Tournaments with restrictions

in PvP

Posted by: Dr Patrik.3642

Dr Patrik.3642

As I’m sure most people can agree, PvP has a lot of undesirable qualities right now. For example, the overwhelming amount of strong passives, spammable condis, and so on. Another complaint many people have is the tournaments are way to cluttered and hard to read. Since there is nothing suggesting these issues will be fixed by the developers any time soon (as far as I’m aware), tournament with restrictions on builds might end up being a step in the right direction make matches a better experience to watch and play. It might also attract more new players to the game since they would more easily be able to understand what is going on.

This type of thing has been done before. They banned the engineer’s grenadier trait when it was bugged as well as restricted the number of one class on a team do to celestial elementalists. If it was done before with the majority of feedback being positive I think it would be a good idea to do it again now.

Things could possibly be restricted or limited for multiple reasons.

1. Skills with little effect but a lot of clutter
An example of this would be to many necromancer minions or to many dragon hunter traps. A restriction to this might be to limit the number of minions/traps one can take.

2. Passives that are to strong
An example of this would be the scrapper elixir s at 25% hp + heal skills off cooldown at 25% hp. A possible restriction to this could be forcing people to chose only one of those passives, or if that doesn’t work, simply restricting one or both of them.

3. Skills that are to strong
An example of this would be the berserker mace primal burst. This could be restricted by making players only able to use mace in their main hand on warrior rather than berserker or by restricting specific amulets if they have mace in their main hand.

Keep in mind that these reasons for restrictions and examples are my opinion and not meant to be the topic of discussion. They are simply what I would do if I was to chose restrictions for a tournament. Also, I am open to, and even encourage other people’s opinions on reasons for restrictions as well as examples. I don’t mind if you have a different opinion about my example but please don’t start a discussion about it on this post as it will only sway this post off topic. I only gave them to try to better illustrate my point.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Unless a certain ability, trait or equipment is bugged and waiting for a swift patch, we don’t need build restrictions in Tournaments.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Dr Patrik.3642

Unless a certain ability, trait or equipment is bugged and waiting for a swift patch, we don’t need build restrictions in Tournaments.

Explain class stacking restrictions then with your logic

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Bringing back codex arena from guildwars 1 would be nice. It gave players an option to leave the unbalanced meta and play a fair game once in a while.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

No HoT specializations allowed!

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Building a restricted tournament would be contrary to the spirit of gw2. There’s nothing stopping you from organizing such a thing on your own though.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

So instead of Anet actually balancing the game you want ESL to make more rules?

How about ESL players can only play with 1 hand?

How about if Lord helseth hamster is actually better then 50% of the community? I want to see that little nugget vs other ESL players/teams.

I hate these things, when people asked diana taurasi if women should play on 9 ft rims. She attacked them and I like her want to respect the game, the players, and the League. Having a 1 class restriction is already a bit of a joke to me but if you want to do this and if people actually agree, GW2 shouldnt bother with PvP anymore.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

adding more restrictions will further remove ESL games from the reality of what we see in ranked. Class stacking should be removed from ranked as well but its harder to program or at least thats what it seems since it will have to also mean no char swapping when map loads.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

No HoT specializations allowed!

This would probably actually work as well :/

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

What does that have to do with build restrictions?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Dr Patrik.3642

How about if Lord helseth hamster is actually better then 50% of the community? I want to see that little nugget vs other ESL players/teams.

I hate these things, when people asked diana taurasi if women should play on 9 ft rims. She attacked them and I like her want to respect the game, the players, and the League. Having a 1 class restriction is already a bit of a joke to me but if you want to do this and if people actually agree, GW2 shouldnt bother with PvP anymore.

First, I don’t just mean restrict just ESL, I mean any tournament that has an option to restrict things and is willing to do so.

The reason I suggested this is because Anet has shown no sign truly balancing PvP in the near future. By that I don’t mean perfect balance, which is impossible with an MMO, but rather just to the point of balance that is comparable to other e sports games. The reason for this is that the PvP team can’t directly change the class’s skills and the only team that can directly change the skills is balancing for all three game modes at once.

Now I for one would rather have people like the community or the PvP team try to make PvP a better place rather than waiting MONTHS for a balance patch only to find out that it didn’t change much for PvP.

My response outlined a flaw in your logic, which was that a restriction was made that didn’t meet the criteria that you laid out. Now as for your second comment, I realize now that my original title narrowed the scope of my post to exclude something I originally intended to include. I have since then changed the title as I think leaving the possibilities more open is a better idea.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

First, I don’t just mean restrict just ESL, I mean any tournament that has an option to restrict things and is willing to do so.

