Tournament Of Legends: Signups and Dates

in PvP

Posted by: BLUna.7928

BLUna.7928

Quick question: On the signups it said that a 6th player was optional. Do you need a sub/6th to be considered a full team?

Nope, as long as you’re a full 5 thats good enough.

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster
Now Casting CS:GO with ESEA
Twitter: @BLUCSGO

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

I would be curious as to your position if you didn’t stand to benefit from those 8 reserved slots.

You mean, would I be against reserving the spots for the 8 most likely teams to win?

Seeing as the reservations only hurt my hypothetical chances of not getting into the tournament from 46% to 54% if there were 100 signed up per region.. I figure it’s pretty meaningless seeing as there’s already an inevitable chance that RNG wouldn’t choose me for entry.

If I only acted out of self interest, I would probably say “no thanks” to reserved spots because it hurts my chances of getting to whack the free loot piniata, but if I thought about actually taking this tournament seriously, and preferred to see some later bracket, streamed matches, of people playing at a high level instead of what looks like the Solo Queue content that I see every day, then I would say yes to the reserved spots.

You are acting out of self interest and that’s the point. Your team is already guaranteed a spot in the tournament. Trying to act as if you care about the quality of the tournament when you are not in a position to not be included is disingenuous. How has anyone proven they are more deserving than anyone else? Previous tournaments? Tournaments that had no meaningful reward for people to put together teams? Yet, now we’re basing (potentially) the entry of this tournament on?

It’s not about reward those select few it’s about rewarding the pvp community. There are a lot of fine players out there who never saw any reason to put a team together up until now. Yet some how their commitment to the game and time spent is worth less than yours? I’m not saying those teams aren’t good teams, I’m saying there may be some very good teams that come about because of these rewards that may now be turned away from putting a team together because they are going to be excluded.

in PvP

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

What I don’t like is that the #9 team who may beat a #4 team and win a precursor may not be included in this tourny because of rng

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: Mike.4830

Mike.4830

I would be curious as to your position if you didn’t stand to benefit from those 8 reserved slots.

You mean, would I be against reserving the spots for the 8 most likely teams to win?

Seeing as the reservations only hurt my hypothetical chances of not getting into the tournament from 46% to 54% if there were 100 signed up per region.. I figure it’s pretty meaningless seeing as there’s already an inevitable chance that RNG wouldn’t choose me for entry.

If I only acted out of self interest, I would probably say “no thanks” to reserved spots because it hurts my chances of getting to whack the free loot piniata, but if I thought about actually taking this tournament seriously, and preferred to see some later bracket, streamed matches, of people playing at a high level instead of what looks like the Solo Queue content that I see every day, then I would say yes to the reserved spots.

You are acting out of self interest and that’s the point. Your team is already guaranteed a spot in the tournament. Trying to act as if you care about the quality of the tournament when you are not in a position to not be included is disingenuous. How has anyone proven they are more deserving than anyone else? Previous tournaments? Tournaments that had no meaningful reward for people to put together teams? Yet, now we’re basing (potentially) the entry of this tournament on?

It’s not about reward those select few it’s about rewarding the pvp community. There are a lot of fine players out there who never saw any reason to put a team together up until now. Yet some how their commitment to the game and time spent is worth less than yours? I’m not saying those teams aren’t good teams, I’m saying there may be some very good teams that come about because of these rewards that may now be turned away from putting a team together because they are going to be excluded.

And you are not? Clearly you are not near near the skill level of the top 8 teams, but you care so much to get in that you complain about the best teams competing. While MP wants to make it fair, its still needs to be competitive, and I truly hope your bad team doesnt get chosen just so I can see your rage.
EDIT: This is a competitive tournament, not a loot run… the whole point is to reward the best players not the community

Backpack God
The Absurd [RIP] ESL Go4 Weekly Winners
Outplayed By Children [GG] ToL 2 Winners

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

EDIT: This is a competitive tournament, not a loot run… the whole point is to reward the best players not the community

Can you please link me to the place where that has been said?

in PvP

Darek.1836

Can you please link me to the place where that has been said?

it is most definitely implied.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: Relentless.7023

Relentless.7023

I see a fundamental inability of some of the more vocal PvE and WvW players to grasp the idea that their place has to be proven before they get preferential treatment in a tournament that is not PvE or WvW.

