Too many quitters

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Seems like almost every game nowadays has people either Dc’ing or afk’ing within the first minute, often time multiple people.

What gives? I’ve never seen it this bad before. Why are people so salty nowadays?

Also can we get better quitting penalties?

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Struct.7453

Struct.7453

even worst, you get dc’d and try your best to reconnect only to find out that your team is now mad at you because they decided to give up and save their “pips” in this omg 4v5. I’ve also been dc’d 5 times during a match and still won and rolled their faces hard.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Probably those that wanted coliseum and are disappointed that not everyone wants to play that map for the millionth time.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I know it is a tricky nut to tackle but I would like a way to measure player participation in a match. A way to make player keep playing even if the game seems to be lost.

A score measuring for damage taken, healed, dealt and objectives cleared, interrupted and more.
The more score you get (score not visible) the better reward you get. May it be gold, karma, items, experience points for another reward track or whatever.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I used to believe that it was bad sportsmanship to quit a game. Then again, it’s bad sportsmanship to set up a match stacked for one side to win.

The problem is the matchmaking.

Mesmerising Girl

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

It’s rude to quit and people shouldn’t do it.

But it’s ultimately a design issue. Point roatations, builds, and coordination are paramount, and if an individual feels like he can’t make a difference combative or otherwise (like a Mesmer’s utility), they are likely to be dishearted to the point of giving up.

Even more so for solo players who have no loyalty to their team, and is going to be an even bigger problem soon. You can say “carry harder” sure, and some will try. But a majority will bail.

The game type needs to change to adapt to this, because we will always come back to this issue. OR the population will decline again and we’ll be back to a few teams that only a select few with a vested interest care about.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Too many quitters

in PvP

Crinn.7864

But it’s ultimately a design issue. Point roatations, builds, and coordination are paramount, and if an individual feels like he can’t make a difference combative or otherwise (like a Mesmer’s utility), they are likely to be dishearted to the point of giving up.

I wouldn’t call it a design issue. Every PvP game I’ve ever played has had issues with quitters.

I made this thread because this past week has had like 3x as many quitters as normal.

YouTube

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

I just go afk from time to time if I get a feeling like 3 team mates are supposed to carry 2 beginners and this doesn’t work out. I think developers who have implemented the current matchmaking algorithms hurt the game pretty badly. It discourages new players and veterans. In the end the pvp scene looses both. Introducing a solo queue or improvments in class balancing wont do much as long as anet has no clue how to create fair matchups.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

I just go afk from time to time if I get a feeling like 3 team mates are supposed to carry 2 beginners and this doesn’t work out. I think developers who have implemented the current matchmaking algorithms hurt the game pretty badly. It discourages new players and veterans. In the end the pvp scene looses both. Introducing a solo queue or improvments in class balancing wont do much as long as anet has no clue how to create fair matchups.

This ^

I’m getting oblivious players in my team, to the point where ones best effort will not carry because of the plain stupidity of teammates.

If I can tell by the way my team instantly suicides how bad we are, I can’t help but predict the match outcome and explain to my team that afk’ing is a lot less time consuming than struggling and suiciding untill the match ends.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

(edited by Menzies The Heretic.3415)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Probably those that wanted coliseum and are disappointed that not everyone wants to play that map for the millionth time.

^ This, I admit when I needed just a few more wins to get my coliseum achievement I used to get annoyed when another map was chosen. However I never AFK’ed. I would just switch to another class that I was planning to learn on and just chill/play that match.

I will agree that ive seen a lot more people DC or AFK in the first couple min. More so than usual.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I wouldn’t call it a design issue. Every PvP game I’ve ever played has had issues with quitters.

I made this thread because this past week has had like 3x as many quitters as normal.

GW2 historically has had more quitters and afkers, or at least it is relative to our low population compared to any other game. This could be a conformation bias, but clearly no one is alone in this issue for how frequent it is discussed.

Dota/Mobas being the closest thing for one team member rage quitting, and yet people still experience significantly less quitters there, compared to how often people are willing to ditch games here.

