Top 5 Reasons GW2 SPVP is a massive fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Aldizi.5671

Aldizi.5671

This is only talking about SPVP

1) They don’t care about it.

2) They’ve spent 1 1/2 years balancing the game and they have gotten no where with balance LOL. Most serious pvpers believe the game was more balanced at the release.

3) The community is terrible. The feedback you all provide have them running in circles. and players with more experience in general go unnoticed because they aren’t pod casting(streaming) bullkitten all day.

4) No business model for SPVP. Thus no real effort is ever allotted ( Lets get real guys something has to pay the bills if we want to experience continued support )

5) NO PTR… We are the PTR this by far is the number one reason why this game has not been fixed properly.

Top 5 Ways they can make massive improvements to the game (SPVP).

1) Rewards this is number one. I’m not talking about gold either any real pvpers wants him or his team to be know as the best. REAL Ranking systems with titles.

2) Merge Solo que and Team que into competitive Que. Where you have a seen rank not just a time played rank a rank that fluctuates up and down depending on how well you do in ques. I’m going to break this down. for you . Player “A” struts a Private Rank Player “B” struts a Private 1 Star Rank Both players que they get matched up against each other player “A” wins he maybe goes up a rank Player “A” goes up a rank and he like wow i want to be know as the best GW2 player Alive so Player entices his buddies to create a team His team is filled with Private 1 Star players so at first they get matched up against pugs which they slaughter and get his team feeling good but then he proceeds to the General Ranks where kitten gets real and Player “a” is like o kitten theirs only other teams playing at this rank. Might not be so wise to got go que solo from here on out i’m gonna form strats with my team so i can be “5 star general rank” Which basically tells the world im a fugging bad kitten and now gives that player access to the 5 star general armory locker of unique weapon skins with amazing effects only acquired in pvp and can be ported over to pve as well. The same way pvers should be able to port over Legendary weapon skins as well.

3) Stop Balancing THE GAME!!!! STOP! FOR A MINUTE!! Focus on structure patches as mentioned above Then add a PTR (Public Test realms) with planned changes. With its own feed back forums Take my word most kittens dont take the time to join PTRS and evalute it so the feedback you’ll get from the players who go out of there way to improve the game will be much more valuable.

4) Add a Business Model How many millions do you guys make when you release a quaggan back pack. I know you tried it with custom arenas that’s not bad start but the game sucks kitten right now and no one wants to even setup another tourney. So we need something else. Display Rank Favicons Like the WVW commander one? ? !? or maybe PVE Weapon to pvp transmutation rocks…. Custom Team Ta bards or backpacks…

5) Actually Care about this amazing combat and potentially amazing competitive game you guys created. I wanna start playing again but SPVP needs a major overhaul

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

+1 phaeton. inb4 mods come at me.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: leungctm.1362

leungctm.1362

I can’t agree more. after a year of pvping, I finally had enough and found the current game mode extremly boring. I main guardian, and I have also played through every class . and now I just can’t get any thing out from gw2 anymore

Top 50 NA Tpvp Guardian (Rizzylard)
Best Mercenary Guardian you can find to fill your last slot.
Keep Calm and PVP Hard.

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Respectfully, I disagree with all but one of your points, Aldizi.

1. They do care about the success of PvP. As a smallish company, their resources are limited, but it seems that they have been growing their staff over time. The launch of their biweekly stream shows their growing efforts to make pvp a priority. I think 2014 will be a good year for us.
  2. Balance has progressed, and is getting close to being in a good spot. Anyone who says that balance was better on release is looking through rose-tinted glasses, and that’s just a simple fact. D/D thief instant gibs, time warp lich forms, lack of viable condi comps, immortal bunker eles, block bug guardians, and one spec warriors are all a thing of the past.
  3. The communication is getting a lot better, from what I see. The last Ready Up is a good example of that. I may not agree with every last thing they implement, but I do see more and more feedback being listened to with their changes, and with Grouch in place, I expect that is only going to increase over time.
  4. Kinda agree here, but I think they are already working at this. More unlocks are going to be added, which is part of their future business model plans, I believe.
  5. Ok, I can’t argue with this point. A PTR would be amazing for testing and feedback purposes.
Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