Anyone who wants to exclude teams who PvP regularly or at a high level should get a team together, play them, and see why they’re getting that roster spot instead of them.

It’s like saying this year’s NFL playoffs should exclude all the division champions.

How does that make any sense whatsoever?

in PvP

Relentless.7023

Qualifiers would just be a formality and everyone, including Blu, knows that.

Pyriall these “very good teams” you speak about wouldn’t have a chance against what’s left of the smoldering ruin that is the PvP community. It’s at its smallest and most bitter state ever, but they’re still better than the WvW and PvE heroes in every conceivable way.

Like it or not, competition excludes the people who either can’t hack it or would be an autoloss going in.

Who wants to watch 500-10 blowouts? I mean, the only way people would enjoy watching that is if there was a WvW or PvE team that ran their mouth publicly saying they’re gonna sweep the PvP noobs that got their kitten handed to them.

So there’s an idea and a challenge for you PvE and WvW heroes – call out these guys on a stream, say your team is going to beat them, and participate in the tournament. For sheer presentation value you’d get a spot and we’d all get to laugh at how badly you lose

in PvP

Rezz.8019

Why do you all assume it’s all PvE and WvW people? There are at least 15 really strong teams that will participate in this tourney, and any of them could win. Especially after hambow and lyssa rune nerf.

EDIT: I meant on NA server. I’m sure EU has way more really strong teams.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Qualifiers would just be a formality and everyone, including Blu, knows that.

Pyriall these “very good teams” you speak about wouldn’t have a chance against what’s left of the smoldering ruin that is the PvP community. It’s at its smallest and most bitter state ever, but they’re still better than the WvW and PvE heroes in every conceivable way.

Like it or not, competition excludes the people who either can’t hack it or would be an autoloss going in.

Who wants to watch 500-10 blowouts? I mean, the only way people would enjoy watching that is if there was a WvW or PvE team that ran their mouth publicly saying they’re gonna sweep the PvP noobs that got their kitten handed to them.

So there’s an idea and a challenge for you PvE and WvW heroes – call out these guys on a stream, say your team is going to beat them, and participate in the tournament. For sheer presentation value you’d get a spot and we’d all get to laugh at how badly you lose

If that’s the case, and it could very well be, why exclude them? All of those matches don’t need to be streamed. We’re talking fairness here and nothing else. Do I think there are potentially 8 teams who deserve a reservation? Speaking only from NA, I would say NO there isn’t. There may be 3 or 4 who would separate themselves from the rest. Then I still don’t believe their time is more valuable than anyone else’s given the lack of a qualifying criteria pre-tournament.

in PvP

Darek.1836

Why do you all assume it’s all PvE and WvW people? There are at least 15 really strong teams that will participate in this tourney, and any of them could win. Especially after hambow and lyssa rune nerf.

EDIT: I meant on NA server. I’m sure EU has way more really strong teams.

truth

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

At the very least take this as a lesson A-net. If you provide proper incentives you’ll have a decent amount of pvp players willing to participate in “official” tournaments.

Take this a step further and build upon it. Create team charters and seasons and have the final 8 teams at the end of the season compete for “pvp” legendaries.

in PvP

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

Lol the amount of salt from the PvEr’s and WvW players is just amazing lol. I can’t believe what you guys are even saying lol.

@Pyrial, First of all you are getting mad at the wrong reason. The top 8 teams that have been doing PvP since before anyone even wanted to try to PvP ofc deserve a top spot/seed in the tournament. Its like saying if there are 8 top NBA teams, then all of a sudden there is a 100 trillion dollar tournament, and many teams want to participate even when 90% of them have never even played against the best or participated in the NBA, should be given an equal chance. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

You didn’t invest time into the one part of the game ANET is about to reward players for who have. Now you want to get mad/jealous at those who have and are being given a chance for being rewarded for it? The irony and selfish stupidity behind that is just lol………

You are getting upset over the wrong reason. The top 8 teams for sure deserve a spot. What you need to be saying is that the other 56 need some sort of qualification round for entry into the tournament. That will ensure the best teams are in the tournament. And if you feel the 8 teams at the top don’t deserve a spot and can be beaten by other teams, well thats what the tourney is for isn’t it :P. I agree the randomization of the 56 sucks because it doesn’t ensure the best PvE/WvW players will be in the tourney. But at the same time, everyone decided not to invest time into the leaderboards/pvp, so its not anyones fault besides yours. You can’t expect to be given equal treatment to those who’ve spent countless hours in their field, and have become successful at it. That is not how life works anywhere in the world my friend lol.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

(edited by lilz shorty.1879)

in PvP

Posted by: hehk.8705

hehk.8705

I would like to see any of these WvW/PvE players make a team and stack as many cancer builds as they can find onto their team. Then have them play against a team like GF(not the junior varsity version) or another high level team.