The problem I see is in disheartened individuals with “little” option for individual skill based come back, and blind devotion to a meta that promotes low risk-high reward cycling sumo matches that no one wants to watch despite A-nets esports ad campaign, sprinkled with players who are outwardly toxic to friend and foe alike.

Unless we change the aspects of the core game to make it more punishing to the type of play we have now, we will ALWAYS come back to this, and a large chunk of players will justify quitting.

I again don’t think anyone should quit since every experience in combat you have is beneficial, but I’m not surprised this is a rampant issue.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I know MM is not great.

But you can still do a lot even with bad teammates. You still improve by playing despite terrible teammates. Actually you improve more with bad teammates. Every one has his carry limit, trying your best even in difficult situations help you raise that limit.

If the weaker side just give up every time, we may as well not have competition at all. Why not just determine the winner by MMR at the start of the game by your logic?

There is no reason to go afk.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: AGGabriel.9230

AGGabriel.9230

Sadly the pvp is dead in turns of fair fights, quitting sometimes when the odds are against you it’s sometimes necessary the (pvp) game has become a Blitzkrieg (Lightning War) a rush were the leading team gets 300 and the oposing gets 100 i’m surprised only some have met 1 or 3 ,the (AFK) notestest it’s not worth it to continue they got they points(to add to there contribution) and better luck next time to tell the truth (crossed my mind and did it sometimes)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Kitrace Starbird.1742

Kitrace Starbird.1742

If Anet could figure out a way to determine if a DC was due to lag out vs opt out, then it would be fair to give dishonor to opt outs at least 10 minutes- length of a match or more. There would be less quitters then… as far as idle players, there is always the report function.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If Anet could figure out a way to determine if a DC was due to lag out vs opt out, then it would be fair to give dishonor to opt outs at least 10 minutes- length of a match or more. There would be less quitters then… as far as idle players, there is always the report function.

Not all DC’s are because of lagging out. Several weeks ago, I ended up abandoning a couple matches since I was having GPU issues and the computer locked up when loading into the map. Other people could experience power or internet outages. All of those could resemble opting out of a match.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’ve had connection problems to the game the last few day, getting random"could not connect to the login server crashes. It’s really annoying to find out that even if im DC’d for a few seconds, I end up with dishonored. I’m up to about 15 mins time out for things that are out of my control. I know it’s not my internet, as I’ve phoned them and done connection/speed tests. So I know it’s a problem with ANet, or the hardware in between. Also one of the latest updates was supposed to fix a server crash, so maybe thay had something to do with the DC’s we’ve been seeing lately.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Too many quitters

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

I’ve just quit a game, 200 -20 in the first couple of minutes. That was the third heavily outmatched game in a row.

This is the fault of the game, not the players.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Kitrace Starbird.1742

Kitrace Starbird.1742

Not all DC’s are because of lagging out. Several weeks ago, I ended up abandoning a couple matches since I was having GPU issues and the computer locked up when loading into the map. Other people could experience power or internet outages. All of those could resemble opting out of a match.

That’s specifically why I wish there was a way for Anet to differentiate the reasons why people DC. no need to punish those who lag due to ISP, GPU, server issues, etc.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

I know MM is not great.

But you can still do a lot even with bad teammates. You still improve by playing despite terrible teammates. Actually you improve more with bad teammates. Every one has his carry limit, trying your best even in difficult situations help you raise that limit.

If the weaker side just give up every time, we may as well not have competition at all. Why not just determine the winner by MMR at the start of the game by your logic?

There is no reason to go afk.

You are right. You should not go afk. It is just sometimes you are not in a mood to keep trying.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

• Disconnects, game window closes, afk’s can be determined by the client.
  • The main cause of the quitters problem isn’t the players.
  • Anet probably doesn’t care enough / doesn’t have the resources.
  • Repeated failures and changes to pvp have scared away many players.

That’s my observation.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

GW2 historically has had more quitters and afkers, or at least it is relative to our low population compared to any other game. This could be a conformation bias, but clearly no one is alone in this issue for how frequent it is discussed.