1. They do care about the success of PvP. As a smallish company, their resources are limited, but it seems that they have been growing their staff over time. The launch of their biweekly stream shows their growing efforts to make pvp a priority. I think 2014 will be a good year for us.
  2. Balance has progressed, and is getting close to being in a good spot. Anyone who says that balance was better on release is looking through rose-tinted glasses, and that’s just a simple fact. D/D thief instant gibs, time warp lich forms, lack of viable condi comps, immortal bunker eles, block bug guardians, and one spec warriors are all a thing of the past.
  3. The communication is getting a lot better, from what I see. The last Ready Up is a good example of that. I may not agree with every last thing they implement, but I do see more and more feedback being listened to with their changes, and with Grouch in place, I expect that is only going to increase over time.
  4. Kinda agree here, but I think they are already working at this. More unlocks are going to be added, which is part of their future business model plans, I believe.
  5. Ok, I can’t argue with this point. A PTR would be amazing for testing and feedback purposes.

They care but haven’t been able to do anything notable to help (which is effectively the same as not caring)

Balance has progressed.
Gameplay has stayed the same, a few improvements a few bad calls, nothing crazy has happened here.
GW2’s gameplay was bad around beta.
GW2’s gameplay hasn’t improved by much after a year and a half of tweaking…

That’s REALLY BAD.

They post more on the forums, sure.
The whole reason for ‘we want more communication’ is to make patches better.
The patches aren’t any better.

As a AAA MMO with no concept of ‘how we are going to make money’ it kind of makes you wonder how well these guys think things through.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

But ken they do have alpha testers, so it’s kinda half way there on that one

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

I wouldnt call the “balance patches” that name, because balance is a small movement in stats or effects to just tone things up or down a little.

ANet likes to remove and add whole new affects, conditions, skills, remove some, change trait lines, change the way damage is done so it effects all builds, changing the style each class is meant to play (what do they want mesmers to play like?! they buff one way they nerf it back, its like they dont know what they want the class to do).

Some sort of area of general finished classes would be nice, not this see saw “balancing” thats going on, no one knows what class will be destroyed and what will all of a sudden become op.

No new game modes has been an issue as well. No new modes, but thankful some PVE gear to grind (which ended up being broken and now they have to scale back damage across to board to account for the things they did that no one wanted them to do…..HMMMMMM)

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

the only one i agree with is #5 – no PTR. this has been a HUGE setback. inhouse testers are obviously missing a lot of things, or devs arent listening to them.

with the exception of hambows and petting zoo/MM, there is actually a nice variety of builds in spvp. tuesday’s patch will bring eles back for sure.

theyve announced new modes, imo this will explode spvp if DM is implemented well.

in PvP

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Indeed stop balancing the bloody game for a while and focus on something else, also the players claiming that some classes are already balanced and they don’t to many changes

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Lol @ PTR. Any feedback from that would more than likely be ignored.
Frequency is their problem.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

GW2 sPvP is far from a “massive fail”. GW2 being as popular as Starcraft and LoL within months of release was wishful thinking.

1. They do care. A few things factor into perception though. First, fixing wider issues in the game and getting organized for the “sustain” phase of an MMO took priority for the first ~8 months. And that’s not abnormal for a large MMORPG. Second, their initial ideas for sPvP progression and organized competition didn’t work out the way they had planned. Now that things have settled down, I think they’re working on a good path.

2. This is blatantly wrong and shows you don’t understand balance. When a game is new with new mechanics (active defense), everyone sucks at the game, no matter how good they seem at the time. Players of all skill levels are still learning mechanics, what works, what doesn’t, and that’s constantly evolving. Trying to finely balance in such an environment is difficult and often counter-productive. You can only effectively stop the very broken mechanics. I will agree that not having a PvP-focused balance team last summer was a huge mistake, but that seems to have been corrected. I’d say they’re only about 6 months behind where they could have realistically been on balance.