I would be willing to put down 50-100g the WvW/PvE players would lose. (I would put down more but I am poor from buying dreamthistle skins)

Curie is my smooth Australian sensei.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Lol the amount of salt from the PvEr’s and WvW players is just amazing lol. I can’t believe what you guys are even saying lol.

@Pyrial, First of all you are getting mad at the wrong reason. The top 8 teams that have been doing PvP since before anyone even wanted to try to PvP ofc deserve a top spot/seed in the tournament. Its like saying if there are 8 top NBA teams, then all of a sudden there is a 100 trillion dollar tournament, and many teams want to participate even when 90% of them have never even played against the best or participated in the NBA, should be given an equal chance. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Hardly, it’s like saying the NFL season just started and the 2 superbowl contenders from last year get an automatic bid into the playoffs. How do you guys keep calculating the “best” 8 teams? Those were unofficial tournaments that have no bearing on this tournament. See how stupid that sounds?

Secondly, if you’re referencing me as a salty pver or wvwer I only have ever pvp’d. There are plenty of other PVP only players who are going to miss out on this tournament for no other reason than because someone somewhere decided to unofficial data as a means to guarantee spots in an open tournament.

(edited by Pyriall.5027)

in PvP

Relentless.7023

All this fairness and who gets to be in stuff is irrelevant.

Competitors compete. If you sign up and commit to competing, then whoever decides on the teams that gets in will weigh that based on how much information, if any, there is about what they’ve done. People who have competed in tournaments before, few of them as they are, would make the most sense as roster spots. Everyone else would likely be accepted based on how soon they signed up and where they are on the leaderboards. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Nobody would want to watch a bunch of random people who put names on a list get blown out.

It’s not rocket science. You’re just freaking out about nothing Pyriall. Your ranting makes me want to see you put a team together and compete to see how you do.

(edited by Relentless.7023)

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Hardly, it’s like saying the NFL season just started and the 2 superbowl contenders from last year get an automatic bid into the playoffs. How do you guys keep calculating the “best” 8 teams? Those were unofficial tournaments that have no bearing on this tournament. See how stupid that sounds?

Secondly, if you’re referencing me as a salty pver or wvwer I only have ever pvp’d. There are plenty of other PVP only players who are going to miss out on this tournament for no other reason than because someone somewhere decided to unofficial data as a means to guarantee spots in an open tournament.

It’s more like open tryouts for an NFL team, but the current starting lineup is is already guaranteed spots on the team.

You can’t compare an NFL vet with a bum that come in off the street.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

All this fairness and who gets to be in stuff is irrelevant.

Competitors compete. If you sign up and commit to competing, then whoever decides on the teams that gets in will weigh that based on how much information, if any, there is about what they’ve done. People who have competed in tournaments before, few of them as they are, would make the most sense as roster spots. Everyone else would likely be accepted based on how soon they signed up and where they are on the leaderboards. Why is that so difficult to understand?

It’s not rocket science. You’re just freaking out about nothing Pyriall. Your ranting makes me want to see you put a team together and compete to see how you do.

I’m not looking to compete and that has nothing to do with why my position being what it is. What affect does me competing have to do with what I’m talking about? What’s so hard to understand about that? Did I say I would be able to put together a team that would beat top teams?

Why would we use past tournaments as criteria for entry into a tournament that was set up as a way to get some pvpers a legendary through pvp? If it was announced ages ago and they said they would, then you wouldn’t have an argument from me.

I guess today, when you take a position opposite of others it is considered freaking out. So with that I say, don’t freak out about me freaking out…

(edited by Pyriall.5027)

in PvP

Darek.1836

I think the 5-6 weeks we were given by anet until the tournament starts is enough for a new team to finish at least in the top 8.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

It’s more like open tryouts for an NFL team, but the current starting lineup is is already guaranteed spots on the team.

