Unevadeable DH F1 pull too strong?

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I know I can still try to avoid the F1 spear throw in the first place. But if you ever get hit by the first part of F1 skill, you seem to be completely at DH’s mercy.

The second pull part is unblockable and unevadeable. During the whole time being attached to the spear, the only option is using an invulnerable skill. The DH can then use LB2 or some other hard hitting skill to bait out your dodge and then interrupt it by the pull and then chain together some other powerful attacks.

There are quite a few other pull skills in the game and they are all evadeable. I don’t understand why this skill has to be this extra strong.

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

the only option is using an invulnerable skill.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stability

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

It’s unevadable? I know it’s unblockable, but unevadable? But making a CC unevadable is too much.

in PvP

Posted by: Koto.1824

Koto.1824

I agree, gerdiun 2 stronk
But, gtfo before the DH pulls you into their traps, or popping a stack of stability would work. This skill is poorly designed. Kinda like scorpion wire x2

#1 Thief Antarctica
Still waiting for that Shield/Shield meta

in PvP

Posted by: Miles Smiles.8951

Miles Smiles.8951

Stability, out of range, line of sight, immediate stun break.

in PvP

Posted by: santenal.1054

santenal.1054

Does stun break remove the tether even when hes not pulling yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

The second part can be evaded; the first part cannot be evaded.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

DH is unevadable.

…he’ll always hit you with something

;D

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

I have noted this. DH cast times are too fast and they have too many undogeables. They have more access to undodgeables than thief has to unblockables. DH shouldn’t have superior cast times, interrupts, high aoe damage, unblockables, and undogeables, blocks and multiple heals in one kit. As if they don’t already have passive burning and multiple gap closers. The symbol/medi/trap guardian is broken right now. I fear facing those players who figures out how to land each of their instant skills in between dodges because it is done in legend+

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in PvP

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

The second part can be evaded; the first part cannot be evaded.

You got that backwards. You can evade them throwing the harpoon at you, but you can’t dodge the yank once you’re tethered.

in PvP

Zelulose.8695

It’s unique as unless you have stab-ability, the DH can sync instant and simultaneous casting of traps and other skills and wait for the right time to pull you and insta-gib up to 15k instantly or more if they get you with the shield 5/ test of faith combo.

Between thief and DH I rose to legend without much effort skill wise using DH so I know how broken DH is.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Yes of course its too strong. Needs to be blockable, have a shorter range, and better animation tell.

in PvP

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

If you think its too good, then I really believe you haven’t played.

the biggest issue I’ve found, other than a fairly long cd, is the LOS. Any little bit of terrain gets in the way and wastes the skill.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in PvP

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

I’m too burnt out to reply to threads like this and it’s posters appropriately atm. Zelulose seems to be saying everything about guard is OP and needs to be nerfed to the point any half decent thief can roll over them, to where they’re a liability over any other class, because supposedly they have better everything in one kit and it’s skillless. Despite outside the realm of thief and guard there are 7 other classes that exist.

@Fay, well i mean if you get hooked I don’t think it would make sense to dodge something that’s already connected to you.

@Yasha basically want it to be as kittencorpion Wire. Okay.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in PvP

Zelulose.8695

I just made a post about how they power creeped thief. I highlighted that DH has allot of assets at their disposal. However, I am against nerfs to everything. Just things that promote skilless gameplay. Every class has something that allows them to spam right now.
For DH instant skills and undogeable skills are not promoting reaction and skill based gameplay. I could say things about weaker classes such as thief. They should not have been given evades for 2 seconds at 50% hp or stun-breaks that refill endurance. This aLlows thief to take a hit, get surprised. Then evade spam in a panic till their healing skill/stealth is ready again. I am also against the amount of stability and regeneration engineer is given access to. Furthermore, I absolutely detest allowing Druids stacking stability with their elite and passive stun breaks given their insane level of healing. I am yet again against mesmers F4 as a unstated stun saver given it’s almost guaranteed to have stunbreaks in its kit. In fact, most of mesmers stun breaks are also its most useful defensive skills. I want play a game where my lack of mistakes and the enemies accumulation of mistakes matter. It’s already enough that each player is its own “monk” (a healer class reference from gw1)

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

Yes of course its too strong. Needs to be blockable, have a shorter range, and better animation tell.