3. The community in this game is no worse than others and a lot better than some. Posts like this don’t help. The problem with feedback from the community and from top players is that it’s often biased by vocal players about what they lose to. Not necessarily what is wrong. Forum posts also tend toward “make this change” rather than a more open “this class in this scenario seems too good. here’s why”. The former would often end up gutting an entire professions than fixing a problem where a different tweak would be a better remedy.

4. Yet again, uneducated posting. PvP and PvE are different models. To maintain business in PvE, you need content, and lots of it. A lot of the ANet employees are developing PvE content. These are totally different people from those that work on game mechanics, balance, etc. Since PvP doesn’t need much content development, it doesn’t cost as much. People that play sPvP a lot still buy custom arenas, gem shop skins, etc, so they do earn income from PvP.

5. I disagree with the need for a Public Test Realm. The PTR is generally used for bug testing, and not balance. We just need information ahead of time so that we can influence balance. What they did on the Friday webcast was very good. It informs the community about what is being changed and why. And they’ve already received feedback and may undo or tweak some changes as a result (mesmer dodge clones). I would like to see a more comprehensive list of changes about a month before they’re live.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

They failed because they stated that they want to make GW2 tPvP an eSport. They however did not have the resources or the intents to push this to become anything that remotely resembles a competitive online game. Stop playing GW2 as if it was competitive and accept it being just a fun and nice looking game. If they wanted to push this as an eSport they should’ve done so at the start by organising high prize pool tournaments to attract actual PvP players and sponsors. Why would anyone pick up a game now – after over a year – that has not changed fundamentally even after thousands of hours worth of player feedback.

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

in PvP

Posted by: Quincy.2198

Quincy.2198

6) About ten or more threads about this a day.
It won’t change if everyone starts to complain, try to enjoy the game at the point it’s good at.

Ninov Is Strng
Ninov Ftw

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Dis is getting old.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Balance is not so bad. I played Daoc for many years and the balance was never close to GW2. We are 5-6% away from real good balance. I like the ready up ideas.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

There is really only 1 reason why pvp is a fail, and that is because they designed pve first then tacked on pvp. Many apologetics and devs make reassuring noises that this game takes pvp seriously, but the foundation was laid very badly. The removal of team dependence, the removal of healers, the removal of energy/interrupts/positioning are negatives for pvp. The pve game plays like an FPS which I’m sure many people feel is refreshing, but the pvp devolves into a chaotic clusterkitten. I think we are mostly stuck with node-based pvp gameplay, because there is no other way to justify guardian profession when other classes deal more damage and move much easier.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

+1 phaeton. inb4 mods come at me.

Took them 20 hours, they probably just agreed…

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

This is so much simpler.

The game attracted far more causal players than hardcore.
The player v player mode that attracted the most attention was WvW because it was a bit more casual friendly and community building oriented.
Casuals feel more comfortable in a large group situation for pvp then the fast fight style of spvp.

Think about it. The game really got quite a number more PvErs than expected.

The rise of the casual player is a wonderful thing for ANet given how Gem Stores work. They work better on aspects of the game that require gear or with players who enjoy appearance/crafting etc. So, only a foolish company wouldn’t try to increase the casual base with this monetization model.

What started as the primary purpose of the game changed because the player base chose other aspects as more important. Like most MMOs, the majority of players are far more casual than most companies expect. And they are getting more casual versus more serious. FPS are about all that attracts hardcore really anymore.

This led to there being far fewer numbers in pvp. And when you have fewer customers in on aisle than the next (especially if that larger number is also in a more profitable aisle), what SHOULD you do?

The key is that PvP can be a good CASUAL diversion during downtime. It is unique and it takes very little commitment of time or energy done right. It is the fast fix mode for a casual player done right.