You can’t compare an NFL vet with a bum that come in off the street.

I don’t know what NFL team you follow, but when training camp opens there are no guaranteed spots. If that was the case you wouldn’t have vets cut all the time.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

I think the 5-6 weeks we were given by anet until the tournament starts is enough for a new team to finish at least in the top 8.

Did they make that announcement and I missed it? They said, “gaining top 8 would guarantee you a spot in the tournament of legends.” If they did I apologize for everything I wrote and will gladly step out of this conversation.

in PvP

Darek.1836

Did they make that announcement and I missed it? They said, “gaining top 8 would guarantee you a spot in the tournament of legends.” If they did I apologize for everything I wrote and will gladly step out of this conversation.

Dude I stopped reading your posts forever ago… everyone who blu picks will deserve to be in the tournament hands down no questions asked. I just don’t want my team to be screwed over so I’d really like if he either added more reserve spots or made it not randomized at all.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

I’m not looking to compete and that has nothing to do with why my position is what it is. What affect does me competing have to do with what I’m talking about? What’s so had to understand about that? Did I say I would be able to put together a team that would beat top teams?

Well, you basically won’t stop talking about the real possibility that any team of competent players that have never competitively tPvPed for the last year are going to form up this week and upset the top teams, and how unfair the 8 team reserve is to these guys.

Might as well put your game time where your mouth is!

You’re not going to get an argument that the better teams are more deserving, the problem is how did you come up with who the better teams were? Especially for this stand alone tournament as a prerequisite to entry. Those teams that won what ever tournament reaped the benefits of those tournaments. Those tournaments have nothing to do with this one. There was no announcement that said, “A-Net sanctioned Mistepedia tournaments, placement in those tournaments will result in guaranteed placement in the tournament of legends” What if ALL those older teams came back that were considered the best teams of the past came back? Should they then bump the teams that competed recently?

You’re still actually suggesting we don’t know who the better teams are, because tournaments are all individual events?

Nevermind the same 3 teams per region that simply plow every tournament and team queue for the last 6+ months, it’s a mystery, guys.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Well, you basically won’t stop talking about the real possibility that any team of competent players that have never competitively tPvPed for the last year are going to form up this week and upset the top teams, and how unfair the 8 team reserve is to these guys.

Might as well put your game time where your mouth is!

That would only make sense if I were saying that my team, which I do not have, is being excluded from the tournament. I have not once said this, let’s make even larger leaps in logic. Apparently you want to fight me…Let’s fight. Oh no? You never said that? Well you keep arguing with me, so put your money where your mouth is. Let’s fist fight…rolls eyes

You’re still actually suggesting we don’t know who the better teams are, because tournaments are all individual events?

Nevermind the same 3 teams per region that simply plow every tournament and team queue for the last 6+ months, it’s a mystery, guys.

I’m actually saying, if you understand English, that it isn’t fair to NOW say that those tournaments have any determining factor to guarantee spots for a stand alone tournament.

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

@Pyriall

The point of the tournament is for the best teams to win. Ideally, the best team will get first, the second best team will get second, the third best team will get third, and so on. However, in a single elimination tournament, those teams could face each other early on and knock each other out. Then the second best team might not get second. All that is guaranteed is that the best team will get first. If you seed the top eight teams, then at some point, if another team wants to place in the top eight, they’ll have to beat those teams at some point.

Okay, now we’ve established why the seeds are a good thing. They insure that the top eight teams place in the top eight, which should be the goal of such a tournament. Now, how do we decide which teams deserve those top eight seeds?

We could use the leaderboards, or we could use past tournaments. You can argue that those aren’t perfect measures of the strength of a team, and I would agree with you. However, saying that they tell you nothing about the strength of a team would be a stupid assertion. Now, what is better? Completely randomizing the tournament, or seeding the top eight based on whatever metric we may have? Using something to seed the teams results in a much higher chance of the desired outcome: the top eight teams placing in the top eight.

Of course, it is indeed possible for the unseeded teams to be better than one of the seeded teams. However, there is no way for the tournament administrators to know that. Tournaments are seeded with the best knowledge available.