The reason I suggested this is because Anet has shown no sign truly balancing PvP in the near future. By that I don’t mean perfect balance, which is impossible with an MMO, but rather just to the point of balance that is comparable to other e sports games. The reason for this is that the PvP team can’t directly change the class’s skills and the only team that can directly change the skills is balancing for all three game modes at once.

Now I for one would rather have people like the community or the PvP team try to make PvP a better place rather than waiting MONTHS for a balance patch only to find out that it didn’t change much for PvP.

My response outlined a flaw in your logic, which was that a restriction was made that didn’t meet the criteria that you laid out. Now as for your second comment, I realize now that my original title narrowed the scope of my post to exclude something I originally intended to include. I have since then changed the title as I think leaving the possibilities more open is a better idea.

I completely agree with you that Anet will not balance the game. I also agree that you cant get a perfect balance in a MMO. The last thing ill agree with is Anet PvP team has no power with in the game or that there might not be a PvP team at all.

But that is where it ends. The community, outside resources such as a ESL league can not save PvP. Asking the community to stand together when alot of people see things differently when it comes to nerfs/OP problems with in the game.

The community before HOT were asking why certain builds were being destroyed. Conjured weapons for ele was nerfed, rampage for warrior was nerfed among other things yet d/d went untouched for months. HOT comes out and completely kills classes during PvP seasons.

There is nothing we can do to stop this. If you get shot in the chest i can not put a band aid on it to save you. If you fall from a plane into the ocean, as much as I could try to find you. The chances of me saving you is next to none. What you are suggesting is that ocean with the PvP being that plane.

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Rock “dear anet please ban paper because.” “ps scissors is fine”

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Rock “dear anet please ban paper because.” “ps scissors is fine”

This is pretty much what most of the currently active sPvP players keep saying to ANet. It’s sad times when most of your supposedly competitive community, absolutely loaths competitions with a passion.

Instead of learning the game, they would rather complain to ANet about one or two builds that prevents them from being absolute Alphas of sPvP and counters their builds. At the same time while being able to completely counter 6 out of the other 8 professions builds is completely fine.

I agree here as well because what is that point of a competition if it’s rigged just to make a few certain people ‘feel better about themselves’.[Talking about the PvP challenged players, in this game. There is a reason why GW2 has from what I’ve seen one of the lowest competitive player retention rates, and at the same time has the highest noncompetitive player retention rate in any game I’ve played since 1998 in gaming.] To included my 8 years of playing Eve Online lowest player retention ratios in all of gaming. 1st month drop out rates are insane in that game. Even BnS with it’s bot problem had a more competitive version of sPvP then GW2 currently have.

From my experiences playing with guildies and other players that I used to be friends with, their only reason for subjecting themselves to the debacles of current GW2’s sPvP is because they don’t have to spend time learning and being good to be successful in this game compared to the other big names on the market. “GW2 sPvP is easy” “I don’t have the time or want to put in the effort to learn a more complex game.” “I love getting 35 game win streaks, makes me feel like a bad kitten .” and my favorite “I just love stomping on noobs all day in this game, other games make me fight more players on my level thus I’m risking a loss. Where here if I get on a roll that roll can go on for a very long time.” and so on and so on.

These are for the most part are the only people still left playing GW2 in my experiences in the past 5 weeks. Which is why ANet says one thing to try to keep some competitive players aboard, while at the same time completely catering to these noncompetitive gamers that can’t find a home anywhere else in the gaming industry. There are some exceptions to this but they are so very far and few in-between.

Sorry for the tough love. That being said no competitive game or sport can be successful if the competitive is just a illusion to begin with. Maybe not right away, but over time more and more people and players will see the farce for what it is and act accordingly. Regardless of how many tournaments and rules and regulations you put on said tournaments.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I’d rather them limit stuff in esports as opposed to the live game. I could care less about watching other people play a game. I do enjoy playing pvp in this game or have in the past. I want better balance for sure, but I want balance with options. This game has focused builds down into not even a handful of choices per class with full lines of traits and utility skills and weapons being totally nonviable. It’s a shame.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

I’d rather them limit stuff in esports as opposed to the live game. I could care less about watching other people play a game. I do enjoy playing pvp in this game or have in the past. I want better balance for sure, but I want balance with options. This game has focused builds down into not even a handful of choices per class with full lines of traits and utility skills and weapons being totally nonviable. It’s a shame.

I have officially lost what ever enjoyment I did have in this game’s sPvP. It’s just as much as a grind fest as PvE, but with more headaches and less interesting mechanics and game modes. To me WvW is the only bit of pvp left in this game, and sPvP mode is just a soup opera for gamers where they can play out the scripts that they’ve been giving.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

It would also be nice to have a class banning option. Ban rates would tell anet which class is op directly.

(This is probably more effective a fix than premade builds.)

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game