The key fix is to make pvp far more enjoyable and integrated to the casual player.
You need to start to improve pvp by improving the number of people who pvp and the frequency. This begins with rewards that are totally unlike what the OP is proposing. The casual cares little about being ranked. They will join pvp initially because it gives something shiny or powerful to their main type of play (PvE or WvW).
Embrace that.

Now to not enrage those reading this. The casual player becomes more competitive in pvp the more they pvp. That is true in all games. As you get better and comfortable, you too want to win.

But the key is win for what purpose? For the joy of competitive play? That won’t happen for most players. Just saying. The reward of competition has to go back to their more casual playstyle and main focus.

If you could get dragonite ore or ascended weapon/armor materials faster in pvp than pve, you would see a flood of new people. You have to get them to play to get them hooked or make them want to progress to competitive play.

Then you just have to make it fun. Too often, pvp even in a hot join is way too serious for a casual player. No one likes to be dominated from day 1. The skill level is unbalanced between hardcore and casual. You can’t really expect randoms to want to play against an organized team. So you break up guild members except in tournaments. You shouldn’t face 3 guildies in an 8v8 when you are just hot joining as an individual.

Don’t let players join as a team in hot join. Make it really random and people will feel much better about it. Ok if you have a rank 60 against you if you have a couple rank 40s with you.

Use tournaments for hard core players but create a reason for hard core players to want to hot join and introduce people. I think one of the most important features would be a pvp commander tag. That would help causal joiners know who is leading the team OR create the leader tag for free based on who is the highest rank.

Create more communication. That will help the casual stick in pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I also disagree with most of the points.

1. A far-fetched claim considering how much time the devs spend posting in the PvP forum compared to other forums.
2. Balance was worse at launch. It was a strange mixture of crippling bugs combined with OP skills/traits.
3. The community’s not great but it’s above average.
4. This one I do somewhat agree with.
5. This one would be nice but they’ve stated multiple times that it would be extremely impractical. We can’t expect them to build a great business model one day and then blow a ton of resources the next.

As for the solutions:
1. Okay, rewards, cool. That’s important to people.
2. Your actual reason for combining queues is so that premades can slaughter pugs? Is this a real suggestion?
3. Stop balancing?
4. Sure, it would be great to see PvP get more development resources due to bringing home more bacon. Mmm, bacon.
5. They already do.

The more suggestion threads I see the more I appreciate the devs.

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Better rewards, more game modes and the like all add up to make the game more satisfying or addicting.

But ultimately, GW2 needs fixing in some of its core mechanics, and most of it is linked to the lack of risk vs reward, skillful playing or counter-play behind some key skills, traits or other effects. When we look at the biggest problems with GW2’s combat, we’ll notice that there is an excess of everything: too much aoe, too many pets, too many passive procs, etc. Although a traditional energy system would help out to give more weight to skill usage and set up the pace of combat a little better, by not having one, something has to compensate for it, and cooldowns are not enough. Thus why telegraphed attacks, counter-play, risky skills and the like should exist more often.

GW2’s pvp will be taken a lot more seriously once the core problems that lead to skill’s spam are fixed or greatly toned down.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Perhaps the PTR is private and you, like so many others, don’t realize it.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Bombsaway.7198

When PTR is private you get better data BUT you get less of a feeling of ownership in creating a better game with the community. As a result, there is less patience with waiting for patches and improvements. On whole, the consumer scientist in me would argue that inclusiveness in a PTR with a few quiet private events for data collection will create a sense that we are together trying to improve the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Shinoobi.1259

Shinoobi.1259

Bad advertising for tournaments(an in game mail with a twitch.tv link or some way to people to spectate tournaments in game with a VIP pass), bad rewards for tournaments(it’s better now), commentators not being very knowledgeable about the game, and an unexciting game mode is what is holding it back as a more popular esports, in my opinion.

So Butter So Fly – Mesmer
Bossy B – Elementalist
Pocket Rot- Necro

in PvP

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

I might go on some glory farm servers, and then queue for loads of arena and simply afk, thus ruining some peoples matches.