Dota/Mobas being the closest thing for one team member rage quitting, and yet people still experience significantly less quitters there, compared to how often people are willing to ditch games here.

The problem I see is in disheartened individuals with “little” option for individual skill based come back, and blind devotion to a meta that promotes low risk-high reward cycling sumo matches that no one wants to watch despite A-nets esports ad campaign, sprinkled with players who are outwardly toxic to friend and foe alike.

Unless we change the aspects of the core game to make it more punishing to the type of play we have now, we will ALWAYS come back to this, and a large chunk of players will justify quitting.

I again don’t think anyone should quit since every experience in combat you have is beneficial, but I’m not surprised this is a rampant issue.

Well the thing is in other Competitive Skill based PvP games like MOBAs and such. There is these two things called hyper-carrying, and carrying because 1 player in those skilled based game can have a huge impact on a match depending on his/her skill level vs the enemy team’s players skill level.

GW2’s version of Conquest is not primarly a skill based version of sPvP. It’s a Social based version of sPvP. This means the players with the best communication will more then likely win most of there matches against teams of randoms with that one ALPHA player. And there is not a thing that one player can do about a match just based on the 3 point capture design, which in my opinion have no place in a non FPS competitive environment. More so in a MMO with PvP as it’s side project.

Basically in GW2 if you have sup par teammates going against another sub par team that has comms. There is little to nothing you can do because, while you are the king of your point, your other team mates can not hold another point. So the enemy team win regardless of how good of a player you are. Other skilled based sPvP games MOBAs “Just One ALPHA” player on your team can turn defeat into victory by hyper-carrying their team to victory.

At this point at lease in my personally case, till Season 5 starts. The only thing that has a chance at getting me into a GW2 sPvP match is custom matches, and if guild mates really hardcore ask me to join for a match or two. Other then that I go play the actually fun and competitive games that are on the market. The ones where player skill matters and the MM is not just trash handing out victories and defeat before the match even starts.

That is why people who plays other sPvP games and MOBAs experiences this problem more so in GW2 even with it’s lower PvP population. Then in those huge populated sPvP games MOBAs. ANet just has a sPvP system that was doomed to fail from the start in a MMO even in a MOBA this system 3 point capture and hold system would fail completely. It’s a system that imho only shooters and P2W games can get away with.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

Too many quitters

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Quitting is the same as match fixing and ought to be punished as such. There is no justification for throwing your team under the bus.

And I’m sorry but none of the quitting I see is even occurring in blow out matches. It’s people quitting just because they lost the first teamfight. Or because they arbitrarily decided that they don’t like one of the pugs.

YouTube

Too many quitters

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Well the thing is in other Competitive Skill based PvP games like MOBAs and such. There is these two things called hyper-carrying, and carrying because 1 player in those skilled based game can have a huge impact on a match depending on his/her skill level vs the enemy team’s players skill level.

GW2’s version of Conquest is not primarly a skill based version of sPvP. It’s a Social based version of sPvP. This means the players with the best communication will more then likely win most of there matches against teams of randoms with that one ALPHA player. And there is not a thing that one player can do about a match just based on the 3 point capture design, which in my opinion have no place in a non FPS competitive environment. More so in a MMO with PvP as it’s side project.

Basically in GW2 if you have sup par teammates going against another sub par team that has comms. There is little to nothing you can do because, while you are the king of your point, your other team mates can not hold another point. So the enemy team win regardless of how good of a player you are. Other skilled based sPvP games MOBAs “Just One ALPHA” player on your team can turn defeat into victory by hyper-carrying their team to victory.

At this point at lease in my personally case, till Season 5 starts. The only thing that has a chance at getting me into a GW2 sPvP match is custom matches, and if guild mates really hardcore ask me to join for a match or two. Other then that I go play the actually fun and competitive games that are on the market. The ones where player skill matters and the MM is not just trash handing out victories and defeat before the match even starts.