It should be melee range to land, the purpose being to pull back in targets trying to flee.

Second half should be dodgable, evadable, blockable, fail to LoS, and catch all those terrain bugs

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

I have noted this. DH cast times are too fast and they have too many undogeables. They have more access to undodgeables than thief has to unblockables. DH shouldn’t have superior cast times, interrupts, high aoe damage, unblockables, and undogeables, blocks and multiple heals in one kit. As if they don’t already have passive burning and multiple gap closers. The symbol/medi/trap guardian is broken right now. I fear facing those players who figures out how to land each of their instant skills in between dodges because it is done in legend+

Are you actually suggesting that for the average player is easier to dodge thief than guardian? Pardon me! But I find much much easier to avoid an obvious target that require clean LoS to land 90% of his hits…respect to an invisible creep that can take 3/4 of your HP in less than an instant…and from 1200 range.

in PvP

Supreme.3164

I know I can still try to avoid the F1 spear throw in the first place. But if you ever get hit by the first part of F1 skill, you seem to be completely at DH’s mercy.

The second pull part is unblockable and unevadeable. During the whole time being attached to the spear, the only option is using an invulnerable skill. The DH can then use LB2 or some other hard hitting skill to bait out your dodge and then interrupt it by the pull and then chain together some other powerful attacks.

There are quite a few other pull skills in the game and they are all evadeable. I don’t understand why this skill has to be this extra strong.

-1) every profession has way to play around the pull
-teleport out from the traps
-stability
-invulnerability

-2) everybody can save a dodge and use it the second they get pulled in

-3) everybody can LoS the DH trying to use the pull, he won’t be able to pull you over from a lower level or from behind an obstacle

Not everything must be A to B gameplay…..

in PvP

Exciton.8942

the only option is using an invulnerable skill.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stability

Not every meta build has an on-demand stability like DH F3.

in PvP

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

-stability
-invulnerability

-3) everybody can LoS the DH trying to use the pull, he won’t be able to pull you over from a lower level or from behind an obstacle

I’d have to counter this:

1) Can’t teleport out of baby gates. Which if they’ve tethered you is step 2.
Stability & Invuln- thief only has 1 option- bandit’s defense…which is shorter than the trap lasts, and usually a guardian will already be ready to drop again as soon as it’s done.
2) You get pulled in…which is a knockdown… you get up and dodge because you’re taking 1/8- 1/2 of your hp in damage each tick depending on your build…congrats, you’re still in baby gates and get knocked down again.
3) Only works when you have terrain to get behind and time to get there… if you’re chained and not 1 step away from terrain change… you’re dead.

Overall, if you can manage to catch them on cooldown they are droppable without breaking a sweat. Otherwise, if you can manage it, use evades to close the gap… blind and dodge to get your damage in and get out of his trap before you get stuck in it. Unfortunately unlike the other classes dh traps are pretty much instant for him to set so you have to rinse wash repeat.

in PvP

Exciton.8942

-stability
-invulnerability

If you get tethered, obviously you want to run out of range or find LoS. But DH can immediately pull. If you waste a dodge, you are doomed.

Of course, you need to dodge after the pull. But again being pulled to close distance is already a win for the DH. He can play the mind game of pulling, waiting for you to dodge then burst.

The end result of this unevadeable pull is DH gaining an overwhelming advantage of mind game.

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

-stability
-invulnerability

Depending on the trap you’ll die if you teleport out. Meaning you have to burn both an invuln or channeled evade skill AND use a teleport. And good luck activating a skill if you’ve been dazed/stunned/cc’d.

Oh, and it’s a good thing capture points are covered with obstacles to LoS behind.

oh wait….

XD

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

-stability
-invulnerability

“teleport out from the traps” Is this a joke? lol

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

-stability
-invulnerability

1) teleporting out of traps makes you take dmg, sometimes even double due to… well how pathing works and traps being buggy; only few classes have high access to stab; same goes for invul; even if you teleport to gain range you still get yanked middle of the teleport even if you are already outside

2) um no, it actually interrupts dodge; i have done it many times, it does same as trap elite you actually get yanked mid of dodge

3) actually they can; i got pulled from behind the walls and obstacles plenty of times; worst part you often get launched into air and take fall dmg on top of it or get pulled into the walls if the walls are double layered so only option you have left is to relog; so no, LOS doesn’t really work so well. Worst part, the gamebreaking buggy pulls been there since HoT launch and Anet didn’t move a finger to fix them but heyyyyyyy they found plenty of time to slap few thief nerfs – dem priorities.