Nothing to stop me doing this at all, nothing. ANet would be all over me if I for example found a way to get extra loot or gold or gems. You know, the “really” important stuff. But PVP? nah I can ruin that till my heart is content.

I really wish ANet just came out with the truth instead of the lies they always dribble. Just come out and say "look guys, PVP was just a pipe dream and it makes us no money. We will give it the odd look into but really, it will be mostly ignored just like it has for the past year. So move on to an actuall pvp experience, we are more interested in working on the gem sto….sorry the pve side of things.

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

i wish this small but noisy drama crowd would find some backwards mmo to get drawn in tears and let rest of us enjoy our fav game.

in PvP

Posted by: zilcho.7624

zilcho.7624

The biggest problem with this game’s PvP has nothing to do with balance or a lack of support or anything else. All of those things are issues, but they don’t even matter because GW2 misses the mark on the fundamentals.

If you want your game to have interesting, competitive PvP then you need healthy, sophisticated rating and matchmaking systems. If you’re missing one, you are in trouble. If you are missing both, you are doomed before you even start.

Matchmaking does not work. End of story. Maybe it does fine at peak hours, when there is an excess of players. But 12AM-8PM, the queues are literally unplayable. I must lose 90% of my games during off-peak hours. But sure enough, at 8PM I start winning 50% of the time.

As for the rating system, I would talk about it… but it doesn’t exist. We have a leaderboard just begging for abuse because of matchmaking. On my server/region, I lose 90% of the time during off-peak hours. But on the other side of that coin, in the right server/region, you can win 90% of the time during off-peak hours.

Even if matchmaking worked, the leaderboard is still not a real rating system. This game should have a honest, open ELO system. Either implement it via hidden ratings and visible leagues. Or go the WoW route and expose the ELO system to players. Either way, if you want to have competitive PvP you need real ratings.

Fix both those issues, and then we can talk about this game’s other problems.

in PvP

Posted by: zilcho.7624

zilcho.7624

TL;DR – Their first impression was horrible and therefore this game is hopeless for the rest of its’ life; it will never get better because there will never be enough players.

That’s not true at all. I agree that, as far as PvP goes, the launch was a miserable failure. But GW2 has a solid foundation. None of the problems are beyond repair.

They could bring all the hardcore PvP crowd back with an intelligent, exciting change. Basing their ratings system on Win Probability Added would be my dream.

If they made a change like that, and build on it with some massive balance fixes, they would be in a great spot. (And when I say “massive”, I mean 4-5 times more than what they are doing in the next patch. This game needs to wipe everything clean and start from scratch.)

in PvP

garethh.3518

That’s not true at all. I agree that, as far as PvP goes, the launch was a miserable failure. But GW2 has a solid foundation. None of the problems are beyond repair.

They could bring all the hardcore PvP crowd back with an intelligent, exciting change. Basing their ratings system on Win Probability Added would be my dream.

If they made a change like that, and build on it with some massive balance fixes, they would be in a great spot. (And when I say “massive”, I mean 4-5 times more than what they are doing in the next patch. This game needs to wipe everything clean and start from scratch.)

The game needs more than 1 change.
The game was released half baked, which left it full off issues.
Not an un-savable thing in and of itself, but the devs… they haven’t more than touched on any core issue (condis/tourny setup/rewards/conquest).

With how the game was released, getting it to a healthy, able-to-be-popular state, well that requires constant well thought out fundamental changes.
The devs haven’t done any of that (timely/well thought out/fundamental), so, I mean, sure these guys could turn GW2 around… it’s not literally impossible… but after a year and a half they showed no signs of being capable of it…
Lets put it this way, I wouldn’t bet on these guys with 1:20 odds.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Joe.4178

Joe.4178

+1 I totally agree, this was well thought out and well said. Theres no reward system/ladder/ranking system to have that incentive of improving yourself in this game. You’re not the only one thats losing interest in this game too. $60 usd was well spent but still waiting on another game to come out already.