Let me use a real world analogy. I wrestled in high school. Tournaments were seeded based on the records of the wrestlers. Some tournaments had the coaches submit a record of previous tournament placings of their wrestlers, and then they’d have a meeting to seed the tournaments based on that. Someone with no record would be seeded lowest. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t be the best or second best wrestler in the tournament. However, there’s no reason to seed them higher than last place. It’s just not a reasonable complaint.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

@Pyriall

Let me use a real world analogy. I wrestled in high school. Tournaments were seeded based on the records of the wrestlers. Some tournaments had the coaches submit a record of previous tournament placings of their wrestlers, and then they’d have a meeting to seed the tournaments based on that. Someone with no record would be seeded lowest. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t be the best or second best wrestler in the tournament. However, there’s no reason to seed them higher than last place. It’s just not a reasonable complaint.

And I understand this IF they had made it clear that is what they were doing when they introduced this tournament. They didn’t they kept reiterating it was open to everyone. Am I wrong in asking that everyone be given equal opportunity? Some of you guys are so blinded by your own greed it is more repulsive than me asking those who want to participate be given their opportunity to do so.

This isn’t about YOU and only YOU few people. The collective pvp community had very little to begin with. I don’t measure you staying and playing tournaments anymore valuable than those others who stayed and pvp’d solo.

You guys asking for exclusion vs me asking for inclusion is the issue. There is a real fear that you “dedicated” tournament players won’t get in. Now take that same feeling and apply it to those who may excluded. How hard is that to see?

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

Also, this isn’t just about the “competitive” pvp community. It’s about the bloody pvp community. This wasn’t made just for you.

A Tournament of Legends not for the competitive PvP community? Seeing as only the top 8 get rewarded, how do you figure it’d be at all accurate to include the casual community in there?

Instead of a tournament where you have to compete, I have a proposal just for you, Pyriall.

Instead of single elimination conquest, we should have a contest to see who can hotjoin for the longest without dying IRL. Seeing as you have 74% of your games played as hotjoin, and are rank 63, you should be a shoe-in for the gold.

They stated repeatedly on the RU that it was open to anyone who wanted to participate. Obviously only the top teams will win, so what’s the harm in allowing more to enter?

Your only response to this is to bring hotjoins into this conversation? As if this some how offends me. Well…you know your team gained a lot of ranking steam rolling solo queue players in team queue. I don’t see the difference.

(edited by Pyriall.1683)

in PvP

Posted by: Leonschiggen.1860

Leonschiggen.1860

For the sake of the pvp community…please don’t just put a bunch of random teams up. That’s going to be boring as hell to watch. I want to see top teams competing for top 8 instead of random kitten teams that no one knows or cares about who might or might not be good.

Deathknight NA
twitch.tv/deznaito

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

@Pyriall

Saying that everyone can participate doesn’t even IMPLY that the tournament won’t be seeded.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@blu:

Good structure for the tournament. It is the best possible scenario given that you need to complete the tournament over 1 weekend.

in PvP

style.6173

For the most part, that’s what WvW is. I do both at a highest level so i’m not one of your typical posters who see’s things from one perspective. I agree that, 20v20 of the best WvWr’s vs the best 20 in pvp would not be a demolish. But that isn’t due to mechanics at all. The GvGr’s all have more experience following their commanders like headless chickens, blasting water fields, keeping stability up, dropping damage when he says drop damage. To me that is not skill but literally just a cluster crap of skills spammed and the guilds weaving in of each other until they drop people.

Your mechanics cannot be built in WvW at all. You ignore 90% of what GW2 combat mechanics brings, which is why WvW players feel they need 20v20. Without 20v20, their terrible mechanics get highlighted. In 20v20 you constantly have stability, multiple water fields and conditions getting cleansed for you. Savings skills for the right moment is not a necessity as opposed to just making sure stability and protection is up all the time.

You missed the main point of my post. WvW and PvP are way different. Both involve a lot of skill usage, just in different ways. WvW or PvE teams that come into the PvP tournament are going to get destroyed. Understanding the map, rotations, situational awareness are key.

Likewise, the top 4 PvP guilds combined would lose against the best 20v20 WvW GvG guild. To your point, it is about people understanding how to follow the commander, use combos at the correct time, etc.