Love how people defend braindead broken buggy mechanics.

Attachments:

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Only way to fix it ? make scorpion wire work the same way on thief. Then DH will complain. Then they will fix the mechanic.

sigh…today is a salty day for me, sry anet.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Does stun break remove the tether even when hes not pulling yet?

No, but you can stunbreak while hes pulling you if you’re fast enough. You can also for example use mesmer staff#2 and “mitigate” the pull so it doesnt make you cross the trap

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

they just need to add a way to tell its going to be casted, like ranger lb 4 or warrior lb 5

in PvP

Supreme.3164

-stability
-invulnerability

If you get tethered, obviously you want to run out of range or find LoS. But DH can immediately pull. If you waste a dodge, you are doomed.

Of course, you need to dodge after the pull. But again being pulled to close distance is already a win for the DH. He can play the mind game of pulling, waiting for you to dodge then burst.

The end result of this unevadeable pull is DH gaining an overwhelming advantage of mind game.

Isn’kitten mind game also vs mesmer/thieves stealth opening?

In the DH case is several( dozen time ) time easier to win that mind game, the pull is just one, clearly visible and with plenty of time to counter it, if the dh use the pull after using his first trap rotations and you counter that, there will be plenty opportunity to pressure/kill him after wards before the second trap rotation is up, after which the dh won’t have his 50s+ CD skills available…so after the second rotation the dh is dead meat..easy.

If the dh uses a single trap…he won’t have enough dmg to worry you…assuming you’re not a full glass build in which case I’d call you a noob, because you’re out of place and out of role

If the dh uses multiple traps then he’s a noob and you should win easy…if you lose then you’re the noob ofc, it’s that easy.

DH is easy to outmanoeuvre, counter and predict..reason why you seen only one during WTS and reason why multiple DH team lose at high divisions

Ofc there is some exceptional DH out there who will beat you no matter what..but that’s just the player, it’s just one DH….

And before you ask…when I see 3-4 dh in the opposite team I use my ele (that’s like the only time to use ele as dh it’s the last remaining class an ele can actually counter and kill with good success)

Obviously I can still kill a dh with s/w druid, warrior, scrapper..you mention…it’s so kitten easy to kill an average dh..it’s not even funny

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

they just need to add a way to tell its going to be casted, like ranger lb 4 or warrior lb 5

Or like Ranger’s Raygun of a pet? That 7k damaging AI skill has no warning and 3x more dangerous than some unblockable pull.

Only way to fix it ? make scorpion wire work the same way on thief. Then DH will compla..

-snip-

Ya right, a Thief using scorpion wire is just asking for trouble lol. All Elite skills are stronger than core and shouldn’t be comparable in that way.

Torch on War vs Torch on Guard
LB & Traps on DH vs LB & Traps on Ranger
Staff on Ranger vs Guard, etc.

We all want what the other has, it’s called HoT powercreep and it’ll likely never change.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Yasha.5963

It should be melee range to land, the purpose being to pull back in targets trying to flee.

Second half should be dodgable, evadable, blockable, fail to LoS, and catch all those terrain bugs

I would prefer to have the core virtues buffed than tone down the outlandishly OP DH virtues.

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Only way to fix it ? make scorpion wire work the same way on thief. Then DH will compla..

-snip-

Ya right, a Thief using scorpion wire is just asking for trouble lol. All Elite skills are stronger than core and shouldn’t be comparable in that way.

Torch on War vs Torch on Guard
LB & Traps on DH vs LB & Traps on Ranger
Staff on Ranger vs Guard, etc.

We all want what the other has, it’s called HoT powercreep and it’ll likely never change.

In this case we want a skill that we can actually use without a 90% chance to bug on something ^^ Scorpion wire is even worse than spirit weapons.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Could just make it like Binding Blade and pull your target a short distance if they’re in an evade. Still get a form of CC but the target is given some reward for predicting the pull and using an evade. Stability and invulnerability are not ubiquitous enough for these to be the only ways to mitigate something like this. Maybe make it a 1/2 second cast time too if needed.

