Too much is targetable!

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Posted by: Sporeo.9430

Sporeo.9430

This goes for everywhere in the game, but in particular where PVP is concerned and particular where TAB targeting is concerned. Why in the world would I target a turret in a TAB rotation? I wouldn’t. Given the choice.. I just wouldn’t. Same deal with Mesmer illusions. Clones should be targetable because they’re meant to confuse you, but illusions should not, in my opinion. It’s not like we need to target either of those to damage them anyway. Same goes with half the pets Necromancers spawn. Basically – Unless the spawn is meant to TAKE DAMAGE for the class, it should NOT be targetable. Damageable – yes. Targetable – no.

Driving me slightly nuts Along with the way targets get reset if you happen to right click on someone else. I mean I stopped using the left click to rotate my camera to avoid the issue, but it doesn’t help because I can still end up accidentally retargeting =[ And on top of that, sometimes I’ll accidentally right click on the gigantic nameplate at the top center of my screen and be stuck with a darn menu in my face. One of these days I’m going to accidentally block a friend with that thing.

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Posted by: Beef.3072

Beef.3072

If i couldnt target a mesmers phantasms i would be prettykitten off, same goes for necro minions and rangers pets. Maybe using tab target as your primary targeting technique is not the best way to go.

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Posted by: Kryank.8069

Kryank.8069

As a Mesmer I wish that people couldn’t target my phantasms, lol 3 invincible idualists lmao then we would really see some forum hate :p

Proud Member of [TaG] Gunnar’s Hold (EU)
http://www.twitch.tv/kryank
http://www.youtube.com/user/minikryank

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Sporeo.9430

If i couldnt target a mesmers phantasms i would be prettykitten off, same goes for necro minions and rangers pets. Maybe using tab target as your primary targeting technique is not the best way to go.

Maybe I’ve got Illusions confused, but half the necro pets die in one to two shots, and are mostly meant to add damage, not absorb it for the necro. They’re generally not my top priority as a direct target – the necro is. And what would you suggest as an alternative? Click targetting? As I said, if they’re supposed to absorb damage (like ranger pets), they should be tab targetable. Otherwise I’m just “kitten” around with area objects and mobs that disappear from weak AOE and overtime anyway. At least where turrets are concerned.. Why are those on the rotation? I mean you find yourself up against an engineer, a mesmer, and a minion necro and you’ve got anywhere from 13-15(?) targets when only 3 of them are players, and only about 7 of them are worth targeting or really should be TAB targetable for their purpose in the game. It’s not anymore easy to click target in a scenario like that, and even just running into two of these setups can be excessive.

It’s not about giving classes a ‘buff’ somehow either – it’s about making it easier to target the things that matter.

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Posted by: Irishbrewed.6537

Irishbrewed.6537

I think the “targeting” meta game can be argued, is another aspect that separates good from the average players. This is not exclusive to GW either. It’s just more so something we will all have to hone better considering the amount of pets and other objects that can cause you to error

Say for example there was an option in the menu that said, “target only players” ! That would be a care bear option and take away some of the “skill” meta in the game.

Tip do not rely on tab targeting. It’ll always let you down. Work on using your mouse to target your enemy. It’s much more accurate.

But all that being said, there is something that allows you to easily lose target. Im not sure what it is, but I’ve had it happen to me. There are several options in the menu like auto target that I’ve turned off, yet occasionally I will still lose target.

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Posted by: Beef.3072

Beef.3072

I guess i can agree with the turret thing, its not like targeting a turret is in any way desirable atm and is a waste of time. but look at it this way, targeting a turret and then putting damage into it is the MISTAKE that you yourself made, but you still have the option to if you so desired. I dont find clicking on the player in a crowd of around 10 turrets/minions/illusions really that difficult, having the option to target and damage w/e you like should always be there in any game imo.

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Sporeo.9430

Say for example there was an option in the menu that said, “target only players” ! That would be a care bear option and take away some of the “skill” meta in the game.

Tip do not rely on tab targeting. It’ll always let you down. Work on using your mouse to target your enemy. It’s much more accurate.

But all that being said, there is something that allows you to easily lose target. Im not sure what it is, but I’ve had it happen to me. There are several options in the menu like auto target that I’ve turned off, yet occasionally I will still lose target.

And a ‘care bear’ option is not what I want. I’m not trying to argue this because I just want it to be easy, but it definitely should be easier to target what you want, and to stay on that target. I don’t really understand why there’s a separate keybinding for ‘closest target’ either.