That is why people who plays other sPvP games and MOBAs experiences this problem more so in GW2 even with it’s lower PvP population. Then in those huge populated sPvP games MOBAs. ANet just has a sPvP system that was doomed to fail from the start in a MMO even in a MOBA this system 3 point capture and hold system would fail completely. It’s a system that imho only shooters and P2W games can get away with.

While bashing Anet is always in the vogue, you’re premise is entirely wrong.

GW2 allows “hyper-carrying” and is much easier to do here than in a Moba because we don’t have that lane crap and GW2 has a much more complex combat system than your typical 4-5 button MOBA. The whole “gw2 isn’t skill based” argument is coming from players that don’t play at a high enough level to be able to identify skill.

Also this community’s habit of blaming the pugs needs to stop. You don’t know what information was on that pug’s screen and you don’t know what other external factors that player was dealing with.
A player can look like a pro or a imbecile depending on what moment you catch them in.

YouTube

Too many quitters

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

While bashing Anet is always in the vogue, you’re premise is entirely wrong.

GW2 allows “hyper-carrying” and is much easier to do here than in a Moba because we don’t have that lane crap and GW2 has a much more complex combat system than your typical 4-5 button MOBA. The whole “gw2 isn’t skill based” argument is coming from players that don’t play at a high enough level to be able to identify skill.

Also this community’s habit of blaming the pugs needs to stop. You don’t know what information was on that pug’s screen and you don’t know what other external factors that player was dealing with.
A player can look like a pro or a imbecile depending on what moment you catch them in.

One player can not hyper carry in GW2 just because of the (Three point Kill of the Hill version of Conquest) ANet has adapted for GW2. You can hold 3 people at one point but if you have team mates who are either hardcountered or just bad you will lose, there is no argument to be had about this in GW2.

However in games like Smite because of the way it’s game modes are. I have hyper carried and got hyper carried against by ONE PLAYER with extreme skills compared to the rest of the players. In GW2 at most you can hyper carry %50 of the win for your team mates while they have to cap one more point or all of your effort and skill is completely wasted by default. Unless you can be a two places at one single time there is no such thing as hyper carrying in GW2. The most you can ever hope for by outplaying the enemy team to perfection is %50 match contribution.(Social Based)

Games like Smite and such. If me or one of the enemy players completely out plays the other team players either one of us can hyper carry about of newbros, and newsis to a win. Because we don’t have to be a multiple places at one time to win just have to focus on objectives, and let your teammates know via the VCS to play defensively and don’t feed, till the point you are powerful enoth to wipe the enemy team and bully them into the transition from being the underdog to being a big snowball for the win.(Skill-Based)

Again I will say it again one person can carry but not hyper carry in GW2 no matter how good they are. Players see this and start seeing a trend of situations where at that point the game is actually decided, so they just stop playing and sit at home or my personal favor turn on some Netflix on the 2nd monitor and auto run, respawn and repeat. After all you get no extra rewards or badges in GW2 for being a VIP that lost that match.

But at least I admit it!

(edited by Reaper Alim.4176)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Prince Vingador.8067

Prince Vingador.8067

Seems like almost every game nowadays has people either Dc’ing or afk’ing within the first minute, often time multiple people.

What gives? I’ve never seen it this bad before. Why are people so salty nowadays?

Also can we get better quitting penalties?

Salty?
There must be a reason no?
I can tell u in my last 10 games or so , i had 3 of them starting 4v5, yes thats right , game starts 4v5, its great, then next few games u get players dying every 30 seconds or so, others afk close, when u can look at the mini map and see all their 5 players are mid , but for some reason i look at the map and 1 of my team mates is afk close THEN, when we lose mid THEN he goes mid alone and insta dies, others double capp , others leave mid to go +1 a 2v1 close, means by the time he arrives close there are 3 of us close and we just lost mid……….
So yes its impossible not to rage or quit, because a normal player looks at this mess and loses all the will to play.
Anet cant put 10 players of equal mmr together, and this is what happens.
A huge gap in skill play.
Most games are decided in the first 2 minutes even, u look at the map and u see all your team mates die at the same time and no one even uses the targeting system.
How can we blame some one for quiting, when he knows there is no way he can win?
So lets blame the one player that as some sense and doesnt want to keep feeding?
I wish some one at anet would stream his games, so they could understand why players rage or quit and etc, etc

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Again I will say it again one person can carry but not hyper carry in GW2 no matter how good they are. Players see this and start seeing a trend of situations where at that point the game is actually decided, so they just stop playing and sit at home or my personal favor turn on some Netflix on the 2nd monitor and auto run, respawn and repeat. After all you get no extra rewards or badges in GW2 for being a VIP that lost that match.