-tM- Trillmatic
NSP Colorful Charr Engineer & Mesmer: Bamf Joe
WvW Outnumbered: https://www.youtube.com/BamfJoe0425

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

With how the game was released, getting it to a healthy, able-to-be-popular state, well that requires constant well thought out fundamental changes.
The devs haven’t done any of that (timely/well thought out/fundamental), so, I mean, sure these guys could turn GW2 around… it’s not literally impossible… but after a year and a half they showed no signs of being capable of it…

It’ll never happen with Wildstar around the corner believe me. I speak from experience.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Bombsaway.7198

No one cares to comment on the notion that the way in which players enjoy the game turned out to be quite different than ANET expected and they are simply catering to what is now the new core? In short, WvW and PVE draw more people than expected and are much easier to monetize. They draw a broader customer base too.

I love SPVP to be clear, but it is equally clear that despite their best intentions, SPVP never really took hold with the community while other aspects of the game did. In grocery, if the beef doesn’t sell, replace it with chicken.

The best thing for attention for SPVP is the introduction of the game in Asia. New players with new interests.
For the current markets, 1) Do you really think they are selling new boxes to people primarily interested in SPVP now (or is that base saturated)? 2) Do you think the average revenue per SPVP oriented player is at all similar to a PvE or WvW player? (Just look at what is available in the gem store and you can answer that one easily enough).

So, you don’t totally abandon PVP but you certainly focus where the customer is.

The other thing you could do to improve PVP is to clearly have it be part of getting power and gear or progression in the WvW or PvE realm. In other words, the best thing they SHOULD have done is make ascended gear come from SPVP. Of course, you really need to make PvP far more casual friendly to have that happen. But that would be the type of saving grace SPVP needs.

Just my opinions but well educated ones

in PvP

Posted by: Sunt.6835

Sunt.6835

If you want more ppl from outside to get in you need to change a couple things.

Game mode : playing around circle every map is dumb. Some noobs come up with bunker builds ( engi. warrior, guardian ) that do no dmg at all and just trolling around circle. I have more fun fighting npc lmao.
The map needs to be bigger too. 1 warrior’s bow burst covers whole circle = suck

They need to make PvE gears usable in Spvp somehow

i’m r40 spvp and r100+ in wvw. also having every class lv 80 btw

Ps: reward is actually very good right now. Glory = Tomb, some gold. I personally dont care about ranking / leader board

BG

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Out of curiosity, to everyone saying “stop balancing spvp”; what sort of timescale would you expect them to stop balancing on? Do you want them to stop balancing for a few months? Half a year?

I do feel as though people might be getting fatigued on how often these changes are happening though and a PTR would be helpful. Alternatively, some kind of alternate spvp server in which experimental changes happen frequently could be fun; a bit like the Domination/Nemesis league in PoE.

Also on rewards in particular, there do need to be structural changes. EVERYTHING is gated behind Glory. I know that this isn’t supposed to be the case in the long term but still.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

garethh.3518

No one cares to comment on the notion that the way in which players enjoy the game turned out to be quite different than ANET expected and they are simply catering to what is now the new core? In short, WvW and PVE draw more people than expected and are much easier to monetize. They draw a broader customer base too.

I think the word’s you are looking for is “PvP flopped so now they are focusing on PvE/WvW”

The game was wildly popularized as a PvP experience, millions of people bought it before release for PvP…

It isn’t hard to monetize PvP, there are a couple top tier working models out there, it’s not PvP’s fault Anet not only didn’t use any of them… they didn’t use ANY model for monetizing PvP…
(I expected more from a coorporation)

BUT.
From what I hear, Anet is kinda ignoring PvE when it comes to balance, literally everything can be easily beaten by three warriors and two guardians. That and allot of the gameplay mechanics when it comes to PvE, end up being dull.
So I’m not really sure they decided to forsake PvP for other bigger things unless those other and bigger things are the next MMO…

in PvP

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

ANet tried to make a gameplay based on identifying different attacks by their animations and actively reacting to them, more action based than other games where healing/cleansing the results of those attacks (still, just to a lesser extent, in GW2) was the only way to defend oneself.
The idea looks amazing and is probably the main reason for me to be playing this game. This is not, however, the only “innovative” idea ANet tried to bring to MMOs, and they ended overlooking a lot of problems with the combat itself.