Again, for me, I just find it amusing when a WvW or PvE guild think they will come into the tournament and win. They won’t. People tend to be good at one area of the game, and not multiple.

in PvP

Rezz.8019

@Pyriall

The point of the tournament is for the best teams to win. Ideally, the best team will get first, the second best team will get second, the third best team will get third, and so on. However, in a single elimination tournament, those teams could face each other early on and knock each other out. Then the second best team might not get second. All that is guaranteed is that the best team will get first. If you seed the top eight teams, then at some point, if another team wants to place in the top eight, they’ll have to beat those teams at some point.

Yes, the best team will win. But nothing outside the tournament shouldn’t matter in deciding who has more right or who is the best. Take GW1 tournaments for example. EVERYONE was on equal foot, and during the tournament some good teams indeed did drop early because they faced other good teams. Did that make quarterfinals, semifinals, finals any less interesting? No. Every single match was very close and interesting, no matter who the teams were. All of that was achieved by a simple thing: fairness and equality for everyone. If you are good you will show it in the tournament. If you face a tough team and you lose, well what to say you don’t deserve to win, and you definitely don’t deserve top 8 or whatever. Who is to say you are “third best” team or whatever?

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

That makes no sense though. Guild Wars 1 argument is only an example of tournament, we could talk about football champions league, where some get " easier opponents " and some others can be eliminated in first phase because of hard match-up…

On the long term, the best teams should be on the top anyway, but not all. The point is to also see " less known " teams that could provide some different tactics and win against good teams

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

@Pyriall

Saying that everyone can participate doesn’t even IMPLY that the tournament won’t be seeded.

Seeding is done, within the tournament, once the competitors have been established. We’re talking about reservations. I have no problem with them seeding teams and setting up the brackets appropriately. I do have a problem with them giving preferential treatment to certain players.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Essentially what they’re doing is seeding the top eight, randomizing the rest of the seeds, and then not allowing those bottom seeds to play.

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

Essentially what they’re doing is seeding the top eight, randomizing the rest of the seeds, and then not allowing those bottom seeds to play.

Why not let the bottom seeds play?

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Because too many teams signed up.

in PvP

Posted by: JackyCore.2506

JackyCore.2506

8 good teams and 56 random? (maybe pve/wvw players), amazing.

JackyCore.2506 / Thief, war, necro, ranger / Make Your Choices [SAW] / Desolation [EU]

in PvP

style.6173

Why not let the bottom seeds play?

One word: time. It is tough to do all that over one weekend.

I do hope that for every future tournament, they do change the rules and do this over multiple weekends.

in PvP

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

I was under the impression everyone who signed up for this would be competing and I guess that isn’t the case. I’m a little bummed out. Every person on my team are really strong fighters. We just joined forces as none of us had a team to play with.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Posted by: apt.9184

apt.9184

I was under the impression everyone who signed up for this would be competing and I guess that isn’t the case. I’m a little bummed out. Every person on my team are really strong fighters. We just joined forces as none of us had a team to play with.

Don’t lose hope yet blu is revealing NA brackets on 26th and EU on 15th. I suggest signing up for weekly tournaments they can be really fun.

Lil Apt
L2P deeez nutz

in PvP

Relentless.7023

It isn’t preferential treatment to reserve spots for players who have proven themselves as competitors. They’ve already earned their place.

It does need to be said, however, that this is what happens when you don’t have leagues and ladders. It gives white knight forum crusaders like Pyriall a pulpit to preach fairness and justice from when anybody who actually plays the game knows that the “privileged” players who are “being given a spot” deserve to be there and will be the main draw of the tournament.

If there are leagues and ladders, then there’s no crusade.

in PvP

Posted by: Static.9841

Static.9841

The density of minds and self-entitlement is getting really disappointing considering all those threads about how top players deserved something for their time whilst trashing lower ranks, and now we have a thread where top teams think they deserve something whilst trashing lower rated teams. Cute.

I’m with Pyriall, the issue here is that none of this was stated from the start. If you’re going to run a tournament where the biggest draw you’re going to use in the PR machine is how anyone can join and anyone has a chance, then you kitten well shouldn’t edit this later because the top 8 teams have had a word with Blu and think they deserve a spot because “reasons” and then play the old switcharoo with the entry rules.