I dont know about that … ppl havent tried the Coliseum map ….
With the removal of most Defensive Amulets
+ HoT/nonhot can do enormous ammount of damage
+ the introduction of Coliseum map (2 buffs that gives+20% damage increase/ 5k hp to all your team and by beeing helped by them to kill 7 players you ‘’clap clap to the crowd ’’ giving your team +50 points (max 500) with no cd
+the first buff giving you a ranged execute , which essentialy eliminate the downstate , like most ppl in the past have asked
+ the removal of 1 sec invulubility/remove of all conditions , when you go in downstate
+ a teamfight 3v3 or 4v4 , lasts for 10-15 sec by focusing a single player at a time
…..
What other thing does ppl need to hyper carry then ?

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

When you find yourself 100+ points behind the other team, what’s the point? Comebacks are far too few to be worth the trouble of going for, especially if you’re stuck with an unorganized or incompetent team, and thus your own skill means next to nothing in the long run.

You want less quitters? Try finding a way to keep teams going and motivated. My opinion and all, but harsher penalties sounds like a great way to make PvP even worse than it already is.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Reaper Alim.4176

When you find yourself 100+ points behind the other team, what’s the point? Comebacks are far too few to be worth the trouble of going for, especially if you’re stuck with an unorganized or incompetent team, and thus your own skill means next to nothing in the long run.

You want less quitters? Try finding a way to keep teams going and motivated. My opinion and all, but harsher penalties sounds like a great way to make PvP even worse than it already is.

Depends if your team is only down by 100 that’s worth playing in my books. Now if you have team mates that act like potatoes and yall are down by 200 or more points, then I personally can agree there is no point to going farther and prolonging the inevitable loss.

Don’t get me wrong in competitive games I find my self on the losing end of matches as well. But at lease in those games I can find ways to improve to the point I can learn to again hyper-carry in those situations. GW2 allows for amazing players to solo carry team but not hyper carry. This is what led me to such heart ache in GW2’s sPvP. To the point you might catch me in a unranked or ranked GW2 PvP match once in a blue moon. All because at a %100 personal dominance all I can hope for is my skill to make up %50 of the win for my team. Meaning in this game it’s my team’s skill that worth anything not mines. So when I see the team can’t even stay alive for more then 20 secs. Yup I go do other things while the match finishes instead of continuing to feed the enemy team. Because after all this is a Team/Social based game, right?

But at least I admit it!

Too many quitters

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Don’t get me wrong in competitive games I find my self on the losing end of matches as well. But at lease in those games I can find ways to improve to the point I can learn to again hyper-carry in those situations. GW2 allows for amazing players to solo carry team but not hyper carry. This is what led me to such heart ache in GW2’s sPvP. To the point you might catch me in a unranked or ranked GW2 PvP match once in a blue moon. All because at a %100 personal dominance all I can hope for is my skill to make up %50 of the win for my team. Meaning in this game it’s my team’s skill that worth anything not mines. So when I see the team can’t even stay alive for more then 20 secs. Yup I go do other things while the match finishes instead of continuing to feed the enemy team. Because after all this is a Team/Social based game, right?

So basically you are assuming because you can’t “hyper-carry” then “hyper-carrying” therefore is impossible. You entire account testifies more to your ego than to your argument.

If we must delve into anecdotes I can think of many occasions of a single player carrying a team. A d/d ele I encountered some time ago who essentially solo-carried teamfights. Skilled thieves that get all the +1s on time while managing backcaps. A godly power Mesmer that basically killed everything he looked at. Skilled revs that shut down teamfights while easily keeping themselves up under fire.

YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

Quitters are pathetic. Unfortunately, that goes for Anet too.

They hardly do anything to discourage quitters…PLUS…they routinely QUIT on any map that isn’t land based CTF.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

They hardly do anything to discourage quitters…PLUS…they routinely QUIT on any map that isn’t land based CTF.

Sorry to tell u but u are wrong…
Just had a game that mid game 1 guy left , so we were 4v5 , we all kept playing , but when the score vot 400-200 with no caps for us , then yes i stoped.
And i got this guy in my team saying in map chat" report the necro hes afk"
Really? Some players just cant see the game is lost at all.
U cant blame players for resgning a lost game.

By the way , next time my opponent resigns in chess, i will tell him his pathetic.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

In Chess, it’s a sign of good sportsmanship to extend the hand and recognize you are in an unwinnable position. It’s Déclassé to force a game to play out when a side has clearly won.

Sportsmanship really isn’t a prominent feature in GW2 pvp, sadly. If it were, I suspect we’d have a larger population.

Mesmerising Girl

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Soothsayer.9206

Soothsayer.9206

Sorry to tell u but u are wrong…
Just had a game that mid game 1 guy left , so we were 4v5 , we all kept playing , but when the score vot 400-200 with no caps for us , then yes i stoped.
And i got this guy in my team saying in map chat" report the necro hes afk"
Really? Some players just cant see the game is lost at all.
U cant blame players for resgning a lost game.

By the way , next time my opponent resigns in chess, i will tell him his pathetic.

I agree with SPESHAL.9106 about quitters. Playing competitive sports almost my entire life, I have never personally forfeited, resigned, or quit and many times played through injury and pain. Neither has anyone, that I can remember, on any team I have ever played on, no matter how badly things were going, ever quit – they played like a true competitor until the end.

Furthermore, a true competitor is also a good sport. If I, or the team I am on loses, we walk out at the end and give the opposition what is due to them for their victory – true and good sportsmanship as competitors. I have never seen so many people, who claim to be competitors, give up so easily, readily, and at every little whim. The nature of competition means sometimes, things go badly, even very badly but it doesn’t mean you get to “bail out.”

Worst case scenario, sticking it out until the end of a losing competition, is that you might actually learn something or help someone in order to improve yourself and the community. Playing on some really horrible teams can teach you a lot, but it also gives you an opportunity (if you are the stronger player) to instruct others on how to improve, which the spvp community desperately needs more of (topic of another post perhaps). Are we so weak willed as competitive players that we have become entirely insecure, entitled, impatient, and narcissistic to the point that we cannot act like and help others build a community of real competitors? The end result would be building teams and a community whereby we can all enjoy the game like to play competitively?

Kyrie eleison…Dies irae, dies illa…Quando judex est venturus

(edited by Soothsayer.9206)

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Came back from a 200+ point deficit today. Yes there were some angry people in team chat, but they didn’t quit. Other team was at 430 and didn’t get past 450. Plz try comparing something that is relevant. Chess is not team based. In chess you are 1v1 and can get in a situation where you can kite indefinitely and not lose, but you have 0 chance of winning. If you quit you affect no one else but yourself.

In sPvP you are machining a decision for 4 other people on you team. Please respect the other people on your team and try your best for the time you have in the match. Quitters are losers.

In Chess, it’s a sign of good sportsmanship to extend the hand and recognize you are in an unwinnable position. It’s Déclassé to force a game to play out when a side has clearly won.

Sportsmanship really isn’t a prominent feature in GW2 pvp, sadly. If it were, I suspect we’d have a larger population.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Prince Vingador.8067

Came back from a 200+ point deficit today. Yes there were some angry people in team chat, but they didn’t quit. Other team was at 430 and didn’t get past 450. Plz try comparing something that is relevant. Chess is not team based. In chess you are 1v1 and can get in a situation where you can kite indefinitely and not lose, but you have 0 chance of winning. If you quit you affect no one else but yourself.