Gandara

in PvP

Posted by: Cheeseball C.8395

Cheeseball C.8395

yes plz make cast time a little longer like 1/2 cast or something with something easier to see and a sound que would be nice.. too fast! \(0A0)/

in PvP

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Or like Ranger’s Raygun of a pet? That 7k damaging AI skill has no warning and 3x more dangerous than some unblockable pull.

The bristleback’s F2 has an obvious tell, if you didn’t see the little turtle thing rear up on its hind legs before firing spikes at you that’s not the game’s problem.

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

The bristleback’s F2 has an obvious tell, if you didn’t see the little turtle thing rear up on its hind legs before firing spikes at you that’s not the game’s problem.

Actually you could fairly easily, legitimately argue that the game is at fault, since the pets position is not related to the Druids. Therefor the druid can be placed as such that, while focusing on him, the pet can sit outside your field of view and do as it pleases. In fact, the druid can create this effect by design.

Furthermore human beings have limitations themselves, seeing as you need to focus on the target you’re engaging to both land offensively, and react defensively (on the druid), the druid can freely cast F2 without tell/animation. In other words the Druid is a big distraction so yes, it is that easy to miss the “obvious tell” of something you’re not reading or even able to see.

XD

Nice try though!

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I like the DH virtues more than the guard ones because they are more interesting- actual skills rather than the more passive core guard virtues. But like nearly everything concerning HoT specs, it is difficult to understand why they are so strong.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

But like nearly everything concerning HoT specs, it is difficult to understand why they are so strong.

Because they needed to make them strong enough that people would use them actively. Otherwise they would end up like the old virtues (and a number of classes signets) and just never be used as to not put the passive on cd.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

But like nearly everything concerning HoT specs, it is difficult to understand why they are so strong.

Because they needed to make them strong enough that people would use them actively. Otherwise they would end up like the old virtues (and a number of classes signets) and just never be used as to not put the passive on cd.

Then nerf the passives to the point it’s crazy NOT to use the actives

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

The passives bad already. The f3 passive is 1 aegis every 40 seconds. The f2 passive is 84 heal. The f1 passive is 2sec of burning every 5 attacks.

You have to realize that the old virtue’s actives where just as bad as the passives.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

in PvP

Posted by: Paprikaspice.8462

Paprikaspice.8462

This was never a big deal when the DH was bottom tier. Please do not change this unique skill…it’s obviously not the mechanics of the pull that needs tuning.

You just have to avoid the first part. If it lands, the guard can get a cc off at a later time. This is both an advantage and disadvantage. An immediate CC like druid glyph or guard shield 5 can’t be reacted to. Even though it’s “unevadeable,” you can pop stab AFTER the chain lands. sure the guard has a little bit of time to decide on the pull time…the opponent also has some time to react.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

The passives bad already. The f3 passive is 1 aegis every 40 seconds. The f2 passive is 84 heal. The f1 passive is 2sec of burning every 5 attacks.

You have to realize that the old virtue’s actives where just as bad as the passives.

This is exactly why I like the idea of the new virtues. They are fun (much more interesting than the old actives). But they are incredibly strong compared to the old virtues, which is baffling because it means you basically have to run DH as a guard (or be much weaker).

To me its beyond a matter of nerf this/that HoT trait/spec/ability. I can’t help but think that HoT is an almost totally pve driven and inspired expansion, it seems to go against many of the core concepts that made GW2’s spvp so outstanding- like coming up with different builds, the level playing field, fairly clear tells, etc.

I still love the game (spvp), but really, wtf were they thinking when they made HoT? Obviously not spvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Lucred.1802

Lucred.1802

Stability works.

LoS doesn’t seem to even though it should (I’ve pulled people through cliffs/bridges/platforms/other significant terrain that LoS’s all my other abilities, especially and particularly the hills around graveyard and the bridges on Skyhammer).

Range is too large.

