Tourney pvp and what i think about it at the moment.

in PvP

Posted by: emilejuggernaut.1864

emilejuggernaut.1864

The problem with tpvp i find at the moment is that mesmer guardian and thief are the top 3 classes as from my point of view the other classes cannot compete in filling there roles in tpvp as well. From a rangers point of view i do not see myself filling any role as well as the other classes. I think some classes need a little love to bring them into line, the top tourney teams i see winning are always 2 guardians a mesmer and a thief and another damage dealer. I will proabably get a lot of hate from mesmers guardians and thieves but do people feel the same and if not why? Would someone like to shed a little light on this matter?

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

A little history on why this happens

I’m not surprised by what has happend. With competitive PvP the goal is always to find a way to win within the confines of the rules. Having fun is a side-effect and defined a bit differently for winning sPvP teams, it’s not the goal it’s a product of achiving the goal. sPvP offers the most intense play experience in the game, it’s also where the core mechanics and balance is put to the test.

If you’re on an sPvP team who’s actively practicing and doing pay tournaments everything you do should be for the goal of helping your team win. The win is the rush of blood to the head, it’s all the fun you’re looking for. It’s pass or fail.

With that in mind it becomes the responsibility of the team leaders to find the very best team builds and insist on them. Thus begins the never-ending cycle of nerfs and buffs that will come from ArenaNet to help balance things.

The fact that we are seeing such few meta sPvP/tPvP team builds says what a lousy job that has been done so far to really make these professions play well against one another. It’s very, very clear their focus with balance for launch was to get the PvE side tight, to make sure an Ele has a good of a chance as a Guardian of handling PvE world situations…. Now when they balance for sPvP and rest assured, that’s coming. Things can not stay the way they are now for long they stand to break the PvE experience. ArenaNet knows how this works. They went down this same path with GW1 and they ended up finally having some skills behave differently in PvP than PvE.

They seemed to believe with GW2 by reducing the number of skills available and by removing dedicated healers they could avoid doing this. I think the fact that the community has created these handful of meta team builds so quickly just shows how wrong ArenaNet was with their assumptions.

They should have learned from GW1 and introduced the sPvP side of the game as having unique versions of some skills from the start. The wisest thing they can do now is quickly go back to that model and begin the long line of nerfs to come to take the game from the fun, button mashing fireworks show experience that it is in PvE and having real balanced play mechanics for each profession so that sPvP can be taken seriously.

They were very lucky that when reviewing the game most critics avoided talking about their failure in this area. To be fair they did deliver an amazing and unique PvE experience but hopefully we’ll see sPvP become what it should be very soon and hopefully all aspects of the play including WvW and PvE will reap the benefits.

While there are certainly some benefits to being there early I continue to avoid sPvP. In my opinion it continues to be a waste of time because it’s simply not finished yet. Yes I do count the balance problems into the mix when I use the word unfinished. No game will ever have perfect balance, but this one has a very long way to go to get into the ballpark of being worth it IMO. Every profession should be usable in sPvP not three out of eight.

(edited by SamTheGuardian.2938)

in PvP

Posted by: ianbrooksg.6521

ianbrooksg.6521

Gotta love guardian bunker builds right…

in PvP

Posted by: Im Too Godlike.5629

Im Too Godlike.5629

Spec into traps and you are actually an amazing point defender as a ranger…

All classes have at least one thing they excel at in tpvp, its just that those things are less desirable in the current meta.

in PvP

emilejuggernaut.1864

I could do that but i would be sub par to a guardian it’s like taking a knife to a gun fight. I just don’t understand how they can claim there is all these builds and a vast variety when there is only one formula to win theif guardian mesmer. Also on a side note i think it is a little unfair if you don’t bring a mesmer to kyhlo you cannot win if they have one.

in PvP

Posted by: shiNn.2571

shiNn.2571

if the enemys have an condi thief → logg on your necro →win

play ingi, trolling arround → win
like oh I’m down? I dont think so!
u wanna deff you point? look how knockbacks kick your kitten /p>

not just the 3 classes are viable. just open your eyes and try different things. Ingi best offensiv longpoint detapper imo atm

Mighty Shinn
Jealous Much [JM]

in PvP

emilejuggernaut.1864

i shouldn’t have to play a certain class do well which is handicapping me and i don’t understand how anet can brag about variety and meta gaming when a lot of classes don’t synergies as well. And having no control over a cats knock back makes your point mute. And i have no idea what a ingi is.

in PvP

Posted by: Stin.9781

Stin.9781

He meant engineer.

Anyways, all classes can play well, but not with any build. Thiefs cant bunker thx to the way stealth works, so you see only roamers. Some classes cant roam or roam bad as they got no swiftness or passive movespeed and so on. It all comes down what role can your class fill not how you want to play your class.

Former Devils Inside Thief R43