In sPvP you are machining a decision for 4 other people on you team. Please respect the other people on your team and try your best for the time you have in the match. Quitters are losers.

Players quit because they cant win, it depends on each person, if u are 4vs5 and 400-200 with no caps like i was last game then its ok to stop.
Dont come here telling me to stick to the end and to endure or im a loser.
I do jiu jitsu professionally and let me tell u, that i broke a few bones for not tapping on time, because i thought i could win and i tried, what happened was that i spend like 6 months or more out of competitions because of that, let me tell u that its not worth it.
If u are lost , and u see u have no chance to win , imo its ok to stop playing.
I play gw2 to have fun, and i dont have fun when my team is just feeding.
About u saying that u dont know of any one in your team quiting , its because there is some contracts that prevent u from just stoping, like in tennis , if u stop for no reason then u lose some perks and on top u just not alowed , even tho some would.
At the end we just talking here and going around in circles, for me and some players that i know , and trust me i know most of the players , since i have almost 30 000 pvp games i can tell u that if there is no chance to win and we get nothing for keep playing, then they just stop.

Too many quitters

in PvP

Posted by: Soothsayer.9206

Soothsayer.9206

Players quit because they cant win, it depends on each person, if u are 4vs5 and 400-200 with no caps like i was last game then its ok to stop.
Dont come here telling me to stick to the end and to endure or im a loser.
I do jiu jitsu professionally and let me tell u, that i broke a few bones for not tapping on time, because i thought i could win and i tried, what happened was that i spend like 6 months or more out of competitions because of that, let me tell u that its not worth it.
If u are lost , and u see u have no chance to win , imo its ok to stop playing.
I play gw2 to have fun, and i dont have fun when my team is just feeding.
About u saying that u dont know of any one in your team quiting , its because there is some contracts that prevent u from just stoping, like in tennis , if u stop for no reason then u lose some perks and on top u just not alowed , even tho some would.
At the end we just talking here and going around in circles, for me and some players that i know , and trust me i know most of the players , since i have almost 30 000 pvp games i can tell u that if there is no chance to win and we get nothing for keep playing, then they just stop.

On the one hand you embody what a competitor is supposed to be in so far that you compete until you cannot, but on the other hand you encourage people to stop playing a game where injury is not even a remote possibility. So then, your analogy breaks down at that point.

Secondly, Jiu Jitsu is a 1v1 competition, there are no others involved. If you go out and give your best effort, win or lose its entirely on you. To many people in GW2 quit at the earliest signs of falling behind, when they quit they effect the outcome for 4 other people who many not share their sentiment. That is why match manipulation is a real concern for so many and legitimizing tanking a video game is so frustrating to so many of us who enjoy GW2 for entertainment and competition.

Again, with respect to Jiu Jitsu, getting your opponent to tap out is one way of winning that competition, so victory is not necessarily on a timer or accomplished in concord with score. Victory by submission is achieved by putting your opponent in a situation whereby there is no other alternative and sometimes as competitors we don’t want or don’t know when to admit we’ve been beaten but it’s not for lack of effort. In GW2, there is no harm done by seeing a match through until time or score has been achieved. In any other major competitive team sport, whether professionally or amateur, you go out until the buzzer, bell, whistle sounds (time has expired) and you have left it all out on the field and that is what makes it fun and competitive.

I’ve been on teams that have been “farmed.” It’s not a good feeling, but I don’t sit there either, I make it a learning experience and try and be a good sport because the other team earned it by being good. Do I, as a competitor, like it? Absolutely not, but its not always about me and in the end I am more resolute not to have that happen again which means I start a process that helps me to grow as a player of my profession and as a human being – sometimes we all need a humble pie.

I just think its a dangerous to approve of quitting spvp because its an entirely subjective process that leads one to quit (e.g. how long do I play, or under what circumstances) and people can, will and do use this to the harm of the broader community.

Kyrie eleison…Dies irae, dies illa…Quando judex est venturus

(edited by Soothsayer.9206)