Stunbreak does nothing.

in PvP

Posted by: Lucred.1802

Lucred.1802

-stability
-invulnerability

-teleporting out of traps means you still take 2/3 of the damage as they activate during the pull while you’re still in the air. Stability works but not every class has it on-demand and not every meta build has it at all. Invuln works but is almost always on 3x the cooldown of the spear pull and not every class has it.
-traps activate while you’re still in the air during the pull. No class can use any skill while falling. This means you still take 2/3 or more of the total trap damage before you even have control of your character again to even hit the dodge key.
-LoS is extremely finicky. Some terrain blocks it that probably shouldn’t, some terrain that very definitely should block it doesn’t (such as getting pulled straight down through the bridges on Skyhammer or through an entire bloody mountain around the GY on Foefire). More over it’s inconsistent—some times the little mole hills and barrels won’t LoS it, some times you get pulled through 30ft of solid rock. I don’t know if this is a latency issue or just very poor coding but I absolutely refuse to play Ranked if my ping is over 50ms (it’s normally in the mid-high 20’s), and I’m aware I can’t control for server-side latency or other players’ latency.

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Not everyone is on a 4k 20" monitor, able to see a turtle’s hind legs “rear up” lol. When you’re mostly focused on Ranger and his boons, animations, etc it’s a bit difficult to see little legs stand up =/

Rev’s Glint heal & Engineers black dot of death are more noticeable than Ranger’s pet damages. You don’t know the attack is up until you see your health start dwindling down.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

@Saiyan yes other classes have more obvious tells, but I still think this is primarily a L2P issue. You should know that a lot of the current meta builds for druid/ranger (and indeed most builds in general for them) rely on their pets for most of their damage. So if you are fighting one of them you need to be careful of the pet as that is where the damage comes from. You should be aware of it, and focus it down first if possible

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

You should be aware of it, and focus it down first if possible

I’ve saved Focus#4 blind, ToF, F3 for the pet’s Armageddon attack, basically playing 100% right but had no success. I’ve swapped to burn burst DH. If I won once it was because he didn’t expect it. The second time the druid stay cleared of his pet, my attacks, and cleansed everything efficiently.

There’s no “bursting down the pet” strategy and I guarantee you that strat isn’t used in higher tier games because it does nothing.
(If you can burst down the pet fast then you can do that to the Druid)

There’s no “smart play” involved when fighting a Druid 1v1 but I will say Druids are more balanced on point as initial bursts and cc can take them out. It’s why this game doesn’t have a 1v1 gamemode, that area needs a lot of work. (3v3 is plausible though)

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

Nope, Bristleback’s barage isn’t instant, it takes around 1.5 seconds, plus it makes a very distiguishable sound.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Nope, Bristleback’s barage isn’t instant, it takes around 1.5 seconds, plus it makes a very distiguishable sound.

Only for ranger, it has 0 sound for enemy.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

-stability
-invulnerability

Isn’kitten mind game also vs mesmer/thieves stealth opening?

In the DH case is several( dozen time ) time easier to win that mind game, the pull is just one, clearly visible and with plenty of time to counter it, if the dh use the pull after using his first trap rotations and you counter that, there will be plenty opportunity to pressure/kill him after wards before the second trap rotation is up, after which the dh won’t have his 50s+ CD skills available…so after the second rotation the dh is dead meat..easy.

If the dh uses a single trap…he won’t have enough dmg to worry you…assuming you’re not a full glass build in which case I’d call you a noob, because you’re out of place and out of role

If the dh uses multiple traps then he’s a noob and you should win easy…if you lose then you’re the noob ofc, it’s that easy.

DH is easy to outmanoeuvre, counter and predict..reason why you seen only one during WTS and reason why multiple DH team lose at high divisions

Ofc there is some exceptional DH out there who will beat you no matter what..but that’s just the player, it’s just one DH….

And before you ask…when I see 3-4 dh in the opposite team I use my ele (that’s like the only time to use ele as dh it’s the last remaining class an ele can actually counter and kill with good success)

Obviously I can still kill a dh with s/w druid, warrior, scrapper..you mention…it’s so kitten easy to kill an average dh..it’s not even funny

He is right. I still main ele and am happy to get 3 DH on oposing team …
But it´s not aplicable to average or lower skilled players and also doesn´t help in random matches with low teamplay and nearly no class swaping before start.
There DH is low skill cap with high kill potential and stacked all “Noobs” are like instant kills. This doesn´t make a balaced game impression to the mass even when DH is out of copetative high tier teams.

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

Only for ranger, it has 0 sound for enemy.

What? I can hear it.