As for losing your target: If you camera turn with left click, you will constantly lose target simply by clicking anywhere in the UI. If you camera turn with right click, you will lose your target by right clicking on another mob. I said it in the beta and I’ll be redundantly repeatative – targeting is just too loose.

Anyway, in every other game I’ve played, tab targeting has always just worked. I definitely do have issues with targeting people by clicking on them in GW2 when it’s just a cluster of all the pets and whatnot. Take for example this scenario [see pic]. You’d think by clicking on Kystom’s nameplate, I’d target him, right? Nope, I target Groullock. And at just the ‘right’ angle, I’d actually target the PVP locker behind Groullock instead of him. I can be hovering perfectly over the letters in either of their names, but nope, it’s going to take the body target over that. In a PVP environment, it tends to be easier to go for a nameplate than the actual character themself when click targeting in one of those ‘cluster’ fights, but that’s not even predictably possible in GW2.

To me this is just a lack of intuitiveness, not a matter of making things easy.

Attachments:

(edited by Sporeo.9430)

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Posted by: Elshagan.6342

Elshagan.6342

First of Illusions are divided in two subcategories. Clones and Phantasms.

Clones: Looks exactly like the caster just dumber (AI don’t dodge or move like a madman)

Phantasms: Purplish ghost of the caster but with specialized weapon attacks. (Dualist uses dual guns and is a pistol offhand skill)

Also targeting things you don’t want to… Part of the game at cause….

1: Necro Pets are meant to both take damage and deal damage they’re not something you should ignore if it’s a Minion Master cause than you might as well just roll around and play dead.

2: Ranger pets meant to take damage? No, no and no. They’re just like the Necro pets meant to mostly deal damage but capable of taking damage as well.

3: Mesmer illusions are their damage if built for it. Clones for shattering and Phantasms for “Burst”. Depending on the Mesmer killing either even if it’s by accident is a good idea.

4: Turrets, they’re meant to kill you. Trying to kill you, in my Turret focused build they do quite a lot of the damage for me while I try and survive. Downing me won’t kill the turrets, I’ve seen people die and me rally cause they figured getting me downed is smarter.

So yeah it’s just something that needs to be trained after a while you’ll be able to tab target between all those targets an instantly be able to recognize what’s a “human” target and what’s something you’d rather not attack.

Ezrael Curzeblood: 80 Necro
Januk Monkeydoodle: 80 Engi
Knowledge is your friend: 1 of every class for sPvP except Ele.

Too much is targetable!

in PvP

Posted by: Irishbrewed.6537

Irishbrewed.6537

And a ‘care bear’ option is not what I want. I’m not trying to argue this because I just want it to be easy, but it definitely should be easier to target what you want, and to stay on that target. I don’t really understand why there’s a separate keybinding for ‘closest target’ either.

As for losing your target: If you camera turn with left click, you will constantly lose target simply by clicking anywhere in the UI. If you camera turn with right click, you will lose your target by right clicking on another mob. I said it in the beta and I’ll be redundantly repeatative – targeting is just too loose.

Anyway, in every other game I’ve played, tab targeting has always just worked. I definitely do have issues with targeting people by clicking on them in GW2 when it’s just a cluster of all the pets and whatnot. Take for example this scenario [see pic]. You’d think by clicking on Kystom’s nameplate, I’d target him, right? Nope, I target Groullock. And at just the ‘right’ angle, I’d actually target the PVP locker behind Groullock instead of him. I can be hovering perfectly over the letters in either of their names, but nope, it’s going to take the body target over that. In a PVP environment, it tends to be easier to go for a nameplate than the actual character themself when click targeting in one of those ‘cluster’ fights, but that’s not even predictably possible in GW2.

To me this is just a lack of intuitiveness, not a matter of making things easy.

Okay I think I’m following you now, this is very similar to what I posted awhile back. As far as the right click goes YES THEY SHOULD REMOVE THE RIGHT CLICK TARGET SWITCH ON MOUSE! (I caps because I hope someone at Anet sees it again ) I am okay with the multiple “pets” but the ability to lock on once targeting should be much more “sticky” then it currently is. I know that clicking your target is tough in a cluster but it’s doable ATM. It could be tightened up tho, and I agree with you there. I just don’t want targeting to be as simple as “target next player” , as you said you don’t either.

But yes the right click should just control camera and nothing more!