If it was stated from the start that 8 teams would be chosen, nobody would care and sure, if you were one of those people, you deserve it because it was a pre-requisite.
However, that was never stated, and thus you deserve no higher spot or guaranteed entry over anyone else and should take your chances like anyone else as per the original stated rules.

I think it’s hilariously stupid to be making comments on how anyone outside of the declared top 8 are going to be PvE’ers or WvW’ers thus making them a complete waste in certain people’s eyes – way to be utterly dismissive of anyone representing outside of the top 8 chosen group whilst simultaneously keeping the attitude toxic.

[Zeus] Guild ~ Desolation. Not some silly muffin thing, stop stalking me Dhiania!

(edited by Static.9841)

in PvP

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

The density of minds and self-entitlement is getting really disappointing considering all those threads about how top players deserved something for their time whilst trashing lower ranks, and now we have a thread where top teams think they deserve something whilst trashing lower rated teams. Cute.

I’m with Pyriall, the issue here is that none of this was stated from the start. If you’re going to run a tournament where the biggest draw you’re going to use in the PR machine is how anyone can join and anyone has a chance, then you kitten well shouldn’t edit this later because the top 8 teams have had a word with Blu and think they deserve a spot because “reasons” and then play the old switcharoo with the entry rules.

If it was stated from the start that 8 teams would be chosen, nobody would care and sure, if you were one of those people, you deserve it because it was a pre-requisite.
However, that was never stated, and thus you deserve no higher spot or guaranteed entry over anyone else and should take your chances like anyone else as per the original stated rules.

I think it’s hilariously stupid to be making comments on how anyone outside of the declared top 8 are going to be PvE’ers or WvW’ers thus making them a complete waste in certain people’s eyes – way to be utterly dismissive of anyone representing outside of the top 8 chosen group whilst simultaneously keeping the attitude toxic.

I agree with Static and Pyriall.

in PvP

Posted by: Uhtameit.2413

Uhtameit.2413

I agree with Static and Pyriall.

And I do, too. Although beware, if you agree with Pyriall your post might be deleted for no reason.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Read the announcement post again. They said they would open sign-ups for everyone, but only 16 teams would play. They never said how those teams would be chosen. Saying that they’ve changed their stance since the announcement is false. They just never specified how the teams would be chosen. It’s kind of a pattern for ArenaNet to trickle out information. Whether or not you find that annoying doesn’t change the fact that they never said how the teams would be chosen.

in PvP

Posted by: DanzelOPP.5068

DanzelOPP.5068

The top teams deserve a spot, considering they have already proven their worth and shown they have the ability to be considered a top team. I just don’t think its a smart move from Anet to exclude anyone, especially since they are trying to bring new players in. The exclusion from participating is going to and has kittened a lot of people off who were actually going to pvp, now you’ve taken the wind out of their sails. Next tourney shouldn’t exclude anyone who puts up a team and should take as long as it takes to wuss le the brackets down.
I would be kittened to because if I actually put the time in to form a team and practice with them and then didn’t get a spot it would be a total waste of time.
The top teams do deserve a spot just others shouldn’t have been excluded.

B O I N K

in PvP

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Read the announcement post again. They said they would open sign-ups for everyone, but only 16 teams would play. They never said how those teams would be chosen. Saying that they’ve changed their stance since the announcement is false. They just never specified how the teams would be chosen. It’s kind of a pattern for ArenaNet to trickle out information. Whether or not you find that annoying doesn’t change the fact that they never said how the teams would be chosen.

“We’ll open sign-ups to everyone, but only 16 teams per region will make it into the Tournament (subject to change).”

The implication is that some teams will be filtered out, yes. I don’t think it was implied anywhere that the filtering mechanism would be “past performance.” Otherwise, why even open it to everyone? Why not just open it to the best 16 teams from past tournaments?

Also, “(Please keep in mind the amount of bracket slots will more than likely be extended assuming we have enough teams.)”

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

That past performance is only for 8 teams. That’s still 56 teams that are chosen randomly.

They made a mistake underestimating their event. What can they do? Learn from it but now they have to deal with it and make the right decision. This is the right decision (imo) for the quality (from an organising and viewing standpoint) of the tournament.

If he didn’t it would be a complete mess.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

@Nevets

That’s just it. They never specified how the teams would be filtered. You’re acting like they changed it. They just didn’t announce it with the initial post.