The clutter generated by different effects has a huge impact on spotting and identifying those animations. The bigger the fight, the more clutter and the more annoying the system becomes.
This was overlooked in such an obvious way that they even released an overall harder to read player race.

On top of that, low cooldowns, weapon swap, lack of mana/energy, high damaging autoattacks and fast combat pace, all of it together, makes the game incredibly spammy and teamfigts become a mess.

Longer cooldowns or some resource to manage would have made the game a lot more about coordinated spikes that could work or be stopped and counterattacked.
Those spikes still exist in the current gameplay, and that’s great; the problem is that there’s still a lot of deadly short CD stuff on top of them. Even autoattacks can wreck people in this game.
Fights don’t get stale for a brief time. A situation where a team is playing aggresively and the other tries to defend doesn’t happen either. GW2 fights are about both sides trading blows and dangerous stuff happening ALL the time.
The result is fairly decent in a 1v1 situation, where contendants are focused on each other and can somehow track CDs. On teamfights (and not necessarily the biggest ones), however, the average player is completely unable to process what’s going on (not even think on working out an strategy) and starts playing instinctively.
There are too many things happening at any time, and they’re happening too fast

IMHO the game would had need either a resource system / longer CDs on top of quite less deadly autoattacks, so fast paced combat would take place in short bursts, or an overall slower pace for a higher awareness of the ongoing situation.
Currently, the game feels too chaotic, and seems to be lacking A LOT of in-fight strategy until downed control stuff takes place.

The funny thing is … if a 3on3 fight might be enough for the game to become quite a chaos, what should be expected from something like WvW or PvE massive events?
Combat becomes completely passive reliant. There’s just no chance for action combat to work in those enviroments, never was.
Even with that, ANet not only released that gameplay-conflicting content, but also tried to innovate with a shared loot system that encouraged zergs to happen.

The game as a whole is on a weird situation where the action combat style is supposed to drive the overall game balance, but where the majority of the playerbase (and the money) focuses on the most passive content.
Honestly, I have no idea of how they’re supposed to overcome this in the near future.

in PvP

Posted by: Quincy.2198

Quincy.2198

Another reason: Hyping in twitch, let us believe its in next patch. Let us wait another few months.

Ninov Is Strng
Ninov Ftw

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

It’ll never happen with Wildstar around the corner believe me. I speak from experience.

Wildstar wont be the undoing of guild wars 2, believe me I also speak of experience. The only difference between gw2 and wildstar at the moment is, one of them is benefiting from not being released yet aka pre-release hype. Now if you are talking about PvE then maybe, since it has all the elements PvEers want and a decent combat system.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

This is only talking about SPVP

2) Merge Solo que and Team que into competitive Que. Where you have a seen rank not just a time played rank a rank that fluctuates up and down depending on how well you do in ques. I’m going to break this down. for you . Player “A” struts a Private Rank Player “B” struts a Private 1 Star Rank Both players que they get matched up against each other player “A” wins he maybe goes up a rank Player “A” goes up a rank and he like wow i want to be know as the best GW2 player Alive so Player entices his buddies to create a team His team is filled with Private 1 Star players so at first they get matched up against pugs which they slaughter and get his team feeling good but then he proceeds to the General Ranks where kitten gets real and Player “a” is like o kitten theirs only other teams playing at this rank. Might not be so wise to got go que solo from here on out i’m gonna form strats with my team so i can be “5 star general rank” Which basically tells the world im a fugging bad kitten and now gives that player access to the 5 star general armory locker of unique weapon skins with amazing effects only acquired in pvp and can be ported over to pve as well. The same way pvers should be able to port over Legendary weapon skins as well.

you lost me here bro. As a community we spent MONTHS trying get devs to separate the queues, now you want to merge them back together?? You’re self fulfilling your whole community feedback → developers running in circles prophecy. I expect you’re reasoning behind this is that there was simply more teams when we had merged queues on NA, more people competing; therefore separating queues is what caused everyone to leave. This is wrong, I’ve talked extensively to nearly every single competitive team on NA that quit during that time period and solo queue is the only reason a lot of the individual players from these teams still log in today.

