rest work at McDonald’s.

Now balance the classes.

Nerf guardian dmg by 40%
Increase thief dmg by 10%
Fix the Mezmer clone dmg exploit so they will return to being a useless class all together in both PvP and PvE.
..and lastly, I’ll have a coke.