Trapping mechanics break stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

The on spot damage that a lot of traps put out allow classes like DragonHunter to burst down the lord way to hard. The lord can not avoid these traps the way players can, condi trapper rangers have similar capabilities.

Can we tone down traps or improve the AI so that the lord does stand in these traps for their full duration stacking TONS of burning or taking tons of unavoidable damage?

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Wait, are you suggesting Dragonhunter Traps are over the top? NO! :O

Some Dragonhunter players better get in here quick and defend these accusations!

(Nice use of a crappy Ranger reference to smooth it out)

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

The on spot damage that a lot of traps put out allow classes like DragonHunter to burst down the lord way to hard. The lord can not avoid these traps the way players can, condi trapper rangers have similar capabilities.

Can we tone down traps or improve the AI so that the lord does stand in these traps for their full duration stacking TONS of burning or taking tons of unavoidable damage?

I agree. Those silly Rangers and Thieves are over the top with their traps!

Oh wait…

in PvP

Posted by: hmmz.4186

hmmz.4186

And mes portal can port the whole team to the lord. I demand a nerf!

in PvP

Novuake.2691

And mes portal can port the whole team to the lord. I demand a nerf!

Pretty sure you didn’t read…

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Improve AI please. No nerfing of things because AI is too dumb to figure things out.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in PvP

Novuake.2691

Improve AI please. No nerfing of things because AI is too dumb to figure things out.

AI is harder to figure out than nerfing an unhealthy mechanic.

Besides traps are cancer in conquest as well in my opinion.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

AI is harder to figure out than nerfing an unhealthy mechanic.

Besides traps are cancer in conquest as well in my opinion.

So you want to nerf Rangers because of AI coding? Makes so sense. If anything Rangers Traps/Shouts/Spirits need buffs not nerfs.

in PvP

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

Haven’t really thought about the implications at all, so this may be a stupid suggestion, but could you give the Lord the same 95% damage reduction that pets have in PvE when they’re not specifically being targeted? It seems to me like the Lord is going to happily stand in any high-damage AoE, not just Traps. If you force players to target the Lord while using these skills, they remain effective when you’re focused on the Lord, but you can’t just drop them under the Lord’s feet and forget about them while you go to stall out the opposing team. Also seems simpler to implement than AI improvements.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Your complaint isn’t about trap mechanics, since DH traps work just like any other trap. Your complaint is really about trap damage on DH. The only way to satisfy your complaint would be to nerf DH trap damage specifically, which might kill the spec.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

Your complaint isn’t about trap mechanics, since DH traps work just like any other trap. Your complaint is really about trap damage on DH. The only way to satisfy your complaint would be to nerf DH trap damage specifically, which might kill the spec.

I think you are missing the point.

MAJOR reason this is an issue is that the NPCs can not move out of the trap and will often trigger the passing through damage on Test of Faith multiple times thanks to the break bar. I have even seen it exploited this way by gaining the NPC agro and leading him.

in PvP

Kuya.6495

It doesn’t seem to matter that it’s an npc. People are complaining about that trap regardless of whether it’s strongold or conquest, even after it was given an ICD on the damage the blades can inflict. It all goes back to trap damage which a lot of players feel shouldn’t be so high. Not surprising given that we never had traps that inflict high damage before in the game, and players aren’t used to being so punished for triggering them.

in PvP

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I’m not sure I understand how you think trap aoe differs from regular aoe. The lord stands in lava font and meteor shower…. the lord stands in wells… the lord stands in symbols etc. What exactly makes traps different?

Your argument is poor OP.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in PvP

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Oh no! You can do damage to the lord if you use skills!

Quickly, nerf something I have trouble fighting so I don’t have to make an effort to learn how to play!

That wasn’t subtle at all OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Rejerh.1784

Rejerh.1784

Isn’t that the same for any sort of AOE?

I mean elem stacks burn like a champ with 2 zones for example and can freeze the lord…

You sound like you have been traumatized by a good DH and instead of finding a counter play you just whinge. Am I wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

You mean like the countless ground targeted AOE skills in game

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Haven’t really thought about the implications at all, so this may be a stupid suggestion, but could you give the Lord the same 95% damage reduction that pets have in PvE when they’re not specifically being targeted? It seems to me like the Lord is going to happily stand in any high-damage AoE, not just Traps. If you force players to target the Lord while using these skills, they remain effective when you’re focused on the Lord, but you can’t just drop them under the Lord’s feet and forget about them while you go to stall out the opposing team. Also seems simpler to implement than AI improvements.

This is a good idea.

Also, OP, the same thing can be achieved with necro wells (even more so since they can go lich to push the damage even further). The only trap that needs a shave in damage is procession of blades. It does more damage than 100b AND is an fully fledged aoe. I guaruntee you that if this gets about a 20% or so nerf, you’ll find DH’s on point trap bombing pressure to be a lot more manageable.

(edited by SlayerSixx.5763)

in PvP

Kuya.6495

Procession of blades shouldn’t get a nerf. Its damage requires the target to stay in the trap during the whole duration of the animation. The only way this trap is viable is when coupled along with dragon’s maw that holds the target in place during procession of blade’s duration assuming the target doesn’t have stability.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

Procession of blades shouldn’t get a nerf. Its damage requires the target to stay in the trap during the whole duration of the animation. The only way this trap is viable is when coupled along with dragon’s maw that holds the target in place during procession of blade’s duration assuming the target doesn’t have stability.

You didnt read either, right? Keeping an NPC in the AoE is far from difficult.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Great lets balance a class based on how it does vs an NPC in conquest….

Never thought i would see a post like this.

LOL

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

So, any spell that is an AoE should get nerfed? Because that is what you are suggesting, most AoE abilities deal good DPS over their duration if targets stay in them, and AI doesn’t evade out of AoE’s.. Improving AI in general would be nice, something as simple as evading out of ‘red circles’ and having interrupts for ‘long channel’ abilities. Good news is the lord has a good health pool so it’s not like the other map with the lords that can be burst down by one player before you can react.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in PvP

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

How about defending your lane and gates to begin with.

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

Well, this is nerf is actually meant to assist the general balance. Mind you, I’m no DH hater (I only play guard and thief), but its quite obvious this trap does a little too much damage as a utility. It outclasses every aoe and every single target skill in the game by a good margin, save for probably fist flurry.

Sure, you can say that like 100b, it requires a setup, but 100b barely cleaves whereas this trap is a whole 360 aoe. I’m down for strong skills, but I don’t agree with one guy being able to press 3 buttons and instantly end a team fight. Read carefully, A TEAM FIGHT. Shave the damage so it matches WW (it’d still be hella strong, mind you) and I promise that there would be a substantial decrease in QQ.

Most of the DH QQ is coming from this trap but people don’t know it.

in PvP

Posted by: terrorshard.3854

terrorshard.3854

I don’t think Rangers will care if the traps get nerfed in any way. They aren’t playable as it is so no issue at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I dunno i see QQ on everything about DH these days. In fact most Medi DH dont even take the procession of blades trap.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

I dunno i see QQ on everything about DH these days. In fact most Medi DH dont even take the procession of blades trap.

People don’t know what they’re complaining about though. A primary complaint is the insta kill traps. Its procession of blades that’s doing the “insta killing”. Sure, medi trap probably doesn’t take procession of blades (although it should IMO), but its still a valid point that it does too much damage for a single skill. This point is further driven in when you consider PvE based game modes like stronghold and how bosses aren’t made to react to these things.