I know you’re a long term player Aldizi, you’ve been here with us since the beginning. But merging the queues is just a terrible design concept that is what ultimately CAUSED gw2 pvp to fall off in the first place with free/paid tournies. A better solution is to scrap the hotjoin servers in custom games and just let ppl queue up "normal games’ with friends for different specific maps; like a checkbox where you can mark the maps you wanna play, and not mark the bad maps like skyhammer.

Neglekt

in PvP

garethh.3518

Wildstar wont be the undoing of guild wars 2, believe me I also speak of experience.

I watched videos of its PvP… and yeah… nothing special.

Kinda tragic.
I’ve been dying for a good PvP MMO lately.

in PvP

garethh.3518

As a community we spent MONTHS trying get devs to separate the queues

People knew that there is an issue in the queue system.
They latched on to the idea that separating team/solo queue would fix it…
It never would.
It only would ever exacerbate previous issues (bad matchmaking from small population, long queue times from small population)

It’s the typical forum deal, their dead-on about an issue (queue design is terrible), just terribly wrong about a solution.
Making a separate competitive queue with a rank 20 requirement (along-side a normal queue, like what tournaments are at the moment) would have been a few dozen times better.
It’s what next to every serious PvP game does.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Wildstar wont be the undoing of guild wars 2, believe me I also speak of experience.

I watched videos of its PvP… and yeah… nothing special.

I find it significantly more enjoyable than sPvP, again speaking from experience.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: lollasaurus.1457

lollasaurus.1457

0/5

Spvp is a massive fail because of braindead horrible balance.

in PvP

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

No DR on CC…

Don’t even…

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

As a community we spent MONTHS trying get devs to separate the queues

People knew that there is an issue in the queue system.
They latched on to the idea that separating team/solo queue would fix it…
It never would.
It only would ever exacerbate previous issues (bad matchmaking from small population, long queue times from small population)

It’s the typical forum deal, their dead-on about an issue (queue design is terrible), just terribly wrong about a solution.
Making a separate competitive queue with a rank 20 requirement (along-side a normal queue, like what tournaments are at the moment) would have been a few dozen times better.
It’s what next to every serious PvP game does.

I think you may have forgotten the reasons we asked for a solo queue. Most of us just wanted to be able to queue with a team one day and queue solo the next, with separate MMRs for each queue. We never expected it to lower queue times.

A lot of players (people who queued with full teams) were really worried that queues might get longer after the split. To which the rest of us said “yeah they’ll probably get longer, because you’ll no longer be farming pugs with your team.” It was a good trade.

in PvP

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

I don’t think the queues are long enough currently to count as an argument, but I’m not sure what the queue times will be in like 3 years. The primary problem I have with the solo queue right now is some of the outlier maps that don’t really mesh well with the more standard team queue tournament maps (yes, I mean gimmickhammer!)
I do agree that the sPvP has issues, but to call it a massive fail, is a massive fail!

Some of the issues that I would like to point out about GW2 sPvP in general:
- One of the issues is (was) the rewards, and I think anet is moving in the right direction with that.
- Lack of an observe feature for tournament games after the game is over (something similar to GW1).
- More game types! I love the idea behind WvW borderland ruins, but the problem is that it’s designed for sPvPers, but it’s available in a completely non-structured environment. If something like that was just made available as a different sPvP game type for 8v8 or 10v10 for example, it would have been in a much better spot. If they brought GvG in as an official sPvP game type (based on the non-official GvG that players do in WvW), it would further increase the sPvP player-base.

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

in PvP

Posted by: Aldizi.5671

Aldizi.5671

The fact is we need